NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 SN rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 12:55am
Jeff,
I you use a compass or divider its easier.
Set your stringer level then take the compass and set it to the widest gap you have. Then run the compass the length of the stringer keeping it square with the stringer and wah-lah done deal.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 1:45am
When I first set it in, I use a compass. But it never seems to get me as tight as I want to be. So, I usually follow up with the pencil. Basically the same thing, but the pencil is always set at 1/8 inch.

Jeff
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 1:49am
Matt, there are several ways to skin a cat and if you use the search function on this site, you will find all kinds of reading material. But I would bet that for every person you find that says plywood is the answer, you will find an equal number of people who will say use fir, or composite, or coosa, or??? it will just keep going.

I'm very happy with my choice and feel very confident that I wont have any issues in the future.

Jeff
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 2:06am
I think it depends on the region you're in as well. Doug Fir is readily available in California so it's a good option. Other parts of the country have to special order it.
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Matt R. Matt R. wrote:

talked to a guy who has redone boats for 16 years and i asked him about dug. fir. because i am having trouble finding dug. fir and when i do it's outrageous in price. he told me he would not use fir but use a marine grade plywood with non oil in the plywood. Says it is much stronger than fir because you can make it whatever thickness you need. And also do you know the difference between the different types of marine grade plywood..with and without oil.

Sorry Matt but the guy doing boats for 16 years doen't know what the he's talking about!!!! Plywood stronger than a Fir solid? He sure isn't much of a engineer. Every layer of veneer the grain of the wood is rotated 90 degrees. In a stringer application, you want all the grain running fore to aft and not vertical. If you can't find Fir, take a look at LVL. All the grain in the veneer layers run the same way - the length. We have a member who's currently using LVL (microlam)

Also, what does he tell you to do at the ply splice needed due to the lenght issue? Scarf? Sister?

BTW, I've been working on wood boats for 42 years. If your friend what's to talk, I'd be happy to give him some advice!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 10:19am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Jeff,
I you use a compass or divider its easier.
Set your stringer level then take the compass and set it to the widest gap you have. Then run the compass the length of the stringer keeping it square with the stringer and wah-lah done deal.

The actual scribing is the easy part. It's the angular change of the cut fore to aft that's the challenge!! Scibe both sides and go after it with a power hand planer. Some hear have gotten cheap ones from Harbor and found them to work very well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 10:22am
I knew it wouldnt be long
"the things you own will start to own you"
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 11:25am
Pbrain,

That's how I'm doing it. I scribe both sides and use a power plane. Once I get it close, I usually finish it up with a belt sander. The main is just taking me a little longer than I expected.

Jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 1:51pm
Six pages and one secondary bedded this thread may top them all

Man all it takes is someone talking about their wood to get a good rise out of Pete!!!
Sephmu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 2:57pm
Just saw this thread today, loving it! I remember doing stuff like this with my Dad when I was your son's age (not quite as involved as a re-string though!) and it was that kinda work that turned into my hobbies later in life...as with most here I assume.

One word of caution...In 10-15 years, your driveway will become your son's workshop!!!

I don't have my own garage at the moment and after rebuilding my trailer etc. this summer in pops' driveway, and seeing him shake his head at all the rust flakes and paint everywhere, I can't help but laugh and remind him that he started it!

Keep up the good work, I really admire all you guys for your time and effort you put into redoing these classics...
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Man all it takes is someone talking about their wood to get a good rise out of Pete!!!

Out of context this is truly a Hollywood moment
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2010 at 7:09pm
Hey, I have another question. My craddle has 2 - 3/8 in aluminum blocks between itself and the front motor mounts. Does anyone else have these blocks? I would think that I should raise the craddle 3/8 of an inch and loose the blocks. I'm sure I have the room to drop the rear mount and therefore keep the same angle.

What does everyone else do?

Jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2010 at 12:07pm
How 'bout a pic.
Mine didn't have any. Are they like a shim under the mount or under the frame itself.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2010 at 1:48am
It's a block that sets above the craddle, but under the mount. Just a flat piece of aluminum stock. It looks like someone might of used it to get the front of the engine a little higher.

Jeff
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2010 at 1:06am
I know this is a threadjack, but for engine mounting hardware, should one use stainless steel lag bolts, or is there something stronger for this. I plan on sleeving the thru-bolts with thickened epoxy and using ARP bolts, or the like. This doesn't apply for an '86, it's for a 2nd generation hull with the motor mounts bolted directly to the stringers.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by charger496 charger496 wrote:

I know this is a threadjack, but for engine mounting hardware, should one use stainless steel lag bolts, or is there something stronger for this. I plan on sleeving the thru-bolts with thickened epoxy and using ARP bolts, or the like. This doesn't apply for an '86, it's for a 2nd generation hull with the motor mounts bolted directly to the stringers.

The stainless lags are fine. They are stronger than the material you are bolting into, so they are not a weak point.

Jeff, I suspect the aluminum shims were used to dial the alignment in. The critical thing is that you get the height of the mount itself correct. If you can be more precise with the stringer height to accomplish this without the shims, more power to you. Dont forget that any changes in the front area may impact the rear mounts as well. Also take a look at the mounts themselves- if they arent at the center of their adjustment range, dial your stringer height in accordingly.
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2010 at 5:57pm
I checked the mounts and from what I remember, I have plenty of room. I will most likely increase the height of the cradle an 1/8 of an inch so that I won’t have to use the shims.

I obviously didn't get anything done to the boat last weekend. But my truck is just about done. The repairs could of easily been finished within the weekend, but since I went with several aftermarket parts, it took me a while. But I should be back with the boat this weekend.

Jeff

Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 12:17pm
We'll, it seems as though when I'm ready to get going on the stringer, something gets in the way. I had planned on finishing the main over the weekend, but it rained all day on Sunday. From what I understand, we will have rain for about a week and a half. To make matters worse, I have to go in for knee surgery this Friday, so I will be laid up for another week. (I guess it really depends, but I’m counting on a week)

So, hopefully, I will be able to get the main finished and bedded by the end of November. In the meantime, I will be staring out the window like a school kid wanting to go play in the mud.

Jeff
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2010 at 2:14pm
Jeff
It would be nice if all responsibilities could take a break while we rebuild our Correct Crafts! I had a lot or rain delays and more than a few honey-do lists that had to be completed to keep the peace. Good luck with the knee. I am probably counting the lake-worthy days left on one hand for 2010. I hope to completely re-wire the boat this winter and get all my gauges working before 2011. I was racing time to get on the water before fall and skipped a few things that I would have done if there had been more time.
Peace
Keegan
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 1:26pm
Since my Truck is running great and my knees are on the road to recovery, I'm itching to get going again. But I have a question with regards to setting the boat back on the trailer. When would the hull be strong enough to drop on the trailer? After you bed all 4 stringers or would you wait until you glass all 4? Or would you wait until the floor is actually in?

I would probably leave it setting on its stands until the floor is in, but with the winter season here, it would be nice to move it in and out of the garage. Just thought I would throw the question out there and see what others have done.

What say you?

Jeff
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 3:10pm
Jeff,
I'd get some glass over the stringers and not just rely on the bedding before you move it back to the trailer.

Pictures!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 3:24pm
I think I would agree. If I have all 4 down and glassed, the hull should be strong enough for me to set on the trailer. I could then back it in the garage during the rainy season and complete the floor.

I still haven't bedded the starboard main, but I'm hopeful that I can get back to it this weekend. Since I'm still on crutches, I probably won't get much done. But I can try!

Jeff
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 9:04pm
I agree with Pete. I used dug fir on my rebuild and had no problem(check out my stringer project last spring...."75 Skier Stringer Replacement). Yes, it's expensive but well worth it and for piece of mind. My cost including gas to and from Atlanta(400 miles)ended up being about $85/piece. They were 2"(acutally 2")X 10" X 14. I chose the lower of the two grades. The premium grade would have run me $160 per board

Scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2010 at 11:13pm
Scott I am pretty sure that he has already bedded the ports and is using DF.

I would glass the stringers before moving it. You dont want any separation to occur and that hull has some flex to it. Kinda like taking off the bra

Glad you are mending and the truck is back. Kids are out of school tomorrow and it will be pushing 80 so we are hitting the lake in the morning for the first time in a few weeks. Gordie my 9 year old is raring to ride the kneeboard.

1973 Skier
Ranger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 1:35pm
Hi Keegan, I was hoping that someone could of convinced me of otherwise, but I think after they are all glassed, I'll drop it on the trailer.

Have a great time at the lake.

Jeff
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 8:24pm
I have a question for Pete or whoever. Could a person use Cyphrees for stringers? Just a question.
Matt R.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Matt R. Matt R. wrote:

I have a question for Pete or whoever. Could a person use Cyphrees for stringers? Just a question.

I would not use Cyprus for glassed in stringers. It's a oily wood and you would have problems with the resin bonding.

Why, do you have a bunch of it? Hard time finding Doug Fir?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 11:21pm
OH is a long way off, but it still might be worth shipping a pallet. The D fir sweetwater had has been there a little while and is ripe for use. They even have D fir ply. I've tried glueing a few other species since I did the boat...the bottom line is epoxy likes D fir!

Just like Pete said it would.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Matt R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2010 at 11:30pm
No Douglas fir is hard to find in this area. I did come across a lumber yard that was able to get me 1 x10's 14' doug fir for secondary stringers. My intentions were to only replace the secondary's. Primarys did not look bad but the more I look I may need to pull the motor and do some work on primarys. Don't if the lumber yard can get the 2x12 doug fir. I know you mentioned something about LVL. May be able to get white oak...would that be a possibility?
Matt R.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2010 at 6:32pm
Oak is heavy, rigid and not very rot resistant. DF is crucial for many reasons. It has a very high load/span rating, is springy, has excellent rot resistance and it drinks CPES and epoxy giving you superior bonding. Before trying to reinvent the wheel I might spend a little more time trying to find DF in your area. It took me a couple of days of calling dozens of local and not so local lumber yards before I found one that ordered it for me. Even if you have to spend a whole day going to pick it up that will be time well spent. For a project of this magnitude you gotta do the legwork. There is not much instant gratification to a rebuild. Take the time do it right and you will not be dissapointed.

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic