Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 1:17am
Thanks Barracuda for the tip and the props. I am really hooked on barefooting.

I did go out last Sunday, but only got a short set and even fewer videos to show as the boat got over-run by wake skaters (ouch). I only attempted one toe hold and I crashed before I even let go.

I did get some sweet footage of a fun-run, though:

Fun Footin'

This was the water set up Sunday. It was glssier than this earlier. We were on our way back in:

Got Foot?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 4:49am
I laughed so hard I cried and nearly coughed out my lungs when I read:
"jdkenyon
Groupie
Twin Falls, ID

I can't imagine learning to foot and having a new driver at the same time. I am having enough trouble teaching my wife and I already know how to foot. I got tired of fighting with her so now she just shoves it down and backs off somewhere around 40 mph. I usually get up this way and she is happy we aren't fighting. At least I still get to foot."

THAT is some funny stuff!
I even decided to sign up after I quit laughing.
I am wondering what happened to k.o.?

I've never really heard of "a taco" either so it just made me hungry too...and reminds me of a photo in another thread on here showing the hooters girls in a BFN.
This is the life
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 9:01am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I am wondering what happened to k.o.?

i'm still alive never barefooted yet since i got more interested in slalom and beside no one want's to pull me 45mph haha fuel is expensive here. i know i will do this someday but don't know when
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 12:17pm
Andy, I love that Sanger you have and constantly amazed by the glass you guys seem to always find. Roy is lucky to foot with you guys, he's made HUGE progress. Obviously I like CCs more but Sangers are a close second!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 5:45pm

We got this boat from Siepels Barefoot school when he had the California School, It had over 3000 hours on it and we rebuilt the engine and put another 1000+ hours on it and sold it to some other guys who are still using it today.
I spent alot of time in this Barefoot Nautique, we lovingly called it a "Nautank"
I have only good to say about CC, however when it comes to a "barefoot wake" Sanger is the cream of the crop.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 6:03pm
K.O. -you do not need to go 45, 38 will work.

who's boom do you have? ECI? BFI? you can order a new clamp from the manufacturer, having the boom would be a great tool for you to help teach people getting up on anything, skis, boards, or feet. Booms are so much fun and so helpful for learning many watersports.

Roy has made a ton of progress and some of it can be attributed directly to this thread, he has paid attention to all of the comments and incorporated many ideas into his footing, it made it "easy" for us to teach him how to progress without getting hurt(too bad). have you seen him try the toehold? that ended with a nice faceplant..haha...he was OK and is learning to fall, which is an essential skill.

This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 6:43pm
I get new posts sent to my e-mail regarding this thread. I have been so busy the last 2 days I have not logged on to see the pictures. Once I read the "Sanger" crack I knew it had to be my footin' friend, Andy. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Not as singularly focused a BFC, but this gang has helped trouble-shoot my "Nautank" on many occaisions.

I do agree, I like the Sanger wake for footin'. Comes to slalom, my '01 Nautique is sweet as butter. Too bad I won't be slalom skiing much...ha-ha. Foot fever has struck!
Got Foot?
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 10:40pm
we'll se when io try this.. since i post this thread i lost weight and gain twice the amout i lost i think i weigh around 260 so that's why i figured 45.

if you were refering to my boom i have no idea what make it is only know it;s a barefoot boom with a homemade cable. i saw the clamps but i gave the whole boom away for 2 wakeboard lesson. the guy said he'll pick them up but still no show.

as soon as i do this i'll be sure to post a few pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 11:10pm
no worries, do it when you can, no hurry.
260...you are a bigboy, if you have big flat feet like 12 or 13's or bigger, flatter the better, if you've got high arches or size 8's...you're in trouble! little feet are not good skis for a bigboy, but get some shoeskis or barefoot trainers, you can have a blast on them no matter what size/type feet you have.
your best bet is to wait til the water is flat as can be...no wind...flattest water you can get...then try it.

we are all just jealous that you are in Aruba.
This is the life
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 10:49am
definatly have natural skis haha i wear size 14. i hope water are calm this wknd maybe i'll try it if the weather permits me for it pretty ungly weather this week. but still we can ski year round
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 1:18pm
Well I finally hit my first front toe-hold. Andy, Willie Farrell and I made a trek to private water: Diablo Shores. The day was epic. There was much footin' done.

First Front Toe Hold

Andy, a seasoned veteran, Willie Farrell and our host Jerry, both training for the World Barefoot Champs, were in the boat yesterday. Nice boat for a guy like me to be in.
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 2:40am
oops I have two idendities on here

bftskir and GlassSeeker

I am the same dude...guess I'll have to pick one and stick to it.

Lakeboys barefoot career has rocketed him right in with the West Coast Barefooters...He's skiing with William Farrell!

Here's a barefoot video that Andy Conway made and showed at an AWSA/ABC meeting in FL. showcasing barefooting

I get to share with a brief appearance(due to my tumble up start mostly!) the spotlight with Keith St Onge and William Farrell...Its pretty clear who is who.
Hot Rockin Feet 3

That wake is my old 2001 Sanger DXII 377 Scorpion Barefooter

the prettiest motor ever in a skiboat!
and backed by 377 horsepower pretty and potent!

This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 2:47am
As Nautique Fans, we are certainly driven by beauty. I think that is why we like Nautiques. I will have to give it to you GlassSeeker, that is one bad-ass looking motor you got in there.    

Beauty = Functional
Functional = Beauty.

It is the laws of nature.
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 2:55am
this is my "new" old boat...a 1990 Sanger DX that I added a plate to. we're down to 260 horses in a carbd 5.7 black engine...she pulls 40 or 41...the old 377 did 53 with 5 in the boat towing a 250lb footer and was used in the 2003 Nationals at Shortline in Elk Grove.

This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 3:15am
A very fine craft. Let's go rip a set instead of freakin' talking about it. Two feet, planted, 40 MPH...works for me.

Hey, let's rip one like the guy in these pictures!

Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 12:00am
that 245 foot line was fun
3 ropes
look at the slack in the rope and I'm doing a onefoot
This is the life
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 10:04pm
Tonight @8:30 eastern on the Discovery Channel there is a show called Time Warp. They are featuring barefooting. Should be cool to see it slowed down.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 11:35pm
I had a little fun making a video here of my "ascent" into barefooting.

Barefooting Hurts

It's fun, I hope you enjoy it...
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 11:48pm
Nice compilation Roy, I enjoyed that. As all footers know, that despite what it may look like to the untrained eye, that is all actually a lot of fun....well sort of. Nice synopsis of a good summer's work.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

As all footers know, that despite what it may look like to the untrained eye, that is all actually a lot of fun....well sort of.

Some days..more fun than others..always fun once you learn whatever it is you're trying.

Nice job putting the video together..some of you guys sure are talented on here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 1:42pm
Nice vid Roy. Lots of "plants" that will be on my list next summer
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Tonight @8:30 eastern on the Discovery Channel there is a show called Time Warp. They are featuring barefooting. Should be cool to see it slowed down.

Caught the re-run this past weekend.
It was pretty neat to see it in slow-mo, especially the turns. High quality slow motion video like that would be great instructional material.

Thanks for the tip MM.

-Brad
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Caught the re-run this past weekend.
It was pretty neat to see it in slow-mo, especially the turns. High quality slow motion video like that would be great instructional material.

Thanks for the tip MM.

-Brad

If anyone missed it, its on youtube. search anything like time warp barefooting.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 10:03pm
Thanks for the tip, that's some good video! Wish I had one of those cameras

Here's a direct link!

Time Warp Barefooting in Discovery Channel
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 10:51pm
Thanks for the link. That is some beautiful footage. Too bad the water was so rough. It would have been nicer to see the feet a bit more. Biggest surprise was the front to back. You really get a sense of the combination of forward movement and the rotation. At that slow speed, the move almost defies physics. No wonder it is a hard technique.

I have to say, I am glad they chose barefooting as a topic. Most people are so amazed when they see barefooting. Makes me wonder why we don't see too much of it.

75 Tique: thanks for the props. I am into my Winter work now: back deep start. Real close too. Film at eleven...LOL.
Got Foot?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 1:50am

Here you go Lakeboy....film at almost 11..

Thanks to backfoot100 for the camera work and the coaching..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 2:02am
Well it is supposed to be a short vid of me bacerds...why can't I make it work Larry?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 11:34am
jbear going bacerds

John, when the clip started out with you going forward, I thought maybe you were going to pull a 180. I guess thats this winters project

I think your posting problem was that you copied the image like you were posting a photo rather than the URL of the video, so you only got the image.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Most people are so amazed when they see barefooting. Makes me wonder why we don't see too much of it.

Footing seems to have a limited following. Back in the old days when I started, it was definitely a novelty, not many people at all did it. As the years went on, wakeboarding became the "x-game" water sport of choice over footin. I guess the "big-air" aspect of it makes it a better spectator sport. Barefooting made the x-games once or so, but then disappeared. I guess it was popular in limited circles, but I didnt see much of it in places I lived.

I'm glad there is a big footing interest among CCFaners. Has rekindled my interest in it and its a lot of fun seeing all the effort among members, whether its really advanced stuff or the just learning stuff. Leave the wakeboarding stuff to the PN guys. (nothing against PN or wakeboarding, just not my top interest. I have a young nephew who is a top notch rider, and its fun to watch him too.)

(I'm not dissing our wakeboarders either, I know your out there too, but it seems you lay pretty low around here.)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 5:51pm
Nice job there jbear

I think that what hurt barefootings growth was that most who try to teach it did not know how to teach it safely. the general thought was always...go fast, if that does not work, go faster. That resulted in alot of disillusioned injured potential footers turning away to wakeboarding or other towed watersports. Today we know speed is not the answer, proper position and slower speeds result in happier footers. I know an ex trick skier who can do all 4 barefoot turns (180's and 360's) at 31mph, he can foot longline at 19mph. we often see who can foot the slowest. (Dave was driving for me on a backdeep for the first time and I forgot to call a speed so after I got up I yelled at them 35,35,35...but they heard 25,25,25! I did a back to front at 25!
came in the boat and asked how fast was that? they told me 25, I said I was yelling 35! oh well.
barefooting is the most fun and enjoyable on smooth water, that's not always easily found on public waterways.
Anyway todays methods of teaching are very advanced, they help people get over the initial hump (learning curve) and on to the intermediate tricks where a whole new world awaits. Its funny how a tumbleturn thrown down on the boom is more impressive to the average spectator than a front to back longline!
Barefooting needs to concentrate on the things that make it fun to watch, even if that means doing the "lesser" tricks that have more spectator appeal.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents
Keep on footin!
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 152>
  Share Topic