Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6970717273 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 3:19pm
Willie just hosted a bbq (throw another shrimp on the barby)for the Australian Barefoot Team. They are here in California to prep for Worlds. Two of the guys tried a tandem naked run with a whip to the dock, yes they deeped up naked, one didn't make his start(water intrusion???) The guy who made it came whipping in, one hand on the handle, one hand on his junk. Then the other guy went back and did it over made his start and whipped in both hands on the handle...was pretty hilarious. A good time was had by all.
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 3:22pm
LMAO - That had to be hilarious!!!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Nice steve! Now i'm in need to follow your steps! I. Need to go footing asap! Almost a month wo going. Between the pump repair and also its been raining th elast 2 weeks.

Seb - looks like their are flights for around $1300 to Chicago, book it come up, and we'll make it happen!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 6:41pm
I did a LL forwards deep a few weeks ago in boardshorts and it was surprisingly not that bad. This was after several refreshments however.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I did a LL forwards deep a few weeks ago in boardshorts and it was surprisingly not that bad. This was after several refreshments however.

Are you sure it wasn't LOTS of refreshments, served in those silly little 1.5 oz glasses...

How can you not have ended up with what we lovingly refer to as a "Mississippi Enema"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 6:54pm
You caught me. It was actually a lot of a lot of different sizes. I did hike my shorts up and put them as far up as they would go before we took off. I'm sure eventually I'll try one totally bare.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 7:07pm
While at scarpas a few years ago Andy who was working for him at the time did a long line back deep naked (oh my ouch) then went back to front with one hand on handle and other covering his junk. He said the only way he would share the secret to it was if we tried it twice and could not get it. Cool trick but needless to say I never tried it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 7:18pm
I think backwards would be more pleasant than frontwards. There was/is a youtube of a LL back nekked.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 8:03pm

failed ll back deeps @ around minute 2 then back TH on the boom...

enema with style!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

failed ll back deeps @ around minute 2 then back TH on the boom...

enema with style!

Ahhh yes, and the video ends with a shot ski!   Gotta love the people that live in this crazy state!
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2012 at 8:44pm
More passes on the boom this weekend, tried a little one foot and made it to the (2 foot) handle. Lots of fun! Colin made it to the handle on his slalom ski.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2012 at 9:09pm
c'mon Gary..you know we love pics here!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 12:26am
The pics will be worth it, 80's neon pink and blue barefoot suit!

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 1:28am
finally after 2 week, the sun decided to come out! nice warm day, around 70º, nice for a winter day, huh?
got to meet with the new foointg partner. He arrived to buenos aires by early august, but he caught a flu that left him almost 10 days in bed.
So this was his firts outing..
We did a couple of passes, than he put the shoes and tried bacerds, nailed some, even almost did a back to front rotation...
I did some nice one foot both sides and a nice Front TH.
Also a nice clean dolphin start....
Then decide to give it a try on bacerds with the shoes...After 5-7 attemps i was nearly there. I was almost there so last attemp, finally got it! nice feeling looking back! then I even tried the 180 turn, which i nailed but I let go the handle.
Had the go pro mounted on the boom so there´s some nice footage. Need to edited it as is long. On the bacerds you can´t see much of the start as all the spray goes directly to the camera. But once out its a nice angle!
so a good day of footing!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2012 at 2:38am
Skied w/ a couple of CCF's and Brendan Paige before he headed down for World'd in Waco. Photos and video to follow.!!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2012 at 1:31am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

The pics will be worth it, 80's neon pink and blue barefoot suit!

pics...or it didn't happen.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 3:48pm
Hey Sebby:

Thanks for ringing my bell and getting me to drop in. Still footin' over here in the gorgeous Sacramento Valley. Still skiiing with Andy, Willie and the Sac Foot Posse. Bit more of a challenge this summer with work picking up and kids with lots of other activities. I had a bit of a personal setback having been diagnosed with arthritis in one of my hips. It was bothering me last Novemeber and thought it was a pulled muscle. Found out my hip is jack and will need a replacement hip when the pain gets too great and I have a spare 250,000 dollars. Can't do toeholds any more, but doesn't affect my footin otherwise.

Bright spot has been my daughter Julianne (8) who has been barefooting in the swing off the boom most of the summer. At a suggestion by David Small, I took her out of the swing, and pulled her up using a wakeboard. These are her first attempts with short rides. She can't wait to get out on the water again...

Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Okay, finally got some video of my bacerds progress - here is the second to last run of my first set yesterday, on shoe ski's:

Got really sore from all the "out the back" falls...neck. I think I have some shots of my second set which is a little better, but can't seem to find it.

Next time, I am going to remember my neck brace, work on a little more lean away from the boat and keeping my hands to my butt, any other thoughts?

Steve: Awesome, Bro! Andy mentioned you had been skiing backwards and posted some footage. Well done. Tips? Andy rightly pointed out to bend more. Fold like patio furniture he used to tell me... One thing that helped me was Don Mixon Jr. told me to "pooch" my butt out of the water. That is, put an arch in the lower back, like "pulling out when having sex.." Crude, I know, but it works. I still do it today, especially long line back deep. Second tip: Wille say right about the time you start coming off the water, head shoulders and all, put a bit more bend in the waist, try to get you chin close to the water. He also says this is a good time to clean up your position: get a little bend in the knees, bring your feet closer, handle check, looking out the back, check!

At minimum, of you keep your head down 2-4 seconds longer on you barefeet, you won't get blown out the back, I assure you that. patience! Your plane/plant are excellent!

On your shoe ski run I will offer this: your lean is fine. get the handle close to your butt, not by pulling on it, but by breaking at the waist a bit more, a bit more knee bend, and get your feet a bit more under you. I tell you this because I spent last Friday with David Small and he was into me on all those points.

Post your progress!
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 4:33pm
need to go footing today 85º for a winter day...
too bad I´m stucked @ the office...time for a smoke bomb, and disapear...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 4:46pm
POOF...gone skiin
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

POOF...gone skiin
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 4:50pm
Getting itchy feet myself. Getting to be the best time of year in the area: warm days with very low wind.

We skiing tomorrow Andy?
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 4:51pm
in reference to the bare naked skiing...

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:02pm
yes we are skiing.

I have some gopro video of a certain barefooter that I would like to
post but it was his top secret trick runs and killer wakes and I'm not sure he wants the competition to see it before they have to deal with him in person...but I will post it just not sure when.(huge tease)
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:12pm
OK Andy. POOF! I am gone.

Even though I am the boss of my company, I am always a bit sheepish walking out the front door to go rip a set on a warm Friday (or monday) (or Tuesday) afternoon while everyone else has their head down working. When I leave, I will make a mumbled, vieled reference to a "meeting". Yeah, a meeting of the foot freaks!!!
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

OK Andy. POOF! I am gone.

When I leave, I will make a mumbled, vieled reference to a "meeting". Yeah, a meeting of the foot freaks!!!

Kinda In the same situation..I feel your pain...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:27pm
Roy - thanks for the tips. As I started getting consistency last week, I noticed the whole chin on the water thing, its such a funny feeling to have the water knocking your chin...

We are headed out today, so I hope to get some more runs in, will try to get some vids too.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:41pm
Although some people push off with the chest and chin, to me it is more symbolic. It is a reminder to keep your head down until the water can support your weight = boat speed.

One thing that has helped my longline starts is "looking out the back." As soon as the boat takes off, start looking out the back. It is one of those things that doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is. It helps with balance, getting even pull on the handle, and keeping straight. Not to mention it helps you gauge the boat speed better and make your starts more consistent. Good habit to start now.
Got Foot?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

One thing that has helped my longline starts is "looking out the back." As soon as the boat takes off, start looking out the back. It is one of those things that doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is. It helps with balance, getting even pull on the handle, and keeping straight. Not to mention it helps you gauge the boat speed better and make your starts more consistent. Good habit to start now.

Probably will hold off a bit on the long line attempts, get a few more short rope successes, but that "looking out the back" thing is key. Those times where I forget to open my eyes while planing out, never end well. Cripes you wouldn't think it would be so hard to remember to open your eyes, but there is so much going on. And there also is so little you can see - a tunnel of water where pretty much all you see is your own rooster tail - kind of funny to see.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 6:32pm
The number one reason to fail on a back deep...Lack of Patience...
Handle locked to butt
Arms out long
Set legs, ankles/insteps on water GENTLY
Break at waist("fold like lawn furniture"-Lane Bowers)
Stay down, let butt go up(fold)feet are getting under you and coming together---Do Not Rush this step!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the timing is different on a longline opposed to the boom...so as soon as you can do them on the boom go longline too.(or your "inner clock" will run too fast and you will have a heck of a time)

As much as everyone hates to be dragged slowly face down (be required to plane) it is essential to your success at longline because you must drag further/longer before you can get up.

As your back deep improves you will get up very easily, you won't drag your chin...you will feel the first bumps and begin to press and when the last one hits your chest you bounce up onto your feet...easy peasy LOL
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 6970717273 152>
  Share Topic