NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Get the Kids out on the water.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021>
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 12:24pm
Put her in the swing on a raised boom and get her footing right away
This is the life
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

She was begging me to teach her how to barefoot the other day, I suppose I should look into getting one of those swingy things.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Swing? My son has been asking but I am hesitating and I have no clue what to do.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 5:55pm
Nice shots Halfnely.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 6:26pm
Swing? My son has been asking but I am hesitating and I have no clue what to do. [/QUOTE]

Here's an example of the "swing" method:

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Nice shots Halfnely.

BKH

Thank you sir!
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2016 at 11:09pm
Thank you Brian, appreciate it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 2:12am
We can talk you through the swing...all you need for kids is a handle ...15" is better...an old toehold handle will work...or call up lake elmo sports and order a custom swing...36" long with 24" "V" ...Charles made me one and it works for all sizes. I had bought a Barefoot international but it was too short. You want the boom angled up in the air some ...there is only two rules don't let go of the boom or you will fall out. And bend your knees. They cannot fall. At the end of the run turn with boom going high in the air cut power and set them down.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 2:22am
This young man has now had some one on one training with David Small who clinics at some California lakes. We did get him prepped with a swing
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 2:41am
Halfnelly...with the skill she has you may be able to skip the swing and use a kneeboard or wakeboard no bindings have her stradle it holding onto the boom...with bent knees...just stand up. But the swing offers alot of learning without ever falling so i would use one...teach one foots and hops....just a little routine right foot left foot hop...repeat as water permits
This is the life
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 2:49am
Thanks. I suppose the first thing we'll have to invest in is a wetsuit, she's still in the 30-50lb vest with the crotch strap, not exactly preferable for 'footing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2016 at 12:24pm
The swing will keep them up and out of the water so a wetsuit is not required ...some wetsuit shorts with current vest ....or just some short pants/boardshorts will work....then if she is enthusiastic you will need a youth barefoot suit...those barefoot international suits give the best protection/floatation/skiability even though they are stiff and thick....it takes 10 uses before they start to feel like it "fits"
This is the life
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 1:31pm
Alright, it's my turn to dig up this old thread and put my kids on. I spent 10 years racing motorcycles on F1 tracks all over Texas, Alabama, LA, Oklahoma, and probably a couple other states that I can't remember. I enjoyed it and I was pretty good at it but two years ago it dawned on me that my two girls were getting older and they could care less about motorcycles and I'm kind of ok with that considering the cost and danger involved. I have always loved being on the water and when I was in college we were at the lake every day wakeboarding behind a ski nautique 2001 which is probably why it took me 5 years to get my 4 year degree. Last year, my wife and I decided to get rid of all of the racing bikes and get a boat. I knew from the beginning that I either wanted a correct craft or a master craft and we ended up with our sport nautique. It was the best decision we could've made. We already have an rv and love to camp and the boat made it even better! I just wish we would've done it 5 or 6 years sooner.

Here is me and my oldest surfing. She is my more apprehensive child so the best I could do was get her to try surfing and knee boarding. This year I'm shopping for her a wake board. She's 7 and loves being on the water.

My youngest is 3. She is my dare devil so I think she's going to be all about some water sports. She loves being in the boat and loves to tube but this year she's going to get up on the knee board for sure and maybe the surf board. We'll see. I know a lot of people on here hate surfing and it's not my favorite either as It doesn't take much talent but it does help get the kids comfortable at standing up on the water.

92 Sport nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 2:22pm
Keep it up with those kids. my three daughters all started at about the 4 or 5 year old mark. They all love it and are now in their teens. Started on ski's, wake board and they all even did a little barefooting. My oldest ski's on the Marquette University water ski team - "I'm a college athlete" she likes to proclaim!

Wakeboard - lot of great "closeout" or "clearance" deals for kids gear. Otherwise ramp up the craigslist search for used stuff.

Don't be afraid to get them on water-ski's too!
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Don't be afraid to get them on water-ski's too!

I'm definitely not afraid but, as bad as I hate to admit it, even after years and years of wake boarding and kneeboarding before that, I have never skied, so I wouldn't even know where to begin on teaching them how to. I would like to try it and we have some friends coming up to camp with us on memorial day weekend and he's a big skier so who knows, maybe that will all change.
92 Sport nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 3:07pm
Something I have had great success with teaching the "apprehensive" ones is put them in the water with another skier/boarder and pull them tandem, Funny thing is this is how I got my daughter over the hurdle of being afraid of the fish and now she is the one in the water as the ski along coach.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2017 at 3:42pm

Keep it up with those kids. my three daughters all started at about the 4 or 5 year old mark. They all love it and are now in their teens. Started on ski's, wake board and they all even did a little barefooting. My oldest ski's on the Marquette University water ski team - "I'm a college athlete" she likes to proclaim!
!

Skutch, congratulations on your daughter skiing in college! Similar experience with me. All three of my kids learned to slalom at a very early age and we spent a ton of time on the water. As they got older, less skiing and more "other things". My oldest daughter is a freshman at Clemson, and we had talked about her skiing there. I let her figure out what she wanted to do as I didn't think it was my place to guide her activities. Well, last week she called me and said that she met a boy that was on the wakeboard team and she was going to go to a meeting about the ski team. Saturday, I get a call saying she is coming home to get her ski and a wetsuit. I just smiled and said I love you have fun.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 5:56pm

My oldest ski's on the Marquette University water ski team - "I'm a college athlete" she likes to proclaim!

I was unaware Marquette had a water ski team. Is their course on Lake Michigan?

My new lake house (storage unit for the Classic with private launch into Milwaukee River) is adjacent to MU's girls crew team's locker.

No, CQ, you may not spend the night there...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

My oldest ski's on the Marquette University water ski team - "I'm a college athlete" she likes to proclaim!

I was unaware Marquette had a water ski team. Is their course on Lake Michigan?

My new lake house (storage unit for the Classic with private launch into Milwaukee River) is adjacent to MU's girls crew team's locker.

You know that is the hardest thing to get out of my daughter, apparently they do not have a permanent home. They have a portable slalom course and rely on Alumni for boats. They usually end up on Little Muskego, as their is a jump there that they have permission to practice on.

So, I had the Sport on the Milwaukee river last year, wasn't sure how far north I could go, so we turned around at the Milwaukee Lakefront Brewery - Since I have seen the MU crew team practicing by the H-D Museum, I assume you are on that section and it is navigable? Must be a good ways north of the Lakefront Brewery???
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 6:28pm
We river cruise frequently. We can go as far south as the marina near the former Horney Goat Brewery. If you take the fork that goes around the Harley Museum you can go all the way back, past the large concrete silos. That is where my launch is and where the Lake Express car ferry is wintered (I'm certain that draws more than the Classic...) Not much to see down there though.

If you stay to the right of the HD Museum, that canal takes you to the Twisted Fisherman.

I've gone as far north, and just slightly past Humbolt Ave. Stubby's Gastropub is up there and is a good place for bar food. If you want an amazing dinner, tie up by Vine or Ship Streets and take a short walk to Wolf Peach.

Of course, plenty of public tie ups along the way - 3rd ward, downtown, etc. You need to make sure you stop and let out-of-towners do freaky things to "the bronze Fonz" statue since liquor is likely to have been involved.

Outer harbor at night is spectacular, especially around the museum and in near the Summerfest grounds.

Downtown MKE on the river is flat out the most fun you can have while at flat idle.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 6:50pm
Yeah, I knew you could get to the old Horny Goat, there are some other cool places a few blocks walk from there. Also have visited the Twisted Fisherman AND if you hang a LEFT at the H-D Museum and follow that back a ways, there is a really cool looking barge all set up for what must be some CRAZY "pirate" parties - lots of flamming torches and fire pots - looks like it could almost get a little on the "wierd" side.

They take that "flat idle" thing VERY seriously, found out the hard way - you should also know that even though you are on the river flares ARE required (yes on the river, even the joint task force thought it was dumb - "What are you going to do - fire it off into an apartment building - oh that will help a lot if your in distress." Luckily, I was calm, cool, friendly and was properly equipped (my flares were all expired, but I had a signalling mirror - so that counted) and I got off with a warning. Funny thing was when they wanted my trunk open to see the motor, I opened it up, they were all shocked, "where the motor?"

Everytime we tried to venture into the harbor coming from the river it's always been to rough. And anytime we have come up the lakeshore to Milwaukee from Racine, we always stopped at Southshore Yacht club (we have only ever done that twice, both times with the Reilly's.

Have to check out that northern part of the river, sounds like some good spots!

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

If you take the fork that goes around the Harley Museum you can go all the way back, past the large concrete silos. That is where my launch is and where the Lake Express car ferry is wintered (I'm certain that draws more than the Classic...) Not much to see down there though.

I must have skipped reading this, so you know exactly where that pirate barge is and I know exactly where the launch is, how do you get access to those, we launch at Skipper Buds and it can be a little rough being at the end of inlet from Lk MI???
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 7:01pm
My launch is right next to the Pirate barge. I'm certain to meet that guy this summer. Not sure if it will be a good or bad thing...

The launch is private for those who are renting a storage unit. There are two secured gates between Canal St and the launch. It is a nice perk for those who rent a unit there.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 7:03pm
Oh, I can't wait to here the story on that barge, please be sure to share!!!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 7:18pm
OK guys,

#1: I would love to know more about boating in Milwaukee. Always thought that would be so fun.

#2: Steve- when did your daugter join the team? Was she at Bennetts with us last spring break? Those Marquette kids know how to have a good time, that's for damn sure!

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 8:03pm
Joel - It literally took me 3 years of "encouragement" from Frankenotter to take the Sport on the river. Let's just say, when you wipe your boat down after the cruise - you might as well take the towels and put them in the garbage. The river is FAR from clean. But if you want to go, we can certainly show you the ropes!

She is a freshman this year, and joined last fall. She only skied one tournament but ABSOLUTELY loved it! Then they elected her captain of the women't team for next year. So NOPE she was not a Bennett's last year and YES Marquette kids know how to party - always did, always will - HA! She won't make Bennetts this year (she is on a mission trip) but anxious to go next spring break. I would love for her to spend some time with you to get some course and trick tips. Would you be game?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 9:01pm

I would love for her to spend some time with you to get some course and trick tips. Would you be game?

Of course!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I would love for her to spend some time with you to get some course and trick tips. Would you be game?

Of course!

Yea me too. I'm practicing for the Marquette team as well. Cough......

I just need a 200 to practice behind to get better.

Joel come on up sometime this summer. We can splash the 176 and hit a few breweries.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 10:11pm
Steve I'd like to check out the area you're keeping your boat. I'm looking for summer storage options in Milwaukee. You should also give me a call when you're crazing the river. We can hoist a few beers.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2017 at 10:11pm
In.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2017 at 10:13am
In
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1718192021>
  Share Topic