NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Parts Sources

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 3:19pm
I wanted to say thanks again to all who helped me get the trailer squared away. We towed to St. James city(N Ft Myers), back to the St. John's, and then home without the rear hubs even getting warm. The front hubs have the brakes and got a little above ambient temps, but not much more than that.

Smooth!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2009 at 7:01pm
Greg, how level does your trailer ride? I got mine to sit pretty evenly and all my hubs would stay the same temp- the brakes on the front axle didnt seem to have any effect. Im wondering if yours is a little nose-low?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 9:35am
It may be a touch low in the front. I've only done a backyard assesment of the the tongue weight, and I did shine a couple of links on the safety chain last w/e. The flip side is where the prop guard rides; it seems to like where it is.

I thought the brakes were transferring the heat(not more than slightly warm)? They worked great!

Also, my trailer has both axles mounted to either end of a swing arm and the trailer pivots on it. Wouldn't that be self leveling? Sort of?!!?   LOL

Dave said he'd only seen my trailer under a FN.

1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

It may be a touch low in the front. I've only done a backyard assesment of the the tongue weight, and I did shine a couple of links on the safety chain last w/e. The flip side is where the prop guard rides; it seems to like where it is.

I thought the brakes were transferring the heat(not more than slightly warm)? They worked great!

I can only tell you from my experience that all 4 of my hubs ran the same temp. In cooler weather they ran cold, in warm/hot temps they run a little warmer. No difference between the axles though- and my brakes were a little grabby, if anything.

You do want the trailer sitting perfectly level, though. Tongue weight is more a function of where the boat sits front to back on the trailer (where the bow stop is positioned). Sitting level is a function of your hitch height- I know some guys have to run a pretty tall riser (drop hitch inverted) to get their CC/Ramlin trailers level. Alot depends on the tow vehicle, obviously.

Ive never seen an older CC tandem up close- but there are several BFN's in the diaries on them. I bet they tow nice- I always loved how mine tracked on the highway.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 12:48pm
It did tow well. It tracked straight through the rougher areas of construction almost like it wasn't there.

We also had a boatload of camping gear in the truck. It's an '02 Z-71...Louise.
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 1:08pm
I know it's supposed to be 10% tongue weight, but it sure seems like you can get away with less than that on a tandem.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I know it's supposed to be 10% tongue weight, but it sure seems like you can get away with less than that on a tandem.

No way! Trust me, you get a light tongue and youre wagging all over the place- its a scary feeling! Erring on the side of too much tongue weight is much preferred.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2009 at 1:47pm
I am comparing single to tandem, not the general theory. I'm not sure how well this applies though since these boats are relatively light.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic