Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 5:29pm
nice face plant!!!! follow that path and you will get it.... but IF you get your hands on a boom..well thats another story..I tried both ways and the boom really is another world....now I got stucked as my boat is under complete tlc (stringer & engine).
BTW that engine sound really good
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 2:37am
Been a slow season so far on this thread. Any you guys out there footing?! Andy (GlassSeeker)and I have been ripping it up. Took a ride on Sunday at my ski club. Had a few setbacks: broke an alternator belt. Went to town for a new one. Fixed it. 3 runs later my driver (wife) hit a rock and jacked the prop. Only bummer other than the 400 bills I had to lay out is I was skiing out of my mind!

Hot Sunday Footset

Hollywood, you oput there footin'? Kapla? Mark?
Got Foot?
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:13am
Mark Mel has been out i think once, I have been out once, its been rainy the last couple weeks so alot of debree in water so hope for more footing soon.

-Phil
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 12:07pm
Roy, looking good! You're doing all those tricks MUCH faster than some of your earlier videos, it's amazing. Also, I'm very glad you ditched that birthing position 3-point.

I have finally gotten my back step offs and back deeps going this year. No pics though because the only time I get good enough water to do this stuff the weather is crap or it's dark. Also, the dog refuses to run the camera.

Short line flips coming soon...

I've been working on our show ski footing mostly. We've got a 4 man bomb out line, 3 flyers and 3 beach starts for the show this year. Hopelly a 15 man foot line by state. Of course the Koehler girls are still ripping it up out there too! You can expect more barefooting for our 2010 season.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:56pm
LakeBoy..no footing for me!!! no boat as I said ealier before on this post boat is under stringer repair and engine rebuilt with some extra goodies..gt40p heads cam and intake....
And is winter down here.. not as cold as up there but put things down a little bit..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 5:49pm
Wow nice video, looks very clean!
I haven't had another chance to try yet, would love to though.
A (stupid?) question: how do you steer...? I never managed to get away from straight under the cable when I footed there, no matter how much weight I put on one foot, one side, whatever. Enlighten me please!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 6:28pm
Thanks, TRIP. First thing is you need to be real solid on your feet. I had the same problem. I couldn't move. I kept getting pulled onto the wake once I was outside it. Your feet are like skis, so you need to use them like skis. Point them where you want to go. Sit in a chair and turn your feet left and right. Thats what you ned to do on the water. You will notice the knees need to point in the same direction and then your hips will turn too.

Putting pressure on one foot or the other will also help creat some edge to your foot.

Try it. Post some video. Going out footing with GlassSeeker today, then 3 days of footing at my ski club this weekend! Gonna be fun!
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 4:03pm
Another 100 degree day in California, another opportunity to rip a barefoot set on the Sacramento River Delta. In the midlle of the video, I am finally getting on my feet with regularity, skiing backwards. I went to using the "shoe skis" v, barefeet after a friend of mine learned to ski backwards on them in a weekend, and I had struggled for 6 months on my bare feet, with little success.

Another Killer Day

I highly recommend the use of shoe skis on the back deep. I never came across any instructional videos pitching the use of shoe skis for the back deep water start; that's why I stayed away from them.
Got Foot?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 6:14pm
Looking good. Front to backs yet? That's my someday goal. Not even close yet. I can do a side slide but don't know if that's a prerequisite for going front to back - lol

I had the opportunity to go out with Backfoot100 and Jbear in Tampa. Jbear was working on his back deeps and he was wearing a collar too. I asked why he needed the collar and he had a wipeout where he whipped over after catching a heel (I guess you catch a heel bacards) I understood why he wore the collar.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 6:59pm
show us the sideslide!!!! video!

trip: steering starts at the hips which will turn the knees and feet, push more pressure onto the foot closest to the boat(longline)...from skiers point of view: if you are out on the left side of the wake turn hips/knees/feet to the right and put more pressure on the left foot(more pressure in your right hand too but don't pull in on the handle just loosen grip on left hand 3 fingers) after you cross wake turn hips, knees/feet towards left push harder on right foot, loosen grip in right hand(you want the pull to go diagonal through your body)....just to prove this to yourself try a one foot one hand just going straight, it's best to use a right hand and a left foot and visa versa, try left foot left hand...its waaayyyy harder and unstable.(this is a tip I learned from Keith St Onge) I paid cash...you're getting the info free right here.

prerequisite for front to backs...both back one foots SOLID, both back toeholds SOLID, and a back to front barefoot....then work the shoeskis on front to backs, I would recommend Scarpas big shoes first for both the B2F and F2B(breed some confidence!) then move to either Scarpa cutdowns or BFC chotas (like Lakeboy is using) then to the feet.
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 7:10pm
hey Andy. I got some good video of you yesterday but it was not loading up on youtube after 2 trys last night and this morning. I think the music I put to it may be the culprit(copyright stuff, usually). Sore today. Stoked, though. Ready to go right now, it is freaking hot enough. I'll put the girl's videos together tonite and post it by tomorrow. Dave chopped the camera right as you did the faceplant. Gotta train him to catch the tumbles, too.
Got Foot?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 7:11pm
Oh boy do I have a long way to go. Hard to progress much only going once a week. lol
1978 Nautique

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 7:16pm
Mark, at once a week you can make great progress, really. I have not seen your videos lately, but posting them and getting critiques can be better than a day on the water. Dryland practice helps a lot too, looking at barefoot videos as well. The key is to have a plan when you ski and focus on a technique or two right away when you are strong, then relax and have fun.

