NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:59am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I did find one about 30 miles from Steve W. but I'll have to work on the logistics! It won't fit in the back end of my Suburban and I don't think Steve has a pickup without a cap on the tail end!

The late 90s Chevy with the v-plow he just posted in your SNOW thread did not have a topper on it. Also, I don't remember his K10 having one either.

That lathe looks outstanding.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 12:29pm
That lathe brought back memories Pete. I didnt think it was possible until you said it was from 1948. My grandfather (passed away early 70s) was quite a woodworker and had that exact lathe in his shop, along with a band saw and a joiner/planer. Everything else was hand tools. Did nice work. Takes me back.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 9:33pm
Now for my confession.
My old high school electronics teacher used to let everyone build their own projects and then towards the end of the semester, he would have what he referred to as his “smoke test”. All the students would power up their projects and if it didn’t smoke, they would get a passing grade on the project! Well, what I haven’t mentioned is the first VFD I used on the lathe, didn’t pass the smoke test. In fact, it not only smoked, it also produced lots of sparks plus popped the breaker. What happened was with the power terminal strip being located on the bottom of the drive, I couldn’t see the terminal markings. Instead of getting a mirror, I went by the owner’s manual counting terminals from left to right. In the manual, there wasn’t a true diagram ID’ing the terminals but what I would call almost a sketch. If anyone has ever had the “pleasure” of dealing with a Chinese tech document, you’ll know what I mean!! I ended up crossing one of the L1 (a power in terminal) with a T2 (terminal out to motor). That VFD sure didn’t like it! Lesson learned – Use a mirror Pete

Now it’s on to using the lathe which I haven’t done since college. I’ve got some chucks of left over maple so I think I’ll turn a simple plate for my wife!

BTW, the second VFD works great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 9:32pm

Now it’s on to using the lathe which I haven’t done since college. I’ve got some chucks of left over maple so I think I’ll turn a simple plate for my wife!

It sure brought back some memories!!

Using the lathe confirmed that I do need to make a riser block for under the tool rest bracket. I did suspect that with the risers under the head and tail stocks and not being able to raise the tool rest up enough, it would create some issues with cutting. Another block of aluminum is on it's way from McMaster!!

My daughter saw the plate and knows about some of my old lathe projects so, she gave me a new one - A salad bowl set for her wedding! At least the wedding present won't cost me much!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 10:57pm
With that lathe sitting in my shop, I couldn't resist getting back into some wood turning. I went shopping for cheap bowl blanks and found plenty of weird and exotics are available on ebay but they are green blanks. Never having turned green wood before, I gave it a try. Some good and bad!!! You need to rough turn first then dry the blanks. Ether you wait a year or more for the drying or you put them in the microwave. I chose the latter and had mixed results. Lets just say it was a experiment!! Well anyway, I was out in the shop doing some turning when my daughter came out, saw what was going on and told me again what she want's for a wedding gift..... A salad 8 bowl/serving bowl set. Well, considering the time involved I should have just gone out and bought a set!!     Still, not hand made and personal so I took my daughter over to my hardwood lumber yard to look at woods. We both wanted something out of the normal domestics and toward the exotics but luckily for me, she did look at the prices. She decided on Jatoba which here is sometimes referred to as Brazilian Cherry. It's probably the least expensive of the imports comparing in BF cost to our domestics. The only issue is it is HARD and the only resemblance to Cherry is the color!! On the janka hardness scale, Ipe is first, then Ebony and 3rd is the Jatoba. With HSS tooling, I was constantly over at the grinder sharpening!!! (I need one of those fancy $500.00 sets of lathe tools from England correct Roger?)

Matching wood forks:

The serving bowl:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:18am
those are a different kinda bowl then what i use to make in woodshop
"the things you own will start to own you"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I did find one about 30 miles from Steve W. but I'll have to work on the logistics! It won't fit in the back end of my Suburban and I don't think Steve has a pickup without a cap on the tail end!

