Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski Nautique Total Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 12>
Author
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2015 at 12:40am
Engine and Velvet Drive transmission aligned to prop shaft tonight to DOBA, calibrated by NASA rocket scientists one nanosecond before the connection was made while using a Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory Edition Signature Series torque wrench. The kind used by Cal Tech High Energy physicists, That will be close enough. Thanks, Pete for the alignment video and Eric for the pictorial step by step.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2015 at 11:45pm
Got a late start this afternoon but got the transmission and engine bolted together and hoisted into the boat. The engine hoist I was using is a little sketch and i was unsure it had the capacity to do it, but i toughed it out. Ran out of daylight so i was not able to start on the alignment, but pretty satisfied with where my starting point is considering this was a total gut and rebuild. Hoping for a work night this week to get it aligned and the final hookups. Would really like to fire this sucka up next Saturday. Upholstery should be ready Tuesday.

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 4:26pm
I decided to machine rather than shim because by lightening up the flywheel I would gain 50hp.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 4:22pm
Wow that's surprising, I haven't run into the issue before. Sounds like you did the right thing, though I would think shimming would be alright as well.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 4:09pm
TRBenj,
Yes, it is a Sachs/Alta 3leg damper I bought from Ebasic power. Here is the link:
ALTDA-106A

I almost convinced myself to install it without modification to the flywheel or to shim. Just couldn't do it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 2:25pm
Which damper did you buy? I've never had a problem with the 3-leg Sachs/alta damper, which is less expensive and allegedly higher quality. SkiDIM sells it but only lists it for a GM engine (despite dampers being TRANS specific, not engine specific)... The person who had issues in the post you linked looked to have purchased the more expensive round PCM part. Presumably you bought the same one?
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:55pm
To all interested.
While I was trial fitting the damper (flexplate) to the flywheel a while back I realized the damper was not flat against the flywheel, which was frustrating. I forgot that the problem existed until last evening when I was getting it ready to reinstall. Opps!

Upon doing a better search on CCF I found this thread which confirmed I am not crazy: Flex Plate Compatability Thread

My damper would not seat because the rivet location/diameter exceeded the cavity diameter in the flywheel, and mounting it would distort the damper. Two options exist, 1-shim the flexplate with hardened shims of flat washers to allow the plate to be "off-contact" with the flywheel to a height equal or slightly greater than the rivets, 2-grind the cavity to a larger diameter so the cavity will swallow the hub of the damper. I dropped it off at the machine shop just now to get it machined. I do not think simply bolting it down and distorting the plate is an acceptable option. Shimming may be okay, but it seems that the added stability of surface to surface contact between the plate and the flywheel does provide some benefit, although perhaps minimal.   

Thankful for those who have documented this problem here to make it easier for us going through this now. Still hoping to reassemble and install in the SN this Saturday.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 12:25pm
Getting geared up to mate the engine to the bell housing and velvet drive. I would like to reinstall the engine and transmission this Saturday.

Here are my questions:
What is the recommended torque for the flywheel mounting bolts? 85lbs? No Lock-washers?
I assume the bolts need RTV on the treads? If so, that means no Locktite?
What is the correct torque for the flex-plate mounting bolts? Locktite?

wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 11:44pm
Looking great!
Watuugasn84
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 12:45pm
Looking awesome!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 1:17am
10% of total trailered weight
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 12:53am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Arklie,
When the engine was in the boat, how much weight was on the trailer tongue?

The boat sure is coming along great. I'm sure the big day will be when it hits the water.

I too was thinking this. In the photo, does the boat not look like it has a bit too much hanging out back?
On my 78, you could pick up the tongue with little effort. We actually moved the hull a bit forward on the trailer to bring a bit more weight up front......
Is there a specific amount of tongue weight to aim for?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2015 at 12:16am
Looks great!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:44pm
Pete, I cant say for sure since we seldom trailered her. She stayed on my boat lift year round since at least 1992. Today I was able to pick the tongue up with some effort, probably 100 lbs, but the engine transmission, seats, doghouse, and fuel is missing.

If i need to scoot her forward after all the above is reinstalled i will do so in order to make she she isn't tongue light.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:32pm
Arklie,
When the engine was in the boat, how much weight was on the trailer tongue?

The boat sure is coming along great. I'm sure the big day will be when it hits the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:29pm
Very nice! Love the color
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 11:18pm
Repatriated the SN with her trailer today. Glad that's over and she is no longer incarcerated in the garage. Freedom! I was a bit more nervous jacking her up off the stands than I was way back then placing her on the stands. I was thinking about how much more work would need to be undertaken if i were to drop her on the concrete.

Really great getting the garage opened up and getting somewhat reorganized. Probably will need to wait until next weekend to reinstall the engine and transmission. Upholstery is supposed to be ready this week as well.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 10:26pm
OldCuda. I had my local carpet store order it for me. The name is burgundy Ship And Shore delux. They got it from Value Mills in Dalton GA. I ordered 2 pieces of 6' x 20' and it cost $130.80 for each piece. If I had to do over i would have ordered 2 pieces at 16'. I also got 2 gallons of glue, and that was way more than i used.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 3:37pm
Where did you get the carpet ? That's exactly what I need . Real nice job you did there.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2015 at 5:55am
Man, that carpet looks pretty darn nice

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:26pm
Pretty much finished the carpet tonight, just need to figure out the best way to install the panels that attach to the sides of the airbox. I made new panels out of composite and wrapped them with carpet tonight and will get them installed tomorrow. I will probably try the velcro method that someone suggested first since there is no downside to trying it. Not interested in penetrating the fiberglass with fasteners. So if the Velcro doesn't work i may try using some 4200 fast cure blobs.

Tomorrow i will attempt placing the beast back on the trailer without dropping it on the garage floor. Hoping for success. Once i do that the boat will no longer fit in the garage since it has the boarding platform installed now. So, its go or blow.
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 10:54am
I better stop this before it gets out of hand since there seem to be some around here with a thing for red Correct Crafts! Its actually maroon or burgundy. The picture does make it look red., though.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 10:12am
that red looks great!
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2015 at 1:28am
Started on the carpet tonight, going to take me a few nights. Hope to finish on Friday evening in order to attempt loading it back on the trailer this weekend.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 9:28pm
just one of the reports I've seen over the years on this site.

Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

E spark (mallory) seems to be the best. Thats the one i use (86 2001).
My brothers (Pertronix) was bad out of the box.(84 2001)
When you mount the new coil try not to "lay in down" 30* angle or better.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:37pm
I have heard that Zach,no demand anymore. I wonder if Echline from NAPA are still any good? They should be fine until you take a file to them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:36pm
Enough of the points rah rah already. Hear you loud and clear. I must have missed all these documented Pertonix failures?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:34pm
My points work nice

I will say however that current points dont seem to be manufactured as closely as they once were. The points in my boat are NOS from who knows when. The guy had a pallet of NOS 87- Prestolite standard rotation Dizzys on ebay years ago. I should have bought more than one.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 3:29pm
There seems to be a high failure rate lately,I wonder if they have changed their electronics supplier
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 2:45pm
Good to know those springs are still available!

The reason for having 2 different springs is because the advance curve is exactly that- a curve. The shorter/lower tension spring is engaged first, as rpms increase and the spring stretches, the longer/higher tension spring is engaged as well. This allows for a steeper advance slope at lower rpm and a shallower slope at higher rpm.

I hope you have better luck with the Pertronix than others have... My experience has been that the reduced performance and spotty reliability isn't worth the extra cost over points.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 12>
  Share Topic