NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 16>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water behind a stringer
    Posted: September-10-2012 at 6:47pm
DrCC,

The platform is great. Don't see anything lacking in performance, nor durability. I had it all cleaned up a couple years ago and it looked awesome. Now it looks like a regular old swimdeck.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2012 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

But then, when Pete started gettin pervy, I thought I had better jump into action and re-focus on the platform.

Al,
I didn't get "pervey", all I did was compliment Mike on his attractive wife. His only problem with her is she's into horses and that takes up too much of Mike's time. Horse's VS: boats??? Boats VS: wife?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2012 at 3:32pm
Hey, Sorry about the confusion John.
I knew that Slayer would "get-it"
But then, when Pete started gettin pervy, I thought I had better jump into action and re-focus on the platform.

It, (platform) is a far cry from any of my other crowning acheivements. That's the reason it was sold to Rodney for material costs only. But it does look good in photos.
Didn't build the one on the '67.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 6:11pm
Hey John,

The previous owner bought the platform from DrCC and installed it, or had it installed. I would have to guess early to mid 2000's as I think I bought the boat in early 2008.
I have one on my 67 Nautique too, but do not know where that came from. Was that you also, DrCC ?

All inboards should have them.

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 3:42am
confused...did someone on here build you the platform Mike? Mine is really bad and I sure don't have the skills to do a new one but I can write checks!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 12:16am
Yeah you did, Rodney, that I bought the boat from told me that. I am of the opinion that all inboard ski boats should have them.

I picked her up the first time at a podunk police station. In like 1984 I think. Keeping her around is where my many talents come in.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 11:34pm
2nd half ?    You mean the Platform ?   Yeah, I built that!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 11:28pm

I didn't build the boat Pete.

I know you didn't build the boat!! I'm talking about Mike's fantastic 2nd half!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 11:21pm
I didn't build the boat Pete.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 11:10pm

Wow Slayer!   Where did you get that AMAZING looking swim platform ???

I'm wondering where he picked up his amazing looking counterpart! Al, don't worry about the boat!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 10:47pm
Wow Slayer!   Where did you get that AMAZING looking swim platform ???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 1:17pm
I did not replace the primary stringers in the Pony. I thought they were in good shape and as it was my first go around, I was pretty nervous, and talked myself out of doing them. It was just as much work to not do them.

In the 67SN I did after this I cut out arches, if you will, for drains, and CPES, and resined them good prior to installation, IIRC, I had a layer of 8 oz. glass on the drains prior to bedding the stringers.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 4:52pm
Boat is looking Great !!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 4:25pm
With out having to read all the posts,I think Mike forgot to drill them before he put them in or decided later that he needed them there. You really want to do it before so you get a good coating of cpes,mat and resin on
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Old hose was in terrible shape, and I suspect was leaking a little. It was starting to come apart in layers. Mine was glassed in a bit too, but it wasn't that bad to get out. I cleaned the glass up a bit around it afterwards.

On the drains, I winged it. I looked for what appeared to be the lowest point still in the bilge and accessible for the front. Just eyeballed the rearward ones. I figured if an exhaust pipe ever cuts loose on me that would be a good point to drain water from. Drilled from the inside slightly angling upwards with a 15/16" spade bit. The wood that I went through was like new.

SO you drill the drain holes after glassing in the new stringers?

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 2:44pm
Mrs Wakeslayer chose to be chauffered that day. I cannot say I minded at all.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:24pm
Nice!! It looks very sharp..
did you let your wife take the wheel? as Its her boat!!!
LOL
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 1:08pm
Very nice!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 12:28pm
Wow! Looks like it just came from the factory!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 11:50am
Beautiful boat. Looks great!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2010 at 11:23am
Some actual on the water shots.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 3:32pm
I actually just got some decent on the water pics a couple days ago, will try to post tonight. Been busy with some farm projects lately. I am in the middle of re-siding our horse shelter. A sorely neglected building that Mrs. Wakeslayer has had above the boats on the honey-do list for years. It was time to make good on my previously empty promises to tackle it. I am half done as of this evening and hope to be done by next weekend.
The Mustang is looking and running great, with the exception of a trans leak still....

thanks !!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2010 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I just wanted to see these pictures again. Great job! Any updates? That engine looks great and I love the windshield!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 2:05pm
Thanks Chris. Will do the adjustments Thursday and report back.   
My cable support bracket is Mickey Mouse. It is just a 90* piece of aluminum with a notch in it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 1:15pm
disconnect the throttle cable then adjust the carb and re-check the timing too. once that is done loOsen the clamp holding the cable on the back of the bracket and slide the cable forward until it lines up and then tighten the clamp back down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 1:52am
Gary,

He had suggested possibly needing one prior to me doing the seal, but we thought the shaft looked good.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 1:19am
I had a leaker too Mike,way before CCF existed so I had no help. I ended up using a Speedy Sleeve and has held up well.I think Eric has said they are ok to use too. It will buy you some time before you have to send it to him
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 12:50am
So, upon further review.....

I still have small leak in the front of the trans. This pisses me off. I am guessing I have a little pitting in the shaft or something as the seal was replaced this winter when I had the motor out. I checked my hose fittings, they no longer have any fluid on them. I checked the fluid level after warming it up, it is right where it is supposed to be. Also, my dirty neutral I thought had improved is pretty much where it left off last year. It seemed better the first couple times I had it out. My alignment is good, too. I guess I will pull it next winter, maybe. I already have one trans I want to have Eric work on, I would rather it not be two at once.

I also reset the timing to 10* at Billy's suggestion. I had it at 12*. I tested the total advance and it is 29-30*. Adjusting that down a tad also seems to have rid the engine of a slight stumble if I hit the throttle pretty hard from idle in gear. Thanks Doc.
I did not have a gps on me, but she ran out at 4500-4600rpms and felt pretty quick.

It idles at about 750-800rpms. I am having a hard time reducing the idle with the screw because either my return spring is too weak, or I need to bend the cable bracket back a hair. If I press on the linkage or the bracket it will drop. I probably should adjust the carb a bit, but i am a bit sketchy there. Any suggestions?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 6:58pm
Not where I needed it!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 12:00pm
46!Holy crap Mike,you must have more insulation than me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 16>
  Share Topic