NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
78SkiTique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner problem
    Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:27am
Thank god for this site! Just bought what I thought was a great boat yesterday after looking for about a year. Problem, when I got it home and checked it out I found I couldn't turn the prop easily by hand in neutral. A closer look noticed the strut looked bent slightly to the left if looking from rear of boat. Also noticed the shaft looks tight up against the left side of the strut. Put a carpenters square up against the strut and definetly is bent. PO says boat ran perfectly with no vibrations.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:49am
Sounds like it's time for a new strut/shaft/prop. Sorry to hear the news. If it makes you feel any better I'm in the process of replacing my shaft and prop right now.

Matt
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:50am
Welcome to the site. I don't know what to tell you about that one, except the obvious. Hopefully, the boat is nice enough and you like it enough to make it worth it, even if you have to eat the cost of fixing it.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:56am
You may not be able to turn it by hand unless you lubricate the bushings a bit. They're designed to be lubed by the water. If you haven't even gotten the boat wet since it's it's been in storage, it could be very tight.

If it's bent, the strut will probably have to come off to get straightened and you'll have to verify the prop shaft straightness as well as the alignment of the shaft to the tranny. If the shaft seems to be tight against one side of the strut, then new bushings may be needed too. Post some pics so we can see what's going on.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:59am
Wow. quick responses. The boat is cosmetically and structurally very, very good. I honestly think the PO who only owned it for a year may not have noticed it. But I don't want to try to run it and risk trans. damage. Why is there a picture of someone elses boat on my post? I have pictures but I have to change them to zip files to post them. Will be talking to computer geek friend about that. Do you think I can handle the strut shaft replacement myself? Can the strut be straightened
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 12:54pm
Loosten fastners the coupling and see if you can turn the prop, if it turns like butter, then engine alignment is suspect also.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 7:08pm
Here are some pictures of the boat, strut and shaft.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 7:18pm
Looks like you need to move the engine over.

I would put new bearings in the strut and re-align the motor with the strut before messing with taking the strut off!!

dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 8:50pm
Thats a beautiful boat. Do what it takes to fix it and you'll be happy with that purchase for years.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 9:07pm
Skip, It's always tough to tell from pictures but to me it looks like moving the engine over won't do it. The shaft looks like it is pretty centered in the hole/log in the bottom of the boat. The best you could get from moving the engine would be maybe a 1/8". I think the problem is the strut. Disconnect the coupling at the trans and the rubber hose at the shaft stuffing box. See what happens and post some more pictures.

Speaking of pictures, edit your last posting by using the "enter" key between the pictures. It will stack them from top to bottom rather than side to side. No big deal but it does make the thread easier to read!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2008 at 9:15pm
It could be the angle of the pic, but it looks like the shaft enters 1 side of the strut and exits the other. It may be bent and twisted a bit. The 5200(caulk) concerns me a bit as well.

Not to worry though, welcome aboard...the repair isn't a big deal and that is a sweet looking boat!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 12:44am
78ST - Check for stress cracks inside & out after you take the strut off. I found some, by accident, using paint thinner - it acted as a dye penetrant & highlighted the hairline cracks.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 1:25am
does anybody ever post any info on here for bad PO's that knew they were selling bad goods.
86 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 7:31am
Originally posted by 78SkiTique 78SkiTique wrote:

Do you think I can handle the strut shaft replacement myself? Can the strut be straightened

If you are mechanically inclinded and have some basic tools, then I feel you would be able to do this yourself. Matt (BrTracker) and Chris (SNobsessed) are going through it and have been asking some questions that we have been able to help out with.

Struts can be straightened to a point. Yours doesn't look that bad so it's worth a try. The best way is with a hydraulic press.

You mentioned that the PO didn't know anything about it! I wonder who glopped up around the strut base with the caulking?? Some one knew something happened!!

Yes, take a look inside the hull for any evidence of damage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 8:36am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

but it looks like the shaft enters 1 side of the strut and exits the other.

Greg, Don't most prop shafts enter one end and exit the other? I know what you mean - just working you over a little!

When is the big day? Amy hsn't backed out yet has she??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

but it looks like the shaft enters 1 side of the strut and exits the other.

Greg, Don't most prop shafts enter one end and exit the other? I know what you mean - just working you over a little!

Yea, you got me. In soccer we'd say it was a clean hit-nothing but ball! LOL

You did switch to 'end' when I said side?!!?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

When is the big day? Amy hsn't backed out yet has she??

If the soles of anyone's shoes get warm, they'll be mine! LOL

We leave on May 6th and the ceremony is on the 9th. This is going to complicate May 9 for me?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 5:29pm
Thanks for all the responses. I am not too happy with the PO who when I called him told me "the boat runs fine just run it". What goes around comes around I hope. I am going to take apart the coupling at the transmission and disconnect the rubber hose at the stuffing box as 8122pbrainard suggested. I'll see what the shaft does/looks like and I will post some more pictures. I hopefully fixed the pictures I put on before so they are easier to see. Thanks to all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 10:34am
Skip, Is this the boat you bought?

78 Tique

If so, it sure sounds like the seller really isn't being truthful! His description: "1978 Correct Craft Ski Tique Completely Restored to Brand New Condition"

You did it with the pictures!! Thanks! Taking another look at them, it really looks like the strut/boat took a hit. I also just noticed that the one edge of the prop shows what looks like a major repair indicating something happened. You'll see a different color of the brass alloy that was welded on to it. That strut is definately bent and then in a effort to line it back up with the shaft port looks like it was twisted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2008 at 11:00am
I gotta agree with Pete. Looks to me from your updated pics that the Strut is indeed twisted. That shot straight forward down the shaft tells me that it is.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 12:24am
Pete: Yes that is the boat. Luckily that isn't the price I paid. Been working so I haven't had a chance to do anything but I plan on working on it on Saturday and hopefully I'll have some more pictures and a better idea of what I'm up againts. I appreciate your help.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 8:01pm
OK I removed the clamps and moved the stuffing box but there isn't much shaft to work with. The allignment is off I can see a gap between the coupling and transmission on one side. It doesn't show up very good in the picture. Inside the boat looks good no cracks. Underneath there are some small cracks on each corner of the strut and rudder. I peeled all the white sealer off. Looks to me like the strut is twisted. I'll post the pics and see what you all think.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2008 at 8:25pm
Skip, The picture of the strut from underneath sure confirms that the strut is twisted. Certainly the reason the shaft doesn't like to turn easy. I think you should pull the stut off, see what's underneath the base and take a shot at straightening it. Can you see any cracks on the inside? You can also check to see how straight the shaft is. Have you found the thread about removing the shaft coupling? The one with long bolts and a spacer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2008 at 11:57pm
Well I sperated the coupling by sliding the shaft back towards the prop. You can see that the allignment is off due to the twisted strut. The shaft turns hard but the transmission hub turns "smooth as butter". I think my plan of action is to remove the strut and try and get it straightened. Put new cutlass bearings in since I'm sure they are shot from the twist in the strut. Should I remove the shaft and have it checked for straightness while I'm at it? I'm nervous about taking the coupling off and getting it back on.

Inside boat where strut is mounted
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 7:50am
Skip, While you are down there, now's the time to pull the shaft and check to see how straight it is. Pulling the coupling is the easy part! Getting it back on is the more challenging part. It usually requires (if fit correctly) heating the coupling in the oven to expand it. The fit between the shaft and the coupling should be a interference fit. We have members with just a basic mechanical skill who have done it. You will know more when you pull it off. Did you find the thread about pulling it? I'll come back with a link just in case! From the picture of the inside of the hull, it looks good. No cracking but do get some solvent down there like Chris suggested and see if anything shows up.

Has that engine been out and worked on or is it just a very low hour boat? The reason I ask is the paint looks pretty good.

Edit: Our search feature has been acting up lately so I couldn't find you a link on the coupling removal so here it is! You will need probably 3 or 4 extra sets (4/set) of longer bolts of varying lengths the same diameter as original. You will also need a round spacer just under 1" diameter. A deep socket works well. The spacer is placed between the prop shaft and the output shaft of the trans. You will then start with the longest set of bolts between the couplings. Loosen the set screws in the coupling and then alternately tighten the bolts. This will pull the shaft coupling forward but because of the spacer (deep socket) the shaft will stay in the same position. When you run out of room with the long bolts, switch them out to a shorter set. Keep it up until the coupling is pulled off the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 9:26am
78ST - From the looks of you stress cracks in the gel coat, I would bet bottom dollar you have hairline cracks inside also. I could see them clearly in my boat after I ground off the paint. I would recomend grinding down the white stuff on the inside & add in a layer or two of cloth & epoxy resin - it will give you peace of mind. You're going to need to fill in the cracks underneath anyway.

Boater's World has a special right now on MAS epoxy kit for $15. That's a good deal - I paid over $30.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 10:34am
Pete: The engine and transmission have supposedly been rebuilt. It does look like it has been. I have the phone number of the original owner and I am going to call him. I think you're right I should take the shaft out and check it while I've got it apart. What is an inteference fit? I will check again for cracks on the inside but don't see any now. Thanks for you help, advice suggestions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:08am
[QUOTE=78SkiTique] Pete: The engine and transmission have supposedly been rebuilt.   What is an inteference fit? [QUOTE]

Hopefully the damage was done after the engine/trans were out of the boat for the rebuild. I'd hate to see some "mechanic" put the engine back in with a twisted strut like that. I have however heard there are guys out there that will do it!!

A interference fit means that the bore in the coupling is slightly smaller (by .0005") than the diameter of the shaft. This is why the coupling needs to be heated to expand it and then while it is hot put back on the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 4:17pm
If you have a deep freezer big enough you could always put the shaft in the freezer. When we do repairs on our dynamatics in the stamping plant, we have to heat the coupling and pack the shaft in dry ice.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 8:35pm
Skip, I don't know if you were able to follow my written description on the coupling removal so I sketched this up. Sorry no CAD or solid modeling in this older head!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

If you have a deep freezer big enough you could always put the shaft in the freezer. When we do repairs on our dynamatics in the stamping plant, we have to heat the coupling and pack the shaft in dry ice.

James, I never knew our line of work was similar! I work for a job shop metal stamper and short run metal fabricator. I do know that our maintenance dept is too lazy to do any rebuilds on the eddy current drives - they just send them out! In their defense however, by the time they need work it's time for a motor rewind anyway. I have been slowly getting rid of the eddy current and retrofitting ABB variable frequency's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic