Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 11:15pm
The "side slide" is tricky, but doable. Watch this video of a clinic I was in with andre. Even though the music is playing, there is one part where he shows how to place the foot on the water while riding the boom. Look what he does 2:50 into the video.

Footin' with Andre

The boom needs to be real high. I jacked my knee in that clinic when my foot caught the water with my foot sideways. I think it is a trick you can learn any time you are ready. GlassSeeker taught it to himself cuz nobody out here knew how to do it. 360 deg. turns is a whole different deal. You will need to learn to ski backwards first! Watch this:

Learning Backwards
Got Foot?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 11:19pm
Hey Kapla,
That's called a sideslide. It is a bit advanced. The other turns you see me doing are just 180's (back to front) I learned front to back 180's too but have not been doing them so I'm gonna hafta relearn them probably, then if I put them together I might be doing a 360 (full turn front to front or full turn back to back).

The key to learning these is shoe skis at 26 or 27 mph til you have them greased and smooth and never miss.

The key to the sideslide is a super high boom. Get the tip of the boom 6 feet off the water and hang from the boom then "pop" your feet sideways, most of your weight is on the one with the arch exposed to your direction of travel. the other just skims the water with 10 or 20% of your weight. the one with 80% needs to be turned so much that the heel is actually forward and up a little(more than 90 degrees sideways) you first just hang directly on the boom then add a handle but wrap it up so its just a foot or two long and master it then let it out to 3 and master it and so on til you are 5ft out then slowly lower the boom...and so on.

I think If I were you I'd work on making my basic stuff super smooth first and try backwards it will make these other things possible for your mind to believe you can do it.

Dang Lakeboy you beat me to it!
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 11:46pm
of course I would not try this tricks now..just thinking ahead..LOL
I really got hit by the BF bug really hard...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 12:44pm
3 days of barefoot fever at our ski club for Memorial Day Weekend. The conditions were killer, although the water and air were cooler than normal. Here was the action:

Lakeboy

GlassSeeker

Andy ripped it like usual. I added a new move to my quiver: back toe holds! OK, it was on a shoe ski, but a great start...
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 5:22pm
I wrote the final chapter on this video over the weekend by being able to ride the back one foot on both sides. if you watch this video, many unseen back headpackers were taken trying to learn this technique, with more to come I am sure. the shoe skis help a lot, but only get you so far. I always went back to the shoes when I made little progress.

Learning Back One-Foots

Still need lots of work, mainly keeping the ankle flexed when I lift it, and knee bend on my reverse.
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 7:30pm
Ouch!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 12:27am
and of those two things the most important one is keeping the lifted foot in ski position and not pointing the toe since then you gas pedal the ski foot and lose balance and glide. dryland practice picking up and setting down in the right position...alot to break that natural response/habit.

PS our friend Joe J rebuilt his Sanger DXII engine, stroked it and tricked it out and GPS speed was 59MPH and change! ...I gotta buy a stroker for mine!
This is the life
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:02am
Do you have a picture of the shoes you were wearing in the video? They don't look like the shoe skis I have seen. More like neoprene bootys?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:42pm
These are from Keith St. Onge's World Barefoot Training Center. I couldn't rip a picture, but here is the link to view them:

KSO Shoe Skis

I had some of the hard Barefoot International shoe skis, but did not like them too much. Shin bangers. I like these. They are comfortable, and a bit forgiving, like a foot. Not too big, not too small.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

and of those two things the most important one is keeping the lifted foot in ski position and not pointing the toe since then you gas pedal the ski foot and lose balance and glide. dryland practice picking up and setting down in the right position...alot to break that natural response/habit.

PS our friend Joe J rebuilt his Sanger DXII engine, stroked it and tricked it out and GPS speed was 59MPH and change! ...I gotta buy a stroker for mine!

Is he on the water yet Andy?
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 4:33pm
Yes he's on the water. 59mph and still fine tuning, may try another prop, and change some other things but I'd say 59 is plenty.
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 4:37pm
45 MPH will get the job done for me. 59 MPH would serve to get me into Lost Slough faster!
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 7:49pm
OK, I went out and ripped a set yesterday morning. Worked on (2) things: Tumble turns (an art form according to Willie Farrell) and Long Line back deeps. Willie kept hollering at me to cross the wake, backwards. I asked, "how do you do that." Willie said, "just figure it out. Do it like your life depends on it." So I did just that. In this video you will see me making my first backward wake crossings. Kind of fun, but a little hairy! LOL...

Footing with Back Wakes
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 12:49pm
We were pummeled by unusual wind here in the central valley of California the last few days. 30-40 MPH. The good news is the heat finally came with it. It was in the mid 90's, perfect for footing, if it wasn't blowing so hard!

I was tracking the wind on Weatherbug.com an saw the wind was going to drop, finally, Sunday morning. I met GlassSeeker out at my ski club an we laid down an epic 7-10 am set so awesome, all the wakeboarders could do is stare slack jawed and shake off their hangovers from Sat. night!

LakeBoy Rips it

GlassSeeker Rips it Too
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 2:07pm
Back ones are loooking good! You'll be posing for the camara and throwing up the "Muscle Man" soon.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 12:12am
I'm ordering a custom eagle suit. waddya think?
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 1:35pm
Dude, the suit looks vicious.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 1:36pm
Ripped a set this week:

Evening Footset
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 5:05pm
nice video!!!
water is awesome...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 5:18pm
use that drysuit yet?
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 9:25pm
little over one minute..actually I was out last saturday with a buddy...evening...went for test drive of the boat after strut alligment..
litle windy..went to a no ski zone that was nice...put all the gear..but it was full of coast guards patrols around, it seems the retunr to the base throughg that place...I waited for them to go..hit the water...and ban there was another there....stopped me..hey no ski zone here!!! and you should have a spotter there also!!!I was lucky they were going home...they ask me for the papers and let me go..I could have gotten a ticket...
only got to use it 2 minutes..though it felt good..no cold at all.
This weekend I won't be able as I'm been in bed this last 2 days after I cought a cold...
maybe with some luck I will be ready to rip it next weekend....
I'm doing lots of tricks in my dryland practice though
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2010 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

I'm doing lots of tricks in my dryland practice though

Kap... I hope your back isn't getting all scraped up practicing the tumble turns
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 1:40pm
Well Sebastian, I will give you a little inspiration on those cold nights in the Argentine. It finally got hot here in Sacramento, California (Usually hot mid-May). I took in 3 days of barefooting. 2 at my club, and 1 at the Port of Sacramento which has a 20 mile deepwater channel that was a sheet of glass:

Sheridan Footin'

This glass will blow your mind, 20 miles of it:

Port Footin'

I worked on a surface hop as a new technique, had some nice front wakes, and still struggling with crossing the wake backwards.   heading out toight for a set at a private ski lake. Hope to get some footage there.
Got Foot?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 3:50pm
Man this thread is already 23 pages long, and every movie is as exiting as the next one!!! I think this is a thread that never gets boring .
Keep the videos coming guys, they are great and I learn much from them... One faceplant at a time !!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 3:57pm
Kristof..I´d like to see your footing progress...any late video?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 8:45am
Sorry Seb, no video's as of yet. But I'm looking to buy a new camera so we can document our footing (for fun and pleasure of the members here ).
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 1:39pm
Ok, so I have been following this thread since near the begining. Always wanted to barefoot, tried the step off thing when I was a kid, could never get it. Then over the winter my oldest daughter (12) said, "Dad I really want to learn to barefoot this summer." Not sure where that came from but always want to encourage that type of behavior.

So at the point I decided if we are going to do this, we need to do it to minimize any suffering so she sticks with it. I figured best way to do that is to get some help. So I started looking for a ski school, ideally I would find an instructor that could relate to a 12 year old girl. Low and behold I found Elaine Heller (cowzrus.net), who instructs in WI just a few hours from my in-laws. Doing a little research, I found out she is the 2009 World Womens Champion. How cool. Anyway she is a sophomore in college and wow did her and my daughter connect. We spent a day at their lake and both of us were footing on the short line after three 30 minute sessions. Here is a quick video compilation from last week. First shot is my daughters first pass on the short rope(she forgets to go to the 3 point and blows out the front) Second shot is at the end of the 2nd 30 minute session.

Footin Syd

I have a about the same form (although my three point isn't as compact). Love to hear your feed back, we'll post more videos as we get out there. Now forever in search of that perfect water...
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 2:02pm
Cowzrus and the Hellers, have some of the craziest youtube videos I've ever seen. I like when they barefoot behind a pickup, and a snowmobile.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 2:07pm
30 minutes to short line, good for you guys. That's the way to have a vision, set a goal and do something about it. Your daughter had to be stoked with that kind of progress. Guess there is something to what they say about good instruction and good equipment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 5:53pm
Cows r us does have some real cool vids. I like the one where they are barefootin behind the Suburban in the flooded field and run out of water and have to start running to avoid a nasty mud faceplant.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 152>
  Share Topic