Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4546474849 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

I will not take the driving comment personally. That Ronnie Meeks is a great person and you would be hard pressed to find any better instruction. Give him my best.

Greg, the comment wasn't aimed at you. I explained my normal driving situation to you so you understand what I mean.

RM had great things to say about you. His instruction was excellent. He didn't want to take anything other than thanks, but I left a twenty with him for gas anyways, but felt guilty for giving so little. The experience and education was worth much more. What a good dude. I hope to have more ski sessions with him.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2011 at 2:03pm
Yesterday I went out...late session at dusk...water was glass...did some runs..set the boom above the head and did side slides attemps..wow..having the boom so high make its very simple..I was grabed on to it. Ha my spray went all over inside the boat..lol...
I will continue to practice...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2011 at 7:45pm
The good thing about the boom that high in the side slides attemps is that eventually if you catch a toe, just lift the feet and start again...I would never try lo let go my arms with the boom that high..lol..nice faceplant I guess...
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2011 at 10:13am
Hey Kap, you gonna post some more videos of you trying the backward deep water starts.   Wondering how you have come along on that. My goal for the season is to get the backward start down, and go from front to back and vice versa. Curious to see how youre doing
levin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2011 at 1:59pm
I wish..Not till I get the neckbrace...It´s there in MIA waiting for someone to bring it to argentina...lol...
I will focus on the onefooters and now the sides slides until i get the gear....
winter is comming now..best moment as almost no boats..just have to use the drysuit...

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 5:55pm
lots of videos get posted here so I thought somebody might be able to help me. I got some footage last night that I want to post in hopes that you guys can video coach me into footing better. The video is uploaded to youtube upside down. I cannot find a rotate function. Can anyone offer an easy solution to rotating 180degrees?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 11:09pm
Okay guys, here's some video to critique (assuming I can get them linked in properly).

I got some coaching last week around the butt glide and 3 point and it helped tremendously, but when I tried to implement them beside my boat, the distraction of the boat spray made it difficult to really work on. Compounding the driver learning curve and others in the boat made concentration difficult. Regardless, I'm committed to improvement.

Check out these couple of videos and offer some advice if you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFtd5yy_gVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT1k83VEl-Q
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2011 at 11:38pm
Steve
I would suggest starting with a boom extension- you will be surprised with how much the additional 18" will make. Otherwise perhaps drop the butt a bit
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:35am
i think so too....as I review the vids, there's so much side spray that it's hard to get a clear picture of my body position while in the butt glide
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:55am
Thats one reason I wear goggles - you can see right through side spray like that. I made some comments on your vids. You look like you are in control, no bounce, just need to go ahead and get up to speed a little quicker and you won't have to eat that side spray as long.

Nice footin.
This is the life
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 10:42am
Thanks Andy,
Thinking out loud here. Bowers and other talk about perfecting your 3 point at 25mph or so before moving on to anything else. I want to do this. You can't really tell it, b/c of the spray, but my transition from butt glide to standing is very sloppy and uncontrolled. You can see from my vids that with my current setup, good 3 point practice is difficult at that speed (25mpth) b/c of that side spray. When I hit the lake this afternoon, I'm going to work on the 3 point at the slowest speed possible that will allow for a good butt glide w/o the spray. I suspect that will be low 30s. Also going to load the boat a little on that side with hope that the spray will be deflected downward before it gets to me.

Also, you mentioned staying directly on the boom until posture and one foots were solid. I find it difficult to get into the right butt glide on the boom. Not saying your advice isn't solid, just saying. My plan is to get solid with the 3 point, stance, posture on the short line and then move it back directly to the boom when I start dabbling with one foots.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:08pm
Steve

One thing that might help on getting the three point down is a sit down-stand-up drill. Pretty simple, once you are up, slowly sit back down, pull the handle in and return to the butt slide then do another slow stand-up. Repeat as many times as the pass will allow.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Also going to load the boat a little on that side with hope that the spray will be deflected down

It sounds counter intuitive but you actually want to load (ballast) the side opposite the boom. Start as far aft as you can.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Also going to load the boat a little on that side with hope that the spray will be deflected down

It sounds counter intuitive but you actually want to load (ballast) the side opposite the boom. Start as far aft as you can.

Really, Steve? That does seem counterintuitive. I'll play with it this afternoon. Hollywood, do you have any secrets to minimizing the spray other than extensions?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2011 at 11:06pm
Steve with that straight pylon you should be able to angle the clamp and boom more towards the bow. This will require adjusting your cables. But this is the big advantage over the standard bent pylon.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 12:41pm

Hollywood, do you have any secrets to minimizing the spray other than extensions?

Speed.

Tough it out or use another boat for the slow stuff.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:22pm
Get the extension!!! I bought it and I´m cheap!!! LOL..money well spent..only $80...and great difference.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2011 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

After measuring this thing, It's hard to believe that an extension is still needed to get out past the spray (160inches by my tape), but I am planning on buying one. I think that once I get it set up properly, it'll really be a nice piece of equipment to have.

Interesting. My boom is 134 inches long, meaning yours is an extra 26 inches long. I would guess that is roughly the length of that extra hunk you have on the boat end of yours, held on with that extra pin. The BI extension is 19 inches, so you should be wayyyy out there.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 4:00pm
Racked up my fourth go-out for the Spring season yesterday. Lots of sore muscles and joints from the 2-3 month hiatus I took from the water. The break did me good. Looking at things in different ways right now. I am re-focusing in basics, posture, glide.

I am staking out 3 goals for this season: one-foot front wake crossings; backwards wake crossings; backwards toe-holds. All of these were in reach last year, but did not quite get there.

Looking to hit the ski club this weekend and let the stick skiers know who rules the water!

Below are a couple of pictures from a winter session in a mountain lake where the water was 40 degrees. Ouch!

Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 4:34pm
nice, good to see you are in action again!!! waiting for the 2011 season videos!!!

5-10-11
let me know if the link works...

side slides
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 5:53pm
Roy - agreed, way to long being off the water. Glad to see you getting back out there. Way to cold here still. Temps hovering in the 50's, water temps are lucky to be in the 40's...

Seb - video not working...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 6:46pm
Ok they are on my profile might work for you from there..those where not uploaded by me so probably as the account is set in private, you can´t access to them
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 6:47pm
facebook videos

youtube
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2011 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

facebook videos

youtube

you are right!! LOL I upload my videos on youtube..this one was taken from a friends camera..I don´t have the file
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 3:29am
First video post of Spring:

Footin' Over a Goose
Got Foot?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 11:59am
Great video Roy! Who was driving, were they playing with you??? Actually that was some pretty darn good driving to bring the goose right between your legs - HA! Bet it was a surprise, looks like no injuries so thats good.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 2:51pm
You can see in the background that most of the geese scattered. I think this sucker was still under water! I looked back and he was limping back to the gaggle with his head bobbing up and down having take a good shot to the dome.

No injuries, just a good story!
Got Foot?
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 5:12pm
Cool video. Bet that bird had the shock of his life

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 5:20pm
That's wild Roy, did you immediately think you hit a goose?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 7:26pm
No, not immediately. I felt the water texture change which must have been from the gaggle of geese that got out of the way. I could have skied it through, but I thought: "OK, something weird just happened...!"
Got Foot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4546474849 152>
  Share Topic