Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing trailer bearings on my 1988

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Pauly-Banana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing trailer bearings on my 1988
    Posted: April-02-2009 at 1:11am
I think that it might be a good idea to replace my trailer bearings on my 1988 diamond plate Correct Craft trailer before going to Green Lake! For years now I only trailer twice a year from storage to the launch ramp in the Spring and repeat this in the Fall. The trailer does sit in indoor storage all year round! I have added grease through the years, but wanted to know or get some input on brands of bearings. Maybe what to stay away from! What are the best places to purchase them and any helpful tips on installation.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 9:04am
Pauly, I just replaced the bearings etc. on my trailer before I headed down to the St. Johns River Run. I got all the stuff at NAPA. I've got all the part #'s written down and will post here when I get home some time today or can just give you a holla' if you'd like.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 9:13am
Here you go Pauly. I did bearings and brakes right before the river trip.

Trailer Parts Sources
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 1:13pm
I replaced my bearings on our 88 SN trailer a few times in a few years. I used parts from Napa, which was a bad choice. Could have been due to not fitting correctly or just cheap parts.

We take a trip each year about 2 hrs each way and when we got back they were SHOT!

Last year, had some work done at a trailer shop and haven't had any problems.

Just FYI, I had no luck with NAPA parts.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I replaced my bearings on our 88 SN trailer a few times in a few years. I used parts from Napa, which was a bad choice. Could have been due to not fitting correctly or just cheap parts.

We take a trip each year about 2 hrs each way and when we got back they were SHOT!

Last year, had some work done at a trailer shop and haven't had any problems.

Just FYI, I had no luck with NAPA parts.

Well I doubt it was actually NAPA's fault since they didn't manufacture the bearings, might have been a bad batch of bearings, but I would say that they either where not the correct bearings that needed to be used and/or they where installed incorrectly.

I've put bearings on many a car, and trailers using what NAPA sells with out any issues or complaints or problems from customers, friends or using them myself.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 3:18pm
I suggest you inspect the bearing first then replace if needed. I also caution you to go just going by numbers someone else has used might be the same then again it might not be the same.

Jack it up, pull the tire pull the hub now take the bearing and with you fingers in the center of the inner race rotate the bearing against the outer race and feeling for rough spots, smoothness as it it rotated, if they are nice and smooth then clean them up and visually look at them and look for pitting on the rollers, in either case if they are rough riding against the race or there is pitting the they need replaced. Look at the back of the inner race then there should be a number stamped into it coppy that down and then cross reference that number if needed, don't forget to replace the oil seals and outer races as well, you can buy them as a matched pair, but sometimes they have to be bought seperately.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 3:19pm
how did that happen
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 3:29pm
I've never had any problems with NAPA bearings either. Bought the bearing w/races included, packed with good grease and installed correctly. No problem.
Get The GOOD STUFF.

Edit: I agree with 79, clean and inspect, if ok, re-pack and re-install.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 4:12pm
I don't feel it was a NAPA problem ether. Now if you had gotten the bearings at Autozone, that's another story!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 4:22pm
I have always had good luck with getting bearings/seals from Champion Trailers.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 4:28pm
I bought a "Redline" bearing/race/seal? kit a few years ago. I took a picture of the sticker that showed all the sizes of the pieces, but cannot find it now. I think you can get Timkens at Napa, which seem to be good. The Redline kit says made in China... :( I didn't know this when ordering online, I think it was from etrailer.com.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 4:44pm
timken, and NTN are about as good as it gets bearing wise. Just match up the ones you have by the numbers on them when you order new ones. The issue is if you just go by ID then you maynot get the correct width or correct speed or load rating as the manufacturers will have several options with same ID & OD specs that are not interchangable due to loading and speeds requirements. And this may be the case why the bearings failed for the one guy.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 5:44pm
Yeah, pay attention to both the ID as well. I had the guy at the local trailer shop pull some out and he only matched up the OD. The ID was bigger and they obviously didn't fit the spindle. My mistake for not looking at them myself, had to go back the next day.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 6:23pm
Ive found that napa usually stocks better parts than any other store. This summer I had to put a starter solenoid on the 86 and I got 2 bad ones in a row from advance so I went to napa and it looked like a much higher quality solenoid and go figure it started right up haha. Im getting ready to check out the bearings in my trailer after I get the boat all ready to rock because last year on the ride home from the lake one of them was alot hotter than the other(cant remember which side).

Storm either you got some bad bearings or you didnt pack them well and or didnt torque the bering nut correctly either to tight or to loose. I smoked 2 front hub assemblys on my dakota because they neglected to tell me there was a TSB out to torque them to 280 FT lbs instead of 180. They lasted about 150 miles each.

I usually try to find timken bearings for whatever im working on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 7:56pm
I like the idea of buying the parts from NAPA, they are just down the road from me. Morfoot added that he would send me the part numbers, that would be great! I really appreciate all the help.

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 8:28pm
Pauly, does your trailer have one axle two? Just curious.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 8:34pm
Pauly,

I am planning on doing the same thing this weekend. This thread helped me alot.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauly-Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2009 at 10:41pm
86BFN, I have a one axle trailer! I see that most of the California boats have two for obvious traffic and distance issues in finding lakes with good skiing conditions. It looks like most or many Barefoot Nautiques also have the dual axles. Donald keep me posted with tips on how it goes!
skierbrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierbrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:03am
This is great info. I've had my boat for almost 12 years and have never replaced the bearings. I've made several trips to Minnesota and Iowa and knock on wood, have never had a problem yet. I do add grease every year and I am always feeling the hubs when I stop to make sure they are not hot.

I need to replace the bearings before going to GL. I remember helping my dad probably 20 years or more ago changing his bearings but now I'm a little worried about not doing it right.

Anyone have any good pictures of how to take the hub apart and removing and installing the bearings and seals?
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:51am
Skierbrant

This link has some good pictures. I still need to do my bearing and was planning on using it.
Rich
Trailer Bearing LInk
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 12:06pm
92NautiqueSNOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92NautiqueSNOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 12:38pm
I re-did my entire single axle trailer (for 92 SNOB) last year and have had great success with the bearing kits ordered from redneck-trailer.com- they offer the single bearings if needed, but in my case, the better deal was to get the entire kit including races, bearings (inner & outer), grease seals-
I have tried bearings from NAPA before and they were OK...Give em a look- they have everything you'll need:
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/2009/B/B42-B46.pdf
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Some of you may recognize this boat and trailer

WELL couple of thoughts, you really should use the right tool to drive in the races, very risky method suggested IMHO, and if they are not seated completely then they will loosen up and your sitting on the side of the road scratching your head. Go to the local auto parts store and rent the tool and do the job right.

Secondly it really doesn't take twenty minutes to get the races out, there should be a slot/groove in the hub exposing a small section of the back side of the race, get a good punch and give it a coule good wacks and it'll pop out pretty quickly, 20 minutes is all the longer the whole job should take, not just getting the races out.

TIP to get the rear seal out quickly and in tact, pop of the front bearing then with the hub still on the spinde screw the retaining nut back on, then slowly pull the hub forward untill the nut clears the race for the front bearing then let the hub drop a little so that is basicly drags on the top of the spindle until it stops, you've just catch the leading eadge of the rear bearing, now give it a good yank, pull down and towards you. The rear bearing and seal will be left on the spindle and the hubs ready for clean up and new races if needed.

In a pinch you can use the method to pack the bearings, but it's much cleaner, and you can pack them better if you use the correct tool, clean them and then take them to a local alignment shop and the'll shot them full of grease for you pretty cheap if you don't want to buy the tool or have one all ready on hand.

making sure the races are completely seated is very crittical if not then as you use the trailer they will seat themselves and loosen the preload on the bearing and then they'll turn to junk and snap the spindle before you know it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Some of you may recognize this boat and trailer

WELL couple of thoughts, you really should use the right tool to drive in the races, very risky method suggested IMHO, and if they are not seated completely then they will loosen up and your sitting on the side of the road scratching your head. Go to the local auto parts store and rent the tool and do the job right.

Maybe its not the ideal method, but it clearly works if youre careful. That trailer has been made the trip from Chicago to Boston and back twice on the same set of bearings and they always ran COLD.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 1:44pm
Tim it takes a lot longer to do the job and for someone that isn't all that handy it can get you into trouble very quickly. But then I only spend about 15 minutes a wheel start to finish and don't waiste twenty minutes geting a race out.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:14pm
This ia a great thread as I'm going to have to replace my bearings if I'm going to drag the Mustang to Green Lake.

Has anybody dealt with an old #2 trailer. When we bought the Classic in November, I asked the PO to replace the bearings. When he got it apart, he said the bearings and hubs were an odd size, and while he could replace them, he recommended we do a new axel & hubs. He got them from Redneck Trailer and only charged me for parts, so it was a great deal. I'm wondering if I can just do the bearings on the Mustang trailer or if I'm looking at a whole new axel and hubs.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:29pm
Bruce, that #2 should be a piece of cake. Axle and springs are oddball sizes, but the hubs and bearings are standard issue. From memory, theyre 1" inner and outer. For $35/ea, Id just get new hubs.

I did all 3 of my #2's last spring.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:36pm
Tim, recieved, will go out USPS in the next day or so
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:41pm
Awesome, thanks Eric!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2009 at 2:53pm
That would be great if I could do that. The hubs come all loaded and greased don't they?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic