Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

there is a third way: just pick up the toes without pushing down the ball of your foot or angling too much heel into the water, you need to press the forefoot down and keep the toes up so you do not plow.

poobahs points are all good.

some of us can get very technical on body position but for the average person just the basics will go a long way.

It hard to ski very much when you have bad body position, its much easier and nearly effortless when your body position is correct, but its not exactly the same for every individual....thats how barefoot schools survive...individual instruction.

I wasn't picking on your toes comment, just making a few of my own. Your advice is always spot on, we all have different methods and ways of explaining them but we're usually talking about the same goal. It was all good with me until the "teach them to do a front flip out" comment by BHP, that seemed a "little" out of context when talking about teaching newbies to foot and it got me going.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 12:10pm
OK, so I'm going out again tomorrow. I was going to work on the front flip but now that's out. ;) Although I will try to remember to tuck my chin.

From the previous comments I am going to work on;

not plowing with my heels

the deathgrip on the handle - although I don't feel like I have the deathgrip

Anything else that I should work on that is evident from my video?

Learning to foot by correspondence course - nothing better.   ;)
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

there is a third way: just pick up the toes without pushing down the ball of your foot or angling too much heel into the water, you need to press the forefoot down and keep the toes up so you do not plow.

poobahs points are all good.

some of us can get very technical on body position but for the average person just the basics will go a long way.

It hard to ski very much when you have bad body position, its much easier and nearly effortless when your body position is correct, but its not exactly the same for every individual....thats how barefoot schools survive...individual instruction.

It was all good with me until the "teach them to do a front flip out" comment by BHP, that seemed a "little" out of context when talking about teaching newbies to foot and it got me going.

Guess you guys are raising your new footers to do the scorpion.

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:14pm
Mark

Looks good for my day off, what time you want me to bring the boat up?

Just make sure you bring all your footing gear and ski's. I will bring my wake board, ski, and my suit.

-Phil
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:19pm
Phil,

We'll be on the water around 12:30.
1978 Nautique

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:28pm
Mark
I will be bringing the boat alone, so you dont have to bring out yours.
How long you wanna stay out till?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:31pm
'Nuff arguing about the toes, my footin' bruthas'. Let's get down with some footing. Here is a video post from a 3 day foot fest at my ski club over the weekend. Note the use of the shoe skis for working on my reverse toe-hold and skiing backerds:

Footin'

I had really struggled with plowing on the reverse toe hold on my barefeet. At least with the shoe skis I am getting my foot in the strap and and can ride it out, getting a feel for the pull and the balance.

Here is GlassSeeker working on a new technique. Notice how he went back to directly on the boom to learn the technique:

Switchblade

Got Foot?
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 1:34pm
One day getting bored I tried the toes down trick without falling. I was able to fully flex my toes down and ride it that way. In less than ideal conditions or while tricking this is definitely not the way to ski but it was a fun experiment.
I hope this thread continues as I have been learning so much from it.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 2:42pm
What video software are you guys using to put your videos together? I just bought a new HD video camara and would like to put something together to show my friends.

-Ryan
...those who have fallen and those who will.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

What video software are you guys using to put your videos together? I just bought a new HD video camara and would like to put something together to show my friends.

-Ryan

Hey Ryan,

The program I use is Pinnacle Studio 12. It is cheap, and easy to use and you can see the results are pretty good.
Got Foot?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 9:02pm
Phil, I've got Joe and two other friends coming so having two boats will be fine. Probably stay out 'til 4:30 - 5:00
1978 Nautique

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

-Ryan

Hey Ryan,

The program I use is Pinnacle Studio 12. It is cheap, and easy to use and you can see the results are pretty good.

Hey Roy,
Any suggestions on mounting the camara?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 10:54pm
None, whatsoever. I put someone in the boat, otherwise we don't get any. I have looked into using a surveillance camera mount strapped to the fly high, but figured it would be tough to keep adjusted shooting the boom.

There are some camera mounts that track the long line that wakeboarders use quite a bit. They cost about 250 to 300 bucks. More than my camera cost. Some guy on wakeworld.com I think said he make a tracking mount for 50 bucks

Here is a pic of not the exact mount, but you get the idea. The one I looked closely at you could strap it with a geared strap band.

Bands:

Got Foot?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 11:57pm
I built my pylon mount, it takes all of our skiing and footing videos. I even sent plans to several people.

1978 Nautique

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 12:31am
That looks like it would work. Does it get sprayed when someone is on the boom. I thought if I could get it up on the tower I could keep it dry and angle it downward for recording boom work. That way we could go back to the house and review it for instructional perposes.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 12:44am
Does not get sprayed at all, unless I'm on the boom with no rope and I do a side slide with my feet - which kicks up a lot of spray. Works really well for ski videos too, no vibration at all.

I think for footing, the perfect angle would be a mount on the top of the port side window frame. Hmmm, I need to fab something up. But I guess the camera would be really vulnerable to a wake over the bow up there. My wife would kill me. Unless - I buy an underwater housing. ;)
1978 Nautique

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 1:09am
Port side tower mount would be perfect for me.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 5:33pm
Here's some boom video - just fooling around. The water wasn't that great. One of these shows my foot position. I think I'm squatting too much but I think I do that when the water gets crappy or over wakes.

1978 Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 5:47pm
Mark, you're boom is set much higher than ours. Is that the way it should be? We've had ours set so that the boys arms are out straight, not up. Thomas held on and went through a 2' boat wake yesterday morning. He went through it ok, but didn't like the splashing too well.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 5:53pm
That was off of Phil's (Ifskizzer) boat. That height would've been perfect for a handle, and on my boat my arms are straighter out rather than up. But it works and I'm not sure which is proper.
1978 Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 5:56pm
Looks like Phil has his boom up pretty high. A slight upwards pull is nice when youre hanging onto the boom, but the more extreme angles are more helpful when youre on the 5' line.

Mark, that was some crap water! It looks like youre getting your feet nice and flat, which is good. Definitely get your hips up though. Roll your shoulders back (stick out your chest) too.

For reference:

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 6:07pm
Yeah on the boom height it would have been good for 5ft handle we weren't sure what we were going to do either so I left it at that height. That was also my first time putting the extension piece on the boom.

-Phil
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 6:08pm
Phil, I'm working on getting some of your vid.
1978 Nautique

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 6:40pm
Here's some of Phil.

1978 Nautique

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 6:45pm
LOL, I need laser surgery so i can see. Damn Contacts, I am blind without them.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 6:55pm
the boom is not too high. it will help reduce how many faceplants you do while learning. Mark-your hips are more forward than in your other videos-thats an improvement. just make sure you are putting most of your weight on your feet...don't "hang" from the high boom...let your arms relax more and stand on your feet(as much weight on them as possible) also feet a little wider.
ifskizzer-push your feet out in front of you more, get some goggles- you can keep your contacts on.

the low boom or gunnel high boom is OLD SCHOOL...watch Andre DeVillers videos on barefoot central...the tip of the boom is 7 feet in the air. there is no shame in a high boom...its alot more fun...you can lower the boom later as you get better and better...no hurry
This is the life
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 7:11pm

ifskizzer-push your feet out in front of you more

I don't agree with that comment after watching your video.

I don't understand how a guy that is as good of skier like glasseeker can give you advice that will make you plow through the water instead of gliding over it.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 7:18pm
I'm trying to help him not catch his toes...

keeping the hips forward will push the feet out further in front.

why do you think hes catching his toes?

what would you suggest?
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 7:22pm
Well Andy, everybody catches their toes, there is not much you can do about it. You gotta learn to fall in case you catch them.
Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 7:25pm
I thought lfskizzer's form looked pretty good actually.

You can put your feet down right next to the boat and still "walk" the rest of the way out on the boom, no reason to hoof it all the way out there on your belly like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 152>
  Share Topic