NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3738394041 50>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:08am
Where would this boat have fit in, dollar wise in 1955 vs. comparable boats of the time? Was Correct Craft a "premium" manufacturer vs. Chris Craft or others? Basically how big of a deal was this boat in its day?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Where would this boat have fit in, dollar wise in 1955 vs. comparable boats of the time? Was Correct Craft a "premium" manufacturer vs. Chris Craft or others? Basically how big of a deal was this boat in its day?

Joel,
Considering the construction of the Hurricane, CC was going after the high dollar market. The hull is double planked on the hull sides as well as the bottom. Hacker was the only other manufacturer to do this.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:00pm
I'm kind of surprised to hear that Pete. I guess I knew centuries were plywood, I've seen plenty of those. I would have thought that Chris's were planked.. There must be some other somewhat higher end boats (I don't mean real high end, like Garwood for example) out there that were plank, weren't there? How about Lymans or thompsons, tho I would guess that all the lapstrake hulls are planked. Or is the distinction you are making That they are double plank versus planks over framework or plywood?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:14pm

I guess the answer is in how many they made Things in the country were still going great since the end of the war,there wasn't a recession until 57ish. I would guess an upscale boat from CC was not accepted.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:59pm
Larry , Pete is referring to "double" planked boats. Not very common.

To Joel's question, this boat with the hemi cost $5800 in 1955.   Don't really think it was a premium boat as much as it was an over priced boat. Once you started spending that kind of money you could easily have bought a Chris Craft Capri which was surely a better known and arguably better built boat. Probably why they couldn't sell them and it was discontinued after only 2 years in the line up.

think about who could afford a boat like this back then and I would assume that buyer would turn their nose up at a correct craft. $5800 of 1955 dollars is about $45,000 today, my analogy would be the difference between a guy who buys a Nautique and a guy who buys a Moomba today.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:08pm
Most of the wood boats produced by Correct Craft were plywood and inferior in quality to Chris Craft and Century who built mostly plank boats. The Hurricane is a very unusual boat for a Correct Craft. Gary, I'd say your probably right about upscale from CC not being accepted, otherwise we'd see more plank boats. Boat Dr has a very nice and interesting example of a plank Correct Craft that was built at the end of the wood boat era.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:12pm
Alan, I got to think your Hurricane, now that you've rebuilt it, is as good of quality as any Chris Craft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 7:54am
I called the canvas shop to push my appointment back a week but with holiday coming if I missed this date they said I would get pushed into August, yikes. So that was good excuse to take a day off work yesterday and get the rig mobile. I got the bow stop built and installed. the cover is going to cover the entire boat down to the trailer so we were concerned with getting by the bow stop, I designed the stop so it will pivot apart about 3" by pulling a pin.   worked out pretty good but with crude metal working tools that was a pretty good driveway project

pulled her into the sun and took a spin. The tandem pulls real nice so just a few more trailer items, bleed brakes , pack bearings, then install the windshield and it will be off for canvas Monday am.

this one shows the bow stop opened,

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 8:13am
In my best Jeff Spicoli voice......" Awesome.....Totally, AWESOME!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 9:58am
Alan - Very innovative bow stop! What is the lifting hook for at the top of the post?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Alan - Very innovative bow stop! What is the lifting hook for at the top of the post?

Thanks, The winch will mount on top of that post, I'm going to remove the hook from the winch strap. To secure the boat, the strap is passed through the lifting ring on the bow of the boat and doubled back to the post and attached to that hook there. This is done to avoid scratching the boat with the hook on the strap.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:19am
Another innovation! You double the winch power
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 10:35am
I have to say working with Reitseles Covers in McHenry was the most effortless experience I've had yet on this boat. Dropped it off Monday am, was told it would take a week but got a call 2 days later saying it was done.   They did everything they said they would and more. We used Sunbrella Supreme Fabric which has a felt inner liner to help protect the boat finish,carpet wrapped straps for the sides and added a draw cord along the bottom to cinch it tight. Fantastic workmanship all around and fits like a glove.

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 10:39am
Has it made that SPLASH sound yet?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Has it made that SPLASH sound yet?

Gonna fire it up, set timing and make sure it's pumping water sometime over the next few days then next weekend we'll drop it in and see what we've got.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 10:48am
That was fast Alan, I was thinking about you and your trip Saturday morning when it was raining.Good idea to put it off a few,but sure dicy yesterday with the rain. How does it feel behind the Jeep?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 11:02am
Seeing that last pic, I now know where CC got the idea for the sloped transon on the Nautiques from the ninties.
First class job from start to finish, Alan.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That was fast Alan, I was thinking about you and your trip Saturday morning when it was raining.Good idea to put it off a few,but sure dicy yesterday with the rain. How does it feel behind the Jeep?

Yeah, Saturday was crazy with those storms so we put it off til Monday which wasn't a whole lot better. We dodged dark skies all the way home yesterday. Quite a few detours getting to McHenry due to road closings from flooding.

After towing the big 200 this boat feels like it's not even back there, I'm guessing it's 1000 lbs lighter than the 200. New springs on the trailer and a good amount of weight on them makes it ride nice and smooth. It pulls straight as an arrow.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

Seeing that last pic, I now know where CC got the idea for the sloped transon on the Nautiques from the ninties.

Ha you wonder this, but considering they only built 2 or 3 of these boats ever it also makes you wonder if this is the case.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 2:17pm
looks fantastic Alan! Mold and mildew are a huge issue in our climate (welcome to Seattle, here's your alottment of penecilin ), with such a tight and thick cover, are you mitigating trapping water and condensation some how?

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Gonna fire it up, set timing and make sure it's pumping water sometime over the next few days then next weekend we'll drop it in and see what we've got.

Can't wait to see this in person!

Again, Congratulations!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

looks fantastic Alan! Mold and mildew are a huge issue in our climate (welcome to Seattle, here's your alottment of penecilin ), with such a tight and thick cover, are you mitigating trapping water and condensation some how?

valid concern but this a really for when we're traveling with the boat and away from home. Majority of the boats life will be inside the garage uncovered. I always let our boats breath by lifting all the hatches and seat cushions after each use so never really had too much of a problem. If this was to sit outside covered it would mildew up for sure.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 4:13pm
Alan, trailer needs some baby moons!!

Had I known the hurricane was that close I would have run over for a sneak preview, lol
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 4:38pm
Tim and I combined put thousands of miles on that trailer. Certainly does tow nicely!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 4:42pm

Tim and I combined put thousands of miles on that trailer. Certainly does tow nicely!

I haven't repacked the bearings yet so it's still running on the set you put in years ago, good job!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Alan, trailer needs some baby moons!!

yeah the trailer needs some bling but I'm out of time, money and energy. besides I have to have something to do next winter.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 4:49pm

Had I known the hurricane was that close I would have run over for a sneak preview

probably why he didn't tell you

lol
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

After towing the big 200 this boat feels like it's not even back there, I'm guessing it's 1000 lbs lighter than the 200.

Well the 200 is a couple of years old,better check for wet foam
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

Ha you wonder this, but considering they only built 2 or 3 of these boats ever it also makes you wonder if this is the case.

TP,
You may want to do more research on where the slopped transom came from before you comment. Hint: It was WAY WAY back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You may want to do more research on where the slopped transom came from before you comment. Hint: It was WAY WAY back.

Or, you could just tell us. I couldn't help but think the same thing that TP thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3738394041 50>
  Share Topic