NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:34am
Pete, I have to say that the coupling removal is way harder than putting it back on!

One thing I did figure out is that you can just use one set of long bolts. Simply add another nut between the head of the bolt and the coupling flange. This nut is what you'll crank down on rather than the head of the bolt. This gives the bolts "variable length" as the distance decreases between the couplings.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 7:52am
Joel, The removal is just cranking a lot on bolts. I mentioned the install being harder because you can run into problems. I know your's went smoothly and you didn't get the coupling half way back on and stuck!

Good idea on the second set of nuts. If however the coupling on the trans is threaded, it may be fine threads and full thread hex head(all the way to the head) may not be easy to find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
78SkiTique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:10pm
Well I got the coupling off but it wasn't easy and took me most of the day. My back and hands are killing me. I hope it goes on easier. I also removed my strut which wasn't as easy as I thought. The bolts came out easy but it was sealed with white sealer 3M5200 I think. I couldn't figure out how to get it off. I carefully applied a little heat with a torch and it came right off. It looks pretty good under the strut no cracks. It is definetily bent pretty bad as you can see from the pictures. The shaft seems OK but I'm having it checked by the same place that is going to straigten the strut. I think I would be better off having it done than trying it myself. I'm concerned that there isn't much room between the transmission and log. Only 8 inches. I actually had to cut the hose off the stuffing box to get the shaft out. You can look at the before and after pictures. I hope I can get it back together. Let me know what you think. This is kinda like telling someone who isn't a pilot how to land a 747 from the control tower.

The strut is more bent than I thought

I thought it was just twisted but it is bent pretty bad too

There isn't much room between the transmission flange and the log only 8 Inches. If you go back to the previous pic you can see what it looked like all together.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 11:27pm
1 ounce of prevention....
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:04am
Well It took a while but I got it back together and put her in the water on Saturday June 21st. The allignment went OK after I removed the rear motor mounts because the up and down adjustment was frozen. When I put them back in the engine crushed my finger(real bad). But other than that the allignment went well, and actually was fairly easy.

Here is a photo of the strut before I had it straightened

Here is a photo after it was straightened

The boat ran great and everything seems OK. Other problems I ran into were the Jabsco raw water pump leaked and I replaced the body and gaskets. I got the parts from Depco Pump Co. I also had to replace a couple of hoses. I learned a lot about my boat and enjoyed working on it. Thanks to everyone who helped with their words of wisdom. Especially Pete Brainard. Hopefully it will run trouble free for a while. My recommendation is be very careful when buying a boat there are some real jerks out there selling their boats. Here's a photo of the boat today Sunday June 23 in the water.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:13am
That really is a very nice looking boat, and beautiful lake setting you have there. BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 7:21am
Skip, I'm always happy to see projects turn out in the end and That's for the compliment. I'm glad I've helped. Happy boating. Great looking Tique.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:53pm
Pete: Thanks again. I've followed a lot of the threads and noticed you are always quick to respond with easy to understand and good advice. You don't make a guy like me feel stupid when he asks questions like "what is an inteference fit".    Skip
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2009 at 11:14pm
wow it sure is nice to read a whole thread without anyone treating someone like an idiot , or being condescending. it was a well written and very informative thread thank you Pete you are a good man to have on here .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic