Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 6:13pm
Got it. Yeah, thanks on that. Not everybody at 45 year's old (47 in Sept.) decides to take up footing with a passion. I am so hooked on it. I try to get out 1 midweek day, and ski the weekend and my ski club.

How old are your kids?

I recommend BTW the Lane Bower's Instructional video. 40 or 50 bucks. It has everything from beginner to advanced plus speeds for the driver, driving tips, equipment, boom heights. Worth it...
Got Foot?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 6:26pm
18 & 15. I'll tell them about the video. I'd like to try it eventually, but not this year. I've been doing the driving, I'd like to check out the driving tips. My biggest fear so far is floatsum. We don't have much of it, but you never know when you're going to encounter a branch or a piece of 2x4.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 9:10pm
Hey, Mark Mel, you were saying you didn't have anyone to shoot some video? Check this out. I went out to my ski club with my friend Craig and my 2 kids. The place was deserted, nobody to shoot video. I put the camera in the hands of my kids, 7 and 5, and this is what we got. Not perfect, but considering I made them sit and not move around, and this is the first time they EVER had a camera in their hands, I thought it came out good:

Kid Videographers
Got Foot?
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2009 at 10:09pm
I have the Lane Bowers video in the gear for sale section for 25 dollars shipped. It is a new in the package DVD. They sent me two I have it listed for half of new, good deal for me and whoever buys it. I watched it and got on my feet first try no falling just like the video says. I am still perfecting my technique but am doing pretty good for trying it on my own with no other footers to help. Bryan
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 9:16pm
some pics of my last footing with kristof!!!thanks man for killing my anxiety while my boat its under tlc!!!

first attemps on one foot

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 9:54pm
Looks like your ready to transition to the bridal.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 3:11am
OK...so here are some tips on the one foots:
Don't look down! look straight ahead where you are going...look down go down

Next pick the foot up and over the foot you are skiing on..pick it up in front, lifting at your hip mostly, don't pull it back behind like your picture shows.

do them on the boom over and over picking up and putting down each foot...work harder on whichever is more difficult for you...don't just do the "easy" one...thats called your "basic" the other is called the "reverse" (which is your weaker "side") work that weaker side til both are strong and smooth then go to the 5ft rope or wrap the 5ft up a few times to 3 feet or 2 feet....then after you can do them there let it out to 5ft...do them til they are both easy then go longline.

keep up the good work!
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Don't look down! look straight ahead where you are going...look down go down

Noticed that immediately! LOL. Doesn't matter what the trick or skiing, don't look down!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 3:42pm
I was at a physical agility test last saturday and the instructor was telling how to get through the 99 yard obstacle course...he says keep you head up look where you are going not down at the ground...look down go down....

I did very well since that has been pounded into my head for years

it also came in handy for the 500 yard dash when my legs turned to rubber at the last 25 yards, thought I would eat pavement but just kept eyes on the finish line...made it. haven't run that far at speed in who knows how long.

alot of the things learned in barefooting can carry over to other areas of your life
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 5:19am
Took in another bad@ss footset last Monday. Took a spontaneous trip out to the ski club in the evening, with by buddy and the wives, and were rewarded with unreal conditions: almost 100 degrees, no wind, lake to ourselves.

Evening Glass

I am starting to knock down a nice trick sequence of a tumble to a one-foot stand-up. Check it out at 1:25 into the vid. Also, is that sunlight spectacular on the lone line run or what! WOW!
Got Foot?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 10:56am
Roy
Great video. Must be hard footing in such rough water.
I noticed the neck brace. Not a bad idea. I wish I would have had one on two weeks ago when I missed a two ski bomber. My neck still hurts. It's hard getting old (46) and still doing this stuff.   Here's a grainy video of a bomber I did this past Sunday.
Kristoff, this is a very easy start method you should learn.

Jbear calls this a "Grave Jump"
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 1:20pm
Don't stick your tongue out. You will bite it off when you fall

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 3:03pm
Tullfooter,

Thanks for the props. Yeah the water was nice. That's pretty normal late evening at the ski club, which is in the Sierra foothill, northeast of Sacramento.

The neckbrace IS the way to go. I really made it a priority while learing to go backwards. The backward falls whiplash you and you can get real sore without one. The forward falls can be just plain dangerous, so now I use it all the time. Doesn't look the best for style, but also at 46 I want to foot for a long time.

Mine is a Ron Scarpa brace. The one I just got (as a gift from a footer friend) is a barefoot central neckbrace: BFC Neckbrace It is not cheap, but it is a better fit for me, and it has a tab which extands down and tuck in to your suit which makes it real stable. Also the black blends better and you don't look like you just got discharged from the hospital..LOL

I have also heard the grave start called the "bomb out". I think the tumble up start is easier though, plus you don't have to go back and get the slats.
Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 4:45pm
I've also seen it called "002" for "out of two (skis)". I love doing them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 5:19pm
I've never gone backwards, but I've always wanted to. I screwed up my shoulder about eight years ago, doing a barefoot pyramid, so I figured staying frontwards was the safer bet.
I was being facetious when I said the bomber was an easy start method, it's not (I think Wood will agree with me). We do dock flyers, beach sliders, and deep ups in the show, but I'm the one stuck with doing the bomber. I think the team feels that I've lived a long and fruitful life, the younger guys have so much more life to live. We have the video of my crash two weeks ago; it's one of my best. I'll get a copy and post it soon.
I think bombers should be prefaced by the "don't try this at home kids" phrase.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 5:46pm
question: how fast do you go for a barefoot pyramid?
no exageration please. just curious.

whats the slowest they can be done?

I like siepels front to back off a single ski.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 9:11pm
heres a nice little video, hot narrator, and WHAT IS WRONG With peter flecks feet? I would not let that in my boat...no way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtSr7euSzM&feature=related
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 10:32pm
here's a back bomb out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7btdDSqlM&feature=related
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 10:31am
GS
That back bomber is one of the coolest moves I've ever seen. That takes stones to leave two skis bacerds.
We do our two-one pyramid at about 43mph. When I dislocated my shoulder, I made the mistake of stepping without enough speed. Friends of ours down in Warsaw, IN are doing a three-two-one three high BFP. The kid on the top must have a screw loose.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:08pm
what speed do they do that 3-2-1?

some guy is claiming they do a barefoot pyramid at 51mph...I called BS.
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:10pm
If they have a 200 lb topper, sure!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:29pm
This may not be news to you guys but BFC round 2 freestyle is already over, good videos.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 4:01pm
the claim being made on the barefoot pyramid is 51mph on a 3-2 pyramid...I said 51 is overkill, he said "speed is your friend". I think they need to check the speedos against gps...somebody/thing is not telling the truth...43 to maybe 45 should be plenty to do 3-2...no I've never done it. I have barefooted at 64mph though.
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 5:09pm
I just found that thread on BFC forums, I'm not believing it either. Don't really care though as I'm not trying to go out and do a 3-2 anyhow.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 5:49pm
I do one of the barefoot pyramids in our show. I have small feet....size 9. I like 42-43, last week we did it at 40, perfect water though. 2 years ago at nationals our driver "slowed it down for us" due to rough water.... popped my shoulder out on that crash. Now I wear the jump sling for our BF pyramids.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 6:06pm
thanks guys...I suspect that 51 is just a hollow boast. I just don't like to see mis-information being spread as fact. I'll leave it alone though...if it were wakeworld I'd make some comment and get banned for life. again.
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 6:12pm
Ill find out what they run the 3-2-1BFP at in a week.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 6:26pm
I emailed one of the bases on Lake City's 3-2-1 BFP to get the speed. i'll let you know soon.
BTW, they also do an act called a Barefoot Slingshot. It's a very cool act.
Lake City's Barefoot Slingshot
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2009 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Kristoff, this is a very easy start method you should learn.

Suuuure Tull!! I think a neck brace aint gonna cut it no mo if I try that right now...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 2:05pm
There's also no reason to prop one of those boats to even go 50+ mph. I watched a 3-2 bfp fall apart 2 weeks ago and it didn't look like much more than 40 mph either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 152>
  Share Topic