NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK’s 78 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

put a grove around the top and put some RTV around just before the final push in.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth a patent I always say.

Wow Roger, better get back on those meds!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 79TiqueRebuild 79TiqueRebuild wrote:

Roger,
Is that a special router for metal? I just thought they were for wood.

A decent vari or multi speed router will go slow enough to get the RPM's down to where the FPM at the cutting edge is proper for aluminum. Then it's just a matter of what bit you put in. I've used milling cutters in my router many times. A good example is using a up or down cut spiral bit when they are not available to the standard line of "woodworking" bits.

It doesn't matter what you use to turn the bit!!!

Monty, As Pete spotted its just a variable speed router and yes you should use spiral / ali cutters , but I needed depth so used a cheapo worktop 2 flue cutter, can use tipped wood cutters at a pinch just take it slow and not to much in one go,as I had taken most out with a drill I then opened it out with the router and jig then changed cutter size to do the top, the old ali machined real good, it must improve with age as the stuff I use today is not like it.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

put a grove around the top and put some RTV around just before the final push in.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth a patent I always say.

Wow Roger, better get back on those meds!

Greg I get so far down the road then have to turn round to check my front door locks, looks like its mail order meds for me   
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 9:34pm
Had a go at machining the heads for more lift using the cutters I picked up at GL, I have to say they worked real well cut the cast nice and clean, made a simple rig to do it on and take a mag drill I used to take the rocker boss down for screw in type I later found there is a cutter for this by Goodson.
Vortec heads are only good for around 0.465 lift have taken down the valve guides now will take 0.600 lift, there are a few ways to do this beehives offset retainers,my way is more old school.
Its just not worth sending them out here to be re worked compared to the cost of a new after market set.

Pulled the rocker studs, I let them soak over night first with releasing oil then heat up each boss with a Map gas gun ( around 2min of heat then pull ) worked for me.

Leveled up the stud boss along the heads the tapped the threads in.

Now made a plug just over 3/8 and worked along the head taking the boss down for the new rocker studs.

On the valve guides used these cutters.

Spring seat first making sure I only go down to the old spring depth.

Then use the other to cut down the valve guide height and it machines for new valve seals, I made a disc that I put on and cut down to it each time giving me the same height along the head.

Finnished head just need to open out the push rod holes to 1/2 inch

Head Rig.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 9:50pm
Roger,
Looks like a lot of work but gets the job done. I'm cool with your "old school" methods! It's actually good that Chris is taking a break as I'm sure he would have a few comments on the method!!

MDF for fixturing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2010 at 10:32pm
Quite an ambitious do-it-yourself project without the benefit of a machine shop......nice work Roger, looks like you had a great plan.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 1:49pm
Roger you are one handy fella! I learn a lot reading about all of your interesting projects.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 3:29pm
Thanks guys, if you can do a stringer job this is easy just take your time and measure twice before you cut,if not sure time for a beer.

Yep Chris will not like this for sure.   
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
81 tique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:08pm
I am a newbie to this site and as a owner of a SN. This has been a great thread to follow, Thank-you. I do have a question for you, would the stringer drawing you have be the same for a '81 SN? If so could you send the CAD file, I will need it for my next project? Thanks, C
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2011 at 7:58am
Cass, you should be able to use hull side,but you will need to mod the tops of the stringers to the cradle that the 81 SN have.
I would add 2 or 3mm to the drawings hull side to give you some extra to scribe to your hull as they a will differ hull to hull.

Post an email address and I will ping them over.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
81 tique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2011 at 9:22pm
Thanks!!! cbtdevelopment at comcast dot net
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 6:36pm
Thought I have a go at making an engine cradle that would stand up to sea water too,turned out to be a bit of a journey, had some old architectural bronze (more brass than bronze) so made my first one trouble with it I don't think the boat would get up on the plane as it came in at 80lb so had to think again and came up with this much better at 24.4lb

lets have a go 2
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 6:53pm
pictures don´t do justice!!
lol
composite cradle!!nice..what did you use as a template?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

pictures don´t do justice!!
lol
composite cradle!!nice..what did you use as a template?

Sebastian,Will post how I made it just working on resizing the pictures I have

Cheers Roger.
lets have a go 2
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 7:16pm
download the VSO image resizer..resolution 800 x 600 fits nice in the screen, very simple to use...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 8:33pm
I made a frame up 2mm smaller than my stringers in the boat, then put a rad on the top inside edge,the cross section I held together with tape so I can fold it in on its self when dry, covered the frame with PVC sheeting.
The frame is made using Quad Axle 5 layers and all laid up in one go,I soaked all my Quad with epoxy and left to soak as I then wrapped around the frame,the epoxy will not kick when its in the Quad so you have lots of time it took me around 11/2 hours to do on my own.

I made 2 wedges that push the Quad around my cable trays when I wrapped it all in pallet wrap then rolled over it to get a good glass,epoxy mix if I had to much epoxy in one place I slit the wrap and pushed it out.

Left overnight then unwraped and move onto the next stage.
lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 8:46pm
The first picture you can see some glass hanging that I pulled out a bit of Quad and used like string to hold the mid section together before I wrapped with pallet wrap.

I trimmed up and added the wings for engine mounts and a small bit of extra glass string to level up the top.

lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 9:11pm
I then machined off the top to give a flat face to fix the pylon and mixed up epoxy filler to tidy the frame up,to make the tube just unrolled the pallet wrap to .2mm bigger than my pylon and rolled some quad around it wrapped with more pallet wrap,when dry I put it in a bucket of water to soak the cardboard tube in the middle pull out and the film that's left will fold in and pull out,this way you can make a tube to a real good fit.
I then spun it off to a hole saw size I had again to get a good fit.
Before I drilled the hole I added extra glass sheet inside to the top and bottom of the mid box epoxied in and 2 end infills.

lets have a go 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 10:11pm
Roger,
It always impresses me on how creative you get!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 6:13pm
I used the other part of the tube to make a socket to fit a tall pylon in and set it at the same angle as the main pylon 2 inches off leaving room to still get a rope over the finger.
I bonded 2 strips of brass inside the box using 3M epoxy to tap into and will hold the main pylon in, also added some quad inside around the tube.

lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 6:54pm
Once the top and bottom braces had been glassed on I then wrapped the socket around the outside onto the main frame with 3 layers of quad.

Will add a flat to one side at the bottom so I can make a twist lock on the bottom of the pylon.
On a side note I tried the 3M epoxy on plastic pipe after a light sanding it works real well and as its a modified epoxy has some flex too,down side its not cheep but it is sold in small tubes.
lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 8:44pm
While I have been working on this I came across this,which may be of interest,ready made sleeves from glass to carbon and others in between,so making a tall pylon or a custom fit boom along with ducting under floor a lot easier,could even make exhaust pipes back from the manifolds
Got to try there way on the site by using heat shrink over it and working out from the middle with a heat gun
As you can see it will expand and contract to a shape and comes in many sizes and grades.

Glass Sleeves
lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2011 at 7:33pm
Here are some pictures of the mock engine and drive to see how it works out, looks like I need to put a 1/2in glass packer under the front mounts to leave good adjustment, I used the idea off the site (think its Pete's) and made a collar that is a snug fit on the log with an inch hole for the shaft,left a shoulder on it to stop it working down the log then tape on a stick to hold the shaft out to the size I was shooting for and set my mounts to fit.
If you make the collar quite long I found the log sets the shaft out.

Shall now spot the fixing holes so I can drill out to take some bronze threaded bushes I'm going to bond in with the 3M Epoxy so I end up just bolting down through the cradle locking it up,at the front will bond on mounts(see mdf mock up) that the cradle slides under and locked by the engine mounts, this way if I take the engine out I can pull the pylon and the cradle should slide out from under the floor.

Switching to a PCM drive has lowered the front of the engine by 3'3/4in, as for stringer height off the hull I would now shoot for 7in(mine are at 6'1/2) to underside of mounts at the front( note PCM have 3 sizes of engine block mounts for Chevy I'm using the short) and 6in to the underside of the rear mounts.
If your going to use a cradle you need to take the thickness off along with the drain tray from the above sizes and all sizes are from engine side of stringers.
The prop shaft will need to be shortened by 4in all sizes are working off a distance from end of the log to the coupling of 6'3/4 which leave room to fit a PSS seal and places the engine where its always been but lower.

lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 8:49pm
I have had a go at the battery box after making a new one I then add a ducting around 1 side and across the back with a smaller outlet engine side both my cables will run up it and also act as a vent,I have gone for a drain but have kept it up off the hull by 1'1/4 I made a glass pipe up and glass it to the box,once I fitted it into the hull I then glass around the bulkhead,I put a small grove around the end so I can fit a Riva Duckbill drain RY8100A replacement valve (sorry Pete its off a jet ski)its the only type I could find over here, you guys have many the Polaris has a good one,the one I used will fit on a tube 1'OD or if you grove the pipe 11/8 for a snug fit.

On a side note this may work for the talked about no foam self drain stringer set up just make some tubes up and fit through the stringers in a few places with duckbills on,they are not 100% water tight but close once wet.

lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2011 at 7:19am
Here is a picture of the Polaris duckbill may fit existing set ups.
lets have a go 2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 11:02am
Think its time to change meds again I have skinned the cradle in carbon fiber then coated with epoxy wet sand and buff up.

lets have a go 2
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 12:01pm
you're right up there on the OCD list
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2011 at 12:04pm
have yet to crack into the back ends of one of those PCM's, the only 2 I have seen is yours and Joey's, looks like they went to cast iron,
when you see a drastic change like that, that means there was problems, well anyways that where the "whine" noise is created, and it looks like a ball bearing may have been added to the top gear.
I think of the problems on the older PCMs was under heavy power the 2 gears would cause a spread load and snap the aluminum housing
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 8:42pm
This is what I have come up with for a pylon pin holder to glass onto the hull.

Wrapped the pin with 1 layer if cling film 0.03mm thick then first wrapped a layer of Kevlar followed by 1.2m run of biax carbon fiber round tight held in place with more cling film.
Once dry spun off round on a lathe and more carbon biax 2.6m added
spun off again giving me the tube, then just tapped the pin out and removed the cling film, shall make a carbon plug to bond into base with a thread set in it to screw the pylon pin onto.
Not sure yet if I will add an O ring or just some sealer around the top of the housing and pin.
The wall thickness of the housing has come out at 12.7mm
Shall use the carbon sleeving to bond down to the hull, in the picture I have turned the sleeve in on itself giving me 2 layers, the bands are there just to show how it wraps round, will use cling film when I bond in place.
Will add more layers after that and finish off with the carbon biax.

lets have a go 2
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2011 at 10:17pm
Roger, It's been definitely confirmed that your are as anal as I am!! Probably worse!!    I wake up in the middle of the night and think about projects and assume you do the same. Ether that or, as mentioned before, you just have too much extra time on your hands!!

Yes, the "engineers" where sure sleeping on that socket connection of the pylon to the keel. It really does not take a "rocket scientist" to figure out you do not mount a cup (female) on the keel that will hold water!!!! They, down at CC in those years, plane and simple are just stupid idiots!! I have the female socket on my 77. I filled it with epoxy!! Stuff like this really amazes me that Ralph actually made it though that time period!! He had nothing but "stupids" working for him!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678>
  Share Topic