Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

off topic winter projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6789>
Author
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 11:07pm
nice work Pete
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2011 at 10:44pm
I'm still having fun with the lathe. Here's the latest for my wife's birthday. Yes, I know it's not a good idea to get something cooking oriented for her but I hope she'll appreciate it since I made it. Ether that or she'll hit me with it!

It's hard to see a size reference from the picture. The pin itself is 3" dia. and 12" in length less the handles.

Greg, (or anyone)
Want to take a shot at ID'ing the wood?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 3:39pm
Dave,
I found the Jatoba to be hard on tools. It was very difficult to maintain a decent edge on my HSS turning tools and the reason I mentioned I was constantly at the grinder!! For a B day gift, the wife and kids gave me a carbide insert turning tool from Rockler. It turned out to be a absolute joke. Someone didn't do their research and testing. The rake angle on the insert was so steep that it was impossible to control. It would grab any of the wood species I tried it on. Interestingly, all the write in reviews in Rocklers web site sited the same problem. Including mine, I believe there we 7. 6 people including myself sent the tool back for refunds! I can't stand Rockler anyway!!   

If you are having problems with Maple, it too is tough on blades. Even a brand new or freshly sharpened carbide blade will have a tendency to burn Maple. I suggest a Freud LM72 rip for ripping and maintain a constant feed rate. I know you're not doing a lot of Maple ripping but anyone who does, utilizes a stock feeder. Also, when was the last time you gave your table saw a tune up?

For your crosscuts in the miter saw, go for a Freud LU85 cutoff.

I've found the Freud's to be better than any other blades.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 2:12pm
Pete, Nice work, what a personal gift for your daughters big day. Despite its hardnes I have found jatoba flooring runs through a saw easier than maple, is turning different?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I did find one about 30 miles from Steve W. but I'll have to work on the logistics! It won't fit in the back end of my Suburban and I don't think Steve has a pickup without a cap on the tail end!

The late 90s Chevy with the v-plow he just posted in your SNOW thread did not have a topper on it. Also, I don't remember his K10 having one either.

That lathe looks outstanding.

Just saw this post for the first time this morning...nice lathe Pete! btw, probably too late, but HW is correct my 72 has no topper, my 97 plow truck has a tonneau cover that can be taken off in a couple minutes. Only the 96 has the "old man kit" on the back!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:18am
those are a different kinda bowl then what i use to make in woodshop
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2011 at 10:57pm
With that lathe sitting in my shop, I couldn't resist getting back into some wood turning. I went shopping for cheap bowl blanks and found plenty of weird and exotics are available on ebay but they are green blanks. Never having turned green wood before, I gave it a try. Some good and bad!!! You need to rough turn first then dry the blanks. Ether you wait a year or more for the drying or you put them in the microwave. I chose the latter and had mixed results. Lets just say it was a experiment!! Well anyway, I was out in the shop doing some turning when my daughter came out, saw what was going on and told me again what she want's for a wedding gift..... A salad 8 bowl/serving bowl set. Well, considering the time involved I should have just gone out and bought a set!!     Still, not hand made and personal so I took my daughter over to my hardwood lumber yard to look at woods. We both wanted something out of the normal domestics and toward the exotics but luckily for me, she did look at the prices. She decided on Jatoba which here is sometimes referred to as Brazilian Cherry. It's probably the least expensive of the imports comparing in BF cost to our domestics. The only issue is it is HARD and the only resemblance to Cherry is the color!! On the janka hardness scale, Ipe is first, then Ebony and 3rd is the Jatoba. With HSS tooling, I was constantly over at the grinder sharpening!!! (I need one of those fancy $500.00 sets of lathe tools from England correct Roger?)

Matching wood forks:

The serving bowl:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2011 at 9:32pm

Now it’s on to using the lathe which I haven’t done since college. I’ve got some chucks of left over maple so I think I’ll turn a simple plate for my wife!

It sure brought back some memories!!

Using the lathe confirmed that I do need to make a riser block for under the tool rest bracket. I did suspect that with the risers under the head and tail stocks and not being able to raise the tool rest up enough, it would create some issues with cutting. Another block of aluminum is on it's way from McMaster!!

My daughter saw the plate and knows about some of my old lathe projects so, she gave me a new one - A salad bowl set for her wedding! At least the wedding present won't cost me much!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 9:33pm
Now for my confession.
My old high school electronics teacher used to let everyone build their own projects and then towards the end of the semester, he would have what he referred to as his “smoke test”. All the students would power up their projects and if it didn’t smoke, they would get a passing grade on the project! Well, what I haven’t mentioned is the first VFD I used on the lathe, didn’t pass the smoke test. In fact, it not only smoked, it also produced lots of sparks plus popped the breaker. What happened was with the power terminal strip being located on the bottom of the drive, I couldn’t see the terminal markings. Instead of getting a mirror, I went by the owner’s manual counting terminals from left to right. In the manual, there wasn’t a true diagram ID’ing the terminals but what I would call almost a sketch. If anyone has ever had the “pleasure” of dealing with a Chinese tech document, you’ll know what I mean!! I ended up crossing one of the L1 (a power in terminal) with a T2 (terminal out to motor). That VFD sure didn’t like it! Lesson learned – Use a mirror Pete

Now it’s on to using the lathe which I haven’t done since college. I’ve got some chucks of left over maple so I think I’ll turn a simple plate for my wife!

BTW, the second VFD works great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 12:29pm
That lathe brought back memories Pete. I didnt think it was possible until you said it was from 1948. My grandfather (passed away early 70s) was quite a woodworker and had that exact lathe in his shop, along with a band saw and a joiner/planer. Everything else was hand tools. Did nice work. Takes me back.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:59am

I did find one about 30 miles from Steve W. but I'll have to work on the logistics! It won't fit in the back end of my Suburban and I don't think Steve has a pickup without a cap on the tail end!

The late 90s Chevy with the v-plow he just posted in your SNOW thread did not have a topper on it. Also, I don't remember his K10 having one either.

That lathe looks outstanding.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:00am
It's when the new neighbors move in with all their jet skis, tubes and bring all their friends and stay up all night hooting and hollering when you really wish you bought the property.
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2011 at 10:00am
John
About 20 years ago a 7 or 8 acre parcel came up for sale just across from my driveway, I contacted the realtor and got the legal description and walked it off it was all wooded and cheap. Well I dithered and delayed and several months later someone else got it for the price of a halfway decent used car. I have kicked myself ever since.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 8:25pm
I hear you guys loud and clear. It's very rural around the lake, but I keep trying to convince my wife the same thing. I'm sure 15 years from now I'll be kicking myself if I don't buy it. Maybe I'll make an offer just for fun.

Pete,

My full time home is in Maryland, so we've been dealing with the Chesapeake Bay Act for years. You can't hardly go near the water without a permit.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 6:26pm
No doubt!   One thing about "land", they quit making it a long time ago.
Well, except for the Arabs.

Nice lathe, Pete.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If you live on a lake and you can by land abutting you now for cheap, buy it! before someone else does.

+1 !!!!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:19pm
If you live on a lake and you can by land abutting you now for cheap, buy it! before someone else does.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:14pm
John,
I wish I had that amount of room to work with. Wisconsin is pushing through some new ruling around lakes to control water run off. You can't exceed 30% non permeable of your land square footage. They consider gravel drives and septic fields non permeable!! Keep your eye on the 5 acres. Maybe you can talk to the owner and at least get a "first right of refusal".

Eric,
It's basically a woodworking shop. I have two projects on the back burner. The first is all the millwork (no doors), two staircases/balustrades and flooring out of local Red Pine. The other is the restoration of a 1918 launch I have (the 1927 Universal Flexifour is going in it). From there it's anyones guess! Maybe I'll be looking for another CC woodie!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:09pm

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

What amazes me is that that perfect shop looks like any now that you've moved in!

Kevin,
The picture was taken in my garage here at home. I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire. I will certainly enjoy it with the dust collector - and won't have to put up with Eric's sawdust comments!!

As I've watched the thread on the garages/shops, I've always thought that it must drive you crazy to have such an awesome shop developing, but not be able to use it. I have a similar situation at our lake, where there's five acres across the street from me (REALLY cheap) that would be perfect to build a shop, but I can't stand the thought of it sitting there for years on end without me being able to use it. I'm not as close to retirement as you. Hurry up and enjoy that thing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:06am
Pete, what will be your specialty in your new shop?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:02am
Pete, I got bit with the sht to, it starts as soon as i get up in the morning, I have to carefully remove a coffee cup from the cabinet not allowing it to touch another one, same with the creamer, as the day wears on, i have to blink my eyes as each car passes on the freeway...just a touch of it though. lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete,
Is that the same air compressor you loaned to me back in 1987??

Yup, still running except it doesn't walk all over the floor since I put the rubber vibration mount under the front foot! And yes, as you found out, it does need a 20 amp circuit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:35pm
Pete,
Is that the same air compressor you loaned to me back in 1987??
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 4:28pm
Pete, Stay healthy my friend. I (we) want you to enjoy the new building for many years.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 11:01am

I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire.

Now I understand why your wife went along with such an extordinary shop. She wants you to have a place to go!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

What amazes me is that that perfect shop looks like any now that you've moved in!

Kevin,
The picture was taken in my garage here at home. I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire. I will certainly enjoy it with the dust collector - and won't have to put up with Eric's sawdust comments!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:14am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 9:45am
Pete, has your sub-conscience named your new place yet? i would bet you call it the wood shop???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

The plastic feather boards worry me more.

Greg,
I missed this post. I must have been busy answering Peter's!!

Yes, PLASTIC!!! It does sort of rub me the wrong way!! But, I've made plenty of wood ones and they just never seem to work like the purchased. Plus, you do need some time to make a decent wood one and start with some real clear good material. Then, there's the clamping or fumbling with C clamps!!

What you're looking at is the router lift (Bench Dog) that I installed in my table saw extension. "T" slots in the table and fence make the purchased boards easy. I even added "T" slots to my Unifence on the cabinet saw! I've got a couple of the boards that fit into the 3/4" miter slots.

I'll never make another wood feather board!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Nice work Pete...but I do see signs of illness.

Greg,
You may be correct!! I found myself ebaying old Delta planers this morning!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6789>
  Share Topic