NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3839404142 50>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

10 minutes in the steam box made it do whatever I wanted.

Might work on the new dog too...

As usual...the first place I look on Sunday night.

john

BTW: nice job Joel.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 11:22pm
I really fought with the curved bow strips last week. I'm using 1/4" hydrotek Meranti marine plywood which is very stiff and didn't want to bend for me.

So I decided to remove everything I did last week and cut and install intermediate frame members attached at the stem and chine so I'd have something to use for leverage. The original build method used floating strips as intermediates and they really didn't support anything. My plywood would bend at the main frames but flatten out between them, I had a very segmented shape that just didn't like. I think my problem is because I'm using plywood and the original was mahogony planking and was probably steam bent.

I decided to try steaming the plywood and see what it would do. That was the trick, I didn't soak it beacuse I didn't want to ruin it but 10 minutes in the steam box made it do whatever I wanted.

So the starboard side is completely attached and the port side has the full sheets on, I'll try to get the strips fitted after work and installed by the weekend. As usual the second side should go twice as fast as the first.

Hopefully by the time I get to the topsides I've figured out how to be a little neater with the 5200.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 10:53pm
Looking good Joel, I think we should break that room in with another Octoberfest this fall.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 4:08pm
I thought I'd sneak this in before Alan posts his sure-to-be-impressive update. I was definitely thinking of his project while I re-did my dining room ceiling and beam facade in T & G knotty pine. Not nearly impressive, but somewhat on topic!

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2010 at 11:07pm
The boat is looking good. The Bible says envy is a sin. I'm doomed.
bj
hasbeenskier
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2010 at 11:05pm
That Dana's a thinker... and you know I love the dog too.
bj
hasbeenskier
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2010 at 12:46am
Alan....at the rate you are going, I think you will be taking that boat to Green Lake THIS year!! Looking good!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2010 at 12:41am
Hope he don't chew up the couch---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 11:12pm

Look's like Lenny is saying: "Dude don't take a photo".
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 10:46pm
Alan, how many things have you ended up wearing around your neck all day ??
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 10:20pm
Had a pretty good laugh yesterday with our new dog "Lenny". He can't seem to stay out of trouble and likes to chew up shoes, well this time he got ahold of one of Dana's. She was mad and I thought that dog was a goner when she seemed to give in and said "If he wants it that bad he can have it...all day"

Confused, I looked outside and

he wore that thing until bedtime. Don't mess with the boss!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2010 at 10:13pm
Started fitting and installing the plywood inner bottom and transom. Made good progress until I got to the bow curved area. Took a little while to figure out the best way to fit the strips to the curvature. Had some trouble laying the strips on a 45 angle so I went to a 60 degree angle and cut the strips at 5" wide instead of 6", that seemed to be the trick.

I got some dry fitted then stopped to cpes everything. Permanently installed the transom plywood and the rear 2 sheets on the bottom today.

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 1:47am
I also look forward to Sunday night when Alan shows what he has done. Great work Alan !! Keep it up . Cant wait to see the finished product.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2010 at 12:41am
I hate seeing the weekend come to an end,but I look foward to see what Alan has got done every week!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 11:16pm
Alan, I too enjoy your photos of your work and can't wait to see the boat in action back on the lake !!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 10:58pm

Just think....... back when this boat was built, they had a work crew.

And now it's one man doing what he loves.

Very fine work Alan, and thank you for sharing the ride in photo's.

I will say it again, "This is the best thread in my book".

Dave     
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 10:44pm

Found a great supplier up in Michigan called LL Johnson that is a full service sawmill. They provided me with some beautiful looking 15' long planks and resawed down to 3/8" for me.

Nothing like a wood supplier named "Johnson", and the best part is they are Up North, LOL.

Alan, project looks amazing, not that any of us would expect anything else from you, keep up the GREAT work!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 10:06pm
Took Saturday off this week and made a road trip to pick up the hydrotek marine ply and mahogany planking for the bottom. Found a great supplier up in Michigan called LL Johnson that is a full service sawmill. They provided me with some beautiful looking 15' long planks and resawed down to 3/8" for me. Best of all they shipped the lumber down to their South Bend Indiana location that's about 10 minutes from Rob and Dena Leinen's so that saved us about 5 hours total driving and we got to spend a day hanging.

Back to work Sunday. I finished fitting up the spray rails and chines then moved on to fairing(evening) out the bottom preparing for plywood. Fairing was quite a chore as I noticed earlier in the week when fitting the chines that the original hull was lopsided by about 3/8" from one side to the other. The side frame members were actually cut that way from day one. In essence the boat was taller on one side than the other. I ended up having to feather in one side of the boat from 3/8" at the transom down to nothing about 6 feet in to get the boat symetrical. Came out fine but took half a day to get done.

Put a coat of CPES on everything and quit for the day. I think the next few weeks will start to really show the progress being made as there is so much prep work building up to installing the bottom that it seems like I've been at this point for a month. I know otherwise but it will be exciting to see it start to get closed up.

Used a power plane to cut the beveled spray rails. A little tedious but worked out fine.

Using the open chine as a template for glue up worked out fine, the five strips glued up hold the curve perfectly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 11:08pm

Very nice indeed Alan..
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:21pm
I know things can be frustrating at times, I've done a bit of fitting, and no woodworker ever has enough clamps; but I bet you're having a blast. Thumbs up sir!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2010 at 9:14pm
Lots of work done this weekend, Got 2 layers of the stem cap glued up. Cut, fitted and predrilled the keel cap. Got both chines glued up and shaped and fitted the starboard side. Took several hours to fit the chine but the port side will be pretty easy now that I got one side done. Thats how most of everything on the boat goes, first takes four times longer than it should, lots of test fitting.

stem and keel complete, starboard chine glued up

The chines are 3/4 x 2- 1/4" and were originally scarfed together but the joint was visible through the bottom paint. I decided to use 2 pieces of 3/8" stock and epoxy them together so I would have one continuos piece the entire length of the boat. I also put the exposed joint towards the front so it will be covered by the forward spray rail later.

Here's one side fitted and temporarily fastened, the other side glued up. Biggest problem this weekend was lack of clamps. I have 30 and could use double that.

In between glue ups I cut all my intermediate frames and started ripping the material for the forward spray rails so I can glue them up some night this week. Even though I won't need them for another year I'm going to make them up now so I can use the open chines for a glue up template, that way they'll be curved perfectly and will just bolt on later. Once those are done and shaped I'll remove everything, Cpes it and fasten permanently
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 10:26am
there has to be somewhere on that boat that i could weld
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I have a weird feeling that Correct Craft may want this one back when your done Alan.

Ha, they couldnt afford it!!!

They couldn't even handle the boats collected at SECC and that was when times were even better!
Yes they'd want it - for nothing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I have a weird feeling that Correct Craft may want this one back when your done Alan.

Ha, they couldnt afford it!!!

Alan, Ive got absolutely nothing to contribute, other than to say that youre doing a top notch job. Preserving the history while improving on the methods and materials... carry on!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 8:47pm
I have a weird feeling that Correct Craft may want this one back when your done Alan. Thanks for ALL the great pics and updates my friend. Keep up the GREAT work!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 7:53pm
New transom frames installed, I ended up replacing the main center frame, and the 2 auxilary frames. The bottom frame came out super, it retained the curve perfectly and bolted right in after shaping it.

Next step is to fit and install the stem , keel and chine caps.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 10:00pm

Off to the boat show.

I hope you stopped at our booth or maybe even put some time in manning it. With so many companies downsizing their booths or even not participating, the management gave us a rather large area. I understand it's like 50 by over 200!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2010 at 7:27pm
Todays progress, I spent a few nights this week laminating the stock for the new bottom transom frame. I used 4 pieces of 1/4" white oak and laminated using the existing as a form.

Took the better part of a day to get everything fitted but it's ready for Cpes tonight

Then stripped the transom and prepped it for install tomorrow

Off to the boat show.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 4:30pm
Looking good Alan!

She looks even better flipped the "right" way

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 2:36pm
Very awesome !! if I ever have a wooden Correct Craft that needs help I am calling you !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3839404142 50>
  Share Topic