Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3738394041 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 2:47pm
I just started learning to foot late lst season and plan to continue come spring. When doing tumble ups on the boom -- the front of my thigh tends to get bruised. Also, my calves tend to get bruised if they come in contact with the water when gliding on my butt.

Is there any additional projection available for my thighs when I do tumble ups? Would footing in a 3/4 leg jump suit help project my calves? What needs to improve in my form to stop be from getting beat up?

Thanks!
ky82sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky82sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 4:05pm
I would be wearing a full body suit if i got back in to barefooting.
ouch!
1982 ski nautique
1966 Al Tyll Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 4:45pm
At first I thought you were getting bruised through your suit, but then I decided (especially the calf part) that you meant where your skin was exposed. (I was going to say some folks wear jump shorts under their suits for more padding, but thats not your problem.)

A little bruising comes with the territory and is a good conversation starter ("yeah, I got these bruises while barefooting") and the mark of a good day out on the water. However, I would say what you are seeing seems unusual or excessive. First thought is that if you are just learning, you might be spending too much time on your chest and then butt. Maybe once you get more experience it will all happen more quickly and you won't get so beat up. Pictures or videos would help folks critique your form to see if there is something that could be done to help.
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 5:55pm
I do mean where my skin is exposed. Ouch! Large, purple and yellow bruises.

I have been using an eagle suit with Lane Dog Bowers shorts under it. I'm fine everywhere I'm covered. I'll try to get some video come spring time when I'm back at it.

Any additional thoughts?

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 5:56pm
Smoother water?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 7:15pm
When I first started, I got major bruising from the plastic leg strap buckle getting beaten into my skin by the water, mainly due to extended time taken to get my legs around at that time. I removed the strap and actually haven't added it back since then.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 7:19pm
Yeah, I second that on the water. I foot all the time in my sleeveless suit with extra shorts on. I never get bruised, even if I am bouncing around. I hear complaints about bruising, but never get them...
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 9:51pm
I also take bruises..lol. even more when I was learning..now it seems I don't get so beat up as i did before, therefore less bruises...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 9:55pm
Hey Roy!! good to have you back..hoping you get well soon to see you again ripping the water...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 10:01pm
Thanks Seb. Been a tough Fall/Winter for staying healthy. Did some snowboarding yesterday with the family. We got the little guy, Luke, out on skis. He had a blast. I was supposed to foot with Willie today, but the plan fell apart. Weather has been spring-like here.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2011 at 10:10pm
I'm planning a morning session tomorrow, wake and foot...I was almost going out today..but had no one to leave Tomy (the little one) with, so I had to stay..day was perfect..sunny..but little windy though..
we'll see how it turns out
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 12:19am
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Yeah, I second that on the water. I foot all the time in my sleeveless suit with extra shorts on. I never get bruised, even if I am bouncing around. I hear complaints about bruising, but never get them...

I see/hear that too. I spent a lot of time bouncing around behind the boom and boat on everything but my feet, and don't remember any bruises. I tended to do most stuff on the slow side (butt glide/3 point around 25 to 30 and then pushing up to my feet at about 33 to 38), so maybe the speed is too fast???

Check out Lane Bowers site for lots of free video's on the "power glide". That will help too. Video is the best tool though!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 1:23am
those videos are awesome....
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 3:47pm
RE: bruising

bruising on the calf and topside of thigh.

Most likely the bruising on the calf is from the rope- when you deep water start only cross your toes over the rope don't put a whole leg over it...if you bounce too much LET GO! everyone bounces when learning to foot -it just goes away one day.

bruising on topside of thigh happens on the tumble up because you are spinning on the wrong hip- you have to twist to pick up the leading edge .
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 4:10pm
I was out today..working on the glide thing..bouncy trousy..lol..awfull...
looks like I'm doing it all wrong...
I'm currently uploading the videos...
sadly after my session I hitted a log and bent the shaft...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Most likely the bruising on the calf is from the rope- when you deep water start only cross your toes over the rope don't put a whole leg over it....

I get the impression from Adam's (OP) post that he is still doing his tumble ups holding directly onto the boom, no short line yet (hence no rope damage...yet) I am trying to picture where calves would be getting clobbered by the water to bruise them. All I can think is on the spin-around or really bad form once around. Here is a good video clip to show a tumble up Adam. Compare this to what you are doing.

Kap...sorry about the crappy day out, between bad runs and the damage (hopefully minor...don't want to miss too many days) But, we all have those days, so hang in there.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 4:58pm
run 1

run 2

run 3

run 4

I should know by now but..how do I embeb a video..lol
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 6:59pm
Seb;

Great job running though the first set of waves in "run 2". Finally hooked up a toe hold on "run 3" Awesome! I thought the defensive strategy after your release (of the toe hold) of going back to the 3 point was good.

Your looking really strong, good examples of "meat hook - shoulder role" through out. its amazing how that leads to a good power glide. You HAVE been watching those Lane Bower videos!   
63CCSN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63CCSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2011 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Most likely the bruising on the calf is from the rope- when you deep water start only cross your toes over the rope don't put a whole leg over it....

I get the impression from Adam's (OP) post that he is still doing his tumble ups holding directly onto the boom, no short line yet (hence no rope damage...yet) I am trying to picture where calves would be getting clobbered by the water to bruise them. All I can think is on the spin-around or really bad form once around. Here is a good video clip to show a tumble up Adam. Compare this to what you are doing.

Thank you! The video was a huge help (I think... won't know til spring). In the video he rolls on to his back/butt before spinning around. I'm certain that in the few tries I took at it last fall, I wasn't all the way on my back/butt when I spun around. Also in the video he spun around at about 20mph, and I was probably much faster than that, closer to 30mph. I'm thinking that is where both sets of bruises came from... dragging to long, at too high a speed and then skipping my legs a little bit as a drag myself around, without fully being on my back/butt.

The few runs I took in the fall, I felt very stable in the 3 point glide and was able to stand... get back to my butt and let go. All of it on the boom. When I go back to it in the spring... I'll work more on getting on to my back/butt before spinning around.

So, I can get on my butt at a slower speed.. say 20mph-ish. What speed should I be going from the 3 point to standing on my feet? I am 5'10" and weigh between 165 and 170lbs.

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:15am
Originally posted by 63CCSN 63CCSN wrote:

So, I can get on my butt at a slower speed.. say 20mph-ish. What speed should I be going from the 3 point to standing on my feet? I am 5'10" and weigh between 165 and 170lbs.

You should be able to stand in the low 30 range. A good technique is to have your driver watch for you to make your tumble. Once the driver sees you get around to the front and in a 3 point position, have them give you a steady acceleration up to speed. When you feel the speed coming on, you'll be able to start slowly standing. The key will be to move slowly and smoothly putting your heels near your butt....avoid stabbing your feet into the water. You'll be surprised at how slow of a speed you can stand if you have good form and move into position slowly.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2011 at 10:16pm
Why not try back deeps?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

run 1

run 2

run 3

run 4

I should know by now but..how do I embeb a video..lol

Sebastian: Nice footing out there. (the faceplant was "classic" in run 1!!!) You were out on some rough water. I have a couple of pointers: If you fall, let go of the rope. *It is a bad habit to try to "save" the run. Let go, and start over. You can really injure yourself hanging on.   *I notice you are trying the Lane Bowers "power band" stance with the hips forward. I can't vouch for that method personally, but there is not a ranked barefooter in the world that skis that way.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 2:42pm
thanks for the tips..
actually on the power band i was trying to see If I could lower the riding speed..only that..I see its little diferent from my normal position...
On the falls you are right..I need to quit trying to save the run..

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 10:00pm
kids learning dry land

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2011 at 10:46pm
Those pictures are almost as cool as your boat party pictures, almost. Classic falls indeed, your form is looking solid you're doing very well!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Those pictures are almost as cool as your boat party pictures, almost.

he likes to see me practicing, he yells at me "daddy practice"..
He looks at me and then he tries to emulate all my movements..

Yesterday night he was doing one hander sideslides, one footers, front to back and viceversa turns...and he went for the tumble turn and smashed his head against the floor and started crying..poor boy..but I´m proud!!!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 4:40pm
Too Funny Seb! Classic!
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 7:00pm
Seb:
     For many years my son's favorite toy was a 5' rope and handle tied around the leg of the coffee table in the family room where he would practice his deeps, tumbles, recoveries, etc. Always felt this was all good as he was on the boom by age 7 and long line by age 9. Still footin' today [soon to turn 30!!] and recently placed 2nd at the Lake Norman New Years Day tournament.
     Great to see the young ones still like to copy Dad...keep them at it and you will always have skiing buddies!!
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 12:03pm
New Sanger DXII pushes 55 mph!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2011 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

New Sanger DXII pushes 55 mph!

Not a bad looking boat. I'm not a big fan of towers, but I can see having one on a barefoot boat, and if you have to have one, thats not a bad looking tower, I like the traditional construction. Was looking at CCs 200 sport v-drive at the boat show yesterday. Beautiful boat and according to Rhoni, probably the best crossover boat on the market. Yet it had a dopey looking tower on it. If I won the lottery and bought a new 200 sport, I guess I would look pretty silly putting my $100 fly-hi on an $80,000 boat, but I'd do that before getting the goofy tower.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3738394041 152>
  Share Topic