I do all the hard stuff in the first few runs while I have the gas. Skiing thru the winter really helped me, too.
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 7:43pm
Don't under estimate the value of dryland practice, its easy, its free, the "falls" don't hurt(usually!) but be carefull about slippery surfaces. get in a backwards barefoot stand and shift your weight from one foot to the other, picking up the foot by bending at the knee only, practice balancing there on one foot then the other as still and relaxed as you can, do the back toeholds to get used to where the strap is...on any of this stuff there is always some fine tuning but the dryland practice will make the most of your water time.
This is the life
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 11:44pm
LakeBoy and GlassSeeker, thanks for the advice. Hope to be able to try again soon, I'll definitely post back here.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2009 at 2:38pm
Well, I finally made my first attempt to barefoot a week ago... After lots of face plants, sore legs and arms, I succeeded for the first time to remain standing for a whole run!!

What a rush!! I just love it!!
Here are some pics:

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2009 at 3:18pm
Good Job Kristof
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2009 at 3:22pm
Here's our(Lakeboy's) newest teaching to foot video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykW3e3hY3dE&feature=channel_page
This is the life
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2009 at 6:25pm
Just back from another little run... Guess I'm hooked
Now if I learn how to smile on the fotos, everything will be all right LOL!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 12:12pm
Looks good Kristof! Don't worry about the smile
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 3:15pm
Glad you are hooked, Kristof. Way to go. Here is a suggestion: Go out and buy Lane Bower's 2 hour Barefoot instructional video on thefootersedge.com. If you are serious about learning, this is a great tool. Also, relax the arms on the boom, it will save fatigue.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Got Foot?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 4:35pm
Looking good Kristof. As a novice, the only advice I can give you is look down, go down. In that one pic you're looking at your feet, you may not have bit it that time but I know from experience, look down, go down. ;)
1978 Nautique

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 7:29pm
Hey Mark, when you gonna post some video on your progress, and your session in Florida?
Got Foot?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Looking good Kristof. As a novice, the only advice I can give you is look down, go down. In that one pic you're looking at your feet, you may not have bit it that time but I know from experience, look down, go down. ;)

That happened five seconds later
My buddy in the boat said the exact same thing...

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Here is a suggestion: Go out and buy Lane Bower's 2 hour Barefoot instructional video on thefootersedge.com. If you are serious about learning, this is a great tool.

Think I'm gonna do just that. Looked at a few short video's on YouTube from the guys at The Footers Edge and they were very helpful...

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2009 at 8:42pm
Kristof, that's great. You are going to find there is no single "right" way to learn. You have to try different things and see what works for you. I have been learning to ski backwards the last few months. There are lots of ways to learn. On the back deep water start some say plant your feet at 10-12 MPH, others say 25 MPH. How can both be right? It is right if it works for you.

I take lots of video and post it to get feedback. Also find good footers to ski with. That will help you the most. The last 12 months I have been skiing with some really good footers and they have helped me. 12 months ago the only thing I was able to do was a deep water start with a 5 foot rope on the boom. Now it's long rope, one-foots, toe holds, wake slalom, one-foot stand-ups, and backward skiing.

I made a video that chronicled my first 6 months skiing with these guys, roughly July '08 through Jan '09. Take a look:

What a Difference

We skied through the winter, which a lot of the "drysuit" footage came from. That helped to. Now I am focused on skiing backwards and I will post my progress here as I go.
Got Foot?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 3:37pm
I had no camera in Tampa unfortunately. And my camera hasn't been on my boat yet this year. It's sitting with my band equipment since it's been getting a lot of use there.

I'll try and bring it out Friday.
1978 Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 4:20pm
Excellent video, Roy. I've been out most mornings for the past 2 weeks with my sons that have just started barefooting. They are starting to think about going to short line and that video helps a lot!

They can go about 2 miles on the boom before they have to stop. This morning my youngest son went about 1 minute 1 hand while he fiddled with the straps on his suit. He was holding on lefty and righty and didn't seem to have any trouble doing it. I'm guessing he may be ready.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 5:38pm
I recommend the hydroslide or wakeboard start v. a deepwater. I progressed from the boom to the short rope using a hydroslide. Toughest part about it is stbilizing the hydroslide by scooching your butt as far up as possible. After that, wait for speed and SLOWLY plant your feet, let the boat do all the work, the board will slip away.

After 4-6 successful starts, get them to try a short rope deep water. If not successful after a few tries, go back to the hydroslide. Confidence is important, so do what works until you can progress. I learned to do the hydroslide behind the boat, too, then went to the deep start.

Great gift to your kids, teaching them to foot.

You were referring to the Bower's video, right?
Got Foot?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 6:01pm
"What a Difference 6 Months Make". It shows a short line start.

I'm not a footer. It was TimB, Keith and Brad (Barracuda) and maybe others that have taught them at the last 2 NE reunions. They were motivated to buy their own equipment this year. They're up every morning at 5:30 - 6:00 for the glass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 152>
  Share Topic