NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:04am
I'm trying to find the earlier style chrome Correct craft badge, I imagine there's no reproductions? I know I wont be happy with that 70's style reproduction.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:51am
Try a search, Trbenj had a thread about making badge reproductions, it didn't work out from an ecomomic standpoint. But, I believe in the thread a few people had extra sets they might sell.

I'm with you on making the boat what you want it to be. Maybe draw the line at adding a radar arch though.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:32am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Try a search, Trbenj had a thread about making badge reproductions, it didn't work out from an ecomomic standpoint. But, I believe in the thread a few people had extra sets they might sell.

I'm with you on making the boat what you want it to be. Maybe draw the line at adding a radar arch though.

Yeah I ran into a couple of those threads google searching, thats unfortunate, I'd pay about 100 bucks for a premo set.

Haha radar arch., god I wouldnt even put in a fishfinder imagine how awful that would look???

David, could you post some pics of your gauges and front bench seat pretty please? I want to make a seat extremely similar. And I would like to know what brand of gauges/style they had. It looks like I'm really not going to have the time this summer to aderess the dash but I can at least stock up on parts.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:47am
I'll take a look at what I have but might have to wait until I'm at the boat to take some new pics.

To show what a geek I am, I'm in bed typing this but my old original tach is on my nightstand next to the bed. I'm not even sure why, think I had it out some time ago and never put it back. It's a CC labeled tach. As a young and foolish 20 year old I took out this tach which wasn't reading right, and replaced with a larger tach, hole-sawed to make it fit. Oh, well.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 3:15am
Damn that looks hard to find! Thanks for the pic! Do you know the diameter of the gauge? I should at least find one that is the same size so in case I ever find a CC one it will fit right in. Theres an old box of chris craft, century and garwood gauges at the marina but I doubt any correct crafts
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:18am
It's a 2 3/4" gauge body, 3" across the bezel. The tach is a Westach brand, looks like model 50L. Here's the back of it, sorry for the not so good phone pics.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Yeah I ran into a couple of those threads google searching, thats unfortunate, I'd pay about 100 bucks for a premo set.

LOL, $100 for a "premo" set! Good one!

You'd be lucky to find a set that was completely pitted for that price... but they dont come up often. The ones I had made recently cost over $300/pair. Im working with a few new vendors to try and get the price below $250, and things are looking encouraging... but it sounds like the $30 plastic sets (original on 80-81 boats) would be more in line with your budget.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

but it sounds like the $30 plastic sets (original on 80-81 boats) would be more in line with your budget.

And, the non original set sure wouldn't hurt your "custom" build!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

but it sounds like the $30 plastic sets (original on 80-81 boats) would be more in line with your budget.

And, the non original set sure wouldn't hurt your "custom" build!

I really don't like the look though, I will probably buy them and put them on and wait until proper repos are available. I'd pay 250, but can't at the moment due to the scale of this project.

OR I could have the new style blasted and chromed that wouldnt be too bad! I know a guy that could probably just through them in with a batch of about 50 bumpers lol!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:19pm
Darn, I thought these were a die cast :( I'm not sure what it would take to have them dipped in the primer coat
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/correctcraftnameplateemblem.aspx
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:23pm

Darn, I thought these were a die cast :( I'm not sure what it would take to have them dipped in the primer coat
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/correctcraftnameplateemblem.aspx

Proper link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:27pm
If you want a dash without the big holes, I have the same color and year Mustang hull that you can have if you want to come to Maine and get it.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If you want a dash without the big holes, I have the same color and year Mustang hull that you can have if you want to come to Maine and get it.

If you could PM me pictures that would be great.

Do you have any parts off of it you would like to sell? I really want the original bow light, its pretty cool looking.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:32pm
Got my steering wheel, this is exactly the look I'm going for.

Also got the ski pole, which got me to a thinkin I'm going to have to mount this high because of how high the motor box is, which kind of sucks because I'm going to have to make it look proportional to the bench seat. :/

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:49pm
There was probably more than two different original bow lights.
What about those braided exhaust hoses? They look pretty sketchy to me, like maybe a quick trip to the bottom of the lake.

I'm curious to see what the dash looks like without the trick ski screwed on.

Nice wheel!!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 3:04pm
Just let your current bow light be a part of the whole "Custom Theme".   Tell people it's from a '71 thru '73 Ski Nautique.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

There was probably more than two different original bow lights.
What about those braided exhaust hoses? They look pretty sketchy to me, like maybe a quick trip to the bottom of the lake.

I'm curious to see what the dash looks like without the trick ski screwed on.

Nice wheel!!!

Thanks!
The bow light I see a lot on these look a lot like a flashlight suspended by two chrome legs, looks kind of cool. Theres plenty of neat looking bow lights on ebay to chose from, I scan them regularly.

From what I've found about those exhaust tube is it is actually refrigerant hose good to 500F to -80F. Costs seem to be about $90 per foot. I'm not worried about it, but I will probably replace it with aluminum or copper tube for the RUMBLE factor!

Just let your current bow light be a part of the whole "Custom Theme".   Tell people it's from a '71 thru '73 Ski Nautique.

Current bow light is some piece of perko plastic garbage, it looks god awful. Chrome baby, chrome
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 6:05pm
Yes, I've seen the flashlight bow lights.
They also make the flashlight anchor lights.

Plastic? Thru the rainy windsheild it looked like the standard round metal Perko.

Good to know about the 3" Braided. I was just assuming the internal rubber might not be USCG equivalent.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 6:27pm
Well,
It's not "refrigeration" hose. It's off the shelf braided flex used to connect plumbing where vibration may cause rigid pipe to fail.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:08pm
Looking at the tubing closer there isnt a single bit of rubber or nylon, its stainless steel flex hose, covered by a stainless mesh. The hose is welded to the intake receiver. Its about 10 gauge wall tubing, (which explains why they are so heavy!) I originally thought it was some sort of rubber core. I thought Todd told me they used it for refigeration on reefers.

As for the bow light, your right :D I honestly never REALLY looked at it. All I knew whever I looked at it I hated it. Based on the indention on the surface of the bow it had the light that David has on his.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:11pm

Yes, I've seen the flashlight bow lights.
They also make the flashlight anchor lights.

Missed this, its not ACTUALLY a flashlight but in the shape of one. If david can provide a pic of his original close up youll see what I mean
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:15pm
Got my control box in the mail! She will just about cover up the hole made by the old one. Very happy with this! Just another piece of "the look".

Also, to step away from the jeep project I ground the ball down and polished it. Got rid of the grey but it still has spider cracks.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:18pm
Oh, I know which one you're talking about, just wait till I post a pic of mine!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:40pm

Oh, I know which one you're talking about, just wait till I post a pic of mine!

Please do! All the pics I've seen are far away shots
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:41pm
Who's Todd?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:45pm
This bow nav light?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 7:50pm
Thats the guy! That looks awesome I'd love to have that!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 8:19pm
If you decide to get rid of the speedometer, I am interested-It is OEM on my boat and one of mine is cracked at one of the screw holes---so don't over tighten those.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 8:25pm

Thats the guy! That looks awesome I'd love to have that!

They are not easy to find. I believe the last member who did find one paid more than a couple hundred for it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:11pm
Jim, There's no rubber whatsoever in the stainless hose that was used for the exhaust, and yes it's about a 100 bucks a foot. It is NOT, as the self appointed expert all all things Correct Craft here posted an "off the shelf" hose, I assure you....nor is it used in standard plumbing. It is used on high temp, high PSI applications, like freon, steam and the like....ain't no boat exhaust going to burn though it...lol...The piece you have was about 12 feet long & I cut it in 1/2, to fit the length needed to reach the transom.... I ran the boat for 3 or 4 years without any issue...if you you could figure a way to polish it, it would look awesome....and still sound great. It will require some sealant at the thru hull as a hose clamp wont seal it, be cool if you made some custom thru hull that could weld to the stainless hose...
Looks like your really getting into this "custom"...I'm enjoying your progress! Thanks for the updates!
Todd
NO LONGER A MEMBER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 32>
  Share Topic