Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4243444546 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Seb;

Here is a link to a thread on barefoot central, where they discuss neck braces:

Advice on Neck Braces

I think the one they settle on is the one you mention above.

Steve

nice reading!!
forum platform is much like CCF..lol
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 6:45pm
videos...from my last outing
toe hold on tape...

waves

back deeps attemps

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:08pm
kapla, I love your videos.

Are those chunks of grass that are scattered about? I saw a few black blobs you skied almost directly over.

Try to keep your legs straight even when they're hooked on the rope. Definitely too fast on the boat speed. Have your driver read this thread, he'll get a better understanding of what is supposed to be going on.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:20pm
Kevin..indeed they are water plants, the kind they float around...they are soft so actually no problem on running over them...though they can get cought between the toes and cause a nice mess lol...
as you can see not the ideal waters i ski on...debris is always around, low lands so when high tides lots of logs, branches get washed away....

I´d like to show him this thread..but has no english skills..so I might need to translate everything..LOL

About my videos..they are rough... I need to start editing them and adding some music I guess...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:21pm
Kapla - as always awesome videos. I learn so much from watching and then reading the critiques. Keep trying!

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:33pm
On secound thought...get the neckbrace as soon as possible and learn to let go! They're going to start calling you Sebastian "The Scorpion King" Kaplansky, you might still have the death-grip on the handle. Relax your hands and arms and let the pull come from your shoulder. It will sometimes buy you a few more micro secounds before you eat it and your arms won't wear out as fast. Looking good, keep the videos coming.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

They're going to start calling you Sebastian "The Scorpion King" Kaplansky

The scorpion in the first video had me cringing. A neckbrace will really help take all kinds of falls, I feel invincible with my BFC on.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 7:54pm
yes I always think about that..I have to let go!!
Steve..now I feel like guinea pig!!!

videos are awesome way to show my "improvement", thanks to the help I get here from you guys!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

They're going to start calling you Sebastian "The Scorpion King" Kaplansky

The scorpion in the first video had me cringing. A neckbrace will really help take all kinds of falls, I feel invincible with my BFC on.

actually on the first video..is not a scorpion, or at least not a bad one..felt more like a nice faceplant to me!!! I have had bad scorpions were my back would sore for a few days, and one was not.
Last scorpion I had was on first time learning long line deeps...after that i haven´t had bad falls...cross fingers...
Looking that second video now I remember I let go late and felt a little strech in my shoulder...nothing bad...

I have taken more bad falls out of wakeboarding lately, on bad air raley, cripts or unbalanced w2w jumps, where you rotate and land on the back!!!

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 12:40am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

let me get this:
once I get to slide with the chest and both feet around the rope, I first let go one foot and leave the other around the rope to get the feeling? then viceversa?
Ok will try next time out...
something like this video right?

Yes you are correct. Try to let the leg/foot in the water go wider than what is shown in the video clip you posted. If you can get the driver to hold the right speed, you should be able to go for for a count of about 5 and then switch legs. Then keep alternating your feet. As one of the other guys mentioned keep your leg on the rope straight and don't pull in on your arms.

Good luck and keep the videos coming.....we've still got ice here.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 1:31pm
well looks like I will get a neckbrace....so the barefoot central one is the right one?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 2:50pm
There is no "right" one. The BFC one is probably the most protective.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 4:12pm

There is no "right" one. The BFC one is probably the most protective.

Think most would agree.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 4:32pm
I like the BFC neckbrace. For those that winter foot, the BFC does not work great with a dry suit.

nice work on the toe holds!

Seb: On the back deeps: You are not "planing" because your body is not stiff. You are bending and flexing, especially in the waist. Your need to stiffen up, that's why you are bouncing...you need to be stiff as a log, and ride your cup (if you have one; a cup is recommended)

As the boat starts, make your first thought long, relaxed arms. Next thought is "am I stiff as a board?" Tighten your but cheeks, stiffen the legs, roll the shoulders down, and ride it until you plane out.

Lane Bowers instructional video had a very good section on the back deep. May be worth getting!
Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

I like the BFC neckbrace. For those that winter foot, the BFC does not work great with a dry suit.

Which is why I might consider this one if you intend on wearing it often while wearing a drysuit. Like the "first" generation BFC brace (didn't have a cover), it's just a piece of foam with a velcro strap attached. You could certainly make your own.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 5:57pm
Is that one new or newly discovered Kevin? I have never seen it before and for price alone might have leaned toward that one over the BFC one. It didnt come up when I asked the question a year ago. Its similar to the Barefoot company one, but on the Barefoot company one, that buckle on the front is right on the bare skin of your neck, which doesn't appeal to me at all during a catastrophic fall.

The one you pictured is similar to the Scarpa one, isnt it? But I seem to recall the Scarpa one got kind of bad reviews, plus I believe its NLA, but I could be wrong.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 6:05pm
I will actually need an all around neckbrace as I ski year round (winter with the drysuit of course)..really don´t like to buy 2...
whats the problem of the BFC and the BI Drysuit?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 6:12pm
Here is the link and price for the neck brace above. The funny thing is the houses next door were my dad's and aunt's.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 6:23pm
I will certainly look for materials locally and try to emulate that one...
that piece of foam might be tricky to get...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 6:40pm
I know I've talked about this brace with TRBenj in the past, unfortunate I didn't post it but you'll be very happy with the BFC brace. Chuck posted a video wearing the BFC brace under a drysuit before, but I just don't think it's practical. Typically when I'm in the bag I'm not trying lots of brand new moves anyway...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 7:12pm

....but you'll be very happy with the BFC brace.

not sure if you were talking to Kap or me, but I got mine before last season and it was a life saver last year. Takes a lot of the fear out of it, knowing wrecking your neck isnt going to be a consequence of a bad spill. When I first started learning, before I bought or cobbed together mine, I was good for 3-4 spills (i.e. 3-4 attempts, as attempt = spill) and had to quit for the neck pain.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 7:57pm
I wonder If the pool noodle style foam will do the trick..I think its available in sheets and its used as inner padding for life jackets...
At leats make a one until I get one shipped from the US...

Just received a mail from BFC on shipping charges for the BFC neck..$35 on usps ...
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 8:31pm
Hey Kapla,
Looks like you're progressing very well. I hope to be where you are by the end of our summer. I'm in the process of getting my boom setup squared away, I've got a new-to-me suit in the mail and just waiting on a few more degrees before I get to it. Please keep the photos and vids coming. They are motivating and entertaining at the same time.

Also, Larry, where do I get some of those tinted goggles that you use. I have a terrible light hypersensitivity and I'm too old to care what people might say. Seriously, are they special goggles or just some or what? Do they stay on pretty good while you're footing?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Hey Kapla,
Looks like you're progressing very well. I hope to be where you are by the end of our summer. I'm in the process of getting my boom setup squared away, I've got a new-to-me suit in the mail and just waiting on a few more degrees before I get to it. Please keep the photos and vids coming. They are motivating and entertaining at the same time.

Also, Larry, where do I get some of those tinted goggles that you use. I have a terrible light hypersensitivity and I'm too old to care what people might say. Seriously, are they special prescription goggles or what? My vision is perfect, I just can't handle the light. Do they stay on pretty good while you're footing?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 9:34pm
The brace from Barefoot ETC(Robert Teurezbacher)is the same as a Scarpa Bull Collar but much cheaper $. They are not very durable. The strap tears away from the foam(glued). Do not expect them to last a long time. I own/have used both a Barefoot Company and a Scarpa Bull Collar.

I have also seen the BFC brace tear.

I would just go with the Barefoot Company (LakeElmoSports)
You can wear it slightly loose. Super durable, it will last for years and years and it works. (I had 1 fall in hundreds where the buckle left an imprint on my throat)

If you don't like your neckbrace because it is "too constricting", "limits your motion too much" or any number of other "reasons" then you will NOT wear it. So the easier it is to put on and take off the better.

So- my point is that no matter which one you choose be sure to USE IT.
They all work. None of them are comfortable. None of them are stylish. No chick will ever say Wow I like your neckbrace.

That sure is a nice Sanger Barefooter that Robert is selling on his Barefoot ETC site. Have not seen those new updated Jaskis they look nice but $199 geez?
This is the life
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 10:22pm
Steve,

The goggles I wear are regular competitive swimming goggles. Cinch them down a little bit and they stay on through pretty much anything. I've lost a few sets, mostly backwards falls. Front falls, I guess they just get pushed into your face (No, never to the point of hurting, pain or injury) You can get them at any decent sporting goods store or online for about $8 to $25 depending on style.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I would just go with the Barefoot Company (LakeElmoSports)
You can wear it slightly loose. Super durable, it will last for years and years and it works. (I had 1 fall in hundreds where the buckle left an imprint on my throat)

Brad bought a few of these- one for himself and one for me. The buckle wasnt the most comfortable, but otherwise didnt bother me. I think I used it twice before it broke though... Brad's lasted a few more runs I think? Presumably the buckle broke, but I cant be sure- I couldnt find the darn thing after it fell off. It might even have sunk?

I got a BFC brace this winter... very much looking forward to using it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 3:29pm
WOW..looks like I have to carefully choose the right one..as of yesterday I was going for the $43 from lake elmo...now from Tim´s comments not sure that the right one..
You guys there can claim under warranty but for me that is expensive...
I think I´ll get the $100 from barefoot central and try to make it fit the drysuit...

not sure though
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 9:18pm
You may have already looked at it but we had a pretty good discussion on the neck braces here on the site a while back here's the link. Take a look if you haven't......like a couple of others here, I've got the BFC brace and would recommend it to you even though it is on the expensive side.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 4:26pm
looks like I will bit the bullet and buy the $100...along with a pair of shoes skis.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4243444546 152>
  Share Topic