Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4445464748 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

I only had enough in me for about 3 or 4 runs (yes, I'm out of shape). What instructional sites do you guys recommend that could provide good insight on proper barefooting stance/form/technique. I need to get the basics down so that I can have a more enjoyable ride given the speed limitations.

consider that a lot...I sometimes get burned after 1 long set (if I haven´t done for at least 3 weeks). I complain all the hassle of leaving office early, 30 minutes cruising to the ski spot..for 5 minutes of footing..lol..then I see the city from the water and feel happy to be able to be there!!!

Actually when I got started in the sporst my foreamrs where the first I got burned...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 10:11pm
I don't know if I'd say that my wife is "comfortable" driving for me on the boom yet. She'll hammer down with me on the longline stepping off of a kneeboard in a heartbeat, but the close proximity, fear of the boom, steering pull of my fat butt on the end of the boom, keeping the kids seated etc., is a handful no doubt. Mostly, she's just a good sport. It's actually kind of beneficial that the boom runs out the port side as she can easily keep the kids in view while she's keeping her eye on me. In some ways, perhaps its easier to babysit with the boom than without I guess.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 12:37am
crappy water today..though I was able to nail a good clean dolphind start....no pcitures ...
I know HW will have some commnets about,,lol
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 12:50am
btw I'm not sure it was the rough waters...but my back and waist hurt a lot!!!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:22am
didnt happen
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:27am
Just kidding. As always, I am impressed with your progress. Next step is dolphining into bacerds as seen at about 2:30 in this video....Don't get hurt.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:07pm
hey guys...still no video yet....went out for round 2 of the season for me this year. another 4 or 5 barefoot runs directly from the boom. I had a couple of runs where the stars lined up and had a decent ride (posture/stance/foot position I guess....judging this by spray in the face, feel, etc.), but still way more spray than I wanted.

wife thinks that the boom is too high and that I'm not leaning back far enough I tend to agree. I'd say it's more head high than chest high and this was due partly to the people and way we had them loaded this time out. that problem is easy enough to fix next time.

I've watched and read lane bowers talk about the "point and flex" deal with your foot. this seems incredibly difficult for me so far.

I'm also puzzled in that I can ride more comfortably long line at this point (stepping off of the kneeboard) than I can directly off of the boom. thinking of going to the 5ft. line next weekend to see if I can improve the feel of my ride. also thinking of putting the tennis shoes on too to until i get the feel right, but I think that will hinder my progression. what do ya'll think? right now it's miserable, but I am committed to improving.

dealing with a less than perfect driving situation too so i'm unsure of how much, if any, that's effecting my performance.

if any decent barefooters are at the WL gathering this weekend, I'd love to have you in the boat with me to observe, drive, etc.

hope to have some footage from the next outing for critique/examination very soon.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:58pm
Don't hurry onto the rope...stick with the boom for a while (no shame!!!) use it as the training aid it is. I doubt it was too high. work on one foots, concentrate on glide. if you lean back too far you will plow. play a game of "How slow can you go?"

Barefooting is high intensity- take more short runs rather than long.

Remember to breathe...constantly remind yourself to breathe...and relax (just not too much )
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 12:25am

hey guys...still way more spray than I wanted.

When my friends had this problem, I would remind them to get thier hips low, thier knees further out in front of them, thier feet under and wider than thier knees. This worked about 99% of the time to eliminate spray to the face.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 9:44am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Don't hurry onto the rope...stick with the boom for a while (no shame!!!) use it as the training aid it is. I doubt it was too high. work on one foots, concentrate on glide. if you lean back too far you will plow. play a game of "How slow can you go?"

Barefooting is high intensity- take more short runs rather than long.

Remember to breathe...constantly remind yourself to breathe...and relax (just not too much )

Andy,
staying on the boom makes sense. One foots are out of the question at this point. I'm sinking b/c my technique sucks. too unstable at this point to do anything other than work on the glide, posture, foot position etc. playing the "how slow can you go game?" won't work for me either at this point b/c I just don't have the most basic component down yet.

I really need a video.

thanks for the input. i'll post a video after next weekend if i can find some calm water at WL.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

I would remind them to get thier hips low, thier knees further out in front of them, thier feet under and wider than thier knees.

I don't know what you mean by "low" but by bringing your hips closer to your hands/handle it will naturally flatten out your feet.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 8:28pm

nice slow move barefoot shots...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 12:53am
Yeah I've seen that vid - pretty cool

Steve- Stay directly on the boom until you can ride both of your one foots confidently.

And keep your head up/eyes up on the horizon or looking straight ahead and not down at your feet or at the peeps in the boat.

The sinking feeling will go away...kind of
This is the life
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 10:12am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Yeah I've seen that vid - pretty cool

Steve- Stay directly on the boom until you can ride both of your one foots confidently.

And keep your head up/eyes up on the horizon or looking straight ahead and not down at your feet or at the peeps in the boat.

The sinking feeling will go away...kind of

Andy et al, Thanks for the feedback. I ordered Lane Bowers DVD and am hoping to combine those tips with input from here.

Also, I was able to hook up with a local footer who offered to pull me for a couple of sets to give me some instruction. I think the combination of all this advice will be invaluable.

Andy, I think staying directly on the boom makes sense for now. I do hope to progress to the 5ft. rapidly though.

Thanks again.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2011 at 8:19pm
Update on my bacerds...
well no updates actually as all the gear I bought(foot skis, and neck brace) are still in MIA...my friend who was supposed to get them to me never got to pick up the stuff, so its there...
I´m waiting for someone to travel to FL within this month and be able to do the favor of getting the stuff for me...
Steve(skutsch) I should have dealt with you and had them mail directly to my house....
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2011 at 11:20pm
Finally some video thanks to Greg Fossett NCH2OSKIER and his daughter Kriten.

I made 3 runs I think at the White Lake Mini. I've been on the boom exclusively so far this year and really had no intention of long lining, but the offer to foot was extended and I wasn't goint to turn it down. These were my first long line (deepwater start with no shoes) attempts in about 20 years. I think I did ok, but fellas, I've got a long way to go. Please check out these three vids and offer critiques.

These were also posted by Greg in the WL Mini pics threads, but since I've wanted to get some videos up for coaching purposes, I thought I'd paste them over. What do you guys think?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgcnqwpFSGQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jgAOUFwqOU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXFOjRDU5o

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 1:13am
I think we need more footing time on the water
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 5:05am
They all looked good. Just let your arms all the way out (shoulders back)and drop your butt by an inch or two by bending the knee a little bit more. We all need more time on the water.
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 6:29pm
hey steve..looking good!!
I was able to do long line deeps..almost 1 year after I started on the boom...
first attemp I good!! LOL, I also liked the wife? comments..lol...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 7:56pm

Finally some video thanks to Greg Fossett NCH2OSKIER and his daughter Kriten.

I made 3 runs I think at the White Lake Mini. I've been on the boom exclusively so far this year and really had no intention of long lining, but the offer to foot was extended and I wasn't goint to turn it down. These were my first long line (deepwater start with no shoes) attempts in about 20 years. I think I did ok, but fellas, I've got a long way to go. Please check out these three vids and offer critiques.

These were also posted by Greg in the WL Mini pics threads, but since I've wanted to get some videos up for coaching purposes, I thought I'd paste them over. What do you guys think?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgcnqwpFSGQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jgAOUFwqOU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OXFOjRDU5o

A slower, smoother pull out by the driver might help the massive stern rollers you are encountering. If you are going to edge outside the wake, try it at a slower speed (28-32) then have the driver hammer it when you get out.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 7:59pm
Hey Roy!!!
how are you?!! are you footing? really miss your videos!!!

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 8:04pm
Hey Seb. Last time I went out was mid-February when Willies engine blew. Andy's boat has been in the shop all winter, my lake is closed, so I was high and dry for a while. It rained like crazy this winter/spring, so that and the boat situation, it was easy to slack and get into other things.

The warm weather is back, my ski club is open, so it will be game-on and I have a lot to make up! Hoping to go out with Willie this week, and my club this weekend. I will pay a dear price after being off the water. I will keep you posted!
Got Foot?
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 8:08pm
[/QUOTE]

A slower, smoother pull out by the driver might help the massive stern rollers you are encountering. If you are going to edge outside the wake, try it at a slower speed (28-32) then have the driver hammer it when you get out.[/QUOTE]

I think Greg was trying to help me get outside of the wake to the sweet spot. As you can see in each video, I was pretty much out of control while on my butt. Wasn't able to get a good feel for how to steer (cheek?)

Can't wait to get back on the water. The weekend only fueled the flames.

Kap, thanks for the encouragement.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 8:42pm
some pictures from mid march...
Taken by a friend..just got them posted on FB today..as you can see nice water!!!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 8:50pm
Those photos reveal that you are leaning too far back on the toeholds---CRUNCH forwards...they will be easier and better
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2011 at 8:53pm
yup..been working on that as you can see on the lastest video I posted on page 45??
Rockster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2011 at 7:24pm
I was in the ski show at Sea World and yes it was many moons ago
I was in the Barefoot show and I always taught from the boom with a short rope and a kneeboard or surf board, However the surf board will tend to rap you in the Kahuna's if not careful. At that time I was 220lb and me personally loved wide open with a slight ripple. You can teach better from a boom using a wireless ear piece as well. Thats my 2 cents what it is worth.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 12:17am
Hey guys, I went out tonight for my 6th barefoot session of the season. Footed tonight with a seasoned, competitive footer. Great boat (Sanger DXII with a new PCM 409, Super Fly High, boom, Zero Off), great driver/coach, ideal water conditions, zero distractions.

What a difference, I explained my experience and what I'd been doing and he started me on the 5ft. off the boom. I did deepwater starts and although they were far from textbook, I made major strides. Within just a couple of runs, had me making major improvements on the butt glide, three point, overall posture etc. Made all the difference in the world. Pulled me comfortably, w/o spray in the face, anywhere from 34-40mph.

No video to post, but man, posture, stance, good coaching and driving. What a difference. Still high as a kite from all the adrenaline. Totally hooked and can't wait to do it again.

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 12:28am
I will not take the driving comment personally. That Ronnie Meeks is a great person and you would be hard pressed to find any better instruction. Give him my best.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 12:28am
The right water, equipment, and instruction makes all the difference. Congrats!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4445464748 152>
  Share Topic