Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leaf spring

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 6:31pm
wAS THAT A PICTURE OF THE AXLE FROM THE TRAILER NEEDING THE SPRINGS? IF SO IT IS NOT A CORRECT CRAFT TRAILER AS THEY USED A SOLID SQUARE BAR FOR THERE AXLE. ALSO HAD 6 LEAFS IN THERE SPRINGS. THEY ARE STILL AVAILABLE FROM WOODY AT SECC
woodyelc
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 6:58pm
I had a set of springs made off of my original ones from a place in Michigan it was about 120 bucks a side and they were a perfect match of the original rusted out ones.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:23pm
wel no it's not usable i just went to take the pics and saw that the wheel was hitting the fender mount i don't know if it has something to do with the spring being broken or somoe other pprobs but the boat isn't going anywere..
i'll begin cheking to find OEM parts. maybe more expensive but faster.

thnx for the help as always guys
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:53pm
that'r right pete we wash down but i know 100% that we don't get it good enough. we just measured it is 33.5 inch and 6 springs. but if a find a mono i would get that.
but can we use the trailer like it is? i'll snap a pic and you can tell me if i can or can't. we only trailer maybe 1 mile and drive about 30 km/h so not fast and not long.

we have some family down here from netherlands so we really need it to be done haha they've been waiting a year to get a ride in it
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 2:49pm
Ko,
It's been several years since I bought the mono leaf spring set. I got them from Northern Tool but they no longer carry them. Get your brother searching again because in your case, the mono's may be a good idea. They won't trap salt water between the leaves. I know you rinse down the trailer but doubt you get the salt water out from deep down between the spring leaves. It may be the reason they failed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 2:05pm
wel i guess i should break out my wallet for some new spings thnx pete i'll measure any probs i'll ask..
gonna put the carb back on so she can atleast start haha
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 11:09am
Ko,
If no luck with OEM springs, buy two springs from the site you found as close the the original length as possible. You need the hanger kit anyway for the shackles and bolts but it also comes with the hanger brackets. Have a local welder cut the original brackets off the trailer and weld on the new ones at the proper center distance (same as unsprung spring length) I did when I converted to a monoleaf.

Wow, This picture sure brings out the fact that I'm going to have to repaint soon!!!

Yes you need springs. You need them to cushion all the bumps so the axle doesn't see lots of extra forces from inertia - the weight of the boat and trailer plus the kinetic energy from the downward movement of this weight. (if you drop a 100lb. weight on the ground, the ground see's more than 100lbs)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:37am
yup if i replace i'll replace it completly..
your right pete we don't travel long nor fast... what can happen if i remove the springs?? will i get in trouble due to weight?? will the axle break or something like that?

not great news tim i doubt there is someone here to make it for us if i do find one i better had bought a new trailer ( dramatic) but you could imagine what they charge.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:29am
CC trailers use oddball axles and springs. I doubt you'll find any online trailer store who carries what you need. Your best bet is to find someone local who can build you what you need- or call Woody at SECC and pray he has something in stock!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 10:09pm
Ko,
You do not what one of the "slipper" springs. Both end of your springs have "eyes"

Measure the center eye to center eye distance on the existing springs. Compare that to the sizes your brother found on the web site. The old ones will be slightly longer that what you find listed due to them sagging over the years.

Your 86 weighs 2400lbs dry. Add some weight for the trailer and the 1800 or 1750 (each) will be fine.

You may want to replace the shackles and bolts too. Of course it's not like your traveling great distances at interstate speeds ether!!!

hanger kit

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2008 at 9:53pm
hey guys wel for the ones that know from ethanol thread i rebuilt my carb and everything to hit the beach well were not goin anywere our leafspring broke from rust.

it only has one spring left and the first time we pull it of the sidewalk it will break completly so we wan't to replace both of them.
my brother found a website that sells spring but i have absoloutly no idea wich one we should purchase and i really need it fast since my patciance is running out for use the boat.
if none will work can someone post one that will work?

1986 sn original trailer

leaf spring site
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic