Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 3:49pm
I don't want to PO the guy but geez why lie about speeds? why do you hear people lie about barefoot speeds? is it because they just do not know? or is it because they have small equipment? I hear it alot.

I had a Sanger that ran 53 on the gps, it had the 377 scorpion(377ci,377hp) from Mercury Racing Division.

At the barefoot nationals it pulled a 250lb skier at 51 for his wake slalom on Shortline lake.

It would pull me 52+ and all that was on the water was about 2 inches of heel...I had no steering.

I would love to see a barefoot pyramid at 50+mph...LOL
This is the life
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 1:17am
Ok,

Had some time to record some short line work from this morning. For some reason I am getting a lot of spray between my legs on the short rope. Maybe I need a boom extension.

The wipeouts look pretty good but I know how to fall right now so I'm not ringing my bell. ;)

1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 1:49am
wow! that was CLASSIC

my advise: go back on the boom directly, work on glide and one foots. There is no shame skiing directly on the boom. It is a learning tool...use it. Looks like you have a death grip on the handle, toes are not picked up so they are catching. That little bit of water coming up between your legs at first is nothing to worry about. without plowing heavy on your heels pick up your toes a little bit, just flex them upwards some...relax your arms...if you get back on the boom you can solve all these issues easily. then go back out on the 5ft...post the video...it'll be better guaranteed.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 1:54am
also when you tumble up twist so that your knees are pointed away from the direction you're turning, this will get your leading hip up and you will spin easily to the front with little effort. practice it on the boom(its actually harder there)

PS:the wipeouts look GREAT!....but we can eliminate them (almost)
This is the life
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 1:55am
Yeah I went back to the boom this evening. I don't think it was too productive though since the water wasn't that great. Bouncing a lot on the crap water. I'll post some of those vids tomorrow. ;)
1978 Nautique

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 2:07am
Roy,

I was watching your previous video posted. Nice set by the way, but I did notice your boom was flexing alot. I've never paid that much attention to mine, but is that typical or consistant with most booms?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 3:05am
SN206- good eye...on Saturday I noticed Roys cable is a little loose, the outer one I think...I shoulda said something to him...he'll read this and we'll get it adjusted better to reduce that flexing. Thanks.

They can and do flex alot, especially when you put them up high. The Barefoot International boom seems the stiffest, I have an ECI/Skylon boom and it flexes more for sure.
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Roy,

I was watching your previous video posted. Nice set by the way, but I did notice your boom was flexing alot. I've never paid that much attention to mine, but is that typical or consistant with most booms?

SN206: thanks for the props on the set. The boom "bend" is paralax from the camera. It is am illusion due to the edge of the lens. The boom doesn't flex like that or I would be bouncing all over the place.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Ok,

Had some time to record some short line work from this morning. For some reason I am getting a lot of spray between my legs on the short rope. Maybe I need a boom extension.

The wipeouts look pretty good but I know how to fall right now so I'm not ringing my bell. ;)

DUDE, you are getting hammered. I can see you have been watching my "how-to" ski videos!!!...LOL. Seriously, good work! You have a nice tumble-up and smoth plant. I kept trying to detect why you kept falling, and it appears you are catching a toe. I like your plant with your knees together. That's what I do and I REALLY like it, esp. in rough water behind the boat. Solid. Once you are up, you still seem knock-kneed. Just a theory, but that may be putting your foot in awkward position, like maybe it points your big toe into the water. Worth trying it straighen your legs. Or pull your toes back.
Got Foot?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 4:09pm

I am trying to learn long line (I don't have a boom) I did manage to get up for 30 seconds once. I can slide around the whole lake on my butt but my issue is the transition to standing up.

I have not tried this year yet. I don't want to tear my triceps again like last year. Remember you can't stop your body falling at 40 mph by sticking your arm out. The water will want to force your arm over your head and around your back in an unnatural way. lol

Make sure to video, the crashes are spectacular.

Maybe I'll get some help if I come up to the NE reunion. But by then, I might have it nailed - maybe.

Where do you live?

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 6:17pm
It looks like I'm getting hammered but I am getting quite good at eating it without hurting myself - practice makes perfect. ;)

Behindprop -

live in CT and ski on Lake Zoar.
1978 Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:07pm

It looks like I'm getting hammered but I am getting quite good at eating it without hurting myself - practice makes perfect. ;)

Behindprop -

live in CT and ski on Lake Zoar.

Mark-

Thought you might be closer to Ohio so I was going to invite you over.

Few tips:

1. I don't agree with the "hold your toes up"- I feel that those trying to "hold their toes up" tend to dig their heels in. For what its worth...I can fold my toes under when I am front footing.

2. Practice falling. Let go and do a front flip. DO NOT FALL WITH YOUR ARMS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! You will wreck your shoulders.

3. From your video it almost looks like you are lifting up on the rope. Drive the handle down and towards your belly button.

4. Learn how to fall.

5. Know your water.....Glassy waves can be some of the worst.

6. Learn how to fall.

7. Don't ski when you are tired....

8. Learn how to fall.

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:08pm
I guess what I meant, was to see that many falls in a row, for what seemed like the same reason is really unnecessary to the extent you need to make a simple correction or two. You fundamental basic looks good and you don't have to fall like that in the name of practice or progress. If you keep catching a toe, make an adjustment. Falls don't make me better. They make me aware of a problem, and even if they don't "hurt" they still take it out of me.

I do recommend a neck brace. I was real resistant to the idea. I felt claustraphopic, and I looked like an emergency room discharge wearing it. I wear it all the time, even if I am not trying something new or hard. I have taken a few falls I would not have walked away from, especially behind the boat or backerds.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:16pm
With all respect, behindtheprop, I would rather learn "why" I am falling, than accept that I am falling all the time. I agree you gotta learn how to fall correctly, but Mark is not doing any "scorpions" that I can see. I consider myself new to the sport, and I will go 30 or 40 runs without a fall.

I do agree on the toes up matter, and the fact it can bury the ball of the foot or the heel, and also on the notion of glassy rollers. I go out with some guys that have been footing their whole life, and their toes are up. Not peeled way back, but they are nowhere near the surface of the water. JMO
Got Foot?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

With all respect, behindtheprop, I would rather learn "why" I am falling, than accept that I am falling all the time. I agree you gotta learn how to fall correctly, but Mark is not doing any "scorpions" that I can see. I consider myself new to the sport, and I will go 30 or 40 runs without a fall.

When I watch his video I see a canidate for shoulder dislocation. Its no FUN!!!!

Its hard to teach people to cross their arms in front against their body....its just a reflex to try to stop yourself. By teaching a front roll your body learns how to roll when you fall...with your arms tucked in. Later on in life this roll turns into a tumble turn when you catch one foot.

Kieth....Kieth...site owner.....do you agree????

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:35pm
can we PLEASE see video of anyone skiing with the toes folded under...I gotta see that
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:36pm
[/QUOTE]

When I watch his video I see a canidate for shoulder dislocation. Its no FUN!!!!

Its hard to teach people to cross their arms in front against their body....its just a reflex to try to stop yourself. By teaching a front roll your body learns how to roll when you fall...with your arms tucked in. Later on in life this roll turns into a tumble turn when you catch one foot.

Kieth....Kieth...site owner.....do you agree????

[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. I did not notice what Mark's arms were doing. When I first learned, the falls seemed so sudden, now they are in slow motion.

Here is a good headplant from over the winter when I forst started to learn the toe hold:

Faceplant
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

can we PLEASE see video of anyone skiing with the toes folded under...I gotta see that

Word.
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 7:52pm
just think of a waterski...the front is curved up...your feet are your waterskis...toes up just a little makes a big difference. just don't get heel-heavy(plowing-spray in face)...push the front of your foot down while keeping toes up a bit.(the spray will clear and go out the sides) and you will glide.

I pretty much never catch a toe/foot unless its really rough and choppy.

trying to hang on to falls(spin back up) is a recipe for surgery, just let go...its not worth it.

most barefoot falls happen so fast you really can't do too much to prep, just learn to drop your chin to your chest or tuck your chin this will get you to flip over with the momentum, don't put arms out keep them closer to the body.
there is nothing you can do to "catch" yourself.
once you start to do toe ups there is a new danger to the shoulder if you put your hands out in front and tip over its easy for them to catch and it happens super fast and tweaks your shoulder before you know what happened, it happens again while learning backtoe holds and tipping over, let your arms out from behind your back to in front of your face if you are tipping over.

This is the life
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:03pm
I love this thread. I keep trying to get the knowledgeable footers to a "reunion" on my lake but it never materializes. It would be so helpful to foot with people that know what they're doing. My driver is learning as well.

Looking at the last few posts, I may be digging my heals in, I was getting too much spray. I do need to glide better.
1978 Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:07pm
this one shows why you keep your toes up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSibYvwZrTU&feature=channel_page

and this one shows an arm catch...and it hurt later too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRA6AcW-7wk&feature=channel_page
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

most barefoot falls happen so fast you really can't do too much to prep, just learn to drop your chin to your chest or tuck your chin this will get you to flip over with the momentum, don't put arms out keep them closer to the body.

Andy-

If they happen so fast you can't prep why are you telling people what to do once they start falling??

Learning flip-outs is a great way to train your body what to do as stated above....in a controlled manner. Once you teach your body this "reflex" it becomes natural.

When beginners ask me about lifting their toes I tell them the only important thing is form. If they are thinking about their toes the form goes to crap.....

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:22pm
PS-

Nice videos! You must put a lot of time in footing!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:34pm
I really am not argueing your points I'm just presenting a different opinion. you can tell people how you want them to try and I'll tell them how I think it will work best. I've taught alot of people how to foot without falling alot.

most falls are too fast to do anything to prep for, there is only fractions of a second to make any move, so tucking the chin can be done very quickly. not putting out the arms is easy(just don't do it) fighting against a fall is a good way to get hurt, go with it. some falls are enjoyable.

I agree with you that natural reflexes have to be unlearned and replaced with some real defensive manuevers.

the toes being correctly positioned is an integral part of correct form.
toes curved down will be a stumbling block that will stop your progress.
very quickly. ie:faceplant

try wake crossing without your toes up.

PS: I really would like to see video of you skiing with your toes folded under.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:38pm
there are no skis ever allowed in my boat(except shoe skis)
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:54pm
Guess I need to figure out how to get some videos now.... :)

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 8:58pm
Couple of observations:

Two ways to bend your toes, one is to do just that which can actually push the ball of your foot down. Not desirable. Second is to bend your ankle up as much as you can, this gets your toes up without really bending them but can only be done if your feet are under your knees in good form, if the foot is out front your going to bury the heel.

Still comes back to teaching good form, to just tell someone to point the toes up is only half the information they need. Don't forget to get beginners on dry land or in the boat in the correct position before and after each training run. Newbies have a tendancy to say yup I got it and then get out there lean back and fight the boat it so you have to correct that every time.

Last comment is that if you have someone footing in the correct body position they are already setup to minimize the hard crashes when they happen. The real killer face plants are when you're just standing straight up with no spring in your body. If you've got knees over feet then you're already half way to a tuck when you do crash.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 9:48pm
there is a third way: just pick up the toes without pushing down the ball of your foot or angling too much heel into the water, you need to press the forefoot down and keep the toes up so you do not plow.

poobahs points are all good.

some of us can get very technical on body position but for the average person just the basics will go a long way.

It hard to ski very much when you have bad body position, its much easier and nearly effortless when your body position is correct, but its not exactly the same for every individual....thats how barefoot schools survive...individual instruction.
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 12:39am
We can all agree going back to the boom for a "revisit" is important. Has far as the toes thing goes I have found when going back to the boom or showing someone posture while on the boom I find myself relaxing my intire body more and more. This includes my feet and toes. When I relaxed my toes it seemed my weight was more evenly distributed over the balls of my feet and made for some of my smoothest rides and felt so comfortable. If anyone can get thier hands on a copy of "Soul" with Ron Scarpa and company, they have several shots of thier feet and you'll see what I mean. Just M.O.P.

-Ryan
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 5:27am
I am revisiting the boom all the time...the boom is my friend.

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfgpXNbt2U&feature=channel

how do you make those clean little links?
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 152>
  Share Topic