Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Barracuda Chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 4:04pm
Its all good! Mark if you can remember 1 or 2 points and apply it to your technique each time you out on the water...you will be rockin. I hope you have some passionate peeps that enjoy the sport as much as you. It is great to feed off of someone elses energy or to have someone keeping pushing you! Dry land, dryland, dryland.
Barracuda Chick
Stress dissolves when exposed to water
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 5:17pm
I'll work on the suggestions and post the results next time I go, hopefully Friday.

Thanks!
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 10:48pm
Hey mark do you think we can switch to Thursdays?
I am off from work from my main job but on occasion i do have things to do during the day but I would plan on getting on the water by 4pm. I will bring my boat this time so you can feel the difference between boat generations.
I hope your wife is feeling better. You missed out on some nice glass water Sunday morning my father and brother are hooked on going out on Lake Zoar now. My brother and I footed 3 times each just off the boom.
I feel like I am getting way better then my brother his form is way off, legs are too straight and stuff like that. It was funny he taught me how to get up barefooting but he used to do it with his college buddies back 10 or so years ago so he is relearning everything the right way and now that I am getting my form right he is working on it the best he can because of his family obligations he doesnt have time to do the research from videos with little time on the computer.

-Phil
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 12:47am
Lookin good Mark. Nice water too!
Lots of good advice here. Keep at it and keep the vids coming.

-Brad

They say tucking your chin helps with the falls. It happens so fast though, you can't react in time. So, instead just ski around with your chin tucked just in case

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

I tried a tumble up. The arm holes on the jump suit I'm using are too big and I didn't like the spray bruise I was getting;

Glad to see you've got the order of blame correct- always the equipment first

Once you get into the right position that should stop. At least is did for me... thank God!
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 11:15am
Next I will blame my feet. ;)

Phil,

Thursday's do not work for me. The reason that we go Mon and Fri's is that my wife is home those days with the kids, the other days I have to watch them after work. Sunday's will be our next best bet.

It's cool you can show your brother how it's done now. Did you guys try doubles off the boom?

Mark
1978 Nautique

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 1:18pm
Mark, I viewed the video again. Not a big deal, but that boom could come down to shoulder height.

Gotta disagee with "skiing around with the chin down." Chin needs to be up; need to look out at the horizon. Ron Scarpa Watersports sell a nice neck brace if you are worried about face plants and neck injuries. I bought one as I am going to start in on back deep starts here.

As far as blame: I gotta go with the "driver" first, then equipment. Always blame the driver...LOL LOL LOL... :-)
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Gotta disagee with "skiing around with the chin down."

That was a joke Lakeboy- notice the at the end?

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2008 at 2:08pm
OK, so I am a little thick over here. I read your post on my e-mail, not the thread. I missed the winky fella. My bad...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 7:43pm
OK, I must live in heaven here. Fot the last 2 weeks the conditions have been UNREAL. Air 90 deg. water mid-70's and NO WIND. See the pic below for what the scene was like heading out for a set yesterday with my boys and barefooting legend Willie Farrell.

This slough, off the Sacramento River Delta, runs 2 miles with only a slight dogleg in the middle, barely noticeable at 40 MPH. BTW, it is too narrow to slalom thru, so us footers get it to ourselves.

Among other things, I finally dialed in the cheek out: getting outside the wakes on the butt. Also started crossing the wakes, and spent quite a bit of time working the back deep start. My camera died early so I do not have footage to offer. Hoping to get out Friday/Sat for a couple of sets.

Cheers

Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 8:10pm
Awesome!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 8:26pm
Below is a decent cheek out, but from a couple weeks back. What I did here was sit up as soon as possible and edge to the wake before the boat gets going too fast. If the boat gets too much speed the water is harder, and more difficult to edge into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wA2oUQ80bI

What I did yesterday was this: I am shooting to get out to the left, so as soon as the boat starts, I fight my way to the right, then in one fluid movement, while sitting up, lean hard to the left. Sitting up helped me because when I lean, my butt drops in the water like a fin.

As soon as you get to the top of the wake, stop the lean or you will roll over the wake.

You may want to hahve the driver play with the speed. Key, though, is start moving immediately, do not wait for the spray to clear, etc.

Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 8:37pm

As soon as you get to the top of the wake, stop the lean or you will roll over the wake.

My problem is I have such a tight ass that I get a lot of spray while butt riding and can't see the wake, so I charge at it and flip over it. I've started wearing shorts (non padded) underneath and definitely helps.

