NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 50>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2011 at 11:40pm
As always thanks for the compliments guys.

Well Finally got the topside planking finished, starting to look like a boat again and I really like looking at it right side up.    

This last row of planking was a challenge as the bow had some major flare and the tumblehome at the stern required some creative clamping to get the joints tight. Very happy with the results but those planks took 4 hours to install both sides.

I then spent a little time repairing the top transom frame, once the 5200 cures I'll install the inner ply and start steam bending the transom planks. I'll need to make a run to the lumber yard for plank stock and deck plywood, I didn't think I'd be this far along and have run out of material. Time to hand pick the deck and transom Mahogany.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2011 at 11:51pm
I hate to see that the weekend is almost over,but looking at Alan's project and workmanship makes it easier. Well done Alan,looking good.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2011 at 11:56pm
Gents - the phrase 'pictures don't do it justice' couldn't be more appropriate as it pertains to Alan's Hurricane. I took a 2-1/2 hour drive for the 'flippin party' to see this beauty in person. Well, that and to see the gang and get a ear full of tube audio. But I digress...

Alan's craftsmanship must be seen to be appreciated. The build quality, exacting standards and innovative procedures he is using simply can not be fully captured with a camera.

Thanks for documenting this build so thoroughly, Alan. It is just one more generous act you do for our community. In the same breath, it both inspires and scares the crap out of me to do a project of this magnitude.

Let us know when the turnover party is. I'd drive down again just to hear the 331 fire off for the first time.
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 12:43am
Sure has come along way since you brought it to Green Lake. My hats off to you for all you have accomplished.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 10:14pm
Well I had to dig down to page 7 to find this thread, I've been working but nothing ground breaking. With some help from Dana we got all the bungs glued in this weekend. That was quite a project because I actually had to remove every single plank screw and drill the   counterbore deeper, then reinstall the screws. 1500 screws in the topsides so that kept me busy for a few weeks. Fairing in the topsides took more material off than I thought it would and the bungs weren't setting in deep enough. I went coservative with the screw depth because of the thin 3/8" planking and it bit me, live and learn but it's done.

Also got the bilge painted but it will need a second coat.

Today I went up in the attic and set up beam consisting of 3-2x6 so I could hang my chainfall from it. Then set up 2 temporary columns for a little insurance. I've changed my plans for the summer and am going to work on mechanical issues while the deck is off. Just seems like the right time to do this while I have access. So the Hemi is going to get fired up in the next few weeks and the I'll drop it in for a test fit. Also hope to fit the exhaust again while the deck is off this should make things a little easier access wise.

Then I'm going to turn my attention to the motor and strip all the accessories off and paint and detail it.

Going to be a tight fit but I should have just enough height to lift the motor, slide the boat under and drop it in.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 7:57am
Alan, shall be looking forward to see the Hemi in the boat, that will be a real treat to see.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 4:05pm
Finally got to starting the Hemi up today.

Had a few minor issues but some trouble shooting with the Boat Doc and it fired right up. Had to swap the coil out to a 12v unit but had no spark at the plugs. Pulled the cap and found the points were brand new but had a corroded film on them from sitting for so long. A quick hit with some emery cloth and it fired instantly.

Sounds nice and tight, no blue smoke at all and no rattling. Did have a little trouble keeping the raw water pump primed so I had to put it directly on the hose.

Sorry about video quality it was shot on a cell phone. may try to post something better later if I can get my video camera working

You can't imagine how relieved I am to hear this thing run. About as cool as it gets for a gearhead.

RJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 4:14pm
Thats way cool. I know we have all been waiting with quite anticipation to see her fire up!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 4:19pm

I'm curious, did you start it up off a 12 volt battery as planed? What about the ballast resistor? Did you use one?

Fantastic news ether way!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 4:58pm
nothing like that to keep you motivated to keep with the project !!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm curious, did you start it up off a 12 volt battery as planed? What about the ballast resistor? Did you use one?

I used 12v battery, solenoid and a unresisted coil(autozone on a sunday!!! not many options). No resistor straight 12 to the coil, probably wouldn't last veru long but it didn't get hot for the 10 minutes I ran it.   The 12v battery cranked it over nice and strong. I need to talk to you about converting the generator over to 12v as I really think thats the way I want to go.

hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 5:20pm
Sweet!
bj
hasbeenskier
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 6:02pm
Very cool! Sounds good too!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

The 12v battery cranked it over nice and strong. I need to talk to you about converting the generator over to 12v as I really think thats the way I want to go.

Oh, come on! That's not the "original" talk I like to hear. Plus, unless you have turned it over on a 6 volt, you don't have a comparison do you??!!

Yes, it can be done and many do it. However, a healthy 6 volt system does work and did for many years. You just need twice the size battery cables and a decent battery. We can talk. 6 volt gauges will work on 12 with only a slight indicating difference. Since you want to send them in for the big $$$ restoration, you may want to talk to them about it. It involves coil rewinding adding the $$$$

FWIW, yesterday I pulled the 6 volt battery out of the Atom just to check it as well as clean up the terminals in prep for GL. 6 Volt battery are tough. This one is 5 years old, I winterized the Atom last fall, never touched the battery or charged it, stored outside all winter and it checked out at 6.7 volts - that's about a 99% charge for a 6 volt!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 9:19pm

Oh, come on! That's not the "original" talk I like to hear. Plus, unless you have turned it over on a 6 volt, you don't have a comparison do you??!!

Yes, it can be done and many do it. However, a healthy 6 volt system does work and did for many years. You just need twice the size battery cables and a decent battery. We can talk. 6 volt gauges will work on 12 with only a slight indicating difference. Since you want to send them in for the big $$$ restoration, you may want to talk to them about it. It involves coil rewinding adding the $$$$

I need to be able to run a bilge pump and blowers so thats why I'm thinking 12v. The 6v stuff is out there but very expensive. I think it will easier finding a 12v voltage regulator than a 6v also. The other thing is that I will not be sending the original gauges out for quite a while. Cocian wants $1200 to restore them and thats not happening anytime soon. I'm going to pick up a set of SW 12v wings for the time being. I'm not thrilled with them but they will do the job and I can swap them out later if I want.

Started tearing down the motor today so I can paint and detail.

Ps. You'll be happy to know the Chrome valve covers I picked up on ebay won't fit as I learned I have adjustable rocker arms and the covers I picked up don't have the bumps to allow for them.   Darn
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 9:28pm
Bilge blower and pump?? WTH!! First, it won't leak and second, all you do is flip the engine hatch open and smell. They didn't have blowers on them!!! My 64 doesn't even have one!!   

BTW, all that needed to paint over chrome is a quick acid etch!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Finally got to starting the Hemi up today.

You can't imagine how relieved I am to hear this thing run. About as cool as it gets for a gearhead.

That was Awesome.....totally AWESOME!

Only thing sweeter to my ears is a BIG radial firing up on an old Warbird or hearing one fly over.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 2:51am
Absolutely b*tchin.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 3:07am
effin awsome!!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 3:10am
what else can be said....the sound of the Hemi says it all.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 7:35am
What a great way to start the week thanks Alan.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 9:29am
there is always a spot in the heart for Hemi power
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 9:30am
are you running the gearbox?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Eric,
Do you know if that box would have had Paragon guts in it? It is a Chrysler box.

Lot's of marine specific castings on that thing!!! That's when the built a true marine engine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 10:05am
i would say about 95% sure it has Paragon guts, i was shelf cleaning on Friday and found a bunch of old Paragon mechanicals and my guys were saying throw that sht out, im like FU, one of these days someone is going to need this stuff.
Paragon had close ties with Chrysler marine in the day
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 10:06am

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Eric,
Do you know if that box would have had Paragon guts in it? It is a Chrysler box.

Lot's of marine specific castings on that thing!!! That's when the built a true marine engine!!

Good eye Eric, yes the gearbox is running. I couldn't seem to get it out of gear without having the lever attached to shift it. Without knowing much about the trans I decided to just run it in gear than screw with it and mess something up. There are some adjustments that I haven't read up on yet so better left alone for now.

Pete, I stripped off intake and exhaust manifolds and all accessories yesterday. This thing is a monster size wise but is so simple it's amazing. These hemis went into a lot of industrial and military equipment and they are built tough. You can see why they are a hot rodders dream, intake and exhaust ports you can almost fit your hand in. There is so much potential for HP it's very tempting!!!Very very interesting piece of machinery to work on.

ps. I need to talk to you today about where to get those motor mounts rebuilt.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 10:10am
241 redram?? dont criticize, thats from memory, they used those alot in stationary power units, pumps, generators and to the likes.
241,331,392,426???am i missing any?
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 10:35am
Hell Yea!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME Alan!!!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 10:38am
Eric,
The marinized version is the 331.

What about the gearbox guts question?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 11:59am
One more hurdle cleared, one more question answered, one more step taken towards completion. A good weekend for sure.

I say instead of music at the Green Lake reunion, we put the 331 on the band shell and just let purr for the evening. I'm sure half of those in attendance wouldn't mind...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1617181920 50>
  Share Topic