The late 90s Chevy with the v-plow he just posted in your SNOW thread did not have a topper on it. Also, I don't remember his K10 having one either.

That lathe looks outstanding.

Just saw this post for the first time this morning...nice lathe Pete! btw, probably too late, but HW is correct my 72 has no topper, my 97 plow truck has a tonneau cover that can be taken off in a couple minutes. Only the 96 has the "old man kit" on the back!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 2:12pm
Pete, Nice work, what a personal gift for your daughters big day. Despite its hardnes I have found jatoba flooring runs through a saw easier than maple, is turning different?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 3:39pm
Dave,
I found the Jatoba to be hard on tools. It was very difficult to maintain a decent edge on my HSS turning tools and the reason I mentioned I was constantly at the grinder!! For a B day gift, the wife and kids gave me a carbide insert turning tool from Rockler. It turned out to be a absolute joke. Someone didn't do their research and testing. The rake angle on the insert was so steep that it was impossible to control. It would grab any of the wood species I tried it on. Interestingly, all the write in reviews in Rocklers web site sited the same problem. Including mine, I believe there we 7. 6 people including myself sent the tool back for refunds! I can't stand Rockler anyway!!   

If you are having problems with Maple, it too is tough on blades. Even a brand new or freshly sharpened carbide blade will have a tendency to burn Maple. I suggest a Freud LM72 rip for ripping and maintain a constant feed rate. I know you're not doing a lot of Maple ripping but anyone who does, utilizes a stock feeder. Also, when was the last time you gave your table saw a tune up?

For your crosscuts in the miter saw, go for a Freud LU85 cutoff.

I've found the Freud's to be better than any other blades.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 10:44pm
I'm still having fun with the lathe. Here's the latest for my wife's birthday. Yes, I know it's not a good idea to get something cooking oriented for her but I hope she'll appreciate it since I made it. Ether that or she'll hit me with it!

It's hard to see a size reference from the picture. The pin itself is 3" dia. and 12" in length less the handles.

Greg, (or anyone)
Want to take a shot at ID'ing the wood?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 11:07pm
nice work Pete
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 9:36am

I'm still having fun with the lathe. Here's the latest for my wife's birthday. Yes, I know it's not a good idea to get something cooking oriented for her but I hope she'll appreciate it since I made it. Ether that or she'll hit me with it!

It's hard to see a size reference from the picture. The pin itself is 3" dia. and 12" in length less the handles.

Greg, (or anyone)
Want to take a shot at ID'ing the wood?

I will have a stab at Brazilian Kingwood, which if right is apt as its for your Queen, still think your living dangerous with that.....always give something that won't hurt when thrown.........sponges are good.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 10:26am
Roger,
Close but try again. You did get the genus "Dalbergia" correct. Think more in the orange tones.

BTW, I had to look up the genus!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 10:29am
Pete, the saying is more like, "never give or make her something that she can beat you on the head with"
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:10pm
Honduras Rosewood
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Honduras Rosewood

Paul,
Sorry but that's not it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 1:19pm

Roger,
Close but try again. You did get the genus "Dalbergia" correct. Think more in the orange tones.

BTW, I had to look up the genus!!

Lets have a go at "Cocobolo" Ideal for a rolling pin as its almost self finishing.....I had to get my swatches out for this one
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 1:22pm
Damn!!

Pete by the way that looks like the lathe my dad had when I was growing up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 3:30pm
Roger,
Yup, It's Cocobolo. I haven't turned any in years and really forgot how nicely it does turn. Of course after turning that Jatoba, just about anything would be nice!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 3:41pm
pete, what does one of your salad bowl sets cost ??? or even just one big salad bowl i would pay to have a set of hand made bowls. Why ??? i dont know it just seems american. Nothing but talent and i respect that. Not a company getting there products imported from somewhere else. Very cool
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 6:26pm
Halston,
I really appreciate the thought about having me do a bowl or set for you but right now, the bottom line is I simply do not have the time. Too much going on which is the case with many of us. Maybe when I retire in a couple years!

