Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 SN rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
Author
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 1:06pm
Thanks for the response.

I like the threaded rod idea, but my cradle slides under the forward deck and inch or two, which could pose a problem with regards of getting the cradle down over the rods? Has anyone ever tried drilling a hole to slide in a nut? I could drill an oversize hole, fill it with epoxy, and then redrill it the proper size. Slide a nut in the hole and tighten it up.

Good idea or would you run with lags and 5200. I will use the 5200 if I have too, but really want to stay away from it. I have had more than one occasion where I had to remove it and trust me, it sticks!

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 1:19pm
I was in your shoes not too long ago...

I decided to through bolt the cradle from the sides of the stringer. Remember, unless you want the cradle to be permanant, you need to be able to access the nuts on the back side- so this will affect your stringer/floor configuration around the motor. Cradles DO sometimes break, so I would resist the urge to make yours permanantly mounted! This is the approach we took on our BFN, but the main stringers on the v-hulls dont support the floor- so making a pocket to access the backing nuts was more straightforward.

You could do the rod trick, but Im not sold on the idea. I would think it would make installing the cradle a real PITA... gotta be precise to align everything. If one rod isnt perfectly vertical, good luck! As far as the cradle sitting below the floor at the front goes, that is true... but the original '86 floor had a removeable wood panel that went around the pylon. If you built something similar, it would give you full access to the cradle should it need to come out later.

I would give some strong consideration to simply lagging down from the top, just like it came from the factory. This is by far the simplest and most straightforward approach. I would think you could keep the 5200 around the top half of the lags (not the threads) which might make it a little easier to get the bolts out next time.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 1:45pm
Thanks TRBenj,

Yes, I'm going to reconfigure the stringers that allow me to have access to both sides of the main. The original confguration only had foam in that area, so I don't think it's a big deal. Do I really need to bolt it through the top?

I completed a restore about 5 years ago, where I installed a 230 hp volvo diesel in an off shore fishing boat. From what I remember, I only bolted it through the sides and not through the top.

Thanks again,

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Ranger Ranger wrote:

Yes, I'm going to reconfigure the stringers that allow me to have access to both sides of the main. The original confguration only had foam in that area, so I don't think it's a big deal. Do I really need to bolt it through the top?

No reason to bolt through the top that I can think of if you sufficiently through bolt it.

Keep in mind a few things when you build the pockets for the backing nuts.

-Water will make its way into these pockets... how will it get out?

-Is your motorbox wide enough to cover the new pockets?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 2:29pm
Jeff
You have made a lot of progress since I checked in last! Looks great. Did you use that 24 grit grinder disc yet. Those things eat up glass in a hurry!
Peace
Keegan
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 2:56pm
The deck is going to be the same, so the engine cover will remain as it is. The area that needs to be opened up is full of foam, so it's not structural. I am going to run another piece of fir, from the rear cross brace (by rear of engine) forward to another cross brace (forward cradle). It will leave me a 3 inch wide path between the stringer and deck support. I will also cut a 2 X 2 angle in the bottom of the cross braces for water to come and go as it pleases.

Hopefully this makes sense?

Also, if I understand you correctly, you don't think I would need to bolt through the top, if I am through bolting on the sides. Correct?

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 2:57pm
Keegan,

Yes, I used mostly 24 grit on the hull. I had the entire length done in about an hour and a half.

Thanks again,

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 3:07pm
Yes, no need for lagging from the top if through bolting through the side, IMHO.

Your extra bracing and draining to form the pockets makes sense as well. From the sounds of it, you are not refoaming at all? I dont see any drains cut in your ribs- will you be adding some to allow all the water to get to the drains?

I know many people who rebuild without foam simply allow all compartments to drain together and drain to the bilge. The first part (draining together) is fine by me, but the second part (draining to the bilge) worries me. Any drain point then becomes an intrusion point, which can let water in under your floor very easily. The pockets at the side of your motor would be a very big intrusion point as well- and as soon as the water gets down in there, it will run where it pleases.

We built our BFN so that all of the compartments will drain together, but there are no obvious intrusion points, ie, they dont drain to the bilge. Instead, we chose a few low lying spots where water will collect if it somehow makes its way below the floor. We made a few access points ot these spots so we can pump water out if need be. Ive seen an early glass boat (no foam) with a free draining structure with a drain hole that became clogged with leaves, etc from the bilge... which ended up holding a ton of water under the floor. Yikes.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 3:26pm
Yes, I will have the corners cut on the bulkhead pieces. In fact they are already cut. I also will not be using foam in the rebuild.

In my experience with other boats that I have had, each compartment has drained to the bilge. However, these boats also had scuppers which shed the water off of the deck. That being said, I don't think I want to have smaller compartments for me to drain. I would rather make sure everything drains to the bilge so that I can pump if necessary. Water in, water out.

Yes, I would agree if you let your bilge build up with leaves or other debris it could be a problem. But I would also suggest that if I become that negligent, I would have other larger problems at hand. In other words, one should take care of their equipment.

However, I'm not closed minded (inspite of what my wife says) and I would certainly like to hear other view points.

Thanks,

Jeff
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 3:28pm
Tim, my skier didn't have any foam from the factory and has drains to the bilge at the transom. We also have a drain hole in the transom.

I haven't seen any problems with this set up and find it pretty convenient that everything would go into the bilge should some water get under the floor. As soon as the bow comes up (either on the trailer or in the water) everything flows back and the goes into the bilge. Once it's there, everything stays between the mains and you can either pump it out or pull the plug.

Seems like a far better set up than having to check access panels in the floor for water....or worry about intrusion in the middle of the mains.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 3:39pm
Tim,
You allowing debris to dirty up your bilge??? There must be someone else who is using your screen name!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 3:50pm
Chris, the whole point is to not allow water under the floor in the first place! I do not intend to have to drain, ever... but in case I do, I can. Basically the same as a foam rebuild, except you can get the water out if it finds its way in. It seems like inviting it up there via the bilge is asking for trouble... all it would take is a misplaced dryer sheet or a few errant leaves to block a drain located out of reach and youre in trouble. I dont neglect my stuff either, but things like that make their way into my bilges from time to time. Maybe Im alone on this one, but draining 50 gallons of water from a '65 CC with a plugged drain was not a pretty sight.

As far as no-foam constuction and a drain hole in the transom being factory work in 1970, I have a pretty hard time believing it. My understanding is that foam became standard equipment around the '66-67 timeframe. Ive yet to see a CC with a drain plug like that... maybe someone here can clarify.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 3:51pm
I do have another question. They seem to never end. Since I plan on bedding the secondary this weekend, can anyone give me a hint on the mixing ratio for adding mil fiber to epoxy and what is the optimum consistency? I am also thinking about 4 or 5 cinder blocks as weight. Will that be enough?

Thanks again,

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
You allowing debris to dirty up your bilge??? There must be someone else who is using your screen name!

Yes, I have to admit Pete that a dryer sheet or 2 (my critter detterant during winter storage) has escaped my attention. And yes, I have found leaves in my bilge too. Maybe its because I winterize during the FALL, instead of the summer.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:01pm
TRBenj,
As I read my above post, it might seem as though I was suggested that you didn't take care of your equipment. It certainly wasn't my intent. What I intended to say was that if I keep the bilge area clean, the leaves and debris shouldn't be an issue.

You make a good case with regards to foam. I certainly would rather have a place to get the water out, then nothing at all.

Something to ponder!

Jeff
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:12pm
Jeff, no offense taken. I do think that if you can guarantee your boat will never get a piece of debris in the bilge then you will be fine... I must use my boats too much be at that comfort level.    Like I said, Im in the minority with this- just something to think about.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:12pm
Tim, remember, the first gen skier was a bare bones version of the stang hull from the 60's. From all the research I've done the slant 6, no foam and other left out features made this an entry level boat. I do believe the transom drain is original....since it's the only on in the boat! The few first gen skier's I've seen came with the same drain location.

I agree, keep it out in the first place. In my case, the floor was wrapped in the "wall paper" covering material then screwed down into the primaries and secondaries. This allows me to pull them in the winter and replace (not that I would ever need to).

