NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 50>
Author
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 2:18pm
Can't wait till Green Lake to see it in person.....you will have it there in 2011?? right Allan?

Great work by the way!!!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 9:16pm
Paul, I here a rumble on the jungle drums .........

Hurricane SJRR 2011........

Must be some sort of code maybe?
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 9:30pm
Love the updates Alan. The clamp idea and a simple planking table are very good ideas and look like they have paid for themselves already!

On the planks that require bending, do you soak, steam, and bend prior to scribing with the router and plane? It would seem you have to since the board is going to change shape a bit with the bending process.

Thank God for cordless screw guns! Can you imagine setting all those screws by hand?
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2010 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

Love the updates Alan. The clamp idea and a simple planking table are very good ideas and look like they have paid for themselves already!

On the planks that require bending, do you soak, steam, and bend prior to scribing with the router and plane? It would seem you have to since the board is going to change shape a bit with the bending process.

Thank God for cordless screw guns! Can you imagine setting all those screws by hand?

The clamps are working fine but could be a bit more rigid, maybe 1/4" instead of 3/16" thick steel. I may put another screw hole in front of the clamp. best solution would be to buy long reach clamps but at over $10+ each I'd hate to cut them up for a one time use.

I have yet to figure how Im going to clamp the top row of planks. I may have to remove the deck so I may end up flipping the boat to do the last row. I have about a month before I get there so it'll get some more thought.

Yes on the steaming, they have to be fitted after cooling. That's what is slowing me down because anything steamed has to stay clamped overnight for cooling. I'm working on the transom and doing prep work on the next set of planks while waiting but I can't make any time. I have to spin the boat around to work on the other side but even that is a project as I have to move all the tools outside to be able to spin the boat inside.

Setting those screws with an old yankee screw driver must have been a hard days work. Flat head screws too just to add to the difficulty.

As for a finish date I've stopped guessing but it will still be atleast 2 more winters of work before this thing hits the water guys. You'll be reading these updates for quite a while yet. Thanks for the comments and encouragement.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 7:58pm
Been a long time since I updated the thread but I just haven't had much time to work on the boat since the holidays. I am getting a bit faster with the planking so at least what time I do have is productive.

5 planks done on both sides now, only 2 left. I'm going to install one more then I'd like to install the lower transom plank so I can trim the bottom plank ends. After that the bottom will get a final coat of paint and I'll have to flip the boat. I think I'll have to remove the deck to install the final topside plank so time to finish up and flip this thing over.

Very pleased with the fit the router is giving me, can't wait to get sanding the hull down and see what I've got.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 8:38pm
Alan,
Look'n good!!!

Did you find the wood bleach?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan,
Look'n good!!!

Did you find the wood bleach?

Thanks Pete, haven't looked for the bleach yet, plenty of time before I need it

Those dark boards up front are discolored from soaking and steaming, I think they're going to sand out lighter than they appear now.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2011 at 11:02pm
That boat looks so dang! good.
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 12:34am
Looks awesome Alan, flipping party?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 11:59am
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Looks awesome Alan, flipping party?

Is that an offer????   Probably some time in March, I'll put some cold ones on and we'll test the grill out after. Maybe a good place for our March Chicago bears meeting since I can't seem to get to any others.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 12:36pm
Alan,
You just say the word and we'll all help out flipper her over.. Yep and down a few cold ones afterwards... Looking great, Magic !!!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Been a long time since I updated the thread but I just haven't had much time to work on the boat since the holidays.

You probably found yourself with a few extra hours on Sunday afternoon...

Anyhow, it is good to see _somebody_ in the greater Chicago metropolitan area shows up to do productive work on Sundays. Not surprising all people are talking about here is a roll-over.

Kidding aside, looking spectacular Alan.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Alan,
You just say the word and we'll all help out flipper her over.. Yep and down a few cold ones afterwards... Looking great, Magic !!!!

Moj'

I'm in as well!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 2:30pm

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Alan,

Moj'

I'm in as well!

Plan it on a weekend and I'll fly up for the flipping Party.

Yes....... I'm serious!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 11:54am

Is that an offer????   Probably some time in March, I'll put some cold ones on and we'll test the grill out after. Maybe a good place for our March Chicago bears meeting since I can't seem to get to any others.

Sure is ... and we definitely do not want to call it a Chicago (bad news) bears meeting, I'll officially change it to Chicago Beers meeting. Just let us know, all hands on deck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2011 at 11:24pm
Been away from the boat for the last three weekends. We decided to do some remodeling at the offices which involved ripping some walls down to double our showroom size. Been dealing with the contractor, drywallers, electricians, painters, carpeting,etc all while we've been working at temporary work stations scattered around the production floor. Lots of fun, anyway we finished up a few days ago and moved back in to our nice fresh offices and I could finally get back to the boat.

Yesterday I got row 6 installed on one side and dry fitted #6 on the other, I'll install that one next week and will be done with planking for a while.

Running out of clamp space, note the wedges I've been using to ensure nice tight seams.

I then built a jig for steaming the transom planks.

Here's the original lower plank that I need to get installed so I can trim the over-hanging bottom planks before flipping the boat back over.

Really figured out the timing of the steaming, the planks have very little spring back when removed from the jig.

Also spent some time fairing in the sides starting to get some shape into it. We had some real nice weather here Saturday, it will be nice to roll the boat outside soon when I really start sanding this thing.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2011 at 11:31pm
Looks great! Were you a finish carpenter or experienced wood worker before you began this, or just a fast learner?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2011 at 11:44pm
Bruce, I went to a vocational school for carpentry but really never spent more than a few years in the trade once out of school. Any real Knowledge or skill I may have came from working with my Dad, he was a true old school carpenter/builder/finish man and I worked in the evenings on side jobs he would pick up. I don't pride myself in being very book smart but working with almost any tool feels pretty natural to me. Enjoying what your doing certainly helps.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 12:21am
Alan, it sure looks nice. Have to come see it in person soon. Let me know when your gonna flip it. If I can sneak away, I'll come help. That would be a good excuse to come down.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 12:26am
Sure has come a long way since I saw it at Green Lake!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 1:56am
a great way to finish up my Sunday night..with a awesome update..

Thanks Alan.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 2:52pm
Alan,
I am in absolute AWE!!!!

I have no idea where you find the time/motivation, not to mention the talent..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 3:50pm

Bruce, I went to a vocational school for carpentry but really never spent more than a few years in the trade once out of school. Any real Knowledge or skill I may have came from working with my Dad, he was a true old school carpenter/builder/finish man and I worked in the evenings on side jobs he would pick up. I don't pride myself in being very book smart but working with almost any tool feels pretty natural to me. Enjoying what your doing certainly helps.

I'd say you're a good boat builder now!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce,
Only "good"?? I'd say that's a understatement!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 4:47pm

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce,
Only "good"?? I'd say that's a understatement!!

I was thinking damn good boat builder, Pete, but I try to keep it clean on the site.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 5:09pm
When people see you and Dana driving that boat around they're going to think "man, those guys must be rich". The best part about it is that in actuality you'll have the boat because of your own two hands and your own resourcefulness. That's going to be a feeling of pride and accomplishment that money just can't buy. It would be cool if the name of the boat reflected that somehow- any ideas on the name?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

When people see you and Dana driving that boat around they're going to think "man, those guys must be rich". The best part about it is that in actuality you'll have the boat because of your own two hands and your own resourcefulness. That's going to be a feeling of pride and accomplishment that money just can't buy. It would be cool if the name of the boat reflected that somehow- any ideas on the name?

Joel,
No matter what people say, a DIY boat restoration really involves man hours and not big chunks of $$$$. It's only the people that have professional restorations done that have the money!!

My two wood boats names reflect the man hours: "wood'n'work" and "work'n'wood" with double meanings as well!

Alan,
Have you been keeping your hours? I think most will be shocked.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 7:00pm
Thanks guys but I must admit I didn't get this far alone, lot's of reading and homework but most of all Pete B has been my fall back guy from day one. I bounce things off of him weekly and his guidance is very appreciated.

Pete, I haven't been keeping track of hours. I put in one full day on a weekend and maybe 3-4 hours during the week, I am convinced 2 experienced guys in a real workshop could plank this boat in 2 weeks. Since starting back on the boat Nov 1 I estimate I've put in 21 full work days so 4 work weeks and I'm almost done with both inner and outer planking with one man. A team could knock this boat out pretty quickly.

Joel, You nailed it buddy, there is already a great sense of pride just seeing how far it's come. This project was a test and as bad as I wanted to tackle a wooden boat I really didn't know if I had the will power to stay with it, long way to go but I'm over the toughest hurdles now.

The boat is already named in my wife's honor, she is the whole reason I took this project on and with her encouragement look where we are. I'm sure once we unveil the name people will think the obvious but those who know Dana and I will understand. Sorry but you have to wait,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 7:36pm
Alan,
Thanks for the kind words but keep in mind, I think you would have gotten the job done no matter what!

When the time comes for that name on the transom, remember, NO vinyl!! My sign guy still paints by hand if needed. However, when he did the X, he did admit he did get some help with the outline with a Gerber mask!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 7:38pm
I wouldn't even know what to compare it to in automotive terms as far as head-turning/neck-snapping factor. It's a big deal.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 50>
  Share Topic