NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 50>
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 1:54pm
Ohhhhhhhhhh okay got it!

Aluminum oxide
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 12:38pm
Well?   Have you covered her up for the summer? Or are you running three shifts making T-Shirts?
Hey To Dana!
bj
hasbeenskier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 2:12am
I hope you guys are busy enough to run 3 shifts.

But I too miss my Sunday night "fix".

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by hasbeenskier hasbeenskier wrote:

Well?   Have you covered her up for the summer? Or are you running three shifts making T-Shirts?
Hey To Dana!
bj

Well she's not covered up but we're not running 3 shifts either. I took a much needed break and then work did come on pretty strong so I haven't touched it since my last update. Also been insanely busy around the house and yard this spring but I think I'm almost in the clear on that!

I did position and test install the strut yesterday and I also made a test stand for the engine. I started getting the Hemi ready to fire up and am having fun learning about it. I've read the manual on that engine twice from cover to cover, it really is quite a piece of marine engineering history.

I've also decided to get some bottom paint on the hull and flip it back over so that will be done as soon as I can find a couple of weekends. After looking at the progress made over the winter I felt prety good but I then made a checklist of what needs to happen next and man there's a lot of work left to do.

Anyway, thanks for checking up on me BJ/John.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 5:29pm
Here's the test stand I'm in the process of putting together for the Hemi. We retired an old embroidery machine at the shop and the frame was just screaming to be put to good use. A sawzall, welder and an afternoon and I can now roll the 1100 lb motor around the garage pretty esily.

I need to setup a few gauges, wiring and finish the cooling hoses and I should be able to fire it up.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 5:39pm
Last week I set the strut position and Saturday with the use of a borrowed tool from Pete B I got the shaft hole drilled. It lined up within an 1/8" of the existing hole in the inner keel so I was pretty happy with that. I have been dreading this process but Pete's rig made it a pretty easy job.

All the running gear fits up good with the exception of the 14" props that came with the boat. The boat had major prop rash and a homemade rash guard on it before I pulled it apart. The 14" props explain that as there is only about an 1/4" of clearance. Luckily I have a good assortment of 13" props around.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 5:51pm
Also got 4 coats of Interlux Barrier coat on. The final coat has been sanded and is ready for the color unfortunetly I got shut down because of thunderstorms this afternoon. Some of these coatings are very sensitive to moisture and I was pushing it simply with the amount of humidity in the air, the rain put an end to that completely. Finish coat will be Petit Easypoxy in Jade Green. Should be done with that next weekend.

Thought it sort of fitting to be working on something so uniquely American on Memorial Day, had to throw in the last picture.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 6:33pm
Alan, that boat is an absolute work of art! That Hemi is a beast.
Looking forward to the day that I can meet you and see that boat in person.
Nice Memorial Day picture, thanks!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 9:28pm
As usual Alan nice work. That bottom looks so nice it's too bad you needed to paint it!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 10:00pm
Very inspirational.....i'm going to have a few beers and sit with my Chris Craft tonight
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2010 at 11:55pm
Very Very Cool !!
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 12:06am
as always, I am impressed.
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 1:16am
You are doing a great job Alan. I am really enjoying following with your project.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2010 at 1:54am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

But I too miss my Sunday night "fix".

john

Finally.....an update and pictures. I gotta agree that it is a cryin' shame to put paint on that bottom. Love the last pic.
Hi to Dana too.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 12:01am
Had some spare time today so I wet sanded the first coat of green down and applied the second coat. Using Petit Easypoxy paint and this product is fantastic, I roll and Dana tips it in. It's a very slow cure and it just settles in glass smooth, next challenge will be to keep the darn bugs off of it while the final coat dries!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 12:52am
Wow.

Cool shot of outside the garage too. Motorhome and '81 in view.

Bet there would be no bugs in Dec/Jan!

Did you forget to e-mail me something or did I somehow miss it?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 6:10pm
Alan, any updates on the 55?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Alan, any updates on the 55?

Season 2 kicks off first weekend of November, Lumber for the sides is ordered. This year's scope of work should be a piece of cake compared to last winter although I think progress hanging the sides will be painstakingly slow!

Bottom needs one more coat of paint, then I'll install the topside inner layer of plywood, flip it and start hanging some planks. Stay tuned!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 7:51pm
The bottomlooks great! Are those flexable copper exhaust pipes? Did you see the pic I posted of a similar Hemi about a week ago?
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2010 at 10:34pm
I was waiting for this thread to move back to the top. I will be looking forward to the updates. You are doing an outstanding job with this.
86 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The bottomlooks great! Are those flexable copper exhaust pipes? Did you see the pic I posted of a similar Hemi about a week ago?

Yes, there's a rigid inner pipe about 12" down then flex the rest of the way, I'm not sure if they'll go back in. I would like to hard plumb it with copper to the transom. I did see those Hemi pictures, I've got quite a library now to use when I start getting mine ready for install, thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 9:53pm
Season 2 kicked off last week, the bottom got a wet sanding and another coat of paint. It will get a final sanding and finish coat once the sides are on the boat to tie it all together. Also got a coat of bilge paint on most of the interior parts that will be tough to get at once the sides are on.

Yesterday I started fitting the first layer of 1/4" marine plywood to the topsides. Got about half way on one side and then spent the rest of the day steam bending the auxilary frames up in the bow area. This is going along pretty good so hopefully I can get 2 days next weekend and make a dent in it. Once everything is dry fitted it needs to be marked, disassembled, cpes'd and then permanently installed with 5200.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 10:17pm
Quick as you bend a straight line; it isn't so straight anymore.   

Nice fitting sir!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 12:59am
Nice miter saw/stand.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 2:20am
Alan,
Wow what a fantastic thread.! I don't know how I have missed it. Sat down & read through it last night.

I now cannot wait to read more progress reports.!

Beautiful work.!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Quick as you bend a straight line; it isn't so straight anymore.   

Nice fitting sir!

Took me a minute to catch on to that Greg but yes as you bend the 8" wide sections tight to the frames your nice straight edge no longer butts to the previous board. Every strip there has to be fitted with the block plane. I've mentioned it somewhere back a few pages but the Meranti hydrotek marine plywood is a real bugger to work with, hard as a rock and the splinters are rediculous. I honed my block plane 3 times in one day to keep an edge on it. I'll be glad when I get back to solid planks of real wood again.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 8:52pm
Alan, I'm in complete awe of the work you're doing. I was trying to let you know that I understood some of the challenges you're up against.     
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2010 at 10:11pm
The plywood is tough, you're asking that block plane to do the end grain and edge grain at the same time.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 12:37pm
(speechless)
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2010 at 10:35pm
This weekend started with a step backwards(again). Basically I wasn't happy with the way the plywood inner sides were laying out. The problem is the plywood is so stiff that although I could form it to follow the contour of the side frames it wanted to bow out over the 18" span between frames. Even though I steam bent the auxilary frames the rigid plywood overpowered them and tended to straighten. An eyeball down the side of the boat showed the plywood was scalloped and not going to work.

My solution was to remove everything and steam bend the plywood strips, then overbend the plywood auxilary frames and reinstall. So 7 hours into my day I was back to where I started but with much better results and finally happy enough to move ahead.

The steam bending is slow but was definately the right way to approach this, after just a few more hours I was able to finish up one side. It will need to be removed again for Cpes and then permanently installed with 5200, I should be able to do that with the lights out by now. It'll still need a minor amount of fairing before the planking goes on but I'm pretty happy with it now.

The plywood was bent on the hull where I had clamping, some was done on my high tech bending fixture.

Pretty simple really.

Bending my way to the bow.

When buying my plywood I purchased one sheet of Okume marine as I'd heard it was easier to bend, problem being it costs 3 times the Meranti....Bottom line is it's worth it. I saved this sheet for the bow areas and had I known it would bend so much easier I might have been tempted to return all the Meranti and use Okume on the entire boat. Trying to be frugal with this project and watching the budget but this is one area that I will not skimp on next time.

One side down one to go.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415 50>
  Share Topic