Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 11:46am
What pointers do you need? That all looked pretty smooth tome. Keeping your knees closer when you stand will keep most of that spray out of your face.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 11:48am
25 mph? Really?

How much do you weigh? I'm 180 and I think I would sink at 25. I feel like I'm sinking at 36.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
okyknot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okyknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 1:45pm
I agree with Mark.
I think your speed is way too slow.
The boom is keeping you up. On a long line you could never barefoot at 25 mph.
I am about 200 lbs. I barefoot at 40-41 mph.
H2O is the essence of life.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 2:08pm
The final boat speed obviously was not 25 mph, I think he is talking about the speed at which he tumbles around which looked just fine.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 3:06pm
Oh I think he looks great. I was just surprised at the 25 mph thing and the fact that he's standing up at that speed. I'd be plowing with my feet 2 feet under water.

I think we need lakeboy's confirmation.
1978 Nautique

jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2008 at 11:51pm
I am with Hollywood, the final speed was much faster than 25. At 190 pounds I can foot at 30mph but am eating a ton of water.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 3:19am
What I'm wondering is:
how is the topic starter's (K.O.) barefooting going?!
Watercraftsales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 12:44pm
Lake Boy,

A few easy tips for the tumble up..

First- as you start accelerating, make sure you arms are completely straight. This is why your tumble is so slow. the handle is in at your chest not allowing you to gain any momentum once you want to to get to the front.

So start on your stomach with your arms completely straight, now roll to your back with them straight and in one smooth motion crank the handle into your (right or left hip) its your preference. Starting with your arms out will allow you to gain the necessary momentum to get to the front. The key things are keeping your leading edge (hip) up while you are spinning.

in addition you want to keep your legs together and straight except for a slight bend in the knee. This will allow you to keep your body and abs tighter which will also assist in your tumble to the front. You have your legs apart and set your feet in while you are in the birthing posistion.. The only thing that saved you was that you set them in softly.

I would suggest sweeping your feet back by your hips with your knees slightly together, but the key is when your feet hit the water you have to let the handle out over your knees.

Your tumbles looks decent, one thing that will help is to not let the handle leave your wetsuit. This will make you spin easier and once you let the handle out even a little bit it changes the spot on your butt and back where your spin, thus causing more drag. Padded shorts are a must... the optimum spot is at the top of the crack of you butt, this will allow for the perfect tumble.

Hope this helps, if I get out another time, I will try and post a vid.

Ryan
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 7:58pm
Went out Friday night with guest skier skizzer. The conditions weren't great but that didn't stop us.

Check out how he handles the boat wakes at the end;

Like I said the water was crap - check out my feet bouncing;

1978 Nautique

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2008 at 8:52pm
Nice Mark

Different view then seeing it from my eyes. Still need to work on my stuff but thats what Lake George is for. FUN.............
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2008 at 11:59pm
Looking good there fellas!
MM- I think you're the next candidate for Hollywood's custom shoe ski barefoot trainers!
I'll bring them to LG and pass them along to you Mark Mel.

For days when the water is crappy you can throw on the shoes and still get a good set in. Will also come in handy when you're ready to start some tricks.

HWood sent them to me when I was learning last year and said to pass them along to another Fan.

They're yours!
See you Friday
-Brad
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 2:51pm
I did not mean to throw you guys off on the speed. When I said 25 MPH, that was my speed as I "tumbled up" I set my feet at 32-34, then my guy takes me to 37-38.

I actually worked the tumble-up over the weekend. The key ws drawing the rope directly and quickly to my hip as soon as I roll over. I was on my back too long which made it harder. I did not get video.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 1:14pm
We had another epic weekend at the ski club lake. days of 78 degree water, 90 degree air, NO WIND all day, and the place was abandoned. Can't say where the club members were, but we ripped it up.

I put some finish on my tumble-up start, and worked the long as well. I learned I need a new rope, the old poly-e line I am using is too stretchy. I have started working on my one-foots, and am gearing up for my backwards deep start.

Tumble up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkiBix485jU

Long Line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKyKFTEPy-A

The "learning to barefoot crew" has been quiet the last few weeks! You guys get the winter weather here?

My new footin' crew I hooked up with foot year 'round out here. Should be fun, but cold.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Tumble Up

Long Line

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 3:16pm
Looking good. Haven't had a chance to go much lately. Thought I'd do some up at LG but the chop/weather killed that. Hope to go tom night and should have some vid of that.
1978 Nautique

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 3:31pm
Time on the water makes a huge difference. Getting out with experienced footers really makes a difference, too. I hooked up with 3 separate groups of local footers dialing into a website called BarefootCentral.com.

I have gone out with these guys 4 times and learned a lot. One thing I have picked up is "driving" is a major part of the deal. A good driver knows what speeds you need to plane, butt glide, plant and ski.

I'll go out with these guys and rip some sweet runs, then I will go out on our lake with my wife driving, and it feels like I digressed a month. She does what I tell her, but I don't always know how to make an adjustment.

Now get out there and Rip a Set!
Barracuda Chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 9:31pm
I agree...the driver is such a huge part of the "footin" experience. It is a job in itself.Hand on the throttle and watch the footer. Commit to the water and the footer. Also...an experienced spotter is crucial. Having the same driver was always a big help as they started to anticipate what I would do. It helps a ton!
Barracuda Chick
Stress dissolves when exposed to water
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 9:40pm
I can't imagine learning to foot and having a new driver at the same time. I am having enough trouble teaching my wife and I already know how to foot. I got tired of fighting with her so now she just shoves it down and backs off somewhere around 40 mph. I usually get up this way and she is happy we aren't fighting. At least I still get to foot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 9:49pm
I feel your pain...doing a tumble turn long line does not mean you have fallen. you have to teach the driver to commit to the line until the footer is not attached to the rope. Also...never turn the boat around at full speed if the footer has fallen...that was another huge lesson. My husband did not understand that sometimes falls look harder than they feel.
Barracuda Chick
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 1:36pm
So I made it up on the handle from the boom.

I tried a tumble up. The arm holes on the jump suit I'm using are too big and I didn't like the spray bruise I was getting;

I then was able to get up doing a deep type start. I know my form sux and my arms need to be straighter. I was up for a while and then went down pretty hard. What should I be working on next?

Oh, Phil was with us too and he made it up on the handle too, ran out of batteries on the camera though so no vid.
1978 Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 2:12pm
Mark, nice run! Your form looks pretty decent- like you said, straighten your arms. Also try to bring your hips forward. For the most part, your start looked good- but take your time on the plant!

On the tumble up start, you gotta get the handle to your hip in order to come around.

And tell your driver to bring it back to an idle before turning around.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 2:20pm
He thought I was hurt. It was a bell ringer and I probably went down 10 feet under the surface, lol. He does normally idle down before coming around.

I do need to work on getting my hips forward. I have the same issue when I'm on my ski. I think it might be my back issues. I have two herniated discs in my lower back.

I like being able to go back and forth from the handle to the boom to work out form issues.
1978 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 2:27pm
Good job on your deep water start. I might suggest on your deep water start to keep the handle as close to your hips as you initially sit-up. When you decide to plant your feet, keep your knees bent. Your legs look pretty straight. Feet in front of knees, knees in front of hips, hips in front of shoulders and arms straight. On your tumble up start, your legs are straight which means you have to use more effort spin around. Pull the handle close to one hip while your knees are curled and you are riding your lower back...then shift the handle from one hip to the next (across your stomach.Again keep the handle as close to your hips, curl up more and spin on your lower back. You will find that you spin with ease and will be facing forward. Keep those knees bent and arms straight at this point, ride your butt for a minute, take your time and plant your feet. Feet, knees, hips, shoulders arms straight. Practice on dry land. Good luck...you got it!
Barracuda Chick
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 2:41pm
Barracuda Chick has it nailed. You gotta ditch the death grip on the handle. Relaxt the arms, let out the handle.

As far as the face plant: if you water your face, it may grow back!!! LOL.

Nice job Mark! Sweet water too, where is that?
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 2:53pm
That's Lake Zoar in CT. I can usually find good water on the lake.

It'd be great to have a mini-reunion on. Skiing and footing. There's a sandbar too.
1978 Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 3:06pm
That's two mentions of handle to hip for the tumble start. After you roll onto your back, pull the handle into your belly buttom BEFORE doing anything. You need to get the handle down "in between" your hips before you start spinning. It is unnecessarily difficult to pull the handle in and spin at the same time.

Shoulders over your hips over your feet, practice this stance on dryland or in the boat with the handle on the pylon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 3:24pm
Be careful because if you position shoulders over your hip and hips over your feet you will be standing to straight and slightly forward which will lead to a face plant. Your feet should be pushing ahead of your knees and knees slightly together to prevent unnecessary water. Dryland dryland dryland. Attach a handle to a door knob if you do not have anyone to assist you. Slowly work through each step and body position.
Barracuda Chick
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Barracuda Chick Barracuda Chick wrote:

Be careful because if you position shoulders over your hip and hips over your feet you will be standing to straight and slightly forward which will lead to a face plant.

You can still bend your ankles and knees in this position with an angled \ safe stance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 3:45pm
A boom is more forgiving than long line. You may be able to get away with your shoulders over your hips and hips over feet on a boom. But long line, you need to focus on your body position...feet in front of knees slightly, knees in front of hips and hips in front of shoulders and arms straight...remember...it is not that you are lying back, these are slight.
Barracuda Chick
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2008 at 3:58pm
We are saying the same thing. If your feet are in front of your hips and your hips are in front of your shoulders you can still draw a straight line betwen the 3 points, and I'm not saying that line is supposed to be vertical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 152>
  Share Topic