NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

73 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 26>
Author
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 12:54am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

I don't see how I could just make the plywood a rectangle because to get down around the exhaust I have to put that L in it. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your concept...

Keegan, like this:

So put that in in before the floor and then glass the floor to that
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

So put that in in before the floor and then glass the floor to that

Well, yes- thats an option. I would put the wood in the transom first and glass the secondary to it. Id actually leave the floor a bit short of the transom though. That will give you access to the back side of the platform brackets bolts- so you can through bolt them top and bottom instead of lagging them.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 2:25pm

Id actually leave the floor a bit short of the transom though. That will give you access to the back side of the platform brackets bolts- so you can through bolt them top and bottom instead of lagging them.

Most definitely. I would leave as much open as you can behind the transom deck line.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:33pm
Got my feet wet today boys. 4.5 inch grinder with a diamond wheel.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:35pm
I used the guard as a guide to give me a lip around the edge for reference later.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:38pm
I dont plan to leave any original wood in the boat. The rudder port was solid, but had a large water stain. All the more reason to take these guys advice.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:43pm
The PO bragged about how solid that floor was. I stepped there after the glass was up and almost broke my foot when I fell through!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:45pm
Did not cut out the air box yet. Not looking forward to that at all.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:51pm
I got my first taste of digging foam just as the sun was going down. Had to pack it in for the day. That first part came out pretty easy with the saw, and a pry bar. Should be getting the engine pulled this week. The sooner the better!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 10:56pm
This is me last year behind this boat, and that is why I am doing this. There is absolutely no way I could have ever dreamed of taking this project on without the help of You guys. Thanks a million!

1973 Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2010 at 11:41pm
Keegan, keep chipping away

Looks like you made some good progress. I'd guess once you get the motor pulled it will make life easier when tearing things out. Keep up the good work and keep the pics comming!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 1:00am
Thanks I am motivated to get her finished as fast as I can. Being one of the smaller boats, it will be a lot easier to get around in there with the motor out for sure. I will keep "Chipping away"! I have a little over four months before the kids get out of school and they are expecting to spend long days on the lake and my wife expects to have the tan of tans by July.

130 days left till school gets out
Immediate goals
Foam removal- 3 days tops
Measure everything!- not going to get many, if any whole stringers out for templates. Luckily Jdiggs has some great blueprints.
Engine removal
Build jig to span beam for reference measurements.
Take photos
reread everything I have already read. Once you have been there all these threads make more sense.

1973 Skier
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 8:44am
When you get to the airbox you'll want the cables and wiring harness out of the way, and then you can cut it out and later glue it back in. There are a few pics of that in the pumpkin patch. Don't stress on the vent hoses; they'll be trashed anyway. Also, now is the time to take a million pics. Get a shot of everything from more than one angle and you'll thank yourself later!

Looking good and get all that stuff out of your way!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 4:23pm
Thanks I was really happy to actually get in there and do something. So far I have almost 300 pictures of this project. All the planning and documentation was necessary so I could wrap my head around this project. I will look at the air box part of pumpkin patch. People try to save that and put it back in?

Talked to my mechanic friend who is willing to barter me making him a website for his shop for pulling, storing, and painting my engine. Possibly replacing the rear main seal, definitely points and condensers. and all new hoses. Best part is we are doing it at 11am tomorrow morning!

Diggin foam this afternoon. People talk about how their foam was dry on top and wet on the bottom. Mine is wet right there on top. I am thinking the wake is not going to be nearly as big when I put it back together, but I bet it jumps out of the hole even faster than before.

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 4:32pm
I wouldnt attempt to save the air box... that seems more trouble than its worth! On my Ski Tique, I cut it out and threw it away. I kept the lip at the edge for when I poured the foam- that allowed me to shape it properly. I just covered it with glass like the rest of the floor- just like it was built from the factory.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 4:33pm
I would defnintely replace the engine seals while you have it out. Otherwise your nice new shiny bilge is going to get full of oil. Guess how I know...
Consider your tranny seals too. Check your timing chain. Mine was loose and just a few bucks to replace. You are already there, and these are cheap easy things to do.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 4:50pm
[QUOTE=Keeganino] , definitely points and condensers. and all new hoses. Best part is we are doing it at 11am tomorrow morning!
QUOTE]

definitely replace them... with a Mallory E-spark unit not new points and condensor, call Billy he as all the info you need.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 4:58pm
Bah, save your money on the conversion kit. Theres nothing wrong with points!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 7:27pm
Bah, save your money on the glass needed to rebuild the box.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:43pm

Bah, save your money on the conversion kit. Theres nothing wrong with points!

I agree. If if it aint broke dont fix it. I plan to stick with P and C's. Since I am bartering for the work that gives me a bigger budget for the engine, or should I say- a budget. Supposedly this engine has never been rebuilt.   I will see what my mechanic thinks. He actually owned this boat for several years so he knows the engine very well. It ran well in November but as wake slayer mentioned, there was oil coming from somewhere, and I don't want that in the restored bilge. New seals are a great idea.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2010 at 11:59pm
I know I showed it yesterday but this is another look at the spot under the drivers seat. I have no idea how the seat did not fall through the floor.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 12:02am
Unfortunately my stringers are not laid out like the ones in the blueprint. Notice the angle at the end of the (edit)secondary stringer.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 12:10am
I used the sawzall to cut around the perimeter of each cavity of foam and then used my wrecking bar to pull up large sections. I like the idea of a wire brush on the end of a drill to get all the stuck on pieces out. The engine is coming out tomorrow. Then I will have some room to work. Will also get the cables and wires out after the engine is out so I can really get busy.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 1:10am
You mean on the end of the main? Mine are blocks tacked on top of the mains with a piece of thin wood connecting them. Same thing in the front for the tabs for the kickboard. The tops of my actual stringers are straight.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 1:47am
I was referring to the secondaries. At the end there by the exhaust the stringer takes a cut towards the outside wall of the hull. Not the same as the prints I got from jdiggs. In fact the stringers are totally different. Grrrrr!

Back to the old drawing board...

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 9:31am
Get the engine out, all the foam and post some more pictures. I'd like to see a better view of the secondaries.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 11:36am
Keegan, you can still use the stringer patterns that JDiggs created. Same hull, same engine, same PCM engine mounts. Dont let the minor differences confuse you- theyre still compatible! Like I said, we're using them on our Skier.

The difference youre seeing in the secondary stringer is only in the exhaust cavity. In the newer boats (Ski Tique), they got wider sooner. Rather than wait until the last 6", they widened the cavity just aft of the motorbox. This was probably due to the addition of mufflers (which were larger in diameter than the copper tubes). Doing yours in the newer style would give you a bit more room to work with- installing your hoses would be easier and you would have the option of adding mufflers someday. It appears the secondaris are in the same place on both boats.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 11:48am
solid advice and bad jokes? some of the best jokes ive read were on CCF
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 11:51am
Pete, this may help you visualize:

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2010 at 12:06pm
Got it Tim, thanks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 26>
  Share Topic