NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 50>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 9:48am
If you go Hemi this may be worth a look,he has other parts as well.

Marine Hot Rockers
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:06am
I missed the beginning of this discussion but was wondering if this is the same Hurricane as the one listed at Woodies Restorations? (link below I hope) He lists it as the last one, so I was not sure if it is the same boat. If not, his is shown with a Grey V8 (is it Gray or Grey? I see it both ways!) Looks like the V8-188 model that came in my Atom.

Hurricane for sale

You have to scroll down about half way through the list to find it.
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:15am
Sorry, I should have looked closer at the pictures and compared the hull numbers. Great find and I can't wait to see some progress pictures!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:44am
Brian,
It is the same boat that's listed in Woodies. In fact, not only is it the last one, it may be the only one!! Mr. Ralph (Meloon) didn't even remember the boat!!!
The Gray (it's a "a"!) is the 327 225HP but I've got a feeling I have Alan convinced to look for a 331 Hemi which is one of the engines listed as being available (no ACBS point deduction - plus the Alan fun factor!!!)

The "find" actually started in this thread: Hurricane in Alabama

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 12:04pm
One of the members who knows J-Bear has a complete 327 gray in his Garage,
Dan/CC he lives in Streetsboro Ohio,
J-bear will chime in, it was on a stand and a spare I Believe
"the things you own will start to own you"
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:17pm
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:30pm
Thanks Pete. Not sure how I missed the first string on this boat. I remember seeing that add in the Rudder, the Woodies listing, and the one listed here in the diaries. I just never put them all together as the same boat. The 331 would be a great motor in that boat! Almost as fun as the 327 in my 14' Atom! If the fuel prices stay low, a trip to your side of the country with the finished product in 2010 would be fun!
I will keep my ears open here for a motor option. We have several here in the NW ACBS with some great collections of vintage power!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:41pm
Andy,
Alan's better off looking for a marine version rather than the automotive. The rotation is the same as the automotive because in the marine it's a flywheel forward however, the oil pan it going to be different. First, it's cast rather than stamped steel plus it's sump is shaped with the mounting angle in a boat in mind. I don't know for sure if the 331 is cammed different than the automotive but there is a good chance it is. Many of the marines back then were cammed for higher mid range torques than their car counterparts. One nice thing about the Marine with it being a flywheel forward, (same rotation) is some of the internals are the same making it easier to find parts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:54pm
there was also a listing for a marine engine in WA but it was removed as they do not allow outside links (CL, EPay, ETC..) Ive sent that guy a message. We'll see...
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

One of the members who knows J-Bear has a complete 327 gray in his Garage,
Dan/CC he lives in Streetsboro Ohio,
J-bear will chime in, it was on a stand and a spare I Believe

Right you are eric...hopefully Dan will notice this thread. His name here is 93/70ccpb I think. He was on a couple weeks ago telling us about his Dad's '80 that burned up in storage in Medina. Skied a long time with the Dad, Gene.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 7:04pm
Alan, I can't wait to see the photos as you restore the Hurricane. This must be the only one like it left ??? That is great that you got it. Congratulations !!! Mike
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2008 at 9:57am
J-Bear, burned in Medina? next to one of those trailer park Meth Labs?
Do you remember the Thompson Dealer in Medina? this guy sold a ton of new boats with no titles, and boogied south......I knew I knew you from somewhere
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 2:39am
Not sure exactly where eric....thought it was Medina. Whole place burned up...lots of boats and collector cars.

What's a "Thompson Dealer"?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 11:52pm
Guys name is Craig VanSant of Vans Rod Shop. He sent pics of the motor. Says he's now useing the block and Im assuming heads. Says hes got the crank, cam, intake and carbs left over. I would guess the front parts are there as well. His # is 425-387-0393.
Ill forward the pics to you guys if you want em.
Email me at Spridle@comcast.net
Andy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 7:22am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

What's a "Thompson Dealer"?
john

John,
I think Eric's talking about Thompson boat. Now that's taking me back a few years!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 9:56am
Andy and others, thanks for keeping a heads up on a hemi for me but I will admit I'm not actively looking to repower the boat right now. After studying the boat for a few weeks and doing some reading I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove and refasten all the hull planking not just the bottom so I'm thinking it will be upside down for two winters. Power is a long ways away but it's fun looking.

See you in Green Lake 2012
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 10:53pm
Just surfin...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 2:49pm
Here's an interesting 413 wedge on ebay...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 10:30pm
24 original hours?? - I can't quite make out the hour meter but looks like 1214 to me.

Must be pretty common to lie about hours, was same thing on the San Juan yesterday!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 11:53pm
Chris, click on the picture in the ad to enlarge it. The Hobb's reads 24.4
But who's to say it hasn't been rolled forward. Hobb's meters will keep running as long as they have a 12V supply.   
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 5:19pm
Allan,

Holy ***************......... wow.....hell yea......

just got back on the site and man did you ever hit it big......Man i love those lines of that boat!! B E A utiful!!

Nobody better to have that boat than you!!

I know you will make it like the day it came from the factory!

Cant wait to see it!

paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 1:32am
Where you been Paul...busy interviewing a new "crew"?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 8:55am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Where you been Paul...busy interviewing a new "crew"?

john

Paul,
Hopefully you haven't been spending all your time on a MC site!

It started back at the end of October here: Hurricane in Alabama

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 9:37am
Yup....I try to "interview" every chance i get!(if you know what i mean)

Pete, Jbear.....hope all is good with you guys and everyone else!

paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2009 at 5:38pm
Worth a look at this the engines could be scrap think you may need to check the rotation, also has other parts for sale and the old boat in the background looks interesting.

331 marine hemi 1950's

Old Boat and hemi manifolds from the same place

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2009 at 4:34pm
Man, what a great weekend this has been. First I got to meet CCFan member and fellow Classic owner Clarkebar (Eric Clarke) on Saturday morning, and then Alan and Dana showed up Saturday afternoon. And even more exciting was the massive piece of marine power history stuffed securely in the bed of the F-250! Holy mackeral, that thing is huge and a site to see! Alan will have to provide the rest of the details once he gets back home, as they just left at 7:00 this morning.

We did a bit of boating, site seeing, 8-man deepwater barefoot pull behind my Mustang (naw,... I made that part up), and in general had a great time with some fantastic weather and friends. Alan even took the time to adjust Ruch's carb and change out the alternator on his Shamrock center console inboard. Ruch's now the happiest non-Correct Craft owning boater I know.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2009 at 5:06pm
Can you say "HEMI"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 1:57am
Before I post pictures of the new motor I need to say a few thanks for the crew that made this happen. As usual there's always more than one ccfan set of hands in my projects and for that I am eternally grateful.

The story starts with an email from Tim Benjamin back in June about a hemi he found on craigslist. The add read 1955 331 Hemi from a Correct Craft called a Hurricane. Too good to be true I thought and it took a long time to put a deal together. Pete Brainard agreed it was the correct engine for the boat so we got serious about it. For a while I didn't think it was going to happen but we finally agreed on a price and he was to throw in a bunch of parts that I was either missing or needed better pieces for the restoration.

Next came the logistics of getting it home since it was 1200 miles away. While talking to Reid about getting it home we thought we'd get BJ(hasbeenskiers) thoughts on it since he was about an hour away. Well BJ stepped up big time and offered to close the deal, pick the motor up and store it in his garage until I could get down.

We headed out last weekend and arrived at BJ's friday night in the most awesome truck I've ever driven. Unbeleivably, Todd Weitekamp offered us the use of his F250, yes your going to put 2500 miles on it, so what, put the hammer down and go. With the help of BJ's neighbor Michael we loaded her up and then sat down for some fantastic ribeyes and few beers on the dock with Charlotte and BJ.

We then shot the breeze for quite a few hours talking about skiing in the 70's and 80's like we'd known each other for years.

To break up the trip we finally got to stop in at the Pinkhams in NC and what else can you say about that.

The gang approves!!!

We got treated to a evening boat ride over to the neighbors for a "low country boil" which for us New Englanders is like a clam boil using shrimp instead of steamers. Delicious.   More great people and a fantastic time cruising the lake and sight seeing. Also some much needed sleep.

Finally home, got it unloaded and into the garage with again more help from neighbors and their toys.

What would we do without the people we've met and friends we've made on CCFan. Thanks to everyone that helped out, you have no idea how thankful Dana and I are to call you our friends
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 2:01am
WOW!!! Talk about a well preserved piece. Some boat called a "hurricane". Just wow.
My Blue 82SOLD!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2009 at 2:12am
WOW Alan, it even looks in great shape.Look out Opel, here he comes! Did you get any story as to why it was pulled out? Congrats on a great find.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 50>
  Share Topic