NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 CC Hurricane Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3940414243 50>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 2:57pm
I hope you have some fur lined wrenches to work on that engine.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 3:02pm
Alan I would be surprised if the rubber gears are not all the same size...that picture above is with the engine upside down.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 6:32pm
Alan, keep the faith man, almost there, a minor bump in the road!
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 7:23pm
I'm not sure anyone can look at a Chrysler marine cooling system and fully understand it. There are even provisions in the system for a minimum amount of exhaust back pressure. Rebuild the pump and go boating!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 12:38am
There you go, it pumped two years ago when I fired it but no telling how old these gears are. At least we know what we've got to deal with now.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 12:44am
Water flow diagram for this mornings discussion
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 12:48am
Have you found new impellers Alan or are they a hard find? Look to be the same type as Rogers.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Have you found new impellers Alan or are they a hard find? Look to be the same type as Rogers.

I've got a definite source Gary, think we'll be in good shape.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:22am
Wow, very interesting cooling loop. Why the exhaust manifolds first? Or is there no real explanation.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:35am
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Wow, very interesting cooling loop. Why the exhaust manifolds first? Or is there no real explanation.

The exhaust manifolds preheat the water helping it reach operating temp much faster. This helps engine wear as the engine components warm up and expand to their correct tolerances faster.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:38am
ok. that makes sense.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 2:09am
Alan,
I like Joe am too lazy to look back, when you first fired the engine was it on a hose or pulling from a bucket?

BTW, looks awesome wet, cannot wait to see it. You must be quite proud, and you should.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 2:19am
Originally posted by PLBC PLBC wrote:

Alan,
I like Joe am too lazy to look back, when you first fired the engine was it on a hose or pulling from a bucket?

BTW, looks awesome wet, cannot wait to see it. You must be quite proud, and you should.

On a hose, should have checked it then but it wouldn't be any fun if I only had to do this stuff once.
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 2:54am
Just be glad I left the same hat in the truck!!!! We would have looked real cute then!!

It was a treat to be there and watch it run in the water. It is absolutely sexy and is a head turner for everyone. They had everything from fishermen, guests in the campground and even a surprise visit from "Joe Dirt" drooling over this boat.

Once this small issue gets fixed I think it will be ready for the lovely couple to take a much deserved ride together!!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 6:55am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

There you go, it pumped two years ago when I fired it but no telling how old these gears are. At least we know what we've got to deal with now.

Alan....looks much the same as mine, may be good to flush out the engine with the pump off as it looks like something gone through the pump......my guess is its lumps of rust from inside the engine as you bring her back to life, that drop down each time you shut off the engine.
May take a few heat cycles to clear her out I would order a spare set or two.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 12:31pm
How exactly does this gear setup work?

The engine spins these gears(impellers) and the water is pushed by there gears?

Seems strange, never heard of using gears to push water. I figure you'd want a more plunger type like most of our boats.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 12:51pm
Gear style pumps are very common. Not sure how common in marine systems, but in general.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Gear style pumps are very common. Not sure how common in marine systems, but in general.

Makes sense, i guess i should have said it doesn't seem like it would be very efficient, but I'm wrong on a lot of things.
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Makes sense, i guess i should have said it doesn't seem like it would be very efficient, but I'm wrong on a lot of things.

don't forget this is 1955 technology, probably state of the art at one time. Seems like everything current uses flexible impellers for this applications.

I looked into retrofitting with a more modern pump, it could certainly be done but since the old pump is serviceable we'll repair it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 4:07pm
Yeah i wouldn't change it, i assume the water comes in at the top of those 2 gears and then is propelled through out the bottom?
1970 Mustang
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 8:30pm

1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 8:53pm

Seems strange, never heard of using gears to push water. I figure you'd want a more plunger type like most of our boats.

Peter,
Sorry but once again you have inserted you foot into your rectum since you did no research nor have any knowledge on pump types before posting. Yes, gear pumps are very common especially on older marine engines. Here's the one I did on my 1927 Flexifour.

You could also have done a site search and found Older threads like "no super sucker needed"
I thought you were an engineer???????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Peter,
Sorry but once again you have inserted you foot into your rectum since you did no research nor have any knowledge on pump types before posting. Yes, gear pumps are very common especially on older marine engines. Here's the one I did on my 1927 Flexifour.

You could also have done a site search and found Older threads like "no super sucker needed"

That looks like an oil pump from a Harley Evo motor Pete. Only bigger

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 10:28pm
or an air cooled VW oil pump

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 11:14pm
When geared up, almost anything can pump
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 10:13am
Looks to be a extremely well engineered cooling system. Gear driven pump that would be almost maintenance free. I would bet after you install the new rubber gears that it will not only pump efficiently but last for a lot longer than the new style impellers on current pumps.

Just went through back through this complete thread. What a journey Alan, I consider myself quite handy but no where near your talent.

Would love to make it to GL next week to see it in person as I remember what it looked like back at the 09 reunion.

89 Ski

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Peter,

D in fluid mechanics. :)

But honestly I just had to refresh my memory, sorry for getting your blood boiling again old man.
1970 Mustang
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 1:00pm
Alan,

I noticed a truck w/a dark green trailer next to your truck on the morning of 7/5. I got a little excited thinking that maybe you had brought out the Hurricane that morning as well, but then I noticed the trailer was different that the pictures you posted.

Can't wait to see it running on the water. Too bad we are going to miss the trip to GL this year.

Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by scottb scottb wrote:

Can't wait to see it running on the water.

Scott

Ha, Me too! Hope you guys had a great week in TN.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2013 at 4:18am
Alan, The more I look at that return hose from thermostat housing the more I see a source of air for the RAW pump to suck from instead of water. It would always be empty as the water would syphon back down after shutting engine off.

Without knowing what it looks like inside the thermostat housing. Externally it appears to have a good source of air from both exhaust dump points as well. So there maybe a endless source of air from the exhaust if they are open to that return hose. I doubt the thermostat would seal off the dump to exhausts totally anyway allowing a small bleed past. Any pictures of it disassembled. I thought about it all the way home on the plane. I still like the idea of that tap inline that would close it off and see if that gets the water pumping properly.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3940414243 50>
  Share Topic