NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3637383940 50>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 6:55pm
There's always this available for you.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

...but it came out good so I did the entire boat.

Come on Alan, you know the rules, POIDH

here you go Larry

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 12:01am
Beautiful, of course, and I am sure a superior job to what you would have gotten from Mr. Reliable.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 12:17am
Holly skit batman does that baby shine simply amazing work
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 4:52am
Amazing when you look at the difference between the pictures on the previous page (and Hollywood's quote) and these last ones.
Alan, it has been a long trip, but man did you do a great job on bringing this old girl to an astonishing beauty!!

I envy the lucky bastards that will see this treasure in real life at Green Lake...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:06am
thank you,

The pinstriper knocked on my door at 8pm last night, I think he thought I was pulling his leg about doing it myself. He wasn't very pleased. Sorry pal but this ship has sailed.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:10am
The CC Hurricane Drawings show a Burgee Pole just aft of the cockpit, did you find any evidence that it was ever there?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

The CC Hurricane Drawings show a Burgee Pole just aft of the cockpit, did you find any evidence that it was ever there?

That's a good observation Gary. I haven't decided what to do there yet. If you look even closer you'll notice there is no stern light either. My boat had one added where that burgee pole is. Since the doors are split it was actually mounted on one door and off center. Looked lousy. I am searching for the right fixture to put on there, possibly a burgee pole with a light fixture on the top. in the meantime I've run wiring and just coiled it out of the way until I figure out what's going back there.

To your question, I don't believe there was ever a burgee pole but I would like to add one since the rendering shows it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:40am
Alan, that finish is amazing. What are you doing with the Collinites cleaner?
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:00am
Morning Allen, I see you mastered the stripe work. Knew you certainly had the skill set. For me it would have been a good ego boost when the fellow stopped by in disbelief of your having tackled it yourself. I may yet paint mine but the white seam fill pops quite nice. Did you have seam filler in ther first. I have since read that some do it with brown sean fill so the white striping shows better. Is this what you did. I am happy with mine but there is always a better way and you usually find it just when you are done lol. I hope to see you at the Tavares meet this coming March. Correct Craft is featured as you know and this is a classic CC vessel.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Alan, that finish is amazing. What are you doing with the Collinites cleaner?

Thanks Bruce, testing few products to see what will give me the best shine on the yellow. There's still a slight haze on it and a few little scuffs from climbing in and out that I'm trying to get off without machine polishing. the Collinite did a pretty nice job by hand.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:25am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

I have since read that some do it with brown sean fill so the white striping shows better. Is this what you did. .

That's what I did Jack, brown Sikaflex then paint over it.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 12:24pm
Not sure if you noticed, but did you see the way Gas Vent was positioned from those 2001 pictures?

EDIT: NM you mentioned that haha.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:54pm
Lost track of this project as I haven't had much time on here lately, but had to take the time to log in and say "wow".
Absolutely beautiful boat Alan. Congratulations on a job well done. That is outstanding. I hope to see it in person one day.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 10:02pm
So the powder coat saga is over for now at least but not without a little more drama. I went by the shop Wednesday to check on the trailer and it was still sitting in the same place it was last week.The owner wasn't there but the shop guys knew I wasn't too thrilled. When I got back to my office I had an email that it was going to be coated Thursday. I asked if it would be ready to take home Friday and the reply was" sure all you have to do is come down and put it all back together". remember this is the guy that did my last trailer and on that one he did all the disassembly and reassembly included in the price.

I finally said the hell with it that if he would just put everything outside in the lot Friday night I would come by Saturday and put it together just so I could get it the heck out there. Friday afternoon I get a call that it's done, they assembled it for me. Great, thank you.....wait for it, wait for it.     They didn't paint the axles or the new springs, it was all still red bolted up to a nice green trailer.

Then I realized something didn't look right, the trailer was sitting way too high. They mounted the shackles on the bottom of the equalizer not the top effectively raising the trailer by 3".   but wait that doesn't matter because they put the brake axle on the rear so I would have had to take it all apart anyway. What a joke.

So I brought it home a saturday am. I pulled the axles, sanded everything down, painted everything, flipped the hangers, and swapped the axles front to rear. About 3 hours and it was done. The cake topping is I gave the coater a quart of bottom paint I used on the boat so he could match it, fail, it's close enough I guess and I'm done fighting this guy.

Then I wired it, ran the brake lines and this morning installed and carpeted the bunks.

I will give him credit for doing a nice job on fabricating the swing tongue.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 10:34pm
If its any consolation, it looks really nice, a sure sign you have had your hands in it.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 10:41pm
It does look great but damn that is so annoying. People/businesses like this continue to amaze me. How can you stay in business if you can't do the work you agree to do?

Also, how could you paint 90% of it and put it together and NOT notice that the colors are different, or not think that the owner may actually care about that?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 10:45pm
"Grasshopper restoring a wood boat will teach you patience and understanding"
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 11:16pm
Looking good - all's well that ends well!

I am sure you will have plenty of volunteers to help set the boat on.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 6:25am
Alan,
I'm sorry that you had to go through this. At least it's done and it looks great. The Hurricane will be happy and I know you are too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 2:37pm
Looks great Alan,the green looks nice. I don't understand some business pratices either. But it is what it is and the experences you go thru help you in life and make you who you are. Great Job!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:20pm
Looks great, I doubt anyone will be looking at the trailer anyway.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 10:45pm
Rainy Saturday morning s good time to get the boat on the trailer. couple of helpers and a few hours later we were in good shape.

I never enjoy doing this but the chain fall at the stern made things go pretty good.

need to build he bow stop next, the swing tongue works well and she fits in the garage win a few inches to spare
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 10:54pm
All that hard work is about to come to fruition. Congrats Alan, it sure looks great!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 12:48am
Sweet!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 2:52am
Sooooooo close to being done

Thanks for sharing this experience.

Donald
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 6:42am
Once again, I'll say the Hurricane is looking FANTASTIC! Alan, you are truly a craftsman and a great addition to the wood boat group. I was sorry to hear that a wedding intervened the weekend of the Geneva lakes ACBS show. I was sure hoping to see the boat there. I'll be judging again and having the Hurricane there sure would make things easy for me!! There is always next year but make sure you maintain your Blackhawk chapter membership - there is an important reason!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 9:12am
I let my Blackhawks membership drop a couple of years ago Pete. just no time to get involved in anything new right now.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 9:42am
A first class trailer is fitting for a first class boat. Nice last chapter. Did I miss conversation on the windshield? Just wondering when that will be going on. That will be the last profile change to the very clean looking hull. I hope to find a plank boat like this , perhaps a Starflite or such. They offer more value for the efforts expended. Do you think this will be your last project Allen? Shame to put your skill set on the shelf after going through the learning curve.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:20am
Jack, the windshield glass needs to be tweaked on the grinder just a little and I haven't had the time to bring it back to the glass shop. I may bring him the boat now that it's mobile so we can get it fitted properly.

This is my last Boat project for a while, I have a few other non boat projects (ie, home repair) waiting for me that have been put aside for too long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3637383940 50>
  Share Topic