NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 50>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 4:08pm
I thought I'd sneak this in before Alan posts his sure-to-be-impressive update. I was definitely thinking of his project while I re-did my dining room ceiling and beam facade in T & G knotty pine. Not nearly impressive, but somewhat on topic!

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 10:53pm
Looking good Joel, I think we should break that room in with another Octoberfest this fall.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 11:22pm
I really fought with the curved bow strips last week. I'm using 1/4" hydrotek Meranti marine plywood which is very stiff and didn't want to bend for me.

So I decided to remove everything I did last week and cut and install intermediate frame members attached at the stem and chine so I'd have something to use for leverage. The original build method used floating strips as intermediates and they really didn't support anything. My plywood would bend at the main frames but flatten out between them, I had a very segmented shape that just didn't like. I think my problem is because I'm using plywood and the original was mahogony planking and was probably steam bent.

I decided to try steaming the plywood and see what it would do. That was the trick, I didn't soak it beacuse I didn't want to ruin it but 10 minutes in the steam box made it do whatever I wanted.

So the starboard side is completely attached and the port side has the full sheets on, I'll try to get the strips fitted after work and installed by the weekend. As usual the second side should go twice as fast as the first.

Hopefully by the time I get to the topsides I've figured out how to be a little neater with the 5200.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2010 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

10 minutes in the steam box made it do whatever I wanted.

Might work on the new dog too...

As usual...the first place I look on Sunday night.

john

BTW: nice job Joel.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 2:49am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Looking good Joel, I think we should break that room in with another Octoberfest this fall.

Agreed!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2010 at 9:20am
Alan,
I'm glad the steam worked out. Now when you get to the planking you'll have some steam experience behind you.

Joel,
The T&G looks great. Now you can do some of the same up north!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 3:04am
Been waiting all evening for my Sunday night update...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2010 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Been waiting all evening for my Sunday night update...

john

Sorry about that John

This weekend was the same as last just the opposite side, the bottom is completely closed with the inner layer of plywood. I am very pleased with the way it turned out, I removed all the temporary screws and nothing moved, that 5200 is amazing. Another milestone reached so there is a good deal of satisfaction at this point.

Spent some time ripping down planking for next weekend, setting up the clamping bracing and building a larger steam box.

There's that white stuff again!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2010 at 12:54am
Pictures inside the garage look awesome...I am always impressed.

Pictures outside the garage look very scary.

Sure missed ya this weekend.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 9:38pm
Well this weekend was another one of those "learning Sessions" I did manage to get 4 strakes of one side of the bottom steamed, bent and temp fastened. Not a bad days work and I feel it came out pretty good so I spent the rest of the day prepping for next weekend. I milled a straight edge on most of my boards and ripped them down for the next session.

Here's a couple of shots of the clamping setup and the rest of the days results.

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 9:49pm
Awesome! You should be well pleased.
bj
hasbeenskier
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 10:38pm
Nice work. Well beyond reach of my tools, and out of sight from my skills. I hope I'll be a fortunate to take a ride in that boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 11:37pm
Alan,

Looks good. Seeing your rigging reminded me of this rig from a guy building a new boat on the Glen-L site.

3-15-04
Built a frame around the boat in order to cold-mold 16' mahogany planks to the hull (Tried stapling on the bottom but did not like it. Holes do not close even even after not water.)

Only God knows how much patience you have to have in order to do this... I disasswmble half of the frame for every plank in order to prepare (sand and clean) a place for the next one.

He ended up with a pretty nice final product.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 9:14pm
Impressive project Larry, I managed to get mine done with just 3 clamping stations and once I got the hang of steam bending really only needed 2. I guess with cold molding he didn't have the benefit of screws like I did. Kudos to a job well done but I would not have the patience for that.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 9:32pm
Now as I suspected this weekends work was so much easier than last week. I really figured out the steam bending and got very proficient with clamping the pieces up within 30 seconds of taking them out of the steam box. A 2 day soak and 30 minutes in the steamer made the planking so pliable it was actually an enjoyable day. Lots of progress to show, I managed to take a day off of work friday so I put in about 18 hours in 2 days and the bottom is all dry fitted and ready for the next step.

Also learned another trick, one of the things that I was having a hard time with was leaving a 1/16" gap in my planking. This is for the 5200 to ooze out and create a nice seal, it was actually easier to fit everything tight than it was to leave a consistant gap. What I learned was instead of waiting for the wood to dry out overnight and fitting it the next day I tried fitting it right after cooling. By doing that it shrunk back while drying and gave me my spacing. Sort of discovered that by accident but it is a neat trick and allowed me to get much more done in one day. I really believe the factory steamed these boards without soaking so they could just bend, fasten and go to the next board without waiting for the wood to dry.

Anyway here are this weekends pictures, I'm getting so close to my goal of finishing the bottom before skiing season now I can taste it. I figure another month to cpes, permamently install the bottom, famowood the screw holes, fair and final cpes before I quit for the summer. Enjoy, I sure am.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 9:40pm
coming along nicely gheppeto
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:06pm
Nice saw! I borrowed the Bosch version of that basic tool for my ceiling and loved it. I've gotta get me a sliding miter one of these days.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:17pm
All I can say is......WOW.

And...what am I gonna look forward to tomoorrow night now that I've seen this weekends masterpiece?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:23pm

And...what am I gonna look forward to tomoorrow night john

Is Patti gone for the weekend?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:45pm
Uhhhhh no...she's in the other room on her wireless...why...got any suggestions?

Remember....we are married going over 34 years!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 10:35am
Alan, you're having way too much fun. Have it now though before they put regulations on it!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 11:17am

Uhhhhh no...she's in the other room on her wireless...why...got any suggestions?

Remember....we are married going over 34 years!

john

Sorry John, I forgot how long we've been married!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 1:26pm
Alan, looks like a job well done . Looking forward to seeing it in person .   My question is , are you going to have all that saw dust and wood chips cleaned up by Halloween?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 3:12am
Peep.
My Blue 82SOLD!
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 1:15pm
Yeah, time for an update Alan!

Mike N

1968 Mustang

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 11:53pm

Alan,

Very nice with the time frame. You must be working at night.....hehe
or very late weekends..

Great job.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2010 at 11:54pm
Ok, Been a little busy with other pesky things like work so the past few weekends haven't been that fruitful but here's where we're at.

One side done and the other all CPes'd and ready to be screwed down.

And finally both sides installed. 36 tubes of rubber and 2100 screws and I have the carpel tunnel to prove it! towards the end of first day my hands cramped to the point where I couldn't squeeze the caulking gun anymore. I had to break down and buy a pnuematic gun, best $35 I've ever spent.

Started roughing in the shape, My goal is to get the bottom shaped, faired , holes filled, and then Cpes'd this weekend.

We'll see where I go from there but this would be my first winters goal and considering all the extra work that was required to get to this point I'll be happy to put it aside for a little while. I will say I'm a little burnt out on it right now so it's time to change gears, too much of a good thing . I'll probably spend some time over the summer preparing mechanical items and I hope to fire up the Hemi soon and see what we've got there. Enjoy and thanks for the encouragement.
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 12:08am
I always wondered why anyone would need a pneumatic caulking gun.
you certainly do, and now I know. beautiful work by the way.
Between Sanitys project and yours I have been pretty entertained and also cured from taking on any more projects than what I have going on normally.
You guys keep up the good work.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 11:06am
Looks great Alan!!! I am always amazed to read your updates on this project. I hear you on the burn out too. I was more than glad to switch projects for a while.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2010 at 11:17am
Alan,

WOW.....Talent!!!! Pure Talent!!!

Looks Great....Can i have a ride in that thing at Green Lake? You could charge admission for rides in that thing!!!! AWESOME!!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 50>
  Share Topic