NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3839404142 50>
Author
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You may want to do more research on where the slopped transom came from before you comment. Hint: It was WAY WAY back.

Or, you could just tell us. I couldn't help but think the same thing that TP thought.

Why be cool, when you can be an angry ornery old man?

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

looks fantastic Alan! Mold and mildew are a huge issue in our climate (welcome to Seattle, here's your alottment of penecilin ), with such a tight and thick cover, are you mitigating trapping water and condensation some how?

I assume this material is made to breathe and let moisture out while keeping moisture from getting in.
1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

Seeing that last pic, I now know where CC got the idea for the sloped transon on the Nautiques from the ninties.
First class job from start to finish, Alan.

I had already made this comment back on page 26 and got no responce. Glad someone else see's it too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

Seeing that last pic, I now know where CC got the idea for the sloped transon on the Nautiques from the ninties.
First class job from start to finish, Alan.

I had already made this comment back on page 26 and got no responce. Glad someone else see's it too.

I saw it also, but like what I said I assumed since they only made 3 of these and not a very popular boat that they wouldn't have done it because of this boat, i assumed there has to be something else.

Just a note i'm not in all knocking this boat, i would take this boat in a heart beat over a chris craft of equal quality, it's simply amazing.
1970 Mustang
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 12:43am
Well you're all late for dinner, Joel made that comment on the very first page.

As far as how many were made we have no idea, there are no records available. I know personally of 2, this one and the one the motor came out of, that boat was eventually scrapped.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 12:51am
Well, clearly Joel should have done more research.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 1:42am
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

I assume this material is made to breathe and let moisture out while keeping moisture from getting in.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. covers do keep moisture in, especially if the cover has a water absorptive material like felt on the inside. With Alan's ingenuity, I wondered if he had come up with a method to ventilate the cover, or to allow air to flow through it while it was being towed, aiding in the drying/evaporation process.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 9:03am
Nothing creative for ventilation on the cover, it really is for protection when traveling. The wife plans to make a lightweight breathable fabric dust cover for when it's in the garage at home.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Well you're all late for dinner, Joel made that comment on the very first page.

Joel just has a better eye for things in the rough. I didn't notice it until you had almost completed it and realized that your swim step was way too short
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 10:59am
Yeah only thing the boat is missing a teak swim platform, when ya installing that?
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 11:27am

Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

looks fantastic Alan! Mold and mildew are a huge issue in our climate (welcome to Seattle, here's your alottment of penecilin ), with such a tight and thick cover, are you mitigating trapping water and condensation some how?

valid concern but this a really for when we're traveling with the boat and away from home. Majority of the boats life will be inside the garage uncovered. I always let our boats breath by lifting all the hatches and seat cushions after each use so never really had too much of a problem. If this was to sit outside covered it would mildew up for sure.

Alan, have you confirmed that the Sunbrella Supreme doesnt breathe like the regular sunbrella? Ive never had any mold or mildew issues with the regular stuff, even when the boat is put away wet.

On cheaper covers, Ive also never had any luck with poorer fitting covers venting any better due to the fit. Its all about the breathability of the material. The tighter, the better... the only drawback being that precise fitting covers are a little tougher to put on, at least quickly.

The trailer is looking great too... Im digging those steelies! It always towed great, Im sure it will treat you well. I think you have some of the "good" Marathons on there too- all the ones I have from that vintage have held up well. We lost one on the Crush coming back from WL for no good reason, and those are much newer. They also dont make the raised white letter version anymore!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Alan, have you confirmed that the Sunbrella Supreme doesnt breathe like the regular sunbrella? Ive never had any mold or mildew issues with the regular stuff, even when the boat is put away wet.

The trailer is looking great too... Im digging those steelies! It always towed great, Im sure it will treat you well. I think you have some of the "good" Marathons on there too- all the ones I have from that vintage have held up well.

To be honest with you Tim I'm not really concerned with the cover, I think it just came up in the discussion. Take a look at it when you get to GL, I don't think the lining will prevent it from breathing at all. It was only a small premium over regular Sunbrella so if you ever have a custom built it's a good option.

yes the Marathons you put on there are the "older" ones, when I had them mounted on the steelies they commented about the raised white letters. Unfortunately they will probably age out soon though as they are circa 2005 so I'm hoping to get at least a season or two on them.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 8:20pm

Nothing creative for ventilation on the cover, it really is for protection when traveling. The wife plans to make a lightweight breathable fabric dust cover for when it's in the garage at home.

Alan,
My wife did the same for my Atom. She just went to the fabric store and bought a roll of a tan fabric. Sewed in down the middle and that was 20 years ago!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 11:34am
Well we dropped the Hurricane in the water yesterday for her shakedown cruise. To my dismay we didn't get very far from the trailer. She started and ran fine but we had a cooling issue. After priming the water pump several times we were able to get some water flowing through it but once I slowed the idle down she would lose prime and heat up. After a few attempts we figured we should put her back on the trailer and do some homework. I'm going to pull the pump tonight and take a look inside. Hopefully it's something simple because I'm pretty busy these next 10 day before GL, there is a chance she'll be a trailer queen but I'm going to do my best.

A few pictures of our morning.

"Dude how did we both end up wearing blue, good thing our wives love us because we look like a couple of dorks"

getting a little good luck from the boats namesake. Although I never got out to listen to it reports are it sounds awesome from behind.

I really love where the exhaust pipes sit at rest.

Our trusty boat crew, Todd, Renee and Evan. Thanks for the help guys.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:00pm

"Dude how did we both end up wearing blue, good thing our wives love us because we look like a couple of dorks"

Too bad about the cooling issue. But I'm sure you'll figure it out.
And she looks good in het natural habitat!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:20pm
It is good to see it wet. I am sure you know but not much makes a pump loose prime other than an air leak on the "suction" side. Hopefully its just a hose clamp in need of snugging down. Take a picture of the pump if you get a chance (its probably visible in some pic back in the last 40 pages but I am lazy, might be something that Reid, or perhaps myself have lying around waiting to loan out for just such an occasion.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:20pm
Alan, she looks awesome on the water!

No idea how your cooling system is set up, but hopefully its as simple as an air leak somewhere before the RWP. Thats the most common symptom of a low RPM (idle) overheat that I have seen.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:37pm
Looking awesome as always Alan but I gotta ask...... Where's the Champaign bottle and glasses?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:45pm
Cool to see it in the water Alan. I'm sure the cooling thing is minor and will be a quick fix. Congrats on a great job.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:54pm
Here's the plumbing detail. Intake is pretty straight forward run to the pick up, tightened everything up but no difference. Once I pull it tonight I'll have an indication of what to do. I can get it rebuilt by Van Ness engineering and back in time for GL with the help of some overnight shipping if I need to go that route. It's not a typical rubber impeller style but instead has 4 meshing rubber gears.

After talking to another Hemi owner and scrounging over his spare parts bucket we both think the rebuild will be the way to go.

It's a real odd ball pump Joe I doubt there's one laying around but thanks for the offer.

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 1:55pm
Isn't the pump gear driven, between the block and the transmission? Is the pump itself easily accessed? Hopefully an air leak.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:20pm
Looks soooo cool in the water! Can't wait to see it in person.

I think the trailer needs a couple of these decals.

89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:21pm
So the exhaust only gets water when the t-stat opens. Strange. By the way, boat looks amazing. I could never do such a thing. Good job!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

So the exhaust only gets water when the t-stat opens. Strange.

I dont think thats what he said or implied... manifolds should always be cooled. Chrysler did some extra plumbing to dump warm water back to the intake so it could be recirculated. If its anything like their later motors, there are several cooling hoses attached to the manifolds.

Alan, Im sure you know this, but be sure to check every path between the RWP and where it could potentially draw water from (including back to the stat housing) for leaks. Also check the tightness of the through hull fittings... really hoping its a simple fix!
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:28pm
The picture clearly states Raw return when t-stat closed to raw water intake, then raw water to exhaust when t-stat open. Maybe miss labeled his pic but, i think we need to see a pic of the whole motor to see whats going on.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Isn't the pump gear driven, between the block and the transmission? Is the pump itself easily accessed? Hopefully an air leak.

Pretty easy to get at Gary. Van ness said as the hard rubber gear wears that the pump will slowly lose efficiency to the point where it will do what mine is doing. Unlike a rubber impeller that even when worn will still create suction until the vanes break off this style slowly dies. We cracked open a petcock on the intake manifold when we did have it pumping and there was very little pressure. I sent them the above photo and he says it is plumbed correctly. I'm just going to pull it and send it out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:47pm
No the picture is labeled correctly but what you don't see is the rest of the plumbing. Water is circulating through the exhaust manifolds at all time, it only dumps water to the exhaust pipes when the therm opens, otherwise it reroutes it back to the raw water intake. I'll post a better illustration of the plumbing if I can find one later.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:47pm
Your raw water pump may well be similar to my old Chrysler flathead eight....Im sure its just a small thing that needs work.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:51pm
Alan, I'd be curious to see how much Chrysler changed their cooling system design from the 50's to the 60's... theres a few good diagrams in the Chrysler manual on p. 16-18.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:57pm
Very similar Tim, I have a good drawing at home and will post it later.

Roger that's the concept right there although it's a split system so there are two sets of gears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3839404142 50>
  Share Topic