Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6869707172 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 7:54pm
Not much skiing over here, but been watching tons of videos. WBC has a nice amount of good quality bf videos with good music.
Also been watching the BFC short bus program, I´m temted to go and get some intense course with Chuck!
In a week of footing they leave doing almost anytrick...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:05pm
check out the video on bfc called Soul Shakers, it has KSO and ADV skiing together and doing the sickest sideslides and bodyslides, and its funny too.

I'm sure you could learn alot at Chucks you might learn more at WBC???
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Chuck makes good wetsuits but I have zero interest in skiing with him, or ADV.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 2:41pm
Just saying, I guess if I had the oportunity to go somewhere in the US I rather try to hook up with some of you guys over there than going to a clinic!

This saturday we had a nice weather, around 65-70º, so I was out in the waters. Did some runs, no tricks just plain footing, some tumble starts, turns etc.
Again I need to do something else to keep in shape, I was able to foot around 15 minutes after I was totally exhausted.
I used to play tennis 2-3 times a week, and that kept me somehow fit. 4 month ago I fell from the bike and hurt my wrist and since then I haven´t played any tennis.
So other than skiing every 2 weeks or so, and some bike outings, haven´t done much sports lately....
fishslayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 2:59pm
what an awesome weekend, footing in the early morning, then salmon in mid day, (3 balls 32mph 15 off), then some wake boarding. Honestly wake boarding is really to slow for me. All before lunch time. I love my SN sport, all disciplines covered with one awesome boat. I sure had my son been there, we would have also wake surfed as the lake got choppy.
We all have the need for speed at some point in our lives.
fishslayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 3:00pm
what an awesome weekend, footing in the early morning, then salmon in mid day, (2 balls 32mph 15 off), then some wake boarding. Honestly wake boarding is really to slow for me. All before lunch time. I love my SN sport, all disciplines covered with one awesome boat. I sure had my son been there, we would have also wake surfed as the lake got choppy.
We all have the need for speed at some point in our lives.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Chuck makes good wetsuits but I have zero interest in skiing with him, or ADV.

Curious Hollywood...why the beef with Chuck?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 1:01am
Okay, finally got some video of my bacerds progress - here is the second to last run of my first set yesterday, on shoe ski's:

The last run of the first set

Got really sore from all the "out the back" falls...neck. I think I have some shots of my second set which is a little better, but can't seem to find it.

Next time, I am going to remember my neck brace, work on a little more lean away from the boat and keeping my hands to my butt, any other thoughts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 3:48am
neck brace CHECK

during the start as you come up bend at the waist more- leaving your upper body lower than your butt longer- pretty much til you reach the top speed you called, you have to resist the acceleration up to speed. Longline it is even more important to be patient and stay bent even longer, or suffer the consequences.

you will get pulled out the back by getting the shoulders up too high too soon, it makes you dig in and drives the heels into the water.
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 1:03pm
Andy, thanks! That is a great tip. I really felt the boat/boom really picking me up, it was tough to stay bent over. The skiing stuff here, was all at like 25 to 28 mph, so very, very slow - the whiplash is still bad even that slow. So that makes sense with getting the shoulders too high, so I will also work on staying in that Pike position longer, and the shoulder comment really drives home the need to keep the handle low to your butt.
JasonS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:19pm
I have a question for all you barefooters. When I learned in 96 on a boom, my toes would catch and I would faceplant at around 42 MPH. I decided real quick there had to be a better way to learn. I started pulling myself up on the boom pole before we started, and putting the pole under my arms. Once the boat was up to speed, I could turn my butt and plant my feet. If my toes dug in, my feet would kick out behind me and i would still have the pole under my arms. This way would keep me from rolling my eyelids back until I could get my feet and stance correct. My question is, why have I not seen anyone else do it this way. I am a very determined person and will learn at all cost. Was this way more difficult to learn?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:42am
more importantly, have you been able to keep your toes from catching? people do hang off the boom all the time.

a higher boom helps alot, you can hold on to it and not let go and learn to ski without catching your toes...just don't let go no matter what.(not recommended on low boom).

if you're really serious that you will "learn at all cost" then pay a pro for a lesson or go to a clinic so somebody can teach you properly.
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 2:27am
you can't beat learning from a pro, it's safe, you learn very quickly, and generally a ton of fun. I am glad in the investment everytime I do, and it has paid me back tenfold in progress.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 7:18pm
Just this weekend I finally got the glide position off the boom. In the past I've used other's booms and "hung on for dear life" on a higher boom. I can say that I learned nothing from that method.

I was using my 73 ski nautique with a boom. The boat is so narrow, that when I tried to hang onto the end of the boom, it would just pull the boom down to the water. This turned out to be a good thing, it forced me to start in a seated position closer to the boat. As the boat accelerated I would hop over the gunnel sraight to a three point butt glide, then work my way out to the end of the boom as the boat picked up speed. Once up to speed I would leave my arms straight and transfer my weight from my butt to my feet. If I tried to just horse myself out of the water with the boom, I would just pull the boom down, so it demanded better technique,(the driver was apretty good coach too, and made it clear what good solid position would look and feel like.)

All I can say is what a difference, much more relaxed, a hundred times more stable. I really think that with a few more passes I would have been on the handle.

No, No, No to "hanging on to a high boom!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

73 ski nautique with a boom. The boat is so narrow, that when I tried to hang onto the end of the boom, it would just pull the boom down to the water"

This is only because you have the boom mounted too low.

I see tons of video with people trying to learn with a level boom(old way) its more difficult, less productive, less fun than a higher boom.

we move our boom up down high low depending on what we are doing.

if you are not moving and changing the height of your boom I can guess its not right most of the time depending on what you are doing of course.
This is the life
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 10:11pm
The boom is adjustable, we adjusted it! The final position was chin level when I was in a good solid position. I'm just saying that I learned more in two passes where I HAD to be in a good position. Your results may vary!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 10:50pm
you should try it just above head high with bent knees and long arms.
(you are still going to have to be "in a good position")
since you got the feel of gliding last weekend, now do one foots until you have them without falling/catching , also best to learn to hop too, one foot stand ups- both sides, and then start to learn the handle by wrapping it up so its just 1 or 2 ft long, ski all the tricks you did on the boom diectly until you do them without falling or catching, then let it out to 3 ...til you got all 5 ft out.(which leads to a whole bunch of new tricks,starts, and longline)

once on the 5 ft that little bit higher (just over the head) boom helps alot. a lower boom will increase your chances of knee injury at this point in learning. you can lower it for tumbles, toeholds.

Its also very funny how what seems like a waste of time where you did not learn anything results in your later success...funny how that works

This is the life
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the tips, I'll work on those this weekend, I really do think the coaching helped the most. Prior to that, I did learn the death grip on the boom, and got pretty good a tumble ups due to number of times I did them. I should have spent all that time learning to go from my butt to my feet without pulling myself up on the boom! I would be curious to know how the barefoot schools teach a novice.

Much more fun this way!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:33am
novice starts in the swing nowadays
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 9:11pm
US Barefoot Nationals run Aug. 8-11, live streaming video!

The nation's top barefoot water ski athletes will be competing in the 35th annual Parson's Roofing Barefoot Water Ski National Championships, Aug. 8-11, at the Barefoot Ski Ranch in Waco, Texas. More than 100 athletes are expected to compete in the four-day tournament. The World Barefoot Center is planning live Web streaming of the Nationals at www.worldbarefootcenter.com.

This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 10:25pm
You going Andy?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 11:12pm
nope, I had pulled my hammy on Jan 5th it was black and blue and yellow from knee to butt, Hollywood was offended by the photo so I took it down :), I just re-injured it a couple weeks ago (just over the last few days its feeling much better and my back wakes are getting better than ever) so I was not really in condition to participate, I've been sidetracked by freestyle stuff for a while too, I might begin to put together a new trick run and if my wakes get better I'll probably compete in 2013 but only if I can bump up my PB's and if there is a late season tourney out here in CA I might go but my main reason/goal while barefooting is having fun first and foremost.   
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 11:17pm
I would love to spend the next few weeks at the Barefoot Ranch watching Nationals and Worlds but the funds and time are not available, I have to keep paying for all the ski gas I'm burning.
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2012 at 1:37am
Sounds like two CCF's get to ski with Brendan Paige this weekend before Worlds.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 1:13am
Big day today, found consistencies in my back deeps and managed a couple of good sets of backs. Here is one of the half lake runs, probably the best video.

I have to admit, this looks kind of boring and unexciting (the full lake pull videos are REALLY boring), but man is there a lot going in the head and with a lot of different muscles and body parts - WOW still about the most fun I have had behind a boat. Shout out to Lane Bowers and The Footers Edge!!! And Elaine Heller and the Blue Moo!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 2:46am
Great skiing. I did not find one second of it boring! I agree... Bacerds has to be one of my favorites as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 4:31am
Yep, nice backdeep, headzone works well to keep you doing exactly what you need to do, right when you need to do it. Nothing boring about it. Exactly what this thread is about!
This is the life
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 12:25pm
Steve impressive.

Is that Lane talking to you on the video??
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 2:51pm
Bill, Andy - I don't know from a pure video perspective, I still think it is AWFUL, however the technique finally fell into place and man did it feel good. Unfortunately, it is really hard to see what is happening at the start. I really need to rig up the GoPro right on the boom. I think that would really shed some light on to what is going on, that might be a big addition to the site.

Mark - Yep that is Lane "Dawg" Bowers, the Headzone is great, I just set up Lane with Voice activated microphone, because watching him try to work the throttle, steer the boat, press the PTT on the radio and watch the skier was like watching an organ master - HA! Your actually hearing his voice direct through the camera mic, nothing was patched in.

At any rate as Andy said, with the Headzone, the coach/instructor can give you real time immediate feedback, on the first couple of runs, it/he undoubtedly saved me from going out the back numerous times
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 3:01pm
Nice steve! Now i'm in need to follow your steps! I. Need to go footing asap! Almost a month wo going. Between the pump repair and also its been raining th elast 2 weeks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6869707172 152>
  Share Topic