NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2021222324 50>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You may be able to sell tickets!

I'll buy one!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 5:03pm
Pete,
I knew that would get your attention.
To paint the ply is okay I suppose.
bj
hasbeenskier
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Marty there is more to racing than just stock cars----

Wow, my first car was a 64 Barracuda. Push button V8. I don't recall that the wheels lifted off the ground, however. BKH
Livin' the Dream

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

You let me know when that motor is going in and I'll come out and help.

Alan, how much parking do you have? You may be able to sell tickets!

800 lbs of engine and 1/2 inch clearance. I think perhaps I'll buy stock in finger splints and watch someone else complete the installation. BKH
Livin' the Dream

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 5:46pm
I'm in for a ticket too.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 3:19pm
Since the last post all the decking has been installed and screw holes filled. The initial fairing came out very nice, one more round with filler and a finish sand should put an end to the plywood portion of the deck. Also got plugs installed and sanded on the arrow portion of the bow.

Working away on the plugs for the rear deck and doors, 400,399,398....

Doors are close to being done, still need a little adjustment and final fitting. I ended up with a little twist in the frames which I didn't notice until they were planked, they don't sit exactly as I had planned but nothing a little work with a grinder and long board won't fix.

Then I started on the transom, steamed and bent planks.

Got all but the last plank installed, the final plank is double thickness and I still need to steam and bend it. Also need to modify my clamps to mount on the deck of the boat.

I've done a lot of finish sanding on the deck and coaming boards, hard to show with a picture but it's really coming together fast this year.

After finishing the doors and transom I'll be on to fairing in the sides of the boat. Looks like I won't get my compressor installed anytime soon so it will all be done by hand, commonly referred to as "sandercising". Gotta get the upper body in tune for ski season.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 4:00pm
Very Nice Work !!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 10:39pm
It's going to be a masterpiece for sure!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 11:25pm
Ooooh, Transoms gonna look awesome also.

A little trick for Hi-Speed Famowood-ing holes. Golf ball size in the left hand, w/ the thumb, shove into screw-hole firmly. With a thin very flexable putty knife, held flat on the wood surface, quickly push and pull under the thumb for a nice quick clean and full screw-hole. Once you get the hang of it, you can fill hundreds of holes in just a few minutes.
Just make sure you have enough filler under your thumb so that you don't slice off your thumb-print.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 12:51am
What a great thread, I am really enjoying it. Your craftsmanship is amazing.
If I had the skill, knowledge, patience, perseverance, tools, and two lifetimes to learn from my mistakes,I might attempt something like your restoration. Holding the buffer trigger down and squirting polishing compound on plastic is my skill set. I really hope to see it someday.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 1:03am
hardly know what to say anymore Alan...but OMG!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 1:38am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I wonder what they used to use on tires like that before armour all .
Brake fluid!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 2:21am
Hey Jbear you didn't even make mention of Alan working in a T shirt in the above picture! Up until today it has been in the 40's,makes it real easy to warm up the garage
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 3:24am
Alan;

Looks great! I really admire your dedication and perseverance in restoring the Hurricane. I wish I had your skills.

Question....How do you sand/cut/trim all those wooden dowls flush with the surface and not inflict any damage on the hull? There must be a trick to it I am missing!?!?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 10:53am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Question....How do you sand/cut/trim all those wooden dowls flush with the surface and not inflict any damage on the hull? There must be a trick to it I am missing!?!?

I hit them with a chisel but leave them about 1/16" proud of the surface then hit them with an 8" sand disk on a soft pad on a grinder. The hull still needs to be ground fair at this point so a little slip doesn't hurt. After the disk sanding the entire boat actually starts to get finisg sanded so most slips before this point are recoverable from.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 10:57am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

A little trick for Hi-Speed Famowood-ing holes. Golf ball size in the left hand, w/ the thumb, shove into screw-hole firmly. With a thin very flexable putty knife, held flat on the wood surface, quickly push and pull under the thumb for a nice quick clean and full screw-hole. .

Thanks for the tip Al, I will give it a try tonight, I've been filling a plastic caulk tube with famowood and filling the holes that way but in order to get it to flow it has to be thinned a bit. The result of that is it shrinks down below the surface when drying and needs to be touched up. So twice as fast but double the work. LOL.

Question for you as the pros seem to have different opinions. What grade of paper do you sand down to on new planks before stain. Once source says 80 then 100 and your done. other source says 80 and all the way down to 180 before stain. What have you done in the past?

Thanks

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 1:25pm
On the final hand sand.   Generally we didn't go any finer than 80.   
The guy that's doing 80, 100, 150 and 180, sounds to me like it's getting a quick pass with each grit, not really inspecting the grain to be sure all the machine marks are out.
But, I will say if they are spending the time with each grit, the only savings could be maybe one coat of finish.

