NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

okie boarder's house

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 10:41am
I didn't know Pete worked for Home Depot now....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 10:48am
Kreig and those hinges are for the novice weekender. Still a good product both but not what professional fabricators use, Actually you can get the european to go 180 deg if you need and want that but in almost any application 110 deg should be more than enough.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Kreig and those hinges are for the novice weekender. Still a good product both but not what professional fabricators use, .

Jack,
So now you want me to add a CNC to my shop?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 11:05am
What you going to make with the CNC Pete?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Andy,
Check with your contractor who is going to build the cabinets as to what type of hinges he plans on using. I've never liked the "European" types since the doors don't open enough.
Here's what I prefer:

Pull outs in bases and pull out trash bins next to the sink are great features.

Is he going to build traditional face frame with partial overlay doors? The box frame cabinets in my mind have always looked cheap and actually are!

Alot of the decisions are still up in the air and mainly up to us. In reality, we are building everything together, with him. He is providing the skills, tools and guidance and doing the tricky parts, but we are his labor. I like that hinge design and would agree with you on the european hinges. We're going to do the pull out trash bin in the island closest to the sink and see how that works out. We may add one later, under the sink, as a supplemental. Some areas we will plan for pull outs, but put them in over time after the house is done. I think we are leaning pretty heavily towards face frame.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 11:11am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

the open shelf above the microwave is a dust collector, put a top hinged door on it. same for the one to the right of the sink. are you buying an integrated oven /microwave? if so i would buy separate units. the failure rate on appliances is unbelievable. other than that i think you did fine . I know its outside the suggested designs but it looks to me that with that large island it will work good for a family. the island is one level? counter height or table height? if counter height i would multi level the side away from the kitchen

Hmmm, the dust collection is definitely something to consider. My wife is thinking she wants that open so she can have it as more of a display area, but we should keep the dust issue in mind.

We are buying a oven/micro combo unit. We don't like the looks of the separate units.

The island will be all butcher block top and all one level. We were looking at going with something a little shorter than the rest of the counter tops, but not quite as low as table height.

Something else I might mention is we are tossing around the idea of making the countertops a little higher than normal. The thought is to make the bases right at 36" and the tops would end up around 38". The bottom of the window in the kitchen is at 36" and we think this would let the countertop flow right into the sill of that window for a nice look.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 11:32am
Be very careful when you change counter heights. It could effect your dishwasher and vent above the kitchen stove for cleanence. Other things may be effected as well. I would stick to standard dimensions IMHO.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 11:34am
If we raised the vent hood the same amount as the difference in cabinets, that would take care of that issue, right?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 12:30pm
You need clearance above the vent by code so you'll be pushing up your uppers as a result. This in itself may not be a problem but you'll then have to look at your tall cabinets and see the effect. Your oven are is one of these. The dishwasher cannot be elevated usually so you''ll have to put a filler on top of that appliance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I didn't know Pete worked for Home Depot now....

Dave,
Part of my job search includes being called in twice for personal interviews. Guess where and for what position? Home Depot as a kitchen and bath designer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

What you going to make with the CNC Pete?

What would you like me to do with a CNC?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2016 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Okie Boarder Okie Boarder wrote:

Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

the open shelf above the microwave is a dust collector, put a top hinged door on it. same for the one to the right of the sink. are you buying an integrated oven /microwave? if so i would buy separate units. the failure rate on appliances is unbelievable. other than that i think you did fine . I know its outside the suggested designs but it looks to me that with that large island it will work good for a family. the island is one level? counter height or table height? if counter height i would multi level the side away from the kitchen

Hmmm, the dust collection is definitely something to consider. My wife is thinking she wants that open so she can have it as more of a display area, but we should keep the dust issue in mind.

We are buying a oven/micro combo unit. We don't like the looks of the separate units.

The island will be all butcher block top and all one level. We were looking at going with something a little shorter than the rest of the counter tops, but not quite as low as table height.

Something else I might mention is we are tossing around the idea of making the countertops a little higher than normal. The thought is to make the bases right at 36" and the tops would end up around 38". The bottom of the window in the kitchen is at 36" and we think this would let the countertop flow right into the sill of that window for a nice look.
you could always put glass in the doors to showcase whats in those upper shleves.. i agree with everyone. do not change the counter heights i would think your contractor will be honest and tell you the same thing
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 12:40pm
More progress...windows are in, patio posts are up and the fraidy hole is done. Data and coax lines are being run and insulation is getting started.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 12:48pm
Experimenting with a few ideas, also.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 1:47pm
Andy,
I had to look up what a "fraidy hole" is! Not having to deal with tornadoes much up here, they aren't common but if someone does have one, they are called tornado shelters!!

What's the bead board experiment for?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 12:20am
Fraidy hole looks pretty good. We're a little itchy after working at the house today...wonder why. ;-)

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 12:34am

Andy,
I had to look up what a "fraidy hole" is! Not having to deal with tornadoes much up here, they aren't common but if someone does have one, they are called tornado shelters!!

What's the bead board experiment for?

Yeah, that's a little bit of a local term.

Bead board is to play with the finish on our cabinets.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 6:01am
Andy,
I'm still wondering about the bead board? You also didn't mention what the stain/wash on the pine experiment is for? Did I miss something? It wouldn't be the first time!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 10:43am
The beadboard is to play around with glazing for our cabinets. We're planning for this type of look...

The wash/stain on the pine is what we're playing around with for finish on trim (baseboard, etc.). We're trying to go for the weathered wood look.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:54am
Sand blast the boards for a weathered barn wood effect.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 12:33pm
Andy,
Great minds think alike! The basic kitchen layout was done several years ago for the house expansion up here. Then about a year ago Diane and I started on the actual cabinet design. Here's a quick (not to scale) isometric I drew up for Diane to visualize since she has a hard time thinking 3D off a floor plan. Note that only a couple uppers are bead board and the rest are glass. We have decided on off white and no glaze for the cabinets as well as the appliances.

The kitchen being on the small side, the dishwasher is 18" and the frig/freezer is a 33" cabinet depth. The angled wall behind the sink is actually a chase for a wood burning stove in the living/dining area.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 12:43pm

$40k kitchen we are a day and half away from finishing, cabinets look very similar to what your looking at doing?

[/IMG]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 12:51pm
Joel,
Who's cabinets are they? We've really decided on the Holiday's. I really haven't found another brand that matches their quality. Last week I stopped in a rather high end cabinet retailer up here. They handled 5 brands and I was disappointed with what I saw.

I'm surprised at the full overlay doors.

Yes, the bead board seem to be real popular.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 1:09pm
Shrock, ordered From Menards...they do have a large overlay...theres only one spot (not in the picture) where she chose two 24" uppers next to each other with double doors that you have to have one or the other open because of the overlay....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 1:24pm
In my mind and I've run into others including the salesperson I saw the other day, full overlays just look like box frame cabinets even if they are face framed. It's just an opinion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:40pm

Andy,
Great minds think alike! The basic kitchen layout was done several years ago for the house expansion up here. Then about a year ago Diane and I started on the actual cabinet design. Here's a quick (not to scale) isometric I drew up for Diane to visualize since she has a hard time thinking 3D off a floor plan. Note that only a couple uppers are bead board and the rest are glass. We have decided on off white and no glaze for the cabinets as well as the appliances.

The kitchen being on the small side, the dishwasher is 18" and the frig/freezer is a 33" cabinet depth. The angled wall behind the sink is actually a chase for a wood burning stove in the living/dining area.

Yeah, definitely very similar...I like it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

$40k kitchen we are a day and half away from finishing, cabinets look very similar to what your looking at doing?

[/IMG]

Very similar...I like it!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 11:43pm

In my mind and I've run into others including the salesperson I saw the other day, full overlays just look like box frame cabinets even if they are face framed. It's just an opinion.

What are full overlays?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:34am
Andy,
A full overlay is where the door is almost the same size as the cabinet typical of a less expensive box cabinet. A partial overlay is used on face frame cabinets where you see a portion of the face frame. IE: If you have 1&1/2" stiles and rails on the face frame and the doors/drawer faces are a 1/2" overlay, you will see 1" of the face frame.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 7:24am
Looking good!
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
  Share Topic