Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 6:19pm
Hey steve so you got caugth by the footing bug right? welcome aboard!!
now you need a boom and suit and your are set to rip the waters...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 6:58pm
Steve & Andy, yeah the cowzrus videos are awesome - want to try that snowmobile thing...

Larry, not only quick but all about safety and pain free too. Bonus for both of us

Kapla, I am all in, have the boom and the suit (for both of me and my daughter) I have been watching and picking stuff up on craigslist since my daughter asked over the winter. Now my seven year old wants to try so between me and my 12 year old, I think we can get her going too.

So more videos to follow and I hope you can all provide feedback. Looking forward to laying some sets down with some of you guys hopefully at Green Lake!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 7:03pm
The EZ footer seems to make the things easier on the little ones...

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2010 at 7:25pm
Ha even us bigger ones, that's how we started. Although, I think the short line is easier then the EZ Footer, my arms were shot after the first session in the swing... Anyway thats the plan for the 7 year old. Its amazing how slow you can go, my 12 year old was footing at about 24 mph, I'll be lucky if I get the boat off plane for the 7 yr old
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 12:32am
Steve,

That is awesome, not only you but your daughter as well, great work!

Tell me about the site, is that Cary Talzmans (sp?) old place, Cranberry Farm in Adams Wisco?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 1:26pm
Quinner; I don't think so, its up in Alma Center, WI. Literally in their cornfield. The story goes they were down at National's in KS, Blake (Heller) and his wife walked off the lake length, came home and dug up one of their cornfields. When you arrive, you drive through a hayfield cross over RR tracks and there is the lake (200 ft by 2500 feet or so) and all around it is corn You can see it on google maps, find Hixton, WI follow State Route 95 to the NE and its about 3 miles out of town south of the road - looks like a runway (Coordinates 44.414961,-90.952377). The water level is about 4 to 6 feet below ground level (about 6 feet deep - guess) then the whole lake is surrounded by banks about 4 to 6 feet above normal ground level. This keeps it pretty well protected from the wind which means almost always perfect water. Great facility!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 12:57am
Thanks Steve, looks just like Talzman's site and also sounds the same, always smooth water! Threadjack wise, great to see you signed up for GL again this year, how about your Dad and the 64'? And where is Pauly Banana and his crew?

Looking forward to seeing you again in a few weeks!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:43am
The lake is called "The Blue Moo"
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 6:52pm
Roy Andy
how about me going there in the near future? will you get me out to foot?
I´m seeing a chance of visiting my uncle, he lives in Burligame, near SF..and I see its about 60-70 miles from there to sacramento....totally worth the drive if i´m welcome....
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 7:42pm
Burlingame is real close to Sacramento where we are (2 hr drive). If you come out here we can hook up. Always welcome. Lots of barefoot options here: public water, private water, you name it.
Got Foot?
chrispenner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrispenner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2010 at 12:01am
Hey, I know this is an old post, I didn't read it all the way through and I only have five minutes.

SPEED talk. I am 235 and have to problem footing at 38 mph, I can do one foots comfortably at 39-39.5 mph. So don't feel you need to max the boat speed to be able to foot. A few guys mentioned the divide by 10 add 20. Good rule of thumb but still might be a little fast. It has more to do with proper technic then anything, if you can get enough foot in the water with out catching a toe and have a proper glide technic you should be able to ski fine with the boat going 40 mph or less. Check out Lane "Dawg" Bowers on youtube if you haven't already.

Like I said I am 235 and 38 mph is great. I don't feel like I am sinking and it isn't fast enough to do major damage when falling. So have faith if you haven't had any luck yet.

Cheers!
CP

Oh and for more enjoyment. Buy a boom again, it really is the quickest safest way to learn this with least amount of injury potential.

Hope this helps
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 9:14pm
Just got through playing a round of golf with Andre DeVillers, Nolan Lough, and Chuck Gleason of Barefoot Central. Hooking up to the boat now to head out to the river to do some footin'!!!!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 6:20am
Water had too much debris from recent storm to safely foot. Headed to Possum Kingdom Lake in the morning to teach barefooting at the Camp Grady Spruice YMCA.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 12:21pm
COOL
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2010 at 12:24pm
Lakeboy skied with David Small yesterday, I think it was the first time he's watched jump and he got to see the master of the ramp fly.
This is the life
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 12:51pm
My kids (8&10) just learned yesterday and agin thismorning with the swing on a boom and a good barefoot suit. They totally enjoyed it. My order for these items is going tommorrow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 1:21pm
This is the life
skierbrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2010 at 5:14pm
My daughter finally wanted to learn to barefoot (at age 15)! She thought it was an absolute blast doing it this way! I'm glad she likes it! We will see when we have to go without the handle!!!

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:17pm
Ok, guys finally got out to do some footing with a camera. Hoping you guys can give me a critique. Appreciate any pointers and suggestions for next things to work on. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4YXaM0a_do

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 5:34pm
Right on, glad you got some footage up. I started feeling like I was the only guy out footing with a video camera! Ok, so nice job barefooting. Looks like you are having fun, so that is the most important part. Your skiing looks real safe and controlled also, so nice job on that.

I also like the way you plant your feet with your knees touching and feet spread out. Very solid. Once you plant, though, your shoulders are staying back, forcing you to drive your feet forward, and pull with your arms to get up. Once your feet plant, push the handle forward, shoulders go forward, and push down with your feet, not forwards. This will keep your heels from skipping across the water like they are doing.

When skiing, start moving away from the knock-knee'd stance, and get your legs/feet more parallel. Knock kneed is solid, defensive, and keeps the spray away, but it will become a hinderance later.

Also, Neighbor Ron takes a classic head-packer at the end. Classic. WTF is wearing on his feet? His socks?

Well done! Post some more!

BTW, check the beginning of this video, and look at my body postion at the foot plant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8VjA0dxOt0
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 2:02am
[QUOTE=skutsch] Ok, guys finally got out to do some footing with a camera. Hoping you guys can give me a critique. Appreciate any pointers and suggestions for next things to work on. Thanks!
QUOTE]

Arms straight, set up before taking your feet off the rope, and check your cable turnbuckles for even tension.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 4:08am
Thanks Roy, the whole push the handle forward seems so counter intuitive, but that clip of you in the beginning really demonstrates how it should look. Its just like when you lean forward to get up off a chair - amazing how pointing that out, then seeing the video makes it all so obvious. Will also work on getting the legs more parallel, I think the second video might have been a bit better.

Yeah, Neighbor Ron (and his Uncle) wear socks. Says it stops the burn, the old guy in the video calls them foot condems, he says their cheating I agree. I think its more about proper position, the first run my right foot was killing me - thats why I dropped, they said it was cause it was complete glass - I felt the water hitting deep in my arch, not up by the balls of my feet. Last two videos no problem, water was hitting more forward on the foot.

Ryan, oh man my aching abs - its so hard to hold my legs up on the rope... but will give it a try. So much stuff going on out there and thats one of the first things I noticed too, KEEP THOSE ARMS STRAIGHT - I am always yelling that back to the kids! Ha! Any tips for getting that even tension? They seem even in the water and when adjusting, I thought they were pretty close. What do I look for when its properly adjusted?

Ok, thanks for the tips. Looking forward to the next session. If I have a camera, I'll post the results. Have to get my daughter back out too soon, so I'll post pics of her as well. Thanks again!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 10:50am
Set the boom up in the drive way and have someone reslly pull on it. Both cables should be tought and rigid while skier is on.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Set the boom up in the drive way and have someone reslly pull on it. Both cables should be tought and rigid while skier is on.

Good observation Ryan. I first noticed the boom springing a lot, but could not attribute it to anything. I think it is the uneven cables.

Steve, the burning of your feet is likely bad glide. Socks would create too much resistance for me. Plus I LOVE the feel of the water under my feet. THAT is why I barefoot. Sure you have to toughen your feet up, but you were on great water. I have been getting some of that burn backwards, mostly when I am plowing. Bend your knees a bit, moreover, drive your knees forward so they are over your ankles. That will flatten your foot.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 6:53pm
Roy
Hijack
Still green on the trip, have to plan somethings..but most likely it will be around september..
I´ll keep you updated...

Well for me no ffoting this days..saturday I finally got to solve my carb´s gremlins..and sunday I was ready but it rained...
probably this saturday I´ll be able to foot.
nice videos Steve!!!

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 7:02pm
Sebastian, September is one of the best months here in California to barefoot. Weather is warm, wind is low. No rain to speak of. Ideal. As soon as you know your plans I will set up some ski dates with different people and ski sites to give you the flavor of the area.

I have been a ski maniac lately. Last Weds. I skied all day in a clinic with David Small, then skied Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the ski club. I skied with some other guys at their club on Monday. Off to the club tomorrow for an afternoon/evening set. Life's good!
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 12:09am
Lakeboy gives new meaning to the saying "Goin clubbin"

Note for Skutsch:
start with the handle in tight to your belly button, arms bent at your sides, have driver pull you a little slower up to speed, as you get to barefoot speed set feet down and push handle out and stand up (in one motion)

your boom mount needs to be angled back a bit and/or tighten the cables, also just use the 5 foot handle-no additional rope for now, I like the height of the boom thats good, and don't be afraid to ski some more holding directly to the boom, do stand up sit downs and that will help you get up easier on the 5ft handle. plus you can practice one foots right on the boom for a while. It's good to go back and forth plus you will be able to ski more then....oh and GOOD JOB!

The guy in the socks did pretty good too. you guys should both try to push the handle down towards the water as you ski don't let it get up so high as shoulders or higher or you're asking for a faceplant
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 12:28am

my new custom suit is on the way!!!!!!!!!!!    I went for the one with the black butt
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 2:03am
Nice. That's got West Coast written all over hit, no "pun" intended. Eagle does good work and stands behind there stuff. Got a couple of handles headed my way myself.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2010 at 3:41am
Nice Suit Andy.

here is a video I made when skiing with David Small. I posted it elsewhere on the board, but it is good enough to merit this.

Barefooting with David Small
Got Foot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 152>
  Share Topic