You can do a search for bowls. Lots come up as there are plenty of "artsy/craftsy" retired guys out there trying to make ends meet on social security! OMG, I was just reading in the Trib yesterday that SS as well as medicare will run out of funding. Ether I'll be lucky and be dead by then or Obama will fix it!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 2:20am
if Obama and his crew are gonna fix it we will be dead or broke or dead-broke..but in any case very unlucky.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 8:52am

Roger,
Yup, It's Cocobolo. I haven't turned any in years and really forgot how nicely it does turn. Of course after turning that Jatoba, just about anything would be nice!

Your Lathe would take a attachment like this, I'm sure you could make one up......this is off our Myford wood Lathe,with the right speed your be into metal too.

I would try the metal tooling...throw away tips type may be the way to go on the hard stuff.

lets have a go 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 9:17am
Roger,
Compound cross slides were a option with the lathe as well as 3 and 4 jaw chucks. I have been keeping my eye open on ebay!! The only problem is the slides have been selling for several hundred!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2011 at 11:09am

Roger,
Compound cross slides were a option with the lathe as well as 3 and 4 jaw chucks. I have been keeping my eye open on ebay!! The only problem is the slides have been selling for several hundred!

Your not alone Pete, the one in the picture sold for $362.00 in the UK, may be worth looking out for a mill cross slide as you have good flat bed to it and looks like good height to the head stock.....just make a plate that bolts on

The ones that are sold on Ebay worth looking up the buyer and see if they do allot of real hard wood turning my guess is they do
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 9:10pm
Well, I've finally gotten to making the project I really bought the wood lathe for! I've mentioned it before that I have a 1918 (rough guess) launch that one of these days I'll be starting a restoration on. I probably mentioned it in the thread on the 1927 Universal Flexifour I rebuilt for it. Anyway, the launch came with the original search light as well as the nav lights which as kerosene. The search light was originally acetylene using a generator with carbide and water like a miners light. It had been converted to electric I assume when the launch was repowered with a engine with electric. I will be converting it back to acetylene. I found that parts for the old model T gas headlights will fit like the burner and it's base. The actual generator is a different story - long gone and if you find one that works are way up there $$$$$!! I'll keep looking for one I can clean up and hide a bottle of Burnz-o-matic acetylene inside it!!

The problem with the light is the brass is in real bad shape and cracked. Old brass get's real brittle when the zinc leaches out over time. The same happens with brass screws and the reason only silica bronze screws should be used on wood boats. (There are some out there who have found this out - the hard way!!)

You can see there are actually pieces of brass broken out.

So, I need to have new brass spun but the big cost is the spinning plug that the metal is spun over. I had plenty of wood laying around so here's the results.

The finished plug for the main body:

The plug next to the light:

The finished plug for the door (bezel):

The plug next to the door:

The biggest challenge on both plugs is because there are male sections on the spinning, the plugs needed to be made so they could be disassembled in on themselves. Lots of screws and even some metal dowel pins inside.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 10:34pm
Pretty cool Pete, what gauge is the blank you use?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 10:43pm
i just saw 8 of those lights on e-Bay, they were new still in the box...and a buy now of 200.00 for all 8   lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2011 at 10:49pm
Steve,
The brass on the old light is .035" but that may be at a thick spot. With a spun piece of metal, the thickness varies quite a lot.

Eric,
Where did you find the lights on ebay? I've been there looking quite a lot (daily for weeks) looking for the burners. They may be model T lights but I doubt the same. How about a link??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2011 at 12:41am
I'm pretty sure Eric is pulling your leg Pete. Now how about that metal spinning? Are you able to do that or do you have to farm that out? At least there is no chrome involved!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
  Share Topic