DMJ makes the cheeking (and skiing) look so easy!
Barracuda Chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 11:53pm

OK, I must live in heaven here. Fot the last 2 weeks the conditions have been UNREAL. Air 90 deg. water mid-70's and NO WIND. See the pic below for what the scene was like heading out for a set yesterday with my boys and barefooting legend Willie Farrell.

This slough, off the Sacramento River Delta, runs 2 miles with only a slight dogleg in the middle, barely noticeable at 40 MPH. BTW, it is too narrow to slalom thru, so us footers get it to ourselves.

Among other things, I finally dialed in the cheek out: getting outside the wakes on the butt. Also started crossing the wakes, and spent quite a bit of time working the back deep start. My camera died early so I do not have footage to offer. Hoping to get out Friday/Sat for a couple of sets.

Cheers

Well...I was excited to still be on the water and it is October. Unfortunately, water temp is about 60 degrees and the air temp today was a high of 57. It rained part of the day and winds were at about 15-20 mph. Yep...the water was a bit choppy. This weekend we are supposed to possibly get snow flurries in the mountains! Enjoy what you have! Anyone want to assist in the raking of leaves??????
Barracuda Chick
Stress dissolves when exposed to water
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

My problem is I have such a tight ass..

Quinner...you out there..listening to this kind of talk??

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 1:17pm

My problem is I have such a tight ass while butt riding and can't see so I charge at it and flip it over.

Really Hollywood? LOL ;)
1978 Nautique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 2:02pm

My problem is I have such a tight ass that I get a lot of butt riding, so I just flip over. I've started wearing underneath and it definitely hurts.

Thought this was a Barefoot thread, not a Bare A*$ thread!

Freakshow came out to our Lake last weekend, he was digging around in the ski gear and found one of Alex's old BF Suits which happened to have some pink stripping on it, sure enough caught him loading it in the trunk of his Caddy later that day.

No question, that Boy has some issues!!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 2:28pm
Any footer has issues, let's face it..."sumpin' ain't right with that boy...skiin' in them barefeet."
Got Foot?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2008 at 11:14pm
Here's one of the latest fall runs, maybe the last depending on the weather we get shortly.

I tried to get my feet more forward instead of right underneath me. It felt like I was doing it correctly on the bar but it still looks like I need more angle on my back,

Oh I tried some one foots too(pathetic) And there's my standard finish at the end.

1978 Nautique

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2008 at 2:25am
The good Lord makes this soooo easy to brag about how sweet the conditions were for another glassy go-out here in the central valley of California.

I am still reeling from a groin-pull working my back deep, but I was undeterred. Good day to work on my one foots. Here is some video of the action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVjGog6Tezo

These were shot last week:

Long line wake crosses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW4OEGAgqII

Failed back deep attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEhSFZVAQwE

The picture below was snapped hours ago. This the sweet glass, 80 degree air, and water dipping into the low 60's. A footer's dream:

Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 2:25am
Still footin', still learning.. I took in a nice set on Sunday AM. Bit cooler as you can see the full suits. Still working on the one foots, making lots of progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTq50_6aKQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdHcl_nnGHg

Going out with the legend, William Farrell on thursday. Hope to learn a few tips from the ragin' cajun.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 4:07am
Looks like this thread is dying. My drysuit just showed up today, so I will be posting thru the winter!

The footin' weather in the Sacramento Valley is still INSANE! We went out on to the Sacramento Deep Water Channel and ripped 4 hours of skiing with no other boats to be seen. The water was 67 and the air 85. We skied with the barefoot legend Willie Farrell and learned a thing or two. Here is some sweet video:

long line wakes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sJdi90GA0

One-foots and tumbles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKK6N0J7AU

Dig the water:

Got Foot?
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 9:53am
Man! I missed this post early on -- skimmmed through a good bit of it, but it's so long I just fast forwarded here to add my 2 cents!
First of all booms are for sissies! And I liked what I heard about going as fast as you can cause it's more scary that way!
Alrigth, alright, I'm just kdding about the booms -- wish I had one when I learned way back when.
BUT -- I'm serious about going exceptionally fast. I think it's easier and there's a lot less chance of tripping and falling when you're going fast. Especially since I think early on in this post k.o. mentioned weighing 250. I weigh about hmmm? I don't know anymore? At least 225 right now and I can tell you, going 38 or even 40 it's pretty hard to stay up (for me) and you can't see for all the spray! With most folks here, and all these small block powered inboards, you're looking at about 44 mph +- and I'd suggest that heavier folks use all of that! I've gotten used to even mid to high 40's when I barefoot (with my sterndrive Cobalt that can reach the mid 50's). Yeah, it's kind of fast but it works for me and I don't fall a lot because of the high speed. I footed behind a MasterCraft X-2 a couple of years ago. The guy said he was going wide open and I thought I was going to drown. I think that boat is more of a wakeboard boat though. Pretty boat and big (20'+?) with a big wake, but it's top end must not be real great).
CAUTION about going fast -- be ready to fall. It can be a little rough falling at that speed if you don't fall back or tuck -- try to protect your head (ears).
I saw folks talking about the knee board starts. That's how I learned, but me and my ole' ski buddy Jim did it different. We would both start on our knees and get into a seated position after the boat took off running slow (like 12 or 15?) and then, once into seated position, we'd sort of lay back a bit and give the driver the thumbs up to acclerate. Here's where we were different. Jim would put his feet in lightly from the slow speed to the max speed and the board would sort of lift under under you due to the spray from the insides of your feet and end eventually fall out from under him and he'd be on his way.

I, on the other hand would wait until the boat was up to speed and then put my feet down once I felt I was going fast enough. Not sure there's a right or wrong choice here? Thinking back, Jim's way seemed more controlled; it's a little squirrelly and can be bouncy (which is BAD!) sitting on a knee board going over 40 mph with your feet up in the air!

Then, there's the step off method (already mentioned above) that is a real good way to start I think too. I learned that back in the 70's too and like someone here mentioned, removing the rear binding (the heel part) from a ski helps a lot. I prefer starting outside the wake so that your initially bare foot (your rear foot) is "toward the wake." It just feels right there because when you eventually kick off your ski, you'll be sort of pushing on the one foot and it will hold you out there in the smoother "outside of the wake" water. Also, it seems less critical to use an extra long line that way. Once up to speed, just put your "bare" foot in the water and distribute the weight partially on to that. Lean back "a lot" when you step out of your ski because for an instant you'll be on one foot. Just make that as smooth as you can and it works well. This is just a personal preference and how I learned. Kepp in mind, since you start this way, and since it's your first time, your whole ride will liekly be "outside the wake." Crossing the wake baerfoot is a little tricky at first (just like it is on skis at first) and is a later lesson.

Oh, and I guess it goes withouth saying, it helps with all of this to have really smooth water. You'll probably fall 10 times as much if you're in rough water when you're learning and that can make you feel like it's impossible!
It's really not hard once you get the hang of it and if you heed the "smooth water for learning" warning! Good Luck, break a leg and all that... Well maybe don't break a leg...
Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2008 at 10:27am
Wow! The Don Mixon video (above) is absolutely incredible! When I said (also above) that barefooting was "really not hard once you get the hang of it" I meant exactly that "just barefooting (learning and the 2 starts described)!"

Those tricks, on the other hand are...
...well, tricky.

As I watched, I could feel a torn hamstring or a "messed up for two weeks" back with every twist and turn.

All I can do that I'd call tricky is a deep water start, crossing the wake and a tumble turn.

Those rapid backwards one foot wake crosses were amazing! Not to mention the flips, etc. etc.!
Inboards Rule!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 5:36pm
The weather in California's Central Valley continues to blow minds, and with no wind, it is a barefooter's dream.

My footing career which started in Mid-June continues to grow, having hooked up with good barefooters that go out a lot.
Here's the latest:

One-foots and one-foot one-hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UyhRIIen0M

Wake crosses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWPrcMF2sM&feature=channel

Back Deep Attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4QsyNG-xJ4

I know this thread is quiet as a lot of the footers are digging snow right now. I will do my best to keep it alive.

Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 5:24pm
Roy, did you see my post on how to make hyperlinks?

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 6:58pm
I did not see that post, but it looks easy. I think I will try one.

here we go. This was my first attempt at a toe hold yesterday. I barely got my fingers off the handle...

Toe Hold Face Plant

Thanks, Hollywood.
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 7:57pm
Roy,

Just a thought if you want to start working on toe-holds, now that your starts and footing are solid, lower the boom a bit so the line more mimics long line. The toe-hold will be lower and easier to get to.

HW, Nice W2W bombout.   
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2008 at 9:27pm
Tique,

thanks for the tip on the toe-holds. I asked my friend who's a very experienced footer if the boom height mattered and said Andre DeVillers does them over his head. My answer to that was obvious considering Andre is 21 and a Pro.

I will lower the boom, and "crunch" forward a bit.

Got Foot?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2008 at 2:33am
Sweet bombout HWood!

Lakeboy, you're making great progress! On the toe holds, definitely crunch forward and pull the handle in a bit (think of pulling your elbows back). The hold may seem high, but it's not that far away.
Take one hand off and place it behind your knee(hand opposite your ski foot), then let go with the other hand. This will not only make you real solid, but it sets you up for your next one foot trick

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 152>
  Share Topic