The 180 guy probably likes a lighter stain.
I've always prefered the deep rich stain.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

On the final hand sand.   Generally we didn't go any finer than 80.   
The guy that's doing 80, 100, 150 and 180, sounds to me like it's getting a quick pass with each grit, not really inspecting the grain to be sure all the machine marks are out.
But, I will say if they are spending the time with each grit, the only savings could be maybe one coat of finish.

The 180 guy probably likes a lighter stain.
I've always prefered the deep rich stain.

Good info thank you. I'm going to learn towards a deep rich stain because of the wood tone variations so stopping at a course grit might be just the trick, hopefully that will help hide the different color woods. I'm going to experiment with some bleaching before I get too much farther.

I've already purchased a roll of 80 and 100 so I think I'll get through the 100 and do some testing. I'm quite all right with not going through 3 more grits if it's not needed.

How many coats of varnish would you recommend? I'm leaning towards 4 build coats, then sand, 4 more build coats, then sand and 2-4 finish coats, sound about right? Should give plenty of UV protection and plenty of thickness to wet sand and smooth any irregularities.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 3:53pm
Brushing or spraying?
We always dry sanded between every single coat. (220)
Very, very careful light scuff on the seal coat.

I always brushed each and every coat like it was the final coat.   The smoother you lay it down, makes the sanding easier.

I've had some turn out beautiful with 7 coats.
Normally 8 coats, spraying the 9th.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 4:07pm
I haven't done any mahogany since 1999.
So, as I could imagine, like everything else. Prices go up while product quality goes down.
Varnish might be thinner than it use to be.

Recently bought some polyurethane for some canoe paddles, it was almost like applying water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 4:10pm
Alan,
A trick I found with the Famowood is to punch or drill a hole the size of the bung in a piece of about 16 ga. sheet metal. Fill the bung through the hole and putty knife accross the top. This will leave the Famowood proud and will compensate for the shrinkage.

Looking great!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 4:15pm
She's coming along nicely Alan...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 10:39pm
Alan has been pretty quiet lately. Anybody check on him? Is he still in the garage?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Alan has been pretty quiet lately. Anybody check on him? Is he still in the garage?

I'm here Jim, Forgot my camera at work this week but really all I've been doing is sanding. After next weekend I'll get some current pics up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 7:16pm
Ok, here's where we're at after 3 weeks. Got the last of the transom planks installed and screw holes plugged and filled with famowood below the waterline.

The transom like the rest of the boat was sanded with 60 grit, then 80 grit disk, 40 grit, 80 grit and 100 grit on the long baord by hand. There are 6 hours of work shaping the transom.

Next I spent quite a bit of time on the hatch doors. I'm pretty happy with them after a test fit, a little more tweaking and they will be done.

Both sides of the boat have been finish sanded with 80 grit long board and are looking very good, next is to hit them with 100 grit and they should be done.

Before the 80 grit I marked both sides of the boat with diagonal pencil lines to use them as a tracer when sanding, this helps identify the highes and lows in teh boat and get it as straight as possible.   Lots of back breaking man hours in the sides.

Spent a few hours today fabricating the rub rail, that will go on next then I would like to build and fit the rear spray rail. The rear spray rail will get installed after stain and varnish but I want to fit it now incase there are issues. Hopefully a few down the road I'll be bleaching the entire boat and start thinking about stain.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 7:49pm
22 pages of amazing work. Keep it up.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 7:49pm
Once again Alan, fantastic and I don't even need to be there - the pictures are enough!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 8:00pm
Beautiful Alan. Now I need a history lesson from Pete. I understand Alan's pencil lines and the block sanding,much like prepping a steel surface for paint. But did wood boat builders back in the day do that or was it just a quick once over and out the door she went? I suppose it depended on the "price" of the boat also.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Beautiful Alan. Now I need a history lesson from Pete. I understand Alan's pencil lines and the block sanding,much like prepping a steel surface for paint. But did wood boat builders back in the day do that or was it just a quick once over and out the door she went? I suppose it depended on the "price" of the boat also.

Gary,
Trust me on this one and yes, I can do a little "educating" here    You are correct and I'm sure that CC did a quick once over, slapped on a couple of coats of varnish and it went out the door. I don't want to nail it down to only CC. Most of the manufacturers did it. What you see out there at shows are over restored boats. We all do it including myself. I feel the same is true with cars. When I judge the "most original" award for the ACBS, A glass smooth varnish finish will not give the boat extra points!!! In Alan's case, he will be going for a better than factory finish but, it's still the norm at the shows.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 9:02pm
Thats what I thought Pete.As much as Correct Craft,Chris Craft,Higgins,etc loved boats they were in business to make money and I didn't think they could take that amount of time sanding and varnishing. I enjoy Alan's thread,I think all of us are learning something,and like all the rest of you can't wait to see and hear it when he's done.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2021222324 50>
  Share Topic