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:15pm
Jeff, sorry for the thread jack....just seemed like it could be a viable option if you wanted to have access to the outer sides of the mains for your cradle.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:21pm
Chris, really interesting. I know foam was an option on the early glass hulls- maybe when I had read it became "standard", that was a model-specific thing. Interesting, as I would have thought it was safety driven. As far as the transom drain goes, I thought you meant it was located outbound of the main stringers... but Im still surprised they didnt put a regular hull drain on it. It doesnt seem like that would be anywhere near the low point unless the boat were put on an incline... what a PITA!

Edit: Maybe Im confused... what exactly were you suggesting he do with regards to the drain? Use some sort of drain plug on his stringers like you have on the transom? Thats not such a bad idea, but it assumes that all the water would run to one common point. Not sure where the water forward of the engine bulkhead would be able to drain unless you were to add a plug there too.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Ranger Ranger wrote:

I do have another question. They seem to never end. Since I plan on bedding the secondary this weekend, can anyone give me a hint on the mixing ratio for adding mil fiber to epoxy and what is the optimum consistency? I am also thinking about 4 or 5 cinder blocks as weight. Will that be enough?

Thanks again,

Jeff

I was told equal amounts filler and resin, but to really get it thick it seemed to take more than that using the cabosil. A firm peanut butter consistency will make it easier for the epoxy to fill any gaps. It gets runnier as it starts to kick so keep that in mind. I used a lot more weight than a few cinder blocks, but 6 or 8 blocks would surely do it.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:29pm
I think my last questions got passed over. But, can anyone give me a hint on the mixing ratio for adding mil fiber to epoxy and what is the optimum consistency? (Bedding the secondary’s) I am also thinking about 4 or 5 cinder blocks as weight. Will that be enough?

Also, I just received a brand new DUI distributor. I'm about to open the box, which will be the highlight of my day. I love the UPS girl!

Thanks again,

Jeff
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 4:56pm
I was just saying it has be convenient to put openings under the stringers where they meet the transom. ( as long as they are sealed properly.)

I haven't had any problems with getting wanter out of the boat. But I'm sure it would be a pain of it lived on a lift and I couldn't pull the plug on the ramp.
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2010 at 5:52pm
Nice progress Jeff!

With regards to draining into the bilge, why not find some rubber stoppers that could block water and junk from going either way until you pull them to let it all dry out? That way, you've got control of what may or may not get in there. Keep them in place while the boat is in use, then pull them in the winter to let it all air out.

For what it's worth, most of the sail boats I've worked on have inspection ports into any area of the hull that isn't open. Like TRBen built in.
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 12:59am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Use some sort of drain plug on his stringers like you have on the transom?

Tim - Funny you mentioned this. On my previous (OB)boat I rebuilt the transom, which included a 'drain pit'. Since I had previous trouble with water & mice getting up into my foam (up under the floor) I glued in some PVC tubing in the bulkheads & used those small cam-lock drain plugs.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 12:20pm
Thanks Keegan for the advice. I'll start with a 50/50 ratio and see what it looks like.

I have seen people say they use cabosil and others say they used mil fiber. Isn't the mil fiber better for bedding and cabosil for the fillets?

Jeff
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 3:50pm
From what people have said it seems that a mixture of the 2 makes a very strong, easy to use consistency. While the milled fiber makes it stronger the cab thickens better so you are probably right about the fillets. I repaired my bucket seats before I bedded or filleted anything which gave me a chance to experiment with it before I got to the real part. I found that the bilge side fillets are the hardest to do because it slopes downhill so you have to be sure you make the mixture extra thick there.

1973 Skier
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 4:00pm
I recall a discussion of that in TRBenj's BFN thread.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 6:31pm
more likely than not a rebuild of this magnitude is in my future...i really appreciate all the details and photos...keep up the good work
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 8:12pm
Keep up the good talk! Just purchased a 80 SN..process of doing secondary stringer repair. New at this...first boat owner. Any info about chemicals, wood etc. please let me know!
Matt R.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2010 at 8:48pm
B: Bust
O: Out
A: Another
T: Thousand
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic