NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 16>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Great to hear Donovan !!
Yeah, seriously dude, at 14, mine is like an alien sometimes. She is a great kid!

This is where the boats come in handy. Dad pays for the gas & everyone has a great time. Worth every cent I spend on the boat just to get that focused time together.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
72 ski antique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 8:13pm
Not sure how this forum thing works, so bear with me here gang.
I have a 72 Ski Nautique. I know the stringers have only dust inside at this point.
I am familiar with fiberglass work primarily from my old Navy days repairing the fiberglass small boats on my ship.
Why can't I cut the top of my stringers off and use the existing skeleton as the form to lay up and strengthen the glass that is what's left of the old stringers? I'm not talkin' filling the box full, but forming a new thicker, stronger box. No wood no rot.
I know you may tell me where to go, but I would like to learn more about the error of my thinking.
I appreciate words of wisdom, random opinion and links to information.
Thanks!
Ski Antique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 8:27pm
72 Ski - I think this group of guys prefer to stay with the tried & true design of a Douglas fir core, laminated with Epoxy fiberglass. Check out Joe-in-NY's Coosa board stringers. He put alot of research into that design. Others have talked about using Seacast material but I am not sure anyone actually followed through on that.

Keep us informed of your plans - we love to kibitz!

Pictures are always welcome.

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 10:14pm
Randy,
If you feel comfortable with calculating out the modulus of material flexure between the original Doug Fir and the epoxy/glass to give you the needed equivalent, I encourage you to move forward.

The Doug Fir is the "tried and true" plus with careful sealing with CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) and then epoxy/glass it will be there I'd say 5 to 10 times as long as the factory job. The factory jobs at best were on the sloppy side and used the polyester resin which is hygroscopic. (epoxy isn't!) Plus, they made no efforts to seal attachment holes into the wood with a excellent sealer like 3M 5200. Joe (JoeinNY) is a good example and the only one I know of here that built "outside the box"!!

Even though I could run through the modulus calculations, I'd still stick with the wood. Must be the wood boat person in me!!!!

Welcome to the site if you just found us or even if you've be around for awhile and just started to post.

How about some pictures and some more info on the boat. Have you had it for awhile? Which engine? Original?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2009 at 10:29pm
[QUOTE=8122pbrainard] Randy,
it will be there I'd say 5 to 10 times as long as the factory job.QUOTE]

Pete - I think Eric has mentioned this . . . after guys put their heart & soul into a stringer job, they don't let it sit outside uncovered & fill up with rain!

Ben Franklin
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2009 at 11:32pm
I got a bunch of mostly fun little stuff done this weekend. After Wednesday I am off the boat for 10 days. Going to my cabin in North Idaho for a few days of fun winter stuff and then headed to Astor to hang with all the CCFan's for a nice weekend on the water.

I have my kickboard all cut, epoxied, drilled out and carpeted. Heater is installed, bilge pump installed, stereo stuff run. the windshield, as much as I hate it, is back on, and a few other miscellaneous projects done.

Firstly, this next photo is for the Boat Nurse as she gave me a hard time about the crappy return spring I had on the engine after reinstalling: You were right, Karen!

Next is the engine with the heater hoses hooked up, and the cables rerouted behind the pulleys.

Lastly, the new dash with the windshield re-installed. Sans steering wheel and helm.

That is about it until mid Feb when I get back. Then I will have all my new exhaust parts, get that in. put down the floor, carpet the floor, and finish this God-forsaken project finally. My last official act will be to hang a new flag.

I am currently at 248 hours and about 410 beers.

Mike,   mountainbound, then sunshinebound !
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 1:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe (JoeinNY) is a good example and the only one I know of here that built "outside the box"!!

I believe BJ went all composite on "Ski Antique"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 10:22am
mike, that is 1.8 beers an hour...not bad

really 248 hours? at 50.00 per hour hour at 12k....without materials lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Joe (JoeinNY) is a good example and the only one I know of here that built "outside the box"!!

I believe BJ went all composite on "Ski Antique"

Kevin,
Thanks for reminding me. My memory must be getting real bad - I even commented on the composites strength as well as the use of poly resin in the thread!!

Here's BJ's (hasbeenskier) project: BJ's composite stringers

BJ,
How about a update on the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 3:59pm
Thanks to all for your responses regarding stringer alternatives.
I don't mean to take away from the Wake Slayer's project/progress evolution. Great work by the way. Heavy on the "work" part.
Clearly, I have no references for calculating the flex modulus of a "ho" made stringer. Maybe it would be too flexible or a nice hot mixture of resin is too brittle for the job.
In any case, the boat will stay in the garage when not on the lake.
The prop shaft alignment appears to be very good, however, I'm nervous about the strength of the motor mounts bolted to hollow stringers. Probably the only reason I worry about the strings at all.
What other bad thing can happen beside gross engine missalignment if the stringers are bad?
Thanks again for all the feedback.
Ski Antique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2009 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by 72 ski antique 72 ski antique wrote:

The prop shaft alignment appears to be very good, however, I'm nervous about the strength of the motor mounts bolted to hollow stringers. Probably the only reason I worry about the strings at all.
What other bad thing can happen beside gross engine missalignment if the stringers are bad?
Thanks again for all the feedback.

Have you separated the coupling halves and checked the alignment? If so, did you at the same time check the strut to the shaft log alignment? Sometimes people will overlook that.

Bad misalignment puts stress on the tail end of the trans and will damage it. Eric can fill in the details on the internals. If run long enough, it will also fret the coupling bore and prop shaft. The coupling is shrunk to fit so depending on how long it's run, you may need a new coupling half and prop shaft.

The hardest to fix problem bad stringers will cause is gel coat cracking/checking due to the added stress on the hull.

I asked before but still curious as to what engine you have. Any pictures yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2009 at 1:50am
Talked with a guy at a long time correct craft dealer today who had used seacast and was a big fan of it. He had a left over chunk of it and it was hard as a brick. I definitely think it would hold up. He said he used a bucket and a half on a tique a while back. He thought 2 buckets would get it for a nautique.

Im still going the traditional route, but just some food for thought since there was some conversation about stringer alternatives.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 6:45pm
Thanks for more info!
Sorry no pics yet.
The boat was repowered. I was told it had a Ford 305. It now has a Waukesha 351 Ford (Cleveland big block). That engine, me at 225 and another adult puts the bow about 4 inched out of the water at idle! The wakeboarders love my wake. I love the sound and power.
I just googled seacast. I guess that's where I was headed when I started this conversation. I'm not a purist, relative to repairs. However, performance is important. I want it to last and not weigh a ton, so as not to prohibit my weigh!
Appreciate candid opinions on seacast or the like.
Ski Antique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 6:52pm
Lewy figured the weight of seacast spmewhere in the pumpkin patch...heavy!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Lewy figured the weight of seacast spmewhere in the pumpkin patch...heavy!

And expensive plus "hard as a brick" in my mind isn't the greatest. Yes, the marina's love it because they can drill a hole in the top of a stringer say at a engine mount and do the "quick and dirty" with very little labor. I want to see some specs on the stuff - IE modulus figures!

Greg,
Have you been taking spelling lessons from Chris?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 10:43pm

Greg,
Have you been taking spelling lessons from Chris?

2 points

Someone should be watching our gov't so closely...

And we should know tomorrow if I need the Atom for a parts barge.   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2009 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

And we should know tomorrow if I need the Atom for a parts barge.   

From what I hear, it sounds like you have got it figured out!! I really admire your perseverance!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2009 at 10:23am

From what I hear, it sounds like you have got it figured out!! I really admire your perseverance!

Perserverance in this case is spelled A-M-Y, and she wants to go for a boat ride!   LOL

And what have yall been feeding to the grapevine?!!?      
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 12:23am
Greg: Talked to the boat dr this afternoon and he seems to feel as tho we will see the pumpkin at the St Johns...hope so!

john

ps: Don't you ever answer your phone?
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2009 at 9:55am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

ps: Don't you ever answer your phone?

Try this # 770-536-2328
1988 BFN-sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 7:53pm
Jbear, I just looked at your boat. Very, very nice. Is that basic hull the same as my 72?
Lake Wales caught my eye. My mother is at Lilly Lake in Frostproof. I trust you have motored your craft to the Cherry Pocket - very cool place!
Anyway, to all - I'm turning my hat around and beginning to think that wood may be the way to go. So, that leads to the next question.... If my current stringers are basically hollow, toast, powder...how can I form new ones without a pattern? I have not really looked inside, it's still too cold in the garage, but I can't imagine there is anything left of the old stringers to use for a pattern. Am I exaggerating?
Ski Antique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 10:08pm
Randy,
Before you even start ripping things out, begin measuring the existing. Measure every time you open up a new section of floor. Figure there's about 1/8" of glass on the wood. The most critical dimensions will be the main stringers around the engine. Mark the hull sides with reference height elevations. Cut the stingers over width and scribe/cut them to the shape of the hull. Oh, take plenty of pictures as you are tearing out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 1:41am
Randy: Have been down to Lilly Lake many times. Residents there are great donors to our organization..The Care Center. Very nice place. Very clean and well kept up. Bet your Mom enjoys it there. If she ever needs anything you give me an e-mail.
Thanks for the "props" on the looks of the boat. To be honest...those are the PO's pictures from when I bought it. It does not look quite that nice now...graphics show the wear of being stored outside in the Florida weather.
Cherry Pocket...our favorite place to take visitors. Pictures of us there with HW and Carolyn, Rob and Dena, Eddie and JoAnn. Always take people there. Great food, drinks ambiance and usually a gator or two swiming up to the deck. Good crowd too. Cracker fishermen who live there at the camp, blue hairs,and bikers.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 1:58am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

mike, that is 1.8 beers an hour...not bad

really 248 hours? at 50.00 per hour hour at 12k....without materials lol

Just got back from vaca in the mountains.

Serenity !!

Umm, yeah, 248 hours. And I was thinking I would bill higher than $50 per hour.... Seems completely ridiculous, but what else am I going to do during the winter....

Leaving for Astor Thursday. One extreme to the other.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 2:38pm
Mike's 248 hours have me nervous. However, the 1.8 beers per, provides some comfort.

John, Thanks for the response. If I et down there in March, it would be fun to see your boat or have a beer at the Pocket.

Pete,
Please tell me more about "Cut the stingers over width". Do you mean make the new ones wider than the old? I think I can handle the scribe process. Perhaps that's what you meant when you said over width.!? Room to take away and end up the right height and width?
Let me know.

Mike's estimate of 248 hours has me nervous. However, the 1.8 beers per, makes me comfortable again!
Thanks to all

Randy Combs
Ski Antique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2009 at 2:44pm

Pete,
Please tell me more about "Cut the stingers over width". Do you mean make the new ones wider than the old? I think I can handle the scribe process. Perhaps that's what you meant when you said over width.!? Room to take away and end up the right height and width?
Let me know.

Randy Combs

Randy, Yes, I think you have got it! I said "width" of the stringer which is really the height as it sits in the boat. The extra is for what you will scribe and then cut off the bottom to match the angle and curvature of the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 4:37pm
Thanks Pete. How sbout the wood? Certainly not some #2 white pine 2x8 filled with knots!
Any particular sources? Besides the forest....
Ski Antique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 5:04pm

Thanks Pete. How sbout the wood? Certainly not some #2 white pine 2x8 filled with knots!
Any particular sources? Besides the forest....

We're lucky here in the upper midwest than it's still relatively easy to find Doug Fir. However, not in the lesser widths (2x8? and 2x6). You may end up having to get a 2x12 and make two stringers from it. A few small solid tight knots in the center of a stringer won't hurt anything.

Edit: For tose in areas where Doug Fir isn't readily available, I just thought of a decent alternate: LVL Microlam! Available in 5.5, 7.25, 9.25, and larger widths. They are however 1.75" thick. Lots of CPES on the edges and it would make great stringers. Not that much heavier ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 5:38pm

Edit: For tose in areas where Doug Fir isn't readily available, I just thought of a decent alternate: LVL Microlam! Available in 5.5, 7.25, 9.25, and larger widths. They are however 1.75" thick. Lots of CPES on the edges and it would make great stringers. Not that much heavier ether.

Pete, Ive played with microlams back when I worked construction. From what I remember, that stuff was HARD! I would think it would be a bear to shape, no?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, Ive played with microlams back when I worked construction. From what I remember, that stuff was HARD! I would think it would be a bear to shape, no?

Tim,
They really aren't that bad because they are made from Doug Fir veneer. It really thick plywood! Slightly harder only because of the glue used. Now, whether you're cutting out stringers from plain 2x's or microlams, a decent band saw and a hand held power planer does come in handy.

With the difficulty getting Doug Fir in some areas, plus the junk we are seeing lately called "lumber", I'm really surprised that I as well as others haven't though of it before. It's really a decent product. I don't know how much more the expense would be.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 16>
  Share Topic