NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carter YH Carbs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 6:58pm

Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

OLD THREAD REVIVAL:

I surrender. I've rebuilt my YH carbs twice, and sent them out to a recommended rebuild service, all to no avail. Still have fuel flowing out the aft carb choke horn.
Has anyone found someone who can actually get these carbs to work properly without being a fire hazard?
I don't want to rile the Brainard overlord or originality, but if I must... thx

Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The trick is NOT following the float level setting per the instructions. The instructions are written for automotive when the carbs are level. Lower the aft level. The forward may need to be raised.

Yes, I have the Interceptor manual with the 'marine' float settings which were carefully followed....

I guess this makes Pete the "Overlord of the leakers"
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 5:53pm

The trick is NOT following the float level setting per the instructions. The instructions are written for automotive when the carbs are level. Lower the aft level. The forward may need to be raised.

Yes, I have the Interceptor manual with the 'marine' float settings which were carefully followed....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 10:30am
Brian,
I encourage you to at least try to set the float levels before abandoning or modifying the YH set up. It's always hard to hear about a fire like Jack's especially since he's one of us. Fires do happen and few of them are caused by the YH carbs. There are way more great running YH setups running out there than ones that dump fuel. As mentioned, float levels are they key to the YH's performing as designed. I remember running into Ken Meloon one year discussing the problem and was surprised that he didn't fully understand the cause of dumping fuel out the aft YH. He did mention blocking/disabling the aft YH but I also seem to remember he had ether the 272 or 292 so performance may not have been as big an issue as on a 312.

Give the float level adjustment a try. It's the most efficient way.

BTW, my 312 is running great and no fuel out the aft YH.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 9:40am
Forget originality and get rid of the carters is the most efficient way of eliminating the problem. Want to satisfy the original mongers you can simply block off the rear carb port on the manifold and run with one. If I read your past post on researching them correctly the cfm remains similar. I did read a post in the past there one of the Meloons had done this. Personally I have had my share of boat fires from these carbs and am done with them for life. Want some I have three complete assemblies. Also have a couple AMC 327 engines for sale.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2019 at 12:45am
Brian,
I bought my X55 in 1976 and I've never had the fuel problem. I rebuilt my YH's in 2009 and again never had the problem. The trick is NOT following the float level setting per the instructions. The instructions are written for automotive when the carbs are level. Lower the aft level. The forward may need to be raised.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2019 at 9:53pm
OLD THREAD REVIVAL:

I surrender. I've rebuilt my YH carbs twice, and sent them out to a recommended rebuild service, all to no avail. Still have fuel flowing out the aft carb choke horn.
Has anyone found someone who can actually get these carbs to work properly without being a fire hazard?
I don't want to rile the Brainard overlord or originality, but if I must... thx
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2008 at 9:34am
Yo Pete,

I just caught up with this one also........

Man you just had to use me as an example didn't you?

I promise that the next one will be original!

paul,

1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2008 at 11:38am
Originally posted by 63CCSN 63CCSN wrote:

Hi all!

I'm looking for rebuilt Carter Sidedraft Carbs for my 312 Interceptor. Anyone know of a source for them? I believe they are YH's.

Thanks!

Try Here
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2008 at 7:19pm
I may even still have a 4 bbl intake and edelbrock carb lying around here somewhere. We put a 3-2 setup on Dads 56 over the summer...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 6:10pm

Okay, here we go – This reply will be really messy and disconnected (sorry) but has some good info. on the YH carbs and a possible CFM number we were discussing above:

Carb Doctor web site's email = doc@carburetor.ca <doc@carburetor.ca>
I e-mailed this guy with the question: How many CFM for the Carter YH?
Hopefully he'll pass some info. back my way.
Carb Doc Phone # : 780-968-6622

Nice diagram with lots of data from a 1952 to 1955 Nash car (Ambassador) that used YH carbs at this site:
http://oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Carter/Nash/pages/p_%2040_jpg.htm

Old Corvette web site – 6 cyl. Used the YH Carter carb:
http://www.carburetor.ca/pdf_manuals/Carter/YHmanuals1.pdf
or:
http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Carter/YH/index.htm
(same thing – "non pdf" – i.e. just click on a page to view)

Corvairs used them too...

Here's a site (Black Hawk Engineering) that seems to indicate that the YH's original CFM was 128 (CFM) if I'm reading correctly:   
http://www.blackhawkengr.com/
Quote from site:
"The throttle body has a 1.83" bore to fit the F flow (180 HP) turbocharger inlet bore. The Performance Trends "Engine Analyzer" simulation software predicts that the throttle body will flow 256 CFM versus 128 CFM for the original "180 HP" YH carburetor. With the boost limited to 12 PSI for longevity, Engine Analyzer predicts 193 HP net versus the 148 net HP of the stock "180 HP" system. The EFI system is able to produce better fuel economy despite generating more power. I will also manufacture smaller throttle bodies for the B-flow (150 HP) turbochargers."

If 128CFM is correct, I guess that means "two" would do only 256CFM?

Another link to the same info. (same site). It's a fuel injection throttle body for turbosharged Corvairs that also used the YH carbs (Wow! Pretty interesting stuff!):   
http://www.blackhawkengr.com/Black%20Hawk%20Engineering%20-%20Bolt%20On%20Turbo%20Fuel%20Injection.htm

Ooo! Another site that says 128CFM --- "4 each Carter YH (sidedraft) carbs from a 6-cylinder Corvette bolt to the triangular flanges.......I think that Turbo Corvairs and some Nashes also used these carbs. I wonder how well it ran with that setup? You'd think it would be better with a divider in the runners...?The carbs I think are 128 CFM each X 4 = 512 CFM. You are right, sounds kind of undercarbed for a 331. At 4800 RPM it should use 542 CFM (if my math is right)."
Site Link:http://caddy500.com/index.php?topic=336.25;wap2

And here's a cool site that shows what CFM you should have based on the c.i. vs the max RPM's expected (recommended):
http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/carb_cfm.htm
This stie also has a nifty "enter your RPM's and C.I.'s and get your needed CFM for a carb" chart!
Or an equation to do it by hand.

And another similar site: http://slitherclothing.wordpress.com/2007/06/29/how-to-calculate-correct-carb-size/

In each case, it looks like, if you use the 312 Interceptor as an example, it yields a CFM a good bit higher than what 128CFM x 2 would be (256CFM), assuming the two sites referenced above are right about only 128 CFM for the Carter YH side drafts.

Man, this is almost as much fun as playing with Propeller Calculators, but I'm whipped from staring at the computer screen to long! I think my eye sockets are gonna need some PB Blaster soon if I don't stop now!
Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 3:31pm
Funny Stuff!

Pete - I'll look - see there's the issue - you said you looked at 3 word searches. Ya gotta look at a zillion or so; then you'll find stuff!

Let me check....
Inboards Rule!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:44pm
I saw an old ratty Atom Skier with one of those a few years ago in Freeport, ME.

I like Reid's. It looks like it's off of an old TBird.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:38pm
Bruce, You'd better get two of them. The other one you can stick over my eyes when I come to visit. I'll probably need some Imodium AD too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:17pm
Pete, Reid's is too subtle, we're going with one of these.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete's going to hammer you.

I already took care of the "keep it original" working him over!! It was even before Bruce picked up the Classic! Bruce is going to need the upholstered Frizbie on top of the dog house like Reids.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 10:29am
Pete's going to hammer you.
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 9:30am
Gary, This is all I've got for now. I'll be going up to my camp this weekend and can take some others if you need them.

I'd like to see some pictures of your Classic. Ours was owned by a guy you had been talking to on line a few years ago, (Hammer).

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2008 at 2:10am
Riley,

Any chance you have a pic of the engine from the front?
I changed the intake to accept a Holley and need to see how it's plumbed.

Thanks
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

Pete - Hope you can find it (the Carter's cfm). It seemed to me like we were thinking that the 2 together would equal around 500 cfm?

Craig,
You've always had a knack for doing searches on line. I did 3 different key word searches and about 10 pages each and came up with nothing!! Maybe the old carbs didn't have CFM ratings!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 1:52pm
Pete - Hope you can find it (the Carter's cfm). It seemed to me like we were thinking that the 2 together would equal around 500 cfm?
On the break-in (you guys were discussing), again, "it seems to me" like when I put the PCM 351 in my Cobalt, they recommended running it for a minimum of twenty minutes at no more that (I think) 2500 RPM's (or thereabouts) and then little spurts maybe of a bit more and a bit less, but not Wide Open at first (forget how long -- I know this is a great help ins't it)?
It's been 9 years ago now and I've only ever done an install once, but that's what I seem to remember.
What I remember "most clearly" about "break in day" was that there was this stupid Bayliner pulling along side me looking like he wanted to race a little and I couldn't (wouldn't) go any faster until it was broke in! I figured my boat was quite a bit faster (does mid 50's and with older engine did high 50's), but I couldn't punch the throttle yet at that point!
Later found out that that particular Bayliner was actually pretty quick. It would run in the mid fifties, which I don't think most Bayliners could do in the approx. 1999 time period. I think it had a 350 Chevy.
Inboards Rule!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 12:29pm
Bruce,
The HP/RPM graph tops out right around 4200 to 4300 on both the 6 and the 312.

Interesting that the smaller displacement Y blocks show higher red lines (the less the cubes, the higher the red line). Probably shorter strokes allowing safer top ends without lots of balancing of the rotating assembly.

The coil is in it's proper place using the same mounting bolts as the cover.

I think the SW gauges would have been the "Big Logo" series in the Classic. Plenty old ones and repros around.

If the babying method of breaking in the engine includes short bursts of high RPM's then yes but I'd also like to hear from other members on the subject.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 10:55am
I don't seem to have that page. What's the red line on the 6? An auto site said 4400, but that seems high.

So it sounds like my coil is in a ok place, where it's supposed to be?

We don't have a tach. SW makes a nice repro that will match the gauges that I'm planning on buying. I'll use a tach and dwell when I set the initial timing. Manual says idle should be 700 rpm. I suppose if I set at 6 BTDC at 700 I ought to be close enough. I then think I will use the break in schedule in the later Interceptor manual which is the babying method. Does that sound right to you?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 10:44am
Bruce,
The RPM's aren't in the spec listings but rater in the HP/RPM graphs.

Yes,the coil does need to be removed and bolted temporailly off to the side.

I forgot, the idle! I seem to remember the 312 is about 500 but also, the old SW tachs aren't the greatest!! Don't know how accurate they are at the bottom end and at WOT there's lots of needle bounce.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 10:30am

Bruce,
The 6's and 8's show the same in my manual. My 312 red lines right about where the book shows which is 4200 - 4300.

Go according the marine specs on the timing. The marine version may be cammed for more torque (many marines were) and that may be the difference in the timing spec.

It's been so long since I did a tune up (you know the 28 year old points that are still going strong!!!) that I had a hard time remembering about the timing!! The marks are on the flywheel on the 312. There is a "inspection" cover on the top of the bellhousing that needs to be removed. Look for one on your 6.

Edit: I forgot your flywheel forward. Did you paint over the mark on the flywheel? There should be a grove cut in it someplace.

Edit again: I just looked at you picture of the painted engine. Looks like there's a pointer sticking out of the shroud around the flywheel right about on the top. Is it?

Pete, I'll have to check out the 6 later this weekend. I'm not too concerned right now about that one because PO said the engine ran good and the points, even the gap look fine.

The 312 on the other hand has been rebuilt and only run for a few minutes. It has to be timed. I don't want to do the initial timing at 2600 rpm. There is an inspection plate on the bell housing, but it looks like the coil was put in a poor place.

I haven't found any rpm specs in that manual.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2008 at 9:54am
Thanks Craig. Yes it is interesting but it won't fit under the dog house!! I'm going to see if I can find the CFM on the YH again!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 9:57pm
Here's sort of an answer to my own question about a four barrel on the 312.

This link is to a site discussing a double four barrel on a 312, but the first sentence in the short article talks about adding a 4 bbl to a 312 and getting 235hp.
http://www.ctci.org/membership/Gilsgarage/19568VOption.htm

Intersting.

Inboards Rule!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

The only reason I mentioned Midwest was that Bruce took me outback to a Private building on the site owned by a fellow named Ken that was somehow involved there. I was looking at the Mustang 17 in his shop and noticed the wood boat being rebuilt next to it with the side drafts. Bruce mentioned their mechanic was reworking the engine and carbs for Kens boat. while I agree that most wrenches have not seen one of these in years, Im pretty sure someone there has recently.

I suspect that the Ken in question is Ken Meloon. I believe he has a mid 70's Stang and a wooden CC thats being restored.

MWCC would be one of the few dealers that I would go to with questions about the older boats- not all dealers are that well versed on the vintage CC's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 3:17pm
Bruce,
The 6's and 8's show the same in my manual. My 312 red lines right about where the book shows which is 4200 - 4300.

Go according the marine specs on the timing. The marine version may be cammed for more torque (many marines were) and that may be the difference in the timing spec.

It's been so long since I did a tune up (you know the 28 year old points that are still going strong!!!) that I had a hard time remembering about the timing!! The marks are on the flywheel on the 312. There is a "inspection" cover on the top of the bellhousing that needs to be removed. Look for one on your 6.

Edit: I forgot your flywheel forward. Did you paint over the mark on the flywheel? There should be a grove cut in it someplace.

Edit again: I just looked at you picture of the painted engine. Looks like there's a pointer sticking out of the shroud around the flywheel right about on the top. Is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:47pm
Pete, What's yours red line at? The Ford auto web sites I've checked out say 4600 rpm.
Also, what does your idle at and what do you set the timing at? The manual says 10 BTDC at 2600 rpm. Car web site says 6 BTDC at 450 rpm. Where's the timing mark?
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:22pm
Maybe I could fit one under my current "big and ugly" hatch!
(these were pics from back in June '06. Looks a lot different now).

Na, I'm just kidding anyway, but it looks like even that hatch was still low. And it's getting re-done anyhow...
Hey Phatsat67, there's your windshield again!

Wonder how close "under the box these were?
I think they're actually lower than even the valve covers!
Inboards Rule!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic