Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4344454647 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 5:04pm
Good decision!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 5:28pm
now some pictures of night dryland practice...
wife

team up

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 6:04pm
I think you might be on to something there. A whole new twist to the sport. Certainly less painful, wind is not a problem and the "pairs" aspect is full of possibilities.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2011 at 1:57am
Kap

Here's a link to some videos from Lane Bowers that might give you a bit of help on the back deeps. He does a pretty good job of explaining the boat driving and starting stages. Hope watching will give you a couple of ideas.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 11:26pm
hey i actually tried it yesterday!!:D:D got up on a ski and drop them from a boom barefooted for about 5 second when i took the worst crash ever in everything i tried!! but heck next week gonna try it again!

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 11:49pm
KO, Awesome, now you will be hooked for sure! Congrats, you just took the first step...
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 12:09am
This is the life
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 12:10am

Congratulations. You will be surprised how easy it is to get addicted to the falls bumps and bruises.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 12:31am
Excellent.....the smile in the photos says it all. Enjoy the ride!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 6:37am
Aaahh, Kenrick, I remember the first time I got up on the boom and like you crashed five seconds later...! I was hooked! So will you be...

Reading these posts makes me wanna get on the water really really bad... Temps have to rise here, cause I can't wait anymore!!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 12:19pm
45 pages later, success! LOL

Great job, keep at it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

45 pages later, success! LOL

Great job, keep at it.

The same here..keep trying!!

now is that your boat? doesn´t look like..
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 6:53pm
BTW

give it a couple of more tries till you sure you like it, then go get a nice barefoot suit..it will certainly save you some bruises, and water intrussion in some body exits...
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 9:43pm
hahah no it's sadly done on a mastercraft but heck he alreeady had the boom on and chalenged me. yeah definitly a rush going so fast on the water. I'm doing it again this weekend and hopefully last longer then 5 sec. maybe this week i'll do a video
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 9:41pm
Stopped by here today:

Was looking for a Cable Block for a Fly High, couldn't find one so I decided to stop by. Very cool old building, most of manufacturing seemed centered around Fat Sac's. At first they didn't seem to excited to have a visitor, once they found out what I was looking for, they allowed me in. They admitted that is a tough part to find.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 4:39am
Pretty cool to have them in the neighborhood, well extended neighborhood anyway.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 6:55pm
from last sunday
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 7:04pm
Very clean tumble up and very solid toe hold. You continue to make great progress.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 7:07pm
I just love your videos. Huge rollers, very clean tumble up, very clean toe hold (I don't think I can get my foot up that high), then catch a toe!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 7:31pm
trying new tricks...

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 8:11pm
Its amazing how much better you are now than at the beginning of the season. Great job!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 8:20pm
thanks!!
I need to edit a video and put all the learning stages to see progress all together..haha
Maybe Roy (aka Lakeboy aka Sacfooter) can help me with this venture
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2011 at 11:49pm
Yeah those guys are right - you are lookin good.
nice try on the dolphin start you will get that - the harder you slam your chest down the higher you will bounce (plus timing) so once you get the right amount of pressure and timing you will land on your feet. I would say that you should not try to side slide on the 5 foot handle yet, you could really jack up a knee very easily. It's easy to get too caught up in things and try things when conditions are not ideal and it leads to injury I know from experience so don't rush into learning a trick. Take it in steps and work up to it. First...Wait for SMOOTH water!!! LOL-- and then hang directly off the boom with it super high over your head and you can start to learn a side slide there much safer, next slowly transition to a 5ft handle but wrapped to about 2 feet long...then slowly let it out and you can lower the boom as you become better at it and then take it longline.

It's real important to not get hurt right now in your footing because you are learning how to fall and what not to do and so generally your chances of injury will go down after you get a certain level of experience under your belt-- so stay safe keep footin
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 12:25am
This thread really goes over the sideslide very well. LaneDawg gives a great description of how to learn it. In fact it was from reading this post and following it that I am doing sideslides.

cut n paste

http://www.barefoot-forum.com/barefootforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=305&KW=&PID=3467&title=side-slides#3467
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2011 at 1:29am
Nice job Kapla! The videos show lots of improvement in your 'footing skills. Keep 'em coming.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:06pm
hey guys,
I got my first barefoot run of the season yesterday with my "new to me" boom setup and wetsuit/shorts. Damn, the suit and shorts are nice. For the first time ever, I didn't feel like I was taking a beating.

Boom was chest height for me. Speed was wide open (wife said 38-40mph). I calibrated speedos last week with GPS at 20mph so I'm guessing that my speed is accurate to +/- 1-2mph.

I'm 190lbs and felt that I was sinking the whole time. I'm certain that my problems are form/technique and plan to shoot some video on my next outing if possible. BTW, has anyone made a decent camera mount? I'd like to rig up something that could clamp to either the windshield frame or pylon.

I only had enough in me for about 3 or 4 runs (yes, I'm out of shape). What instructional sites do you guys recommend that could provide good insight on proper barefooting stance/form/technique. I need to get the basics down so that I can have a more enjoyable ride given the speed limitations.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:14pm
Lane Bowers, point and flex. He's got all this stuff online, for free. PDFs and YouTube clips. GLIDE. Quinnkles is 200+ lbs and regularly foots in multi-man runs below 40 mph. I'm sure it's tiring for him but he skis remarkably clean for such a "low" speed.

Glad to hear your wife is comfortable pulling a barefooter, I can't imagine what it's like not having a decent driver.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:16pm
Can't go wrong reviewing the instructional videos that Lane "Dawg" Bower's Footer's Edge posts:

Footers Edge

Sign up on his website and he'll send you helpful emails and an electronic book of good stuff. You will have to put up with some of his marketing stuff.

Aside from that, posting video's here is the best way to get customized critiques.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:18pm
^^yup^^

38-40mph on the boom for someone your (our) weight is cooking for sure. Get some video posted if you can, that will tell all.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 7:12pm
I´m always on the boom riding, and every time I get to drive a barefooter on the boom I get surprised on how dificult task it is!!! steer pulls, need to pay attention on the way you are going as everything goes so fast, and eventually take a look at the rider to see if he has fallen etc..definetely a spotter is needed.

As far as speed I´m around 170lb, on the 5´rope i´m in the 39-40 miles and 41 when doing 1 footers..directly on the boom i can get slower, say 36-37 miles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4344454647 152>
  Share Topic