Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

learning to barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 152>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

(Dave was driving for me on a backdeep for the first time and I forgot to call a speed so after I got up I yelled at them 35,35,35...but they heard 25,25,25! I did a back to front at 25!

Yeah, but arent you the one who does back deeps in your birthday suit allowing you to use the "tripod" stance and hence go slower?

Speaking of Will Farrell, which you occassionally do, Next time you see him, could you ask him something for me. I seem to recall that he lived in New Orleans at one time and came over to do some demo runs at a novice tourney I was at on the San Jacinto River outside of Houston. Ask him if that rings a bell. It was in the early 80s.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2008 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

Thanks for the tip, that's some good video! Wish I had one of those cameras

Here's a direct link!

Time Warp Barefooting in Discovery Channel

They mention this kid is ranked 5th in the world, calling BS on that one!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 12:28am
haha, Qnr, my money is on you. he's very good but not 5th...maybe "in his division"...the scores are on barefoot.org so are the world rankings(there are some typos in there).

he is a very good footer though in anybodies book.

I wish I could get my hands on that camera!
We could do some stuff with that thing. They only scratched the surface.

It's funny but it's not me. I will not and have not done any naked backdeeps. I am a big believer in the cup.
I wear goggles and a nose clip, do you think I wouldn't have a cup on? thats the first thing I put on.
I think they were Australians in that clip.

I'll ask Willie about San Jacinto River outta Houston early 80's...maybe skiing with him tomorrow.

That is how I first saw Willie. In Oakland 1980, off Doolittle/Coliseum, in the Oakland estuary. It was really windy and rough out in the main ski area so Willie went back in a skinny little drainage canal lined with litter and trash and he ran through some tricks and turns and then front wakes and then ripped a set of back wakes to everyones amazement. I thought it was pretty cool.
He is skiing very strongly and superclean going into The Worlds in New Zealand in Jan. I think he will do very well. Roy and I are lucky to get to ski with him(unless you have to drive for him!haha)
check out the video of him over on the barefootcentral site, he put on a nice display. He's 53...going to the worlds.
Even Siepels impressed.

http://www.barefootcentral.com/willie_ferrell_interview.htm

he mentions marine world in 1980 so I think thats the same time period we saw him across the bay in Oakland

This is the life
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2008 at 1:52am
Thanks Larry...you are right on how I tried to post it I guess I just figured that photobucket knew if it was a picture or a video.
Not so sure about the Fronts to Back...might be a while....Eddie showed an awful lot of patcience just to get me this far.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2008 at 7:58pm
75 Tique,

Roy took my place last week and went out and footed and drove for Willie.
I went out with him yesterday and I just drove, gave him some pulls to keep his practice levels up.

It was easy to remember the San Jacinto river question because Willie and I ski with another guy whos last name is Jacinto. Willie definitly remembers being down there on the San Jacinto, he moved to Calif in 85, to help run Siepels old barefoot school in Calif which opened in 84.
I did not know what to ask him to see if he remembered you in particular but he smiled when I brought up the whole thing.
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 10:46pm
Still learning to barefoot over here. Still going out with Andy (GlassSeeker) and Willie Farrell. We hit the water for a cold California set. Well cold here anyway. 48 deg water and 50 degree air. The sun was out at least.

Santa brought me video editing software, so this is my first effort at a produced video.

Roy's Toehold
Got Foot?
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 11:29pm
Nice one Roy! Good vid too.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 4:02am
Still footin! Willie Farrell has been training for the World Barefooting Champs in New Zealand and Andy (GlassSeeker) and I have been lucky enough to be on the boat.

Roy Winter Footset

Andy Winter Barefooting

Willie's Set

Enjoy!
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 4:01pm
Good clips Roy. Gotta like that one foot back deep that Andy rolled into, boy was that smooth. Admire your stretching the season out the way you did. Something about falling in cold water tho, why does it feel like youve just been attacked by 12,000 razor blades and needles? Youch...been there done that..has kind of lost its luster for this old timer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2009 at 6:11pm
Thank you for the kind words, thats my favorite trick, its a little tougher longline but not as photogenic.
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 8:57pm
Still footing over here guys. Weather has been unreal in California. Water cold, but still doable:

Roy's Still Footin'
Got Foot?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 12:44am
Roy, I've been following your videos from Andy over at barefoot.org, great stuff!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 2:09am
Hollywood, thanks for the props. I got in with an active footin' crew, the rest is just practice. Here is a compilation of me learning the one-foot stand up over the last couple weeks:

One Foot Stand Up
Got Foot?
Watercraftsales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 2:32pm
Lake boy,

To make it easier and more consistent, turn the handle down towards the foot you are going to stand up on. At the same time get your foot in, up by your butt it is too far a way from your video attempts. As you rock forward and your foot touches the water let the handle out (turned down to the foot in the water) and hold on with 90% of the pull coming from your upper hand. That will align your shoulders and keep the weight over your ski leg and then you won't have to set down right away.

I hope this helps! Happy footin

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 5:40pm
Watercraftsales: Thanks for the tip.
Got Foot?
Watercraftsales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 1:57pm
Lake Boy,

This helps a lot if you dry-land practice this stand up. If you have a lot of pull on the person holding the rope, then your foot isn't close enough. It really helps get the muscle memory dialed in.

Give us an update video!!

W.C.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 2:38am
Hey Guys, still skiing. Andy, Willie Farrell, and I hit the water last week after a 6 week break due to rain (I know..in CA too. Can you believe that) Anyway the water was up to 56 deg., which is not really cold in my book. Still used the dry suits, but could have used a wetsuit.

Starting to ski the back deep a bit, too now.

Roy Spring Footin'
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 4:16am
It's awesome there are so many footers out there contributing and lending advise. I just bought a 206 w/ the ZO6(409HP) motor for the "sole" purpose of footing. I'm sure once I shake the rust off this spring I'll be needing some help w. front to backs and a consistant back deep. I miss the bellow of the ol' 454 and can't wait to hear this thing crank up for the first time!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 4:07pm
I went through the entire post and I definetely have to give the footing a try...
I ski since i was 7-8 years old.. started with the pairs, then 1 ski.. and at the age of 17 i got my first wb a conelly razor blade... but never try hard on BF.. tryed eventually on the long line with the feet infront but after 3 or more tries I quitted... I even have a bf suit that my uncle bought in the 90`s.. I still have it fold in the attick.. I think i can use for 3 minutes before i get soffocated...
The thing is that I want to give the bf a serioud try this time... only some inconvienience here.. first water is never glass unless you get to the river by 8 am.. unlike with my family.. getting the wife out of the bed and having the kids ready takes me at least a couple of hours... I can go with frinds bet tha early hours are still a problem....
No boom
I only have the WB rope and handle full lenght is 70 feet? I can tied it to the transom tow ring to gain extra length?
The wb method i the one I'm looking forward but here is the next problem... you know argentines have the reputation of taking what its not theirs so if i eventually get on my feet i will have lost the board (in hands of by passers boaters out there) so im looking for an old boar to do this....
Well sorry for the long post there...
PD theres the history down here of a guy who got killed on an outboard mastercraft. He was bf on the boom when the cable that goes to the bow cutoff making the guy to hit his head to the hull.. anyone heard of similar accidents?

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 5:22pm
your best bet would be an old kneeboard to get up longline, stay close to what ever you drop and go right back to get it...here in California people go and pick it up all the time..."Hey look what I found!"...paint your name and phone number on whatever you use...we used to use skis from Barefoot International that said "Please leave me be a barefoot waterskier will be back for me"...they still would pick them up though so stay close, or go for the deep water start since you have a barefoot suit.

A quality boom will have 2 cables lessening the chances of snapping, death and injury are always a concern for barefooters. Be Careful Always.

Hollywood, I cannot get on barefoot.org's forum...maybe I've been banned from there too? anyway...the goggles we use are speedo ES-1 sports mask...they work best at not filling up on a backdeep, we also use bugz but they catch a bit more water especially on backdeeps. bugz offer 3 different lenses which is nice...bugz are about $25, the ES1's are $15 to $18 but I think speedo quit making them...bummer...they have a smoke lens or clear lens...we used to get them from Big5 sporting goods.
This is the life
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 5:38pm
Seb,

The kneeboard is the easiest way to start IMO, it also eliminates all that water up the nose that can come with a deep start.

Unless doing a deep start you can use almost any rope, if all you have is a 70' rope just start on the outside of the wake curl and stay there, if you have a section or two, run your WB rope off those to add some length.

One other thing is be sure there is no debris in the water where you are going to foot, IIRC you ski on a river, if similar to the rivers here, some can be debris filled particularly after any heavy rainfall.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2009 at 11:16pm
It sounds like it might be worth the effort to get out early in the morning. First of all the calm water will make learning much easier. Second, you may have less other boats to worry about picking up your wakeboard or kneeboard after you've made your start.

Another suggestion is to run the rope off the extended pylon I see in your avatar. The upward pull will help you out a little bit when barefooting. Most barefooters use them or towers for a higher pull than the regular pylon or the tow rings will give.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 3:02pm
Quinner you are right about debris on the river... lots of fallen trees, weeds and floating plants... and sometimes even big logs that eventually get hitted buy props
They are hard to the feet I guess....

I tested yesterday the bf suit and I felt like a sausage, i needed someone helping me to get it out... it also has some holes in the neoprene due to the age of it....
It was dry tested but wet I think its going to work better.

Will report back with the experience....and hopelly with some video or pics...

and K.O. did you give it a try yet?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 3:16pm
Get comfortable riding the kneeboard or wakeboard around a bit at various speeds. Unless you're used to the ass abuse (not naming names), it will feel awkward. Naturally you will want to be back on the board but that will cause lots of bouncing, you'll eventually be able to sit more forward on it but with a reclined lean. No need to go WOT immediately.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 3:35pm
I dont have a knee board handy so, I was thinking on using a wb (in that case should i take the bindings?) or and old 6.2" surf board?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 4:10pm
Like HW said the kneeboard is pretty weight sensitive and bounces easily- something with a little more length helps that. We have one of the early compression molded surfboard style wakeboards that works pretty good. Removing the bindings is the way to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 4:21pm
yeah take off the bindings and use the wakeboard, you can lay your legs on the front to keep it from bouncing, sit in/on the middle to the back 1/3...it will take a little practice just to do this then go up to about 33-36 and bend knees bring feet to the sides of the board put feet in with toes up but not super "heel heavy" and simply stand up, keep shoulders back, let arms out straight as you stand up.
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 6:23pm
Only concern is the board hitting my ankles when letting it go....

bouncing was always the problem when trying to do deep starts... I could get out to the water but inmediately i started bouncing so hard I had to let go the handle...
Thanks for all the tipss here. I hope I can use them this WE
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 6:29pm
There was this german chick training with Scarpa when I was there. She was using the wakeboard start method. I noticed they had the edges of the board wrapped with duct tape. I'm sure a slam to the ankle is going to hurt, shouldn't break the skin though. Keep the board gently squeezed between your legs/ankles while you are doing the 3-point glide.

I am tempted to put together a video this year of all the basic starts methods I've seen and can do. Might not actually help anyone but could be comforting just to visualize.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2009 at 6:30pm
I asked about the bindigs cause sitting in the middle of them could prevent the board from sliding back... and thats how a friend here used to learn and then hitted his ankles with the board when realising itthats why I asked....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 152>
  Share Topic