NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 50>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

When the time comes for that name on the transom, remember, NO vinyl!! My sign guy still paints by hand if needed. However, when he did the X, he did admit he did get some help with the outline with a Gerber mask!!

Pete I was thinking gold leaf although I haven't even looked at the cost yet. If I decide to paint the name instead of gold leaf Dana can do it. She has a fine art degree, it's not sign painting but we'll get it done!!!

It's almost time to start getting prices on my gauge restoration, I have an idea of what that's going to cost so I haven't pulled trigger yet.

One thing I can't put off is having a cutwater made, I'll need some advice on who can handle that for me. I'm sure that's going to cost a bit as well.

The real cost in this project is anything you can't do yourself!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 11:13pm
what is a cutwater???
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 11:28pm
kap,
its the chrome strip on the leading edge of the bow.. it helps protects the wood from impacts / or "cuts the water".

cutwater on Billy's boat
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 11:33pm
it sounded like it was that part but I wasn'y sure!!
thanks for the info!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 11:34pm
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2011 at 11:44pm
Looking absolutely great, 81

I know it's a tad early, but now I'm curious about your plans for the light colored sections.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 12:06am
Looks like it may have been paint.

I think an off-white "pickled" finish would look really nice.

Same visual effect from a distance, but up close you could still see the grain.

JMO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 12:50am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Looking absolutely great, 81

I know it's a tad early, but now I'm curious about your plans for the light colored sections.

I know you've seen a few of these yourself so that's quite a compliment.

The light colored areas are just painted plywood, the catalog page shows a light yellow but the paint on my boat was an off white. I really haven't decided what I'm going to do there yet. The yellow was an artist's rendering but may have never been actually used. I do like the yellow though, I will probably decide once I see the boat stained.

Thanks for the link on the cutwater, I'll give him a call tommorrow.[
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 11:19am
1 vote for yellow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 11:34am
I'm sure Al didn't realize the painted deck sections are ply and the reason he mentioned pickling. However the planked hull sides were solid color paint as well. What gets me, is he would recommend something not original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skinaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skinaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2011 at 11:56am
beautiful work as usual, the yellow looks great. But I would lean towards original also.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:07pm
If by saying yellow, you mean a bleached, blonde or natural stained finish.
Then yes, I totally agree that by the artist drawing, that was the original intention.
However, the problem in doing so, would be the making of a sharp, clean, crisp transition line on the hull sides without a seam or scribe line to stop the stain from bleeding into one another. This may have been the reason for the chrome trim detail in the drawing.

My "pickling" thought comes from the black 'n' white photos.
Just a way to retain the original white, while still being able to see the woodgrain thru the white.
Pickling is usually done on Ash with shellac. So it would be a whole different process on mahogany ply.
Anyway, wasn't recommending, just thinking out loud.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:24pm
Al (drcc) Here are a few older photos before I dug into the boat. The "yellow" areas are painted, there actually is a chrome trim piece that separates the paint from the stain.

Here's the best shot I have of the yellow color, you can see the colored areas on the deck are just plywood.

I'm going to use easypoxy polyurethane paint and plan to wetsand and buff to a nice smooth gloss. At this point I am about 90% sure it will be a light yellow, not quite as bright as the rendering but not an off white either. As always thanks for your input.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

If by saying yellow, you mean a bleached, blonde or natural stained finish.

Al,
It's yellow paint and not "blond" brightwork.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:30pm
And, If you don't like what Mike says about the Cutwater, there are others that do it.
I'd be willing to bet that you could fab it yourself, maybe even better. Then find someone that could braze it together without wrinkling.
Either way, that's going to be one pricey little piece of hardware.

I love fiberglass
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:31pm
Pete,   "by the artist drawing"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:32pm
...just keep the interior GREEN!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:38pm
That's what I get for "assuming"
I assumed it was mahogany ply.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 3:53pm
Alan, Do you have the original cutwater for a pattern?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Alan, Do you have the original cutwater for a pattern?

Yes I do but it's pretty beat up. I talked to Mike the cutwater guy yesterday and he suggested beating the old one back to shape and fit it to the new stem then we'll use it for a pattern.

Al, yes it is a bit pricey, before I go ahead I'm going to look at other options since I have plenty of time yet.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 6:13pm
I am more into a fiberglass restoration...(only because i wouldn't be so good at the wood work)..but if i was ever to do a wooden CC it would have to be one that looks like yours Alan!!! It's so Bad ASS!!!

Can't wait too see it in person!!!(and take a ride in it with ya)

WOW
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2011 at 10:30pm
I can't wait to hear what it sounds like too!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 2:18pm
How does the green bottom play into the whole scheme? Are you going to transition from green, to a yellow water line, to stained hull sides, and back to yellow in places?

As always, Alan, the work looks great!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

How does the green bottom play into the whole scheme? Are you going to transition from green, to a yellow water line, to stained hull sides, and back to yellow in places?

As always, Alan, the work looks great!

Current thinking is a white boot stripe but then yes as you said, green bottom, white boot strip, stained side, yellow deck and details. The floor will be green battleship linoleum like the drawing and the seats will be a light brown/tan, not exactly sure there yet. I wanted to get away from the traditional red bottom or bronze racing bottom. The trailer will be sand blasted and painted green to match the bottom with yellow details/pinstriping.

Chris, I love the green skins in an old boat but with the green floor I think it will be too much, I do have a piece of original seat material and it's a tan color.

Lunch is over back to the garage. Fitting the last planks today then starting on the transom and some more sanding.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 4:34pm
Sounds like it's going to be great. I should have been specific, I was referring the the green on the flooring.   

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 8:06pm
I had the pleasure of stopping by Alans this morning to check out the Hurricane.   When I got to the house, Alan was busy fairing the hull. He was wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt and sweating his b#tt off.... with the overhead garage door open! No it wasnt sunny and warm, It was overcast, wind was blowing and spitting snow flurries..

This guy is DEDICATED!

I could not believe how great it is looking! Pictures do NOT do his work justice!! Keep up the good work!   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 8:27pm
Steve,
What were you doing over there? Seeing if Alan would want to finish the Higgins when he's done with the Hurricane? You'd better get moving on that boat!! I'd like to see it in the water while I'm still alive!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2011 at 8:48pm
GOOD IDEA PETE!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2011 at 10:52am
When Steve stopped by I was well into 40 grit long boarding one side. I ended up getting both sides faired in with a 60 grit soft backed disc, I had to go out and buy a cheapo Harbor Freight grinder because my Milwauke was just too darn heavy to handle accurately. So I got both sides ground fair and then turned to the long board at 40grit.   One side is complete and I'm going to try to hit the other at night this week.

I don't think sanding through the grits will be that hard just time consuming but the 40 grit long boarding is brutal. This is the stage where the boat gets it's shape and if you screw this up you're going to live with it so it's slow going and really works the arms.

I had every intentiojn of fairing the second side Sunday but I lost my ambition and the shoulders said I should do something else so I filled any holes below the waterline with famowood and started cutting bungs for the topsides.

No pictures this week and I'm out of town next weekend so that's about it for a while. The goal right now is to finish long boarding one side, then sand and repaint the bottom one more coat. After that I'd like it to sit for a couple of weeks for the paint to harden and we'll set a date for the flipping party. Probably mid April.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 12:01pm
Here's where I'm at with the fairing. The flash from the camera shows I have a little ways to go yet but it's looking pretty good. I'll need to get all the bungs in before I go any further but I think that will be a summer project.

The shape up at the bow came in real nice. Lots of hand long board work there.

Nothing too exciting there but that sequence involved about 16 hours, just keep grinding along.

Also block sanded the bottom for the final coat of paint, plan to apply that this weekend.

Bottom planks finally trimmed and first transom plank installed.

Now for the flipping, we're going to give it a shot Saturday April 2 around 11:00 am so if anyone wants to come by and lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated. We should be done by noon and we'll put some burgers on the grill after. Only thing that could change that is rain so we'll confirm as we get closer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 50>
  Share Topic