Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop needed for 1968 Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop needed for 1968 Correct Craft
    Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:33am
I have a 1968 Correct Craft. I recently had my boat serviced. Tonight I put her in for a quick spin, and the prop fell off. The engine is a 318 and a 1" shaft. Any idea on what kind of prop I need to purchase. I should have written down what was on it.

Please help as the weekend is fast approaching and I want to be back on the water. Any idea what this will cost?

Thanks!!
It's All Good II
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:50am
ricko... What model is your 68? I can only guess, but probably a 12" dia. Pitch in the 13-14 range.. RH rotation.

Got any pics of your boat? btw, welcome!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 2:56am
I look forward to this site. What would be the best way to send a picture?

My boat is a Barracuda.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 3:02am
Most guys use Photobucket. Here is a link to a post on how to use it.

Btw, I have a 66 cuda....how long you had yours?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 3:07am
I bought it last summer. It is a beauty, the guy who owned it before me did a complete restoration. The only reason I took it to get serviced was to make sure everything was OK. I have had more problems in the last 2 weeks.

The boat runs great (with prop) and looks brand new. I absolutely am hooked and now want one from each decade. My wife thinks I am crazy. Hey I am only 37, I got time.

I will send you a pic.
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 3:45am
Here she is.

It's All Good II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 8:45am
ricko,

Well, if your wife thinks you're crazy then we all must be on this site! So, welcome to CCfan that's full of crazys! Great looking Barracuda.

Hopefully the person who serviced your boat didn't have anything to do with the prop. If so, then maybe he's one of those new so called "technicians"! Fill us in on the prop story and we'll be able to help with the pitfalls of getting the prop onto its taper properly.

Steve (62wood) is right on regarding the prop size. You will want to look for a Michigan Wheel prop for general use. At this time, I wouldn't go experimenting with props. Take a look at one of our sponsors sites delta prop. They may have a used/reconditioned 12x13 or 12x14. They do show up on ebay too.

BTW, you're not allowed to pull tubes with that boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 4:51pm
Hey Ricko,
Welcome to the site.. I heard about all kinds of bad things with the 68' Barracudas. Especially red hulled ones.. Best just let me take it off your hands now, so I can save you many prop orders....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

straylight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by ricko1 ricko1 wrote:

Here she is...

beautiful boat:)
Congratulations!

Tom
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, you're not allowed to pull tubes with that boat!

why's that?

Tom
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 7:51pm
pete hates tubes and doesn't want anyone pulling them i think espacially from classic boats that's what i learned from lurking all these months
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

pete hates tubes and doesn't want anyone pulling them i think espacially from classic boats that's what i learned from lurking all these months

ah, okay...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 8:55pm
"the courteous tuber"

Also check out feelgoodM.D.'s signature line. It's quoted in the thread.

Tom, most here are skiers or boarders who use their talents and skills rather than waisting it on a brainless activity! Don't take this wrong as I really don't care what you do except when it affects others so if you do tube, please consider other people who want to use the lake too.

I do love the boat. My first was a 70 Cuda with the Holman Moody. Same red hull as yours. I wish I still had it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 9:11pm
Wow. Thanks for all the help. Good news bad news kind of day. The good news is that I found my prop today over at Delta Propeller. Bad news is that the nut will not be in until tomorrow. Another day without a boat.

I did talk to the people that worked on my boat. As expected, they never touched the prop. Funny how it doesn't idle worth a darn after the tune up. I wonder if they touched that (lol).

I tried to pick up a nut from a couple other places with no luck. But at the end of the day, It's All Good.

Any ideas on where I could get a Correct Craft Flag for the Bow, and I also need the letters for down the side. Let me know.

Out!!
It's All Good II
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 9:16pm
Hey, I wanted to let you all know. The picture above of my boat, that was taken in my back yard. I live on the Great Miami River north of Cincinnati. I have a dock and ramp on my property. There are only 2 types of boats out here, pontoons (booo) and inboards (yeah!!). So far, there is only one other boat out here that can outrun me, to bad his prop didn't fall off (just kidding).

It is like a trip back in time being on the River. Got about a 2 mile stretch to open her up. It really is a blast.

k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 9:16pm
so pete probably should not tell you that we just got a tube haha
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 9:22pm
My daughters cried this morning when I told them the news. He broke there heart. I didn't know I was breaking Correct Craft Protocol by pulling them on a tube.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

so pete probably should not tell you that we just got a tube haha

So you traded away your barefoot boom and bought a tube instead... sounds like a step in the wrong direction!
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 9:42pm
haha no i'm not that dumb i traded my boom for wake board lessons since i tought i never gonna use the boom anyways i guess it was a bad trade haha. i got the tube from my father's boss with 5 more life vest so no more tickets from the coast guard
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 9:53pm
Ricko, I should have mentioned it when I provided the Delta prop link - they would have had the nut!

What letters down the side?? There weren't any unless you are thinking of the small CC tags at the stern.

Heres your pennant:A&A

When you put the new prop on, Keep in mind that it is the taper holding it on and not the nut. fit the prop without the key first. Mark the forward edge of the prop. Put it back on with the key and make sure the prop goes forward to the mark you made on the shaft. The most common mistake is people will get the key in skewed which prevents the prop from going fully forward and seating on the taper. Tighten the nut and install the cotter pin if you are using a castelated nut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 10:55pm
I haven't chimed in in quite a while but when I saw the sister boat of my '68 I just
had to post a pic - me, the boat, and the grand-baby.

Pay no attention as to how the boat is listing to starboard.
For some reason it has always done that.

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 11:17pm
The prop is sitting there with the key. I put the key at 12:00 position. The nut was the wrong size. Gary at the Delta Prop said it may be that I need a brass nut. The stainless one he sold me has the wrong grooves. Any idea on this?

What a 68. Very nice boat. I like the Blue.
It's All Good II
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 11:21pm
pBrainard. I said letters, I meant emblems. After they repainted the boat, they did not put the Correct Craft Emblems on the port and starboard aft. I would like to find some nice chrome ones.

Thanks for the help on the nut. I am actually getting worried about not finding the right nut for my boat. Any suggestions? The boat has a 1" tapered shaft. The nut should be 3/4. But the one I got was to course? I am not an expert on this. I just really love driving the boat!!
It's All Good II
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2008 at 11:28pm

Ricko, I should have mentioned it when I provided the Delta prop link - they would have had the nut!

What letters down the side?? There weren't any unless you are thinking of the small CC tags at the stern.

Heres your pennant:A&A

When you put the new prop on, Keep in mind that it is the taper holding it on and not the nut. fit the prop without the key first. Mark the forward edge of the prop. Put it back on with the key and make sure the prop goes forward to the mark you made on the shaft. The most common mistake is people will get the key in skewed which prevents the prop from going fully forward and seating on the taper. Tighten the nut and install the cotter pin if you are using a castelated nut.

Next stupid Ricko question. How should I attach the flag. Is there something that goes out on the bow. There currently is not a place for a flag. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

I appreciate kindness as I am the new guy here.

Out!!
It's All Good II
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 2:19am
ricko,
Some bow lights have a hole in them for a burgee staff... like the one on my 64 American Skier. My 'cudas dont have that, so you may need to get a stand-alone type staff and socket.

btw,JIH.. good to see you back on... whats new down your way?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
ricko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 2:30am
Not much. I really wanted to get my boat fixed prior to vacation. Of course with my love for boats, I am taking a 7 day cruise. The only way to go. I leave on Saturday. I am going to have someone pick up my boat and get this prop nut deal taken care of while I am away so I can get back in the water when I get home. One of my greatest joys, is taking a cruise on my boat. I love to see people's faces when they see it go by. I feel as though I own a peice of history.

Any way, I will look for a staff and socket. I an American Flag from the Aft, and would like one on the bow. I appreciate your advice.

Bon Voyage!!
It's All Good II
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straylight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 4:37am

"the courteous tuber"

Also check out feelgoodM.D.'s signature line. It's quoted in the thread.

Tom, most here are skiers or boarders who use their talents and skills rather than waisting it on a brainless activity! Don't take this wrong as I really don't care what you do except when it affects others so if you do tube, please consider other people who want to use the lake too.

Pete, no worries please ;) I actually thought there was some strange kind of law or watever that prohibits tubing behind that boat because it was popably missing something... whatever... Stupid me

I have to ride (wakeboard) on a canal which gets really crowded with speedboats, tubers and banana rodeos on sunny weekends and the water (from 9am to 6pm) looks like north shore hawaii. I really enjoy serious silly tubing in those times when nobody could think of wakeboarding or skiing anymore. When all those people drank all their beer an finally manage to find the way back to the harbour - then it is boarding time :)

On this canal all of these people have the right to do what ever they want, if it is within the laws... I don't care, they are just having their kind of fun.
Tom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 7:45am
Ricko, If your 68 doesn't have the bow light with the hole in it like Steve mentioned then it may be a year they weren't used, someone changed out the bow light or CC is well known for hardware inconsistencies. I'll have to take a look through the diaries to see if I can spot any bow lights. Don't go putting a socket on the deck - that's my "keep it original" comment for the day!!

The chrome emblems are a tough one! They are very rare. There has been lots of talk about reproducing them but so far nothing. They do come up but go for big bucks! I even think people have bought complete old hulls just to get the emblems!!

Your prop shaft should be a 3/4-10 thread. Look at it closely to make sure the threads aren't screwed up. I highly recommend a brass nut ether nylon locking type or castelated. Stainless to stainless can gall against itself and lock up. I had to cut the stainless one off my Tique last summer and then find a die to chase the threads on the shaft. It wasn't fun!! A simple 20 minute prop change turned into a 5 hour project. Skidim sells the brass and any marina with inboards around will have them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 12:11pm
Thanks 62 Wood. It's been an incredibly bad year for weather and boating down on the bayou in Texas. Heavy rain up north makes it's way down south to the bayou and the water gets nasty (muddy and full of trash) - no one wants to get in it. The 68 has been hung up and not used very much. One interesting technical observation though (sorry to hijack the thread) - Since I replaced the old 4v Holley and cast iron intake with a new 4v Holley and Edelbrock aluminum intake I now need more prop. The old 289 over-revs. I guess that's a good thing.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2008 at 3:58pm
Ricko, I took a look at the diaries and did find one good picture of the bow light with the pennant and staff. It's on a 67.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic