NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disaster Strikes

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disaster Strikes
    Posted: April-27-2008 at 10:07pm
Kudos to the state of FL and Duval county for their never ending pursuit of excellence

We were out on the Inner Coastal Waterway/St. Johns River cruising along at about 25-30 MPH when we struck an unmarked underground rock pile. Maybe 4-6 inches under water.

Of course my first though was "Holy $hit, we are going to sink!" Engine still running, I tried to put into gear to see if it would do anything. Of course, strut, shaft, prop, rudder toast.

I was very surprised to find that we were not taking on any water! I think being on a plane saved the boat, but it may be totaled anyway. I tell you what, I am sold on Correct Craft and their craftsmanship.

Not fifteen minutes later, a 2007 Four Winns came across the same area (as we are trying to warn them) and they sunk in 5 minutes. By this time we had drifted to the shore. The other family was, obviously, freaked out. To make matters worse, when the sheriff arrived, we found out there was a paraplegic on that boat.

As for us, like I said we drifted to shore. While we are talking to the sheriff and the passers by on the road, the boat became beached and is totally stuck on shore in the middle of no where. Now I have to wait for high tide tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 to try to get off the beach and out into open water for Sea Tow to come get us. If I am unable to do that, they will charge us $150/ft of line if they have to swim it in to us (about 100 yards) and then they charge $250/hour of towing (not far about 45 min). Yeah, do the math that is about $45,000. ( I can not believe this to be true, but that is what they told me on the phone) Insurance should cover it because it is a salvage situation, but we will see when I talk to the adjuster tomorrow. My only hope is that I can get this thing off the beach and out to open water an maybe then a jet skier or another boat could tow me in.

I am open to ideas. Anyone been beached before?

Eric/Doc-
Based on your experience, does this type of damage usually total out a boat? I love my boat, but at this point, I think I would rather total it.

Any advise on any of these issues would help.

A very sad,

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2008 at 10:38pm
Wow...scary situation. I assume nobody was hurt? Glad to hear the CC made it through enough to float you guys to safety. IIRC, something similar to that happened to Nautique2001 at the first New England reunion.

As for towing it off the beach...can you hook it to another boat? If it's totaled already, what's the difference? Also, I've heard of people putting tubes underneath, then inflating them and floating the boat out.

Again, it sounds like this could have been a lot worse than what it was. My sympathy for your boat, but happiness for you and your family.

Rob

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 12:14am
You said you were talking to people on the road . How close to the road is the boat ? If it is close enough , try a crane to pick it up by the lifting eyes and set it right on your traler . Cranes in our area are less than 200.00 an hour .

Have it loaded with no hassel in no time cheaper .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 12:42am
79-
Thanks, yeah just my wife and I on the boat and we are both fine. She did hit the dash/windshield from the observers seat, but thank god she was not in the bow.

Allen-
Good thought on the crane. I will have to check on that. We are about 100-200 ft from the road (sand dune/grassy area between). I will double check that tomorrow when I go back out there.

I am going to go equipped with some 2x4s for prying it off the beach at high tide. My worry is that as the tide comes in, it just pushes it further up on the beach. I guess we will see.
Boats:
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:37am
Sorry to hear this bad news Adam. Happy to hear that all are ok.

You may want to get to the boat while still at low tide and put an anchor out to keep it from moving in. If you are bow in, you can run a line out the stern with a small anchor or block to hold it in place.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 9:53am
sorry to hear, if the tow and repairs hit 80% of value they will total boat out usually, if you want it to total as you said let the salvage company handle it, if not dont let them near the boat
"the things you own will start to own you"
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:04am
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Kudos to the state of FL and Duval county for their never ending pursuit of excellence

We were out on the Inner Coastal Waterway/St. Johns River cruising along at about 25-30 MPH when we struck an unmarked underground rock pile. Maybe 4-6 inches under water.

Sorry to hear about your bad news Adam.
Luckily the shallow places on our lake are all marked by buoys. The instances responsible for the lake do good work here.

(to improve my English... what does "kudos" mean? I can imagine what you want to say with it, but like to know the real meaning, thanks)

Kristof
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:16am
its a suttle way of letting people know that you did a good job.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:30am
Kudos is usually a way to congratulate someone on a good job. Obviously, I was being a little sarcastic.

Boats:
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:32am
I did a similar thing 2 years ago. They were letting water out of our dam to irrigators downstream. I was at least 100m from shore line and hit submerged rocky outcrop about 6" below water. The only damage in the end was 4 blade prop & a bent rudder shaft plus a few scratches on bottom of hull. When we hit my first thoughts were that every thing below the hull would have been destroyed and that it would have cracked the hull out at the strut.

It was a scare for everyone on board actually one of the girls suffered from shock but no injuries. It required us to actually lift the boat manually about 20m to get it off the outcrop. It moved about a foot at a time first the bow then the stern. Extremely tiring 2 hours later got towed back to shore and put it on the trailer.
Could not believe the minimal amount of damage because when we hit the noise and impact were huge.We were also travelling about 25mph up on plane.
I think the large center fins help plough the ground before the strut and shaft got there.
Hope you have as much luck with the damage as I did. My first thoughts when we got it off the outcrop and floating was that it may take on that much water that it would sink
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:47am

Kudos is usually a way to congratulate someone on a good job. Obviously, I was being a little sarcastic.

Aha, I did get that feeling about your post... Well good to know you didn't loose your sarcasm over it
Thanks for the info. And good luck on the salvaging of your boat! Keep us informed...

Kristof
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:53am
Lewy2001,

I like your signature as well as your boat (another red and cream '89 like SNObsessed and I...)

Greetings to you down under from Belgium,
Kristof

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 11:02am
Adam, sorry about your turn of luck...best wishes sent! I know in the 10,000 islands area, that sandbars move on a whim...even daily sometimes?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 11:55am
we all do it no matter how careful you are, we were doing what the boat could do last summer 56, and within about 50 ft we came to a dead stop, i went up on a sand bar, it took a good hour to get off of it and luckily no one got hurt which was the important thing, boats are replaceble.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

Wow...scary situation. I assume nobody was hurt? Glad to hear the CC made it through enough to float you guys to safety. IIRC, something similar to that happened to Nautique2001 at the first New England reunion.

Adam,

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Rob mentioned my unfortunate accident at the New England Reunion in New Hampshire. I ran up on a rocky shallow section of the lake that was marked by a small black marker, which I never saw until it was too late. My speed was about 28 MPH, but came to an immediate stop upon impact. The sound of the impact is one I'll never forget!!! Besides my injuries, the boat was in much better shape than anyone imagined. The hull had some minor scratches, prop was wiped out, shaft slightly bend, tracking fins twisted and rudder was completely fine. The front tracking fin took the major hit, but I believe it caused the stern to raise up during the impact. The damage was just under $4,000 from what I recall. There were no holes or cracks in the hull. I believe any other boat would have split open and taken on water. These boats are VERY STRONG and seem to repair nicely. Looking at my boat today, you'd never know anything ever happened. The most important thing was there were no major injuries!!!!

Good luck with the repair work. Keep us posted on your progress. You'll be back out there before you know it.

Ken
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:39pm
azeus,

During Duck season we launch boats simlar in weight to CC's on the Mississippi River with a 4WD under some pretty steep and muddy conditions. Winch helps.

If you "grenaded" the Tranny, Prop Shaft, Prop, Strut, Rudder and some labor your close to the 80% value. I'd yank her with the 4WD and use that insurance money to restore.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:50pm
Thanks for the support guys. I am going out now to re asses the situation. I should have some pics to post tonight.
Boats:
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:58pm
azeus- Very sorry to hear of your accident. Glad that you and your wife are okay.

Do you or a friend have a small aluminum boat or other craft that you could use to tow the Nautique back to the ramp? I would think that the tide will come up high enough to allow you to float the boat. Then you just need a tow back to the ramp. Get the boat up on the trailer as far as you can (assume you don't have a winch) then use the 'bump' trick to move it the rest of the way up the trailer to the bow stop.

The reason why the bayliner sank is probably because it's a stern drive (assume i/o) and the main seal around the drive was probably breached on impact. I'd be surprised if that Bayliner sank due to a hole in the bottom.

Again, very sorry for you accident. Hang in there and let us know how you made out today.

-Brad
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:27pm
Well, It was quite a day! I have a few pictures that I will try to put in chronological order as I tell the abbreviated story.

Day started with a few calls to the insurance company. We both agreed that the best way to proceed was to try to get the boat floating and back to the dock. I quickly realized that was not going to happen when I got there and saw this.

After another brief talk with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officer, we decided the best way to handle this was to get something to lift it by th lifting rings and place it on the trailer. Made a few calls, insurance man being one to make sure they would cover, and 2.5 hours later, this showed up.

It is now 2:45 and they are just starting to unload this monster fork lift. They get it down off the truck and start driving to the boat and are promply put in this situation.

Yeah, its down to the axles. You may be wondering how the hell are they going to get that out? Just so happens, Billy (no not joking, it really was Billy (Nothing against any Billy's out there, but I mean, you just knew he was Billy even before he spoke) had planned for that and also brought the full size semi truck tow truck as well. ( Sorry no pic for this one, was raining like hell out and I was high and dry in the car) None the less it cam out with only one broken chain.

I ask Billy "What now? Got any ideas?" It turns out he did. He had already called for a mini-excavator to come out. "It has tracks and it is much lighter, so it won't get stuck." he tells me. I say great! 1.5 hours later it is on the scene. As it turns out, Billy was right! It worked great. (hard to see in this picture, but you get the point)

Working one end and then the other, the mini-excavator was able to free the boat from it sand jail and it was floating again. This is the point where I have to get wet and walk the boat around to the loading area. After we get it over the the loading area, we start attaching chains and tow straps to lift it with the green monster. (That is me in the red shirt)

We get everything set and after a couple minor adjustments, SHE IS AIRBORN!!!

In no time, we have it spun around and ready to put on the trailer.

All in all, the damage was not so bad. Prop mangled, drive shaft and strut surely bent, transmission??, tracking fins bent, rudder bent??, and some minor gel scrapes. And for $1400 she is back at home.

We will see what happens tomorrow when I take her into the shop.
Boats:
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:34pm
Wow, the damage looks pretty minor considering. Most important is nobody got hurt.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:40pm
Agreed. We were very fortunate that there were no injuries. That is what matters.

I forgot to mention above that Johnny Law did end up giving me a "Warning" for "Careless Driving" even though he admitted to me that this area has been a problem for years and it is not marked at all. But, that is OK, I can live with a warning. If someone had been hurt, you can bet your ass the city, county, state, whoever would have had a lawsuit on their hands.

The other guy that sank got a ticket for the same offense. I need to get a hold of that guy to hear his story.

Again, Thank God no one was hurt in either accident.
Boats:
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:53pm
Adam, I've been following along and happy to see it's out. Save the picture showing the fork lift picking the hull up with the straps on the lifting eyes on that sharp angle. Check for spider cracking at the lifting eyes especially the bow eye. I really do not like how Billy handled your boat. Document this (with pictures) in writing and verbally with the adjuster and your insurance company.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:58pm
Pete-
I totally agree. I am having everything looked at while at the shop, right down to the petty stuff, like how dirty it is now because of the salvage operation. Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe the insurance company should be on the hook for making the boat look like it did before the accident, and it was not filthy like it is now, even after I wiped it down.
Boats:
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 6:50am

I forgot to mention above that Johnny Law did end up giving me a "Warning" for "Careless Driving" even though he admitted to me that this area has been a problem for years and it is not marked at all. But, that is OK, I can live with a warning.

That's what pisses me off in the end! It's their error by not marking the shallow spots in the first place! And then you end up with a warning... Careless driving my *ss.
I'm VERY confident that the members here are all responsible and capable boat drivers...

It took several years of debating at city hall with the different skiclubs and other sportclubs on the lake, before they finally started dregging the lake and marking all the shallow areas.
Now the lake and river are well organized. The biggest part is for boating and skiing. But, there is a part for swimming, fishing, kayaking (no speedboats or skiers allowed). The lake next to ours is reserved for sailors and windsurfers.

The cops here on the water are the same, always pointing the finger at you, but when you saw them manoeuvre with their boat (nice rib with a 250HP outboard BTW), you could clearly see who were the amateurs on the water... They even came to our club last year asking for some pointers on how to manoeuvre with that thing LOL
But, I don't want to completely bust their chops, cause they also do good work on getting reckless *ssholes with high powered boats (and no safety gear on board) off the water...

I'll stop rambling on now and finish by saying that I'm glad to hear the damages aren't all that bad and that your family and your boat are safe!

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 9:57am
Adam I cannot believe the authorities gave you a warning. In my case after I ran aground apparently quite a few more boats did so over the next few days. Later that week the Waterways authority placed marker bouys on the submerged rocky outcrop. The insurance company had contacted them and was looking into compensation.
Ever since this happened there is now a sign at the entrance stating the dam is at low levels and aquaplaning of any type is done at your risk.
The best news is that nobody was injured and the damage is reasonable & definately repairable.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:07am
Adam, What's the blue color on the hull scrape? Are you sure it was rocks and not a old boat you ran over!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:18am
seeing its an 89, it should have the PCM-40, there should be enough in the estimate for them to pull and inspect the trans, because they did have a forward drum problem that would hairline crack, it will crack and may not show up until down the road, and by the looks of the prop it may be cracked and also insist on them installing a damper plate because it is also a weak link on a prop hit
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Adam, What's the blue color on the hull scrape? Are you sure it was rocks and not a old boat you ran over!!!

That blue seems to match the gel color of his freeboard(right term?). Check out the bow pic on page 7 of the pumpkin patch; that blue under the grey gel matches the blue stripe on the sides of my boat.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:53am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

That blue seems to match the gel color of his freeboard(right term?). Check out the bow pic on page 7 of the pumpkin patch; that blue under the grey gel matches the blue stripe on the sides of my boat.

Greg, That was my first thought! Thinking the blue was a gel color under the hull's white but the scrape is on the bottom - a long ways from the blue on the freeboard. Don't know? Maybe when they sprayed the blue in the mold the boys in the shop just got sloppy!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:03am
Yeah, that would be pricless, running over another sunk boat. I also think it is the same blue that matches the side of the boat. I was wondering if it was common to spray the whole boat one color first and then cover with the white? I guess if that is the case, it gives me confidence that I will be able to get to some nice fresh blue to get those shadows out that I was talking about in my sanding thread.
Boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic