NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 32>
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 3:24am
But wouldn't single 2x4 bunks flex the little bit to hit the surface near the transom? By doubling them up you've eliminated much of the flex.

Don't take my comments like I know what I'm talking about, I'm just thinking aloud here!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 4:04am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

But wouldn't single 2x4 bunks flex the little bit to hit the surface near the transom? By doubling them up you've eliminated much of the flex.

Don't take my comments like I know what I'm talking about, I'm just thinking aloud here!

They probably would, and that would probably be a fine way to go. I was just copying the way the last guy did it because I assumed that it was a problem in the past. The bunks that were there before were single 2x6's, so why didnt HE go the full distance? Just seemed too planned that they stopped where they did. If loading/unloading becomes a problem I wont scoff at having to do it over again.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

I'll regel mine someday Gary, maybe we can do ours at the same time haha, 2 for 1 special?

I'll tell you Peter,I'm in no hurry! I actually had fun doing the little I did and learned stuff also. I would certainly do things differently next time,like getting gel with the wax seperate so I could add it when needed. Quite surprised on how much I went through too.

Yes I'm sure I have quite a learning experience ahead of me, tough looking at spray painted spots over dings in the boat........
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

They probably would, and that would probably be a fine way to go. I was just copying the way the last guy did it because I assumed that it was a problem in the past. The bunks that were there before were single 2x6's, so why didnt HE go the full distance? Just seemed too planned that they stopped where they did. If loading/unloading becomes a problem I wont scoff at having to do it over again.

This is the route i'd take.

Do what you think is right and then go from there.
1970 Mustang
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2012 at 10:48pm
Trailer is done, going to put the boat back on tomorrow and drive up to get the motor.

before/after

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:00pm
Very well done alteration. Will the bunks be long enough they look a little short. Like the way the welded area will protect the prop and rudder. My fin boat has a similar setup and I think it is custom made also.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Very well done alteration. Will the bunks be long enough they look a little short. Like the way the welded area will protect the prop and rudder. My fin boat has a similar setup and I think it is custom made also.

Thanks. yeah we talked about the bunks earlier, I just copied what was on there because the bunks sit where the riding surface is. I can change it down the road if it becomes a problem.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:13pm
I really admire your metal working skills but I have to ask with that kind of capability why didn't you move the bunks inward like they would be on the correct trailer? They would support the hull better if closer and I suspect you could possibly fall off one side of the bunks pretty easily when loading the way they are now. Your work looks great so I'm just asking not criticizing.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:14pm
Should the transom sit on the bunk. Might help the stress.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:15pm
I see the Red and black color scheme worked it's way into your build I am curious about the bunk's length. Now that you added the extra bracing to protect the prop i would think the structure would be strong enough to support longer bunks to spread out the weight distribution. Maybe not?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Should the transom sit on the bunk. Might help the stress.

Not a lot of weight on an inboard transom unlike an outboard boat. Many of the early 16' & 17' boats sat on a #2 trailer with about 2-3' of boat hanging off the back. I'm not a big fan of those short trailers but there sure were a lot of them out there.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:17pm
On your prop guard, that looks to be really well designed and rugged. I find myself rubbing the ground with mine fairly often, I'm driving around a hilly yard and a couple of ramps I've used are really tight and uneven, and it scrapes pretty hard at times. Your design looks excellent.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:18pm
I just may be more important when it is a wood boat.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:27pm
Correct Craft let even their wooden boats hang off. Drooping must not have been a problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Correct Craft let even their wooden boats hang off. Drooping must not have been a problem.

I would never hang a wood boat like that Bruce,it will hog the bottom of any wood boat over time.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:45pm
I know what you're saying Alan, but that Atom probably sat on that trailer 49 years. I never checked it out to see if it did indeed sag, but it doesn't look like it in the picture. I guess it's a common problem on small Lymans that were on TeeNee trailers, but at the bow in front of the front roller.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Thanks. yeah we talked about the bunks earlier, I just copied what was on there because the bunks sit where the riding surface is. I can change it down the road if it becomes a problem.

May also want to put swivel mounts on the bottom side of the bunks so they conform to the hull when loading. Also knock down the inside edges of the bunks with a planer so you don't gouge up the new gel on those hard 90's..

Nice work though !!!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I would never hang a wood boat like that Bruce,it will hog the bottom of any wood boat over time.

Good point here and one I forgot. The 1950 Junior Utility did have a deep hog on the bottom because of the way it sat on the bunk short of the transom. The set was such that it even made a permanent set the frame below. Best to say all situations are different and the bunk may have not been in the right separation to begin with. As Bruce noted the boat in his pic has no such problem I can attest to that.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 2:54pm
To me there's 2 separate points being made here, what they did, and what makes sense. CC may have used short bunks, but we know that not everything they did made perfect sense from a quality standpoint. I don't think there's any question that the best way to carry one of these boats is on bunks that extend all the way to within a few inches of the transom. More carrying length (area) means less stress on a psi basis especially when driving on a bumpy road, plus more carrying friction keeping the boat centered and in place.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2012 at 8:38pm
I'd like to comment on the wood boats and bunks. The worst you can do is put a wood hull on a roller trailer. However if you bunk a trailer picking up around 4 to 5 frames close to the engine and then one at the keel close to the windshield (keel to stem intersection) then you will be good. Yes, there isn't very much load at the transom. The hogging is always due to uneven weight distribution (bad bunk layout/height).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 1:49am
Didn't realize bunks were such a contested topic lol. Got the boat back on the trailer, had to install the bow eye first.

Its a little nose low, I see why it was shimmed before. I will have to make some adjustments before I bring it back up north to put the motor in it.

Also got my bearclaw in the mail, I Really want good airflow through the boat and an exit for my horn box so this will kill two birds with one stone.
What is a horn box you say? well to be honest I just made that **** up. What it will be is a 3 In hole through the deck under the bearclaw going into a box under the deck where the horn will be. There will also be an airtube leaving the bottom of said box to the bilge for air flow.

I really dont like the deck mounted horns on these boats so I think this is a good solution.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 2:48am
Oh and the bearclaw and approx placement

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 3:20am
Just think of the discussions that will be had here when this thing is found in a barn 40 years from now.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 3:33am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Just think of the discussions that will be had here when this thing is found in a barn 40 years from now.

I only buy things like this once, it will be blown up or stolen before it ends up in a barn. I can promise you that
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Ha, we'll be geesers admiring our rebuild jobs of our 2007 196's, and inefficient the gasoline engine is and our $500 gas tank fill ups.
1970 Mustang
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 11:47am
I am enjoying this. Appreciate your talent, like with the trailer fabbing and such (I really like those kinds of lights). You casually mention these things like: Oh I turned the boat over today or I put it back on the trailer last night, without giving the details of how you do these things that would stump me, but you seem to knock out like its perfectly routine. How did you get the boat up on the trailer? Looks like to big a height difference just to have winched it up.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I am enjoying this. Appreciate your talent, like with the trailer fabbing and such (I really like those kinds of lights). You casually mention these things like: Oh I turned the boat over today or I put it back on the trailer last night, without giving the details of how you do these things that would stump me, but you seem to knock out like its perfectly routine. How did you get the boat up on the trailer? Looks like to big a height difference just to have winched it up.

Thanks, yeah if you have any questions dont be afraid to ask. I work at a marine and have picked up a lot of tricks because many people dont have their own trailers and we have to set boats on the ground! (thank god for roller trailers btw) To do this one I had one guy lift up the tongue of the trailer and press the skid plate into the ground. Me and another guy lifted up the nose of the boat until the nose was pressing against the face of the bunks. Then just cranked her on as the guy at the nose of the trailer pushed the trailer towards the boat. As the weight started to get pulled to the front the tongue of the trailer settled and leveled out. You have to remember too, this boat probably doesnt weigh 600lbs lol!

Flipping it over was much more difficult, we had two guys lift on one side and two guys "catch" on the other with the foam blocks staged underneath.

Some day I'll own two of those trolly hoists and I can do all this **** myself.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 8:52pm
I highly recommend bedding that bow eye backer wood in some thickened. epoxy. I feel it will spread the load out to the stem and not create stress points from the edge of the backer wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2012 at 9:05pm
+1 on Pete's suggestion but would add some cloth or mat there too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I highly recommend bedding that bow eye backer wood in some thickened. epoxy. I feel it will spread the load out to the stem and not create stress points from the edge of the backer wood.

Yeah I was thinking about it more after I did it, more in a rush to get the boat on the trailer to go save my engine from the dark abyss up north!

Well Ive been busy the past two days.
Got the exhaust, rudder housing and stuffing box installed. Neglect the extra caulk, it comes off easy once its dried.

Left at about 6pm yesterday, got there at 8, left by 10 got home by 12pm.

Today I polished up the strut and test fit it, what a nightmare! I found out why the old strut and stuffing box housing was so wallerd out, the stuffing box housing wasnt installed at the right angle, I will have to make and add a degree shim to make the new strut work, sad.

Then I modified my u joint puller so I could press off the coupler, worked like a charm! Just had to cut out a bit as seen in the second pic.

Continued vvv

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 32>
